Daily Weather, January 2006, New Year, New Start!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi 45, lo 40, dp 40, rain 1.01", overcast. Yes, I said rain! First measurable rain in three months. Not a drought breaker but, it'll do for now!

Janet, sorry for the loss of your friend. Friends are hard to come by. My father lived to be 60 and his father to 54! That IS much to young. I'm 65. Uh-oh! The Man Upstairs knows what He's doing. Who are we to question? All these things will be clearly understood (and, make sense) to all of us one day. Take heart sweet lady.

Still recovering from hip surgery and a bout with ms but, I was looking at my Mantis today and I think I'll be giving it its (and my?) first workout in a couple of weeks. :-)

In catching up on my watched threads I have noticed that my favorite (this one) has some new folks and good conversations going!

Btw, didja ya'll know that Janet is the originator of this thread? When was that Janet?

John

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

John good too see you again - Dyson

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Good to hear from you John. Best wishes on your continued recovery.

Freezing rain this AM- now plain ole rain. Looks to be an all day affair.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Good to see you back, John!

Windy as anything here. The wind just roars in the palms and pines, sounding like a distant thunderstorm. I have no way of measuring the wind speed, but if yesterday's gusts were in the 30s, today's must be around 50mph.

Today
Sunny and very windy. Areas of northeast winds 30 to 40 mph with gusts to around 60 mph. Highs in the mid 60s to lower 70s.

Updated: 7:51 AM PST on January 23, 2006
Observed At: Van Nuys, California
60 °F / 16 °C
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 2 °F / -17 °C

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

I'm out the door this AM, but I am so happy to see you posting again John, and so good to hear that your making progress in your recovery. We've been getting updates from others, but it's so good to hear it from you. Thank you for your kind thoughts, and everyone else too. Thanks so much. We've got some sunshine here today and looking forward to getting out in it and digging in the dirt some. Really helps me put things into perspective.

39 °F / 4 °C
Fog
Windchill: 34 °F / 1 °C
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 39 °F / 4 °C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h from the SSE

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Thanks you se_eds,............ Nice to meet you John, hope you keep on recovering well so we can see you posting on a regular basis. I have noticed that the ladies here have missed you :0))

It has been cloudy and some sun glimps today.
A freezing -0 F brrrrrrrrr

Sure glad I didnt have to go outside today, just opened the door and let the dogs out, and they where quickly inside again.
Janett

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Getting in those supplies was a smart thing Janett, now you can curl up with a book and look at all that snow and cold from inside.

We started out at 19* this morning and will go to the mid-40s this afternoon. Cloudless skies, NO wind, 40% Hum and a DP of 10*
Still have snow patches on the north side of things [even a tall clump of grass has its own litte shadow of snow].

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

JOHN!!!! Sooooooooooooooo glad to see you post. Missed you a whole bunch!!
Pati

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

48.9°, 93%, Verry overcast

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

37 °F / 3 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 26 °F / -4 °C
Humidity: 100%
Wind: 26 mph / 43 km/h from the WNW
Wind Gust: 32 mph / 52 km/h

Another damp and windy day here.

Sorry to hear about your friend and his father Janet.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Lilypon. . . here's a cheery sight. My daughter gave me this about a week ago and the tulips were about 3 inches tall. They grow about an inch a day and all the blooms started popping yesterday. Spring. . . can it be nigh?

Thumbnail by jcangemi
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

We got 4 inches of snow this morning before it turned to rain and drizzle. What a mess, the city expected it to turn to rain sooner and did not start to plow until after the rush hour.
This is the one year anniversary of the Blizzard of '05, almost 3 feet. That was a real mess.
Andy P

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

:) That is a feast for my eyes,,,,,,,thanks Janet! :)

It just keeps at it.

The High Wind Warning is now in effect until 4 PM PST this
afternoon.

Strong northeast winds will affect the warning area through this
afternoon. Northeast winds 30 to 45 mph with gusts to 60 mph are
expected... especially through and below passes and canyons.

... Significant wind reports as of 443 am PST...

