Plant Propagation ,The Basics Continued Oct -Nov

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Their beginning their Hibernation to await spring , The little animals ? lol
yes the seeds are going dormant Jen ,
You know , their down there in their little comfy earth caves with their mud blankets , lol

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

...and their little stone pillows ; )

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm excited for my day off which is now and just dying to get started planting stuffs, but going to use common sense and wait until I wake up and can see. LOL
brrr! still no furnace on, but I'll be toasty once I'm in bed. Going to be 60 tomorrow so looking forward to getting a lot done. Patti is coming over to get leaves.. we have 7 bags so far for her, huge bags.
Rose(my 34 yr old daughter) is coming over to work the compost and trim stuff away from the arbors. I have two passion vines growing and I guess I just have her cut them to the round and mulch them. I don't know which ones they are. I also have a small variegated lonicera to mulch up on the north arbor. The porcelain vine and halls honeysuckle and sweet autumn clematis will have to be taken out and moved from the south patio arbor because of the new patio .. it is butted up against the old one.. the framing will be done before I can plant there again, arch and all has to come out. Then we need to dig some of the 4 o clock tubers out around the back step gardens. then we have to dig up the bigroot morning glory on the north edge of the patio and the bog pond and all it's contents. it all butts up against the patio. All the tubs and barrells will have to be emptied and refilled after. Not doing a lot of this until end of February.. maybe I will wake everything up a little early. okay, after reading that, I'm already tired LOL oh, mental note, *move all the cannas to one location.* okay. but wait, there is more .. LMAO

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Did someone say my name? Yes, I watch this thread. I lurk and learn. Debra, you, with that list of things to do, have worn me out already. LOL. Huge bags of leaves? Perfect! See you in a few hours.

If anyone deserves a great day off just hanging out 'doing a few little things' in the garden, it's you Debra. LMAO too!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin) ROFL

I'm not doing as much this fall with leaves and such Great compost though , Humus mulch to worm humus here ,,

Debra, you are so special. Thank you and thank you again for the seven huge bags of leaves. These will get chopped up Tuesday and I am so excited. I want worms!

Tucker was certainly ready to get out of that front seat by the time we hit the driveway. He kept gazing longingly at all the bags occupying his space. ROTFL

Hey, GitaGal from a Mid Atlantic forum posted this and she said she loves it. The only thing left to do is convince my DH we can't live without it.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Ultra-250-mph-350-CFM-Electric-12-Amp-Blower-Vacuum-Mulcher-51619/205746070

It's lighter duty than I wanted, it doesn't chip but, it's a lot cheaper and better than nothing.

Oh Hay, that is really cool, might put that on my Christmas list for Joe. well, we really haven't done anything we planned today..

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Robin, I don't understand how it mulches. I looked at it and even the enlarged pictures, but only thing I can think, it must vacuum, suck the leaves up and shoot the mulch out the back end? Have to dodge the mulch. LOL, oh, I forgot it has a bag. I think with a small one like that it would take you all winter to mulch 7 big bags of leaves. Can you mulch up weeds? I suppose you would have to cut them up some to go thru the tube.

So Debra, you say the 4 o'clocks develop tubers? I didn't know that. That is why they are perennials. Guess I had better get some seeds going for next year. I have the seeds, but never got them planted.

Debra, you must have known I just got new glasses. That is why you had your caps lock on. LOL, thanks. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a blower , vacuum with the mulching fan wheel (Weed Eater) 9 yrs old or so in use right now , as granny says hey a sunny Sunday , and I feel like playing outside for a while , .. Big Smile ,

Robin I almost forgot , this mulch pic is for you Here is what it looks like , And granny told me to leave her machine alone when I started to myself and to ""go get me another cord " lol

1 compost bin , 2 full leaf in the compost bin for comparison 3 on the drive to see .

4 sunset two days ago

This message was edited Nov 8, 2015 4:23 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin if the link works here is ours ,

www.orangedove.net/weed-eater-power-blower-2540-n1045.html
okay try again
Weed Eater Power Blower 2540 - New York, NY ...
www.orangedove.net/weed-eater-power-blower-2540-n1045.html

[PDF]OM, 2540, 2560, 1995-05, BLOWERS - Weed Eater
www.weedeater.com/ddoc/weeo/.../weeo1995_usen__530083779.pdf

This message was edited Nov 8, 2015 4:40 PM

The first link worked Ju, I just had to copy and paste. That's a nice blower, I wonder if it's as heavy as what we've been using...the motor off our shop vacs. If I had the mulcher function all these years, my soil would be like black gold by now. Oh well, let's hope the next generation of owners are gardeners and appreciate the work done today.

Nice compost bin too. Is Granny outside mulching leaves?

