Snatchin' Part XI..Fruits of my labor.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Pixy, if you've got the cuttings bagged, bottled or otherwise covered so they're in a miniature greenhouse, you generally won't need to water untill you have new growth and are uncovered. If you do water, bottom watering is the best.

I've killed many cuttings... well, the mold/fungus has done them in down in the basement. Except geraniums and sedum. They don't even need to be covered.

I've done something different this summer. A couple of my old aquariums had been outside and had covered cuttings before. They've become cloudy (dirt and mold). So I potted cuttings of the Blue Bird hibiscus and the Autumn Damask rose and set them under the aquariums in the shade of the Bing Cherry trees. I mulch the fruit trees with straw so the pots are nestled in that. 100% even with the 8 days of mid 90's and high humidity. 4 of the hibiscus are getting mailed today. In fact I put a new set of the hibiscus in there on 6/18. Based on that, I made something similar when I received a bunch of variegated daphne cuttings (swaps for the hibiscus). I took a piece of garden wire fence and bent it into a box shape as wide as a flat and about twice as tall. I had some very heavy plastic bags that just fit over this wire cage. I put the flat in there, twisted and tied the end then spray painted the top of the bag with white paint for plastic. To give block/filter any light that might sneak through the fruit trees.

Here's the aquariums.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

This was the bagged cage before painting and moving out.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Those are good ideas Blaine!!!

Hey Ivy! I don't remember how many times I cut my lettuce back but it always grows right back!

Nicole

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I just applied for membership to the failed cuttings club. Yesterday I took cuttings from clematis (4) and used the rooting harmone, so we will see if it is successful. Am going to do a cutting of butterfly bush also today. Just curious to see if I can do it. I'll let you know.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I haven't had an luck with clematis cuttings. But you can have guaranteed success by layering a vine in pots.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

NC- Thanks for the lettuce advice! I think they are just growing slow due to the 80 Johnny Jump ups and Alaska Nasturtiums taking over!

Does anyone water their cuttings with Hydrogen Peroxide added? I saw this trick on another thread. I tried it on my seeds and houseplants this year and it worked great! Kept them mold free and no damping off. Houseplants never looked better. I thought it might help rooted cuttings as well, but I don't know for sure. I guess it helps plants take up nutrients and helps them "breathe".

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes I love Peroxide!! Learned it from here of course!! :)

Defoecat, I accept your membership! (Misery loves company). I had my geranium cuttings covered loosely with a plastic bag. Since they appeared to be too wet, I removed the bag and moved them outside into the shade by all my potted plants.
What's the dilution of hydrogen peroxide? I should probably do that, since the one cutting that failed in this pot had grey fungus.
I do have a greenhouse, and part of the corner is shaded from the direct sun (not that it's been much of a problem this year). I'm just always afraid they will get too hot in there and fry.
Today, all three of the cuttings that are left are still alive.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I used about 2 to 5 capfuls of Hydrogen Peroxide to a spray bottle, filling up the rest of the bottle with water but I never was sure of the amount. To get really confused, here are 3 other sites where no one can make up their minds either.....

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/488276/

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/481981/

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/491011/

Well, maybe the dilution rate is not critical, as long as it's 'fairly dilute'! Sort of like making a cake - a pinch of this and a sprinkle of that...

Update on hydrangea cuttings: remember I placed them in my 'bog' filter, which is basically an undergravel filter like you would have in an aquarium, only on a larger scale - water with lots of nutrients and pea gravel. So far the cuttings are looking good! No wilting at all and appear to be actually growing leaves! I'm planning to just keep them there all summer and see what happens. Also have some willow cuttings stuck in there, but I don't know if they will make it. I know they are supposed to be easy to root, since they basically have 'rooting hormone' built in, but these were part of a trade and it took a long time for the box to get to me. I think it got lost. They weren't in very good shape when I got them, although one of them looked like it was growing a root already. Much of the stem was black, so if I lose these I won't feel guilty.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I have an admission to make - I don't even measure my HP. I just dump a little into the water! One twist of the wrist is usually it. So far I haven't killed anything! LOL!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Good luck with those hydrangeas! I rooted one once, but was never able to do it again. I think they have to be just the right size and softness or they won't root.