Los Angeles County
Leo carrillo beach... ... ... ... ..northeast 15 mph gusting to 37 mph.
Burbank... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .Northeast 23 mph gusting to 33 mph.
Malibu Hills... ... ... ... ... ... ..north 32 mph gusting to 56 mph.
Newhall pass... ... ... ... ... ... ..north 29 mph gusting to 52 mph.
Saugus... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..north 14 mph gusting to 31 mph.

Ventura County
Cheeseboro... ... ... ... ... ... ... .northeast 25 mph gusting to 51 mph.
Simi Valley... ... ... ... ... ... ... Northeast 13 mph gusting to 33 mph.
Thousand Oaks... ... ... ... ... ... .northeast 15 mph gusting to 33 mph.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It was SO nice to get some rain this weekend!!! We only got a little bit over an inch, according the the NWS, but I think we may have gotten a bit more than that on this side of town, anyway. It looks like it may rain again this weekend. We'll take it!!

Current conditions:
Partly Cloudy 66°F (19°C)
Humidity: 40 %
Wind Speed: Vrbl 6 MPH
Barometer: 30.25" (1024.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 41°F (5°C)

~ Marylyn

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Hang onto your hat Kelli.

We just had a hum dinger of a thunderstorm ( at the end of January) - winds over 40 mph and ice balls - yes I thought it was snow, but it was ice balls with thunder and lightening. It was all over in 10 minutes. Temps dropped from 46 to 28 in 5 minutes. WOW - I'll take just plain snow any day.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

A thundersnow!

Hi 68, lo 31, dp 28, clear, no wind.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

yiks, winter thunderstorm hope you stayed at home.
They say sunny here all day but when I woke up it...... cloudy. Hope the warmth and sun scatter the cloud . we need sun.
Temp, 28 dgr F
Janett
Edit to say: We got the sunshine.....yeahhhhhhh 13:th day of sunshine out of 86 days.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2006 1:43 PM

Oh, look at this!

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on January 25, 2006
52 °F / 11 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 41 °F / 5 °C
*******Wind: Calm********

(I don't hate the wind but I can do without the day after day stuff , and the low humidity day was starting to bother my sinuses.)

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Outside picking up sticks this early AM. Then off to a noontime military funeral for a beloved brother-in-law. Temps in the thirties, 40 mph winds and blowing snow. A Goosedown parka-hood-up-around-your-face type of day. I bet he is already sowing his favorite sweet pea seeds in heaven.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi 69, lo 32, dp 31, pc, no wind. 70% chance of showers and t-storms fri. thru sat. morning. Can hardly wait.....been really dry around here! ;-)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

37.8°, 47%, seeds- hopeing you well through difficult times

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

se_eds and Dyson . . . seems we've all had our share of sorrow recently. You're right about 'difficult times', Dyson. How are you and your family doing after the loss of your sister in November? Tomorrow is the service for my friend that passed last Saturday. And sorry to hear about your loss as well se_eds. Take care everyone.

47 °F / 8 °C
Clear
Windchill: 45 °F / 7 °C
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 43 °F / 6 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h from the NNW
Pressure: 30.14 in / 1021 hPa
Visibility: 5.0 miles /

Pretty quiet and clear out tonight.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

I see some strange bright light outside...............could it be............YES its the sun. :0))

Temp is 30 dgr F
Absolutly now wind.
Janett

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

woohooo,

A heat wave! with the sun!

enjoy the bikini weather tayson80,

best,
don

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Howdy all, we are having great weather here in Orlando although it has been in the 50s the last few days.
I'm headed to meet Happy1 and other South Florida Gallopokg Gardeners this afternoon. 2 days in Fort Lauderdale and maybe a visit with Pati.
Sidney

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Sound as if you are gonna have some fun days.
And here we have another day of what Don refers to as a bikini-day :0)) Yeah if you belong to those nutters who ski in bikinis just to get a nice sun tan. I promise I DONT belong to those :)
Janett

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

WHAT? A visit to Pati? Oh my gosh, where's my duster.....come on Doxies, get those toys back into the basket.....TomKitty, get OFF the bed so I can make it! You remember that pretty puffy thing that used to be on there everyday, well it's going back on. Pull in those claws!