Jen, the mulching factor is a metal impeller and shreds the leaves as you vacuum them up. I'm sure it's slower going than I would like but the alternative for me is to run over the leaves multiple times with the mower. Oh well, nothings for free and outside work is good to have. Except when its below 50 degrees, then I'd gladly do inside stuff.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, yeah Robin, too bad you can't mulch inside. How about the food processor or blender? LOL I thought that must be the way they work. By vacuum, and it chops them into the bag? All of the leaf trees I have around here are Birch trees. An alder here and there but all the rest are needles, mostly cedar and Larch. The Larch are starting to turn golden now and in among the green needle trees they make a very pretty picture. They are the only needle trees that lose their needles in the winter. At least in our area. Might be more in other areas.

When we first moved here I thought they were dying. I told my folks about all the trees that were dying and my mom told me they were Larch and lose their needles. Wouldn't make a very good Christmas tree would they.

Anyway what I started to say, was the leaves I do get have such small leaves and the wind blows them when they are turning so they are all over the yard. Kinda difficult to get into a pile like JU has to mulch. But they look good JU. Very good mulch you've got.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin you were talking about the coffee grinder , That Hammer mill effect (gears ,wheels etc) is what it takes for Jen's needles and heavier objects Even such items to reach across a small bucket are expensive , .
The Auger I set on a couple axle bearings , has a crushing chopping effect , but there are a bunch of angles ,to assemble properly ,
I have one partly assembled I will see if it sets handy while I clean , it is in a rather inconvenient place at the moment , To show a pic (
I once built one out of train and auto wheel hubs and axles , an old ford or chevy engine , and an old dumpster , Like the old belt and pulley sawmills
Well I will test and re-test a few , I am not real dependable , but I like equipment that is , lol

Robin . granny was mulching leaves when you asked ,
And the device is heavy , until you hold it by the handle , ours points down and lifts when your holding it by the handle . I would say it feels a little heavier than the shop vac (full size) and lighter when held by the handle ,

This message was edited Nov 8, 2015 7:11 PM

Actually the one I linked too mulches needles too. Funny story Jen about the dying trees. There is absolutely nothing more stunning than a stand of Larch trees clothed in gold. You lucky girl!

Ju the Ford engine was a big and heavy project, lol, perhaps not reliable but you sure are ambitious. I think your a little self deprecating and humble, I'm sure you're a lot more reliable than what you're letting on. One of these days it'll be easier for you to snap a pic. I'm a patient woman.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin , seriously , it is that I am senile , My monotony , concentration ,Fatigues as I do ,
That interferes with my "ability" and to do projects .
Anything that takes more than a few minutes becomes difficult ,

When all is as it is , I have one great trait of awareness

I do not know about being anything other than aware liking to,have a pretty good time or feeling comfortable doing so ,
My condition , causes being patient to give me a headache , that is more ( or as) serious as anything to me,,
Common feelings really , not sensitive , overly or underly ;
Well next time , back to plants , still arranging and cleaning , and moving , and , and , etc ,,
Robin ,, The expense of industrial size grinding Machines , gives the idea of why , I built that thing for a parts yard using their parts for ten percent of their first profitable job , I got 40$ , They saved 12 thousand ,
Like 1970 ? $'s are a consideration sometimes , same now about 30 Thousand ,, way beyond me , lol

This message was edited Nov 8, 2015 8:44 PM

Ju, things may be as they are but I, for one, think the world of you.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Patti that is sweet ,
Next time I have the funds , I am going to try one with Briggs & Stratton gears , Grinder .. lol

Patti how are plants? , Mulching and all takes a while doesn't it ?

Plants are doing well. . Yes, just breaking down the leaves takes a while LOL and then you get to spread them around. The day after I potted up the plants, I decided to move them into the raised bed so they would have a better chance of survival this winter. Many of those leaves will be going to mulch the raised bed. :-)

Ahh Ju, you're a gem!

40 bucks is a long way from 12,000., it's a big spread, you deserved way more of course, I'm sorry they didn't give it to you. My DH gives me many of the intricate jobs because of my patience. I like tinkering, figuring things out and fixing them. I could see how some of those things could drive people crazy though.

Okay, back to plants and propagation, does anybody know what seeds Gypsi would like? I've got lots Gypsi, I always buy enough to share. Anybody else, just let me know.
I have:
Tanacetum parthenium (Feverfew)
St. Johns Wort
Lavatera 'Twins Hot Pink'
Monarda Bergamot (Bee Balm)
Sisyrinchium (Yellow Eyed Grass)
Strawberry Spinach
Berlandiera lyrata (Chocolate Daisy)
Aubrieta
Coreopsis 'Early Sunrise'
Crepis rubra (Pink Dandelion)
Hibiscus cannabinus 'Amethyst'

I have too many to list, just tell me what you want what you really really want LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice seeds Robin , And you are a Delightful People !!! yes you are !!! I have so many now as said , maybe next season I will catch up to my seed gluttony ..lol
Well then That was a bit of wealth. And it was their parts , their wait , and ten years to wait if they had to pay back buying one , their first job paid a little over 400 . that was a good one ,
It was not bad for me as part time , dealing with legal , safety issues they took care of ,
it worked out good for both of us , so big smile
You can tell when I sit and it is cold , I type all the time , lol
I think I remember one made with the small gear , the grinder , me and someone around the threads ,

Patti like us all it is nice when the plants give delight , there is a delightful satisfaction in all gardening .. Best of things as they are .

