Plant Propagation ,The Basics Continued Oct -Nov

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Debra you're going to have tomatoes in winter...you're so smart...and frugal. I've been rooting some tropicals from cuttings sent to me by a really great girl. Would you think the nubs that showed up are root nubs or leaf nubs. If they are root nubs, should I transplant them now or wait for more roots?

This message was edited Nov 14, 2015 1:38 AM

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lisa, you mean the peppers. To pollinate them. I am sure you know enough about tomatoes to know they have both male and female sex organs in every flower on a tomato. As far as the peppers go, maybe she does the same way I used to do my tomatoes before I knew the afore mentioned. I used to stick my finger in every flower. The pollen stuck to my finger and pollinated the next one and so on.

Gosh, it's time to go to bed Saturday night. 24 hours after you all were on here last night. 'nite all. JU, hope you are feeling better. Rid of the flu bug etc., jen

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi, well in the living quarters you wouldn't want to have this but I let the fruit flies and gnats do the pollinating and they do a real good job. Then I also "blow" and tickle them with a tiny paintbrush when I can find it LOL
Really nice to have the natural light for your plants. My natural light upstairs keeps Joe's giant tropical tree philo happy in the north window and my desert rose and friends happy in the south window and that covers the upstairs as far as natural light. LOL
Robin, go ahead and transplant if you have nubs. :D
Ju, please take care of yourself and don't over do it.
Jen, you are next, I'm sending you a small Rose of Sharon plant.

Gypsy, Lisa do either of you want any seeds or starts? :D gotta get stuff out now so we won't be freezing anything in the mail.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Jen. Peppers are the same, they can be pollinated by insects but they don't need to be, I was just wondering if she shakes the whole plant or does individual flowers.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks Debra. I hope you're all enjoying some nice fall weather. Ju, I hope you get better soon.

cold windy gray, been playing outside all day, back and forth to the basement with stuff I thought I'd try to propagate this winter, dug up a bunch of small trees, taking them to work for this guy who has 100 acres he needs trees for. They needed to be OUT of my flower beds.
Cut some mums to spread around, found a young smoke tree growing in the midst of some other stuff, moved it to a grow tub outside, found some rooted old fashioned lilacs , moved them also.. busy busy.. now I am ready to cook some buffalo wings for supper.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Debra, thank you so much for the generous offer, especially since I'm a newbie to this forum, but no I don't need any starts or seeds. Thank you so much!

Fort Worth, TX

Thank you but I don't think I have room for one more seed or start. Need to get peony bed dug and the peonies out of pots and in the grounds before it gets too cold. It is raining and chilly here now. Going to get some sleep.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Really Gypsi! Peonies. How long have you had them in pots? I planted some from an old homestead in the area 20 years ago and I know they need dividing, but I can't get down there to do it. They are a deep red and just gorgeous.

Thank you Debra for the ROS in advance. LOL, I would love to give it a try in a pot in the house. Outside in the summer. Just like I do all my tropicals. OH, what is the philo tree that Joe has? Would love to see it. Can you post a picture? I hope my house isn't too hot and dry for the ROS. Bob keeps humidifiers going and I have 3 of the kind you put under plants on some of them but those should help all of them, by putting the humidity in the air.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Think this needs a new start JU or anybody. Sorry, I don't remember how to do it or I would. But it is up to 249 now. Jen

Fort Worth, TX

I dug the peonies up this summer next to a young couple's house, they were going to put in a deck and I told them what they were and they invited me to take them. As it was in the 100's I just shoved them, root damaged as they were, in big flower pots on the north side of my house. Mine never did well at my old house, so I got out in the Peonies forum on DG and asked where and how to plant them and got advice. I really like DG. No idea what color these peonies will be but I don't much care and neither do my bees

here we go, follow us to the new thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1409390/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.