I scored some Daisy seedlings from my neighbor! I think she just got sick of taking care of them! I have five. Anybody ever grow Daisies? I never have. I also got some Basil, and poor Poppies, which I immediately killed off.

Boy do I grow daisies! Are you talking the tall white variety? They're a great, hardy plant that is good with just about everything, but spread like crazy both from roots and seeds. Cut the blooms back hard when they look ragged for a second flush of bloom. Mine get very tall and sometimes tend to kind of fall over. I consider them a bit like lamb's ear - great filler when I don't have anything else, and good underneath leggy plants that need to hide their bare legs. Good score!

Guess I better take a bottle of hydrogen peroxide out to the greenhouse so I won't forget to use it!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Pixydish! I put them at the top edge of a stone wall in full sun. Hope they like it hot. Do you water a lot or a little? I think of them as dryish plants but realize I don't actually know that for sure.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, I did do something pretty neat! In Spring I cut of 2 sticks of my Plumeria, dug a small hole for each, and put rooting gel in the bottom. Guess what? I have LEAVES!!! Someone at the GA Roundup told me you could do that. Talk about easy rootin!!!

Rootin tootin! My son was tootin this morning! LOL! He pooted then said, "I pretend pooted mommy," I said no you didn't! That was a real one!! LOL!!!

Nicole

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

bawahahahaha...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've been using 1 Tbsp of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to a quart of water.

I snatched a cutting of a pretty trailing coleus from a windowbox outside a restaurant yesterday afternoon! I had a couple hours of erranding to do after that, so I made DH take it back to his office to put in a cup of water. He just stood there looking guilty when I pinched it, but hey, it was getting all leggy at the bottom... I should've taken several pinches! Maybe we need to return to that restaurant soon.... Acutally, we need to go back soon anyway, as it was the best Indian food I've had in this area!

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I just got some variegated hibiscus tips from a taco bell near my house! who would have known plant designers are infiltrating all public spaces, and i love it. more rare plants for me!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

There's a Walgreens near my MIL's house that has a really dark catmint variety. It's on the busiest road, though. I don't know how to snatch some without someone noticing. Do you think it would be wrong to see if I could pull up some roots? Just a little.....My Six Hills Giant catmint will bring up a stem with roots if you just pull on it.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Ivy what if you are admiring it and accidentally break off your piece? That's how I got a nice pink coleus from Walmart not to long ago! It was an accident I promise!!!

nicole

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

and tha'ts also how I got the columbine seeds form Walmart -- I swear they just break right off.....LOL!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sometimes the best way to snatch is to just walk up with your cutters, trowel, etc. and look like you're supposed to be doing it. Of course, it helps if you look like a low paid blue collar worker, like I do!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I definitely look like a low paid blue collar worker- I'm a Mom, and I have the stains to prove it!

I'm a no-paid blue collar worker.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2005 3:06 PM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

As long as you aren't a 'no-spade' blue collar worker, you should be able to bluff your way into a bit of unsolicited digging! LOL!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Weezingreens! Is it ethical to take a bit of root, do you think? I'm awful at cuttings.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It's always a question concerning digging up something. I'm likely to bend the rules a bit under certain circumstances:

It's in a public place.
It's got lots of extra growth.
It's being neglected or due to be demolished.
I'm unable to control myself.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Goin serious snatching tomorrow!!| Haven't been in awhile, fingers are getting itchy. Hitting all the public places to see what's available. You can tell that "idle hands are the devil's workshop" as my mom used to say. Guess I don't have enough to do in my garden, so I will just make something to do!! Will fill you in later tomorrow.

Ivy, why would it be ethical to separate a little plant from its roots? Of course you need the roots! Isn't that what long fingernails are for? So you go at night, undercover of darkness, wearing your batman clothes. You park sort of in front of the patch of mint with your driver's door right by it if possible. Looking innocent, you open the door like you're going to throw out your left over coffee from that morning. You lean out, grab a handful of the mint at the very bottom, and give a hard yank. If the ground is extra dry, you pour a bottle of water over it first to soften it up. If you don't get some roots that way, you go in for a second pass using a strong kitchen spoon. You can do it. Just be bold. Attitude is half the battle!