Patti, if you lose your chi chi no worries, I have about a hundred of them in the basement gardens, I am leaving the ones in ground to see what happens next year, if I get any, it will be from the seeds.. when they get rained on, they explode up to a hundred feet.
Ju, wish I had the motor mind you guys seem to have, I just sell them ( motors Honda to be specific)

got my seed station set up in the back yukkky basement room that no one will go into but me LOL

Ha Debra, I could have sworn you didn't have any seeds left...or plants for that matter. You being so doggone generous and all.

I can't wait to sow some hot pink fuchsia Hibiscus I got from you, cause I can't wait to see those hot pink blooms. I'm so blessed with seeds and plants, I couldn't begin to count how many years of joy they will bring.

There's no better way to cheer up a yucky basement room than setting up a seed station!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra , all Balances , you are seed and plant royalty here ,, !!! lol Nobody , can do seeds and plants like Debra can .
Sounds like an excellent way to go with a yucky basement room ,, been there ,,,

I've been in Debra's basement. Granted, not the yucky room (although I seriously doubt if it's yucky at all) and she hadn't brought in the majority of her plants yet, but her set up is impressive. I even got to meet the turtles. LOL

Thanks for the leaves, Debra and for the directions after I got lost. ROTFL

Yes, we shall knight her Queen D. All in favor, say Aye.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

ROTFL Aye , In Favor !!!

An unknown still growing

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Ju, I wonder if your unknown is Leucanthemum × superbum (Shasta Daisy).

LOL AYE!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin it does look that way in the photo except for the very top leaves The leaves are real heavy almost rubbery , like a cacti of some kind , unusual ,,

Patti, I knew you'd be in. Yay I got two ayes...so far.

Ju, can you grow it indoors for the winter?

This message was edited Nov 9, 2015 1:44 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin I will have to mulch it real good and hope , A lot of could be' s One of the marguerites (close to your suggestion ) Some kind of crocus or Ajuga , Could even be a small leaved Euphorbia .
???

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, I have to agree, Debra is very generous with her seeds. But then every one of you are. JU too. She did send me tons of seeds I haven't had a chance to plant. I could have planted some this year, but didn't have the area where I want them prepared. Between my daughter and Bob, they did get it pretty much done, but it was so late in the summer I didn't want to waste the seeds.

I don't plant like JU does. Seems like he plants seeds year 'round. Isn't that right JU? I just don't have space to do that.

Well, it's getting late and Bob has an appointment in Spokane tomorrow, long trip,so better get to bed. ttyl, jen

good luck on your dr trip with Bob, Jen.
Ju, that looks like a daisy, but it also reminds me of a euphorbia, can't wait to see. Really appreciate the nice words, but hay everyone has a LOT of something in their life, with me it is seeds ( wish it was money) LOL
Patti, Tucker is a doll. He minds you real good. Impressive, he needs to teach the younger version of himself next door some manners.

Robin, I did a germination test on those seeds, they popped open right away. I like seeing seeds sprout. feel motherly in fact when I am "expecting" :P
Cold, no frost, wearing socks to work LOL

Thank you, Debra. He is a good boy.

Ju, you take some great pictures. Thanks for sharing! Love that kitty. Now I want another kitten. I don't think my two would allow it though.

Robin, did you ever hear from gypsi about the seeds she wants?

I will be glad when I've been doing this long enough to identify plants. You guys blow me away.

Fort Worth, TX

I am going to have to re-read the whole thread. Had 4 grandchildren here this weekend, put the computer in a drawer to save it from them.

No electric fence on chickens, predators not that bad of a problem, between feral cats guarding the lot birds (and they do a good job on snakes and rats), and the dogs out back. a rat would go around the electric fence and they are the worst, hawks, i net out.

I have decided to use an empty 55 gallon aquarium which I have a light for in the fish room for garden plants that take a lot of light, maybe tomatoes if I pollinate with a feather. I have the tilapia indoors and the goldfish outdoors in the greenhouse, just in time for temps in the 40's saturday night that would have killed the tilapia.

I have to go see an aquarium and a fountain, hope to catch up later!

Saving jugs for cold seed starting, need to re-read the soil requirements on that . Ya'll have a good day.

Tucker must be a four legged furby. Just a guess, I've seen nothing to confirm this theory. I hope Gypsi is okay and just busy, I haven't heard from her.

Once you grow something, it's easier to identify it Tuckersmom. You will get proficient in no time. No matter how good you get though, there is always someone on here that blows you away.

Even though seeds cost money and one can go out and purchase them, the gift of seeds is monumental, such promise and meaning (with a back story). Likewise, it is just as enjoyable to give the gift as it is to receive it -- it's like spreading the joy. Gardeners are a generous bunch with big hearts, so willing to nurture another's passion just for the asking (again spreading the joy). Jen, of course you're right, you are all so, so generous.

Oops, cross-posted...hi Gypsi...bye Gypsi...lol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.