Checked out the weather for the weekend and it looks like it's going to be good. Overcast, but temps in the 70's.
WHEEEEE!!
Pati

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's supposed to rain again tomorrow. Yayyy! I'd rather have it rain during the week instead of the weekend, of course, but we're just grateful to be getting it at all!!

Current Conditions:
Mostly Cloudy 51°F (11°C)
Humidity: 74 %
Wind Speed: E 7 MPH
Barometer: 30.33" (1027.6 mb)
Dewpoint: 43°F (6°C)
Wind Chill: 48°F (9°C)

It's going to get up to almost 70° today.

~ Marylyn

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Low: 23*
Right Now 32*
Overcast skies way up there - no sun getting thru
They say we're going to 49* today... not unless those high clouds go away
Hum 91%
DP 27*
No wind

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Today
Cloudy
Temperature: -2 °C = 28.4 degree Fahrenheit
Pressure/ Tendency 101.3 kPa↑
Visibility 24 km
Humidity 89 %
Dewpoint -3 °C
Wind SE 8 km/h

Yesterday

Max Temp. 6.3 °C = 43.34 degree Fahrenheit
Min Temp. -0.8 °C
Precip Total 0.0 mm

If this continues I'll be working out in my garden soon. ;)

This message was edited Jan 27, 2006 11:42 AM

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yeah, right!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

We've had over a month of zero and above temperatures (daytime;) John. We had less than one week ( 3-4 days) with -20C temps (-30C with windchill) and a couple of other days that dropped into the (-10's C) other than those days this whole winter here (SK) has danced around 32 degree F (in the last month more have been well above 32 degree F).

Here's an article about Northern Saskatchewan/Manitoba/Alberta: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060120.wxreserves20/BNStory/National/

Balmy Winter Stings Natives
Warmth hinders road construction, putting northern reserves at risk

By JULIUS STRAUSS and KATHERINE HARDING
Friday, January 20, 2006 Posted at 4:54 AM EST

From Friday's Globe and Mail

WINNIPEG and EDMONTON — Remote native reserves across the north of the Prairie provinces are on the brink of disaster, community leaders say, because of unseasonably high temperatures.

The balmy winter has meant that several fly-in reserves have been unable to put in the winter roads on which they depend to stock up on fuels, materials and food for the rest of the year.

In northern Manitoba, Garden Hill First Nation and four other communities in the Island Lake region declared a state of emergency last week and are calling for immediate government assistance.

"We're slowly running out of supplies," Chief David Harper said. "We've run out of fuel already. . . . We use wood fuel to heat our houses, but without gasoline, we can't run our snowmobiles to collect the wood.

Advertisements

"The swamps are not freezing. The river and the creeks are open. It's just a totally different year."

The people of Island Lake last faced such a disaster in 1998, when the winter road was open for only a week before a thaw forced authorities to close it. The province and Ottawa then paid $15-million to alleviate rising costs.

This year, the Island Lake communities might not be able to even install the winter road, a snaking 400-kilometre track across lakes and frozen muskeg.

Chief Harper says if that happens, the cost of disaster relief could reach $30-million. He is urging the authorities to act immediately, including bringing in supplies by military aircraft.

"We're looking at Hercules," he said. "They're out there doing exercises all over the world. Now we need them in our own backyard and we can't get them."

A four-litre jug of milk is selling on the Garden Hill reserve for a little over $16. That could soon rise to $20 and more.

With the price of other staples also expected to climb, large families, many of them already poor, could face hugely inflated grocery bills.

"We need fuel, food and construction supplies," Chief Harper said. "We're preparing for the worst. Prices are going to be enormous."

Most years, the winter roads to the Island Lake communities open on Jan. 16 and close in March. The ice must be at least 80 centimetres thick before passage is considered safe.

At the moment, the ice is only between 20 and 50 centimetres thick. The best-case scenario is that the road will open on Jan. 31. But even if that happens, the authorities are likely to restrict trucks to half-loads, meaning twice as many truckloads would be needed to bring in supplies.

The Island Lake region isn't the only area calling for help.

"The reserves of the Interlake region are taking the lead on this issue but there are at least four or five other reserves impacted [in Manitoba]," said Michael Hutchinson of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs.