I say follow weezingreen's rules! Especially the last one.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

You guys are a riot! Pixydish, I love the idea of using bottled water! Maybe if I dress up like a giant catmint, and plop myself down on the ground with my spoon.....

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

a huge kitchen spoon is the BEST idea!

Ivy, what you need is an old WWII helmet. Then you just glue your catmint on and you're set! Or if you have long hair, just stick long stems in your hair. I always look like that when I come out of the garden. No one will notice, you'll just blend right in!

Or how about this disguise (then I'm going to leave this computer and go outside): You'll need a clipboard (VERY professional looking), some baggies, glasses (so you'll look studious), a fake chart for the clipboard, a few botanical reference books, tags for the plants, a camera (digital is best), and some actual garden tools. You'll be disguised as a graduate student doing research for an important yet-to-be published paper. You enter the Walgreens and address the manager of the store saying you are attending __________ (input name of prestigious university) and doing research on types of 'flora' (note botanical term here) used in professionally done landscapes in the northeastern quadrant of the U.S., especially those that could be influenced by sea air. You are measuring the types of pollution that are absorbed into the plant tissue and how it affects their growth. You would like permission to take some plant samples from their landscape. You promise the sample size will be small, and they'll never notice it's missing.

If you shop at this store, you might want to wear a wig and big dark glasses. If you play your cards right, you'll be able to get 'samples' from every store on the street! WAHOO!

Hey, my undergraduate degree was in Animal Behavior and Ecology, with a research empahsis. I am qualified to make this stuff up! LOL

Oh, forgot to answer your question about the daisies. They can take dry conditions once they are established.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Pixydish, Makes me actually want to do the study! Thanks, for the great ideas and the daisy info. I'm going out, too. See ya!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

there's many products around the yard from snatching! (my own and from other sites)

Here's the fruits of my labor.
http://www.cityofzion.com/city_departments/building_department/homes_of_the_month/index.htm

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Wow! You're a celebrity! What a beautiful yard you have. I love the structure of it, the highs and lows, the little strip of grass(or moss) for a path. It's lovely, and you deserve the recognition!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I want More and BIGGER pictures. It is beautiful Blaine, and everyone thinks you spend a fortune right?
sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Most excellent Blaine, I will try to send some pics of the yokohama squash plants this week, I think they were crowded but seem to be growing well. Hopefully we won't get flooded by dennis, cindy got us really wet for a couple of days.

Some of you in really dry parts of the country need to send shippping instructions for wet wx, will glady send it your way.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey Dyson!!
"wet wx" ? uh, yeah... I need a gross of that. Our drought status has been raised. I think they call it Severe or Extreme. Either way we be dryyyyyyy.
I was way late but finally did something with my Yokohama squash. Couldn't decide where to put them so I stuck them in a couple of big containers out front. I may regret it because these boys are taking off!

yeah Sidney - I've been asked who the landscaper was or told how lucky I am to have a family who helps do this. Yeah - right. ;) The most expensive part of it is probably beer, smokes and then the winter gym membership to get back in fighting shape for the spring brawl. :) (well, that and correcting goofs while under the influence. I see I've got yellow foot prints in what little grass is left again. Must've stepped in some roundup on a recent search and destroy mission)

I guess I could put a string of pics up over in Perennials or photo or something.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well Weeze, breeze thru and get us a new thread before long.

Blaine, They may get more viewing in one of those forums. You will link us. I post a great deal in Coleus myself. The easy stuff.

Snatching 2005, Kitchen Tissue Culture, has come to Jax.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/526414/ I will have my application in tomorrow.
sidney

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sidney for the info on the tissue culture class. Sounds great and their website said they are working on getting them in PA... YAY! Have fun and learn lots!! ~ Suzi :)

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Make sure your brakes are working and if you see a refigerator on the curb for trash picku, lock up the brakes!! I don't know why I've passed so many by before. Yesterday one caught my eye because of what looked like a metal basket in it instead of the usual plastic drawers.

It's PERFECT!! Was going to save it for harvest when the veggies and fruit starts ripening but this morning I discovered it was a perfect fit for 8 1gal pots. These are 7 Autumn Damask rose cuttings I just repotted since they've rooted. (lost 1 of 8). That an a brug.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2005 2:33 PM

Thumbnail by 8ftbed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.