Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Snatchin' Part XI..Fruits of my labor., 1 by 8ftbed

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 8ftbed

In reply to: Snatchin' Part XI..Fruits of my labor.

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Snatchin' Part XI..Fruits of my labor.
8ftbed wrote:
Pixy, if you've got the cuttings bagged, bottled or otherwise covered so they're in a miniature greenhouse, you generally won't need to water untill you have new growth and are uncovered. If you do water, bottom watering is the best.

I've killed many cuttings... well, the mold/fungus has done them in down in the basement. Except geraniums and sedum. They don't even need to be covered.

I've done something different this summer. A couple of my old aquariums had been outside and had covered cuttings before. They've become cloudy (dirt and mold). So I potted cuttings of the Blue Bird hibiscus and the Autumn Damask rose and set them under the aquariums in the shade of the Bing Cherry trees. I mulch the fruit trees with straw so the pots are nestled in that. 100% even with the 8 days of mid 90's and high humidity. 4 of the hibiscus are getting mailed today. In fact I put a new set of the hibiscus in there on 6/18. Based on that, I made something similar when I received a bunch of variegated daphne cuttings (swaps for the hibiscus). I took a piece of garden wire fence and bent it into a box shape as wide as a flat and about twice as tall. I had some very heavy plastic bags that just fit over this wire cage. I put the flat in there, twisted and tied the end then spray painted the top of the bag with white paint for plastic. To give block/filter any light that might sneak through the fruit trees.

Here's the aquariums.