In neighbouring Saskatchewan, at least two more communities are running short on fuel. Wollaston Lake and Fond-du-Lac first nations say they are out of gasoline, and Wollaston Lake says it is running low on propane, used to heat some homes and the local school.

The lack of gasoline has also become a major problem for the Hatchet Lake band, about a 10 hours' drive north of Saskatoon. "We've run out," said the band's acting chief, Alec Josie.

The band's winter road isn't passable, so its 1,500 members depend on planes to bring in supplies, including gas.

Mr. Josie said that when fuel is available, it costs about $2.40 a litre. When the winter road is open, it's about $1.20. He is considering declaring a state of emergency because propane is also running low.

"I can't stop watching the weather reports," Mr. Josie said.

Don Deranger, vice-chief of the Prince Alberta Grand Council, said the warm weather and lack of ice roads is becoming a "crisis situation" for three of the 12 northern Saskatchewan communities it represents.

"We've had mild winters for the past five years, but this is unprecedented," he said. Mr. Deranger said the ice roads must be at least 100 centimetres thick to be safe, but most are about 38 centimetres.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2006 12:44 PM

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Good report, Pam! Shows clearly that all things are relative. Who'd of thunk that the LACK of snow and ice cover would cause a disaster! Thanks.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Lilypon, Very interesting. Thanks for the info.
We had a rare "normal" day here.
AM low 18F high 36F west wind at 10 and nice blue sky.
May get up to the 50s tomorrow.
Andy P

Same old November-style weather.

Updated: 3:51 PM PST on January 27, 2006
Observed At: Van Nuys, California
60 °F / 16 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 27 °F / -3 °C
Wind: 16 mph / 26 km/h from the NNW
Wind Gust: 26 mph / 43 km/h

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi 52, lo 39, dp 42, oc, s2. Radar shows rain to the west headed this-a-way! Yahooooo!!!

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Rereading some posts, get a somewhat funny feeling. How different we want our weather to be this winter. Some of us cheering like crazy when its pouring rain, some do the happy dance just for a few days of sun (like me) And some wants it to be snowy and freezing cold. are we all living on the same planet :0))
Lilypond I don't joke about your situation........its awful, but I can get it though why they don't invest in hovvercraft of some kind, like the Islanders have done in our archipelags. They are wintertime in the same spot that you are in, and now they aren't bound on how thick the ice is. We have 221.800 islands thats not connected with a bridge, 7032 of the are inhabited, and have no winter boat traffic to them. They dont get help from the goverment with supplies and stuff. Some of them have joined toghether in buying a hovver to get their supplies out. some even built their own hovvers. Maybe its time for your Chiefs to start to look in this with a new aproche since this winterweather situation globewise have started to change rappidly and enormously. just some toughts.

Here is another. When 9-11 tragedy happened all airoplanes where grounded for three day, During these three days the average temp rised one (1) dgr on every single weather station ALL over Amerika, doesnt that tell us something?? Like the old Chinese saying: Even a butterflies wing beat..................................... everything matters.

Woke up to this beautiful sunrise.
Sunny day is expected :0))
Temps around 32 F
yes we are getting warmer, hope its holding on.
Janett

This message was edited Jan 28, 2006 2:56 PM

Thumbnail by Janett_D
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Observed at: Moose Jaw Airport 28 January 2006 9:00 AM CST
Mainly Sunny Temperature -3 °C
Pressure/ Tendency 101.2 kPa↓
Visibility 24 km Humidity 67 %
Wind Chill -9

Regional Normals
Max Temp. -7 °C
Min Temp. -18 °C

Forecast from Environment Canada Saturday :
* High 2 °C = 35.6 degree Fahrenheit Sunny with cloudy periods

Good idea Janet and they may end up having to do that........right now tho they are like the people in the Gulf States (ie. needing houses built on stilts). Caught between what was the norm (up to 5 years ago) and what the future may hold.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2006 10:08 AM

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for that gorgeous view again outside your window Janett. Kind of cloudy and overcast here today, with a ray or 2 of sunshine occasionally. We may get some rain today.

43 °F / 6 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 37 °F / 3 °C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.38 in / 1029 hPa
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.