Plant Propagation ,The Basics Continued Oct -Nov

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cold weather causes a form of ephasia with me (you know , I feel like I just woke up for 24 hrs a day .really windy here like 30 mph wind ,
Got these before downpour started ,
The little white zinnia still blooming ,lol 5
4 is the only hybrid Daylily I got planted before bad weather started , plants are enjoying this .
Some Pansy enjoying the cooler weather

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

It looks like most of your flowers are pansies. But the dark blue ones looked kindof like Sweetpeas to me at first from the foliage; But saw the flower better and see it is a pansy. Guess because I had some Sweetpeas that very color my sister gave me. They were beautiful. I just had that deep blue, white, and a pinkish lavender. But, got about 50 seeds from them if any of you want any I would be willing to share.

Well, I got a call from the Ophthalmologist this morning. He said my MRI didn't show anything really drastic. I have a slowing of the blood flow in my Carotid Artery, which could be from a stroke at some time, but nothing recent. Anyway my regular dr. then called me cause the eye guy had called him also, so we decided between the two of us that he should give me a referral to a Neurologist. If they think I need to treat it at all, it might be with a stronger aspirin or a blood thinner at this time.

JU, I think you should call your dr. office and tell them you want a meeting about yours. Maybe they think they called you. Did he look like he has a bad memory or something? I know all drs do things differently but that's ridiculous.

The Gopers are warming up for their big debate tonight. Big Florida newspaper told Rubio he should pull out. He never votes on anything, said it is a boring job and he hates it. Wants to be President now. LOLMAO.

Fort Worth, TX

I do use some pretty funny insecticides. The bees change everything. I can dust the corners of the chicken coop with sevin dust but I sure had better not be wearing my bee gloves. And I get a lot worse bugs than up north - I don't think fire ants or Raspberry crazy ants have gotten there yet. Boiling water is about all that works on crazy ants, they are immune to most pesticides.

The chickens LOVE grasshoppers, but I lost my rooster when I let them in the front flower garden to get the hoppers, a neighbor's dog got him. So now I hand catch grasshoppers for them. My dahlias were wiped out by them though. That is where experimenting with "hopper guards" like kaopectate comes in. There is a virus you can introduce to kill the grasshoppers but it is related to a honeybee virus so I can't use it.

Have to run, fasting tonight for bloodwork in the morning, and haven't had dinner yet. It is almost done. PBS running in the background, Nature, Nova and now the Brain.
Youtube will have debate tomorrow if I want to watch it.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

edited to delete duplicate post.

Either they drop them, or they post too many.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2015 10:06 PM

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Gypsi, what is the blood work for? What was that last thing about your brain? Or was that something on Nova about the brain. I hope.

You all be pretty careful using the insecticides. We can't afford to lose any bees. Seriously, the plants are really suffering. jen

Fort Worth, TX

my daughter with hypothyroid nagged me all winter so I went for bloodwork in February and I have Hashimotos. Bloodwork every 3 months and Armour thyroid. Since that is my only prescription I consider myself lucky. my blood sugar seems to have returned to its old normal self after 8 months on Armour. Hoping the bloodwork will show that (I am not diabetic but overprescribing doc kept trying to get me to take a sugar reducer)

Fort Worth, TX

Brain is a show on PBS discussing the human brain - science stuff

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Maybe I should watch ? I lost mine some time ago ,. Might show me where to find it , or similar ,,,

Hey , An herb I can grow indoors , feverfew ,
Sad isn't it , lol

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

I dragged one african violet, a small pot of Ice plant with bits of sedum in it, and a few aloe vera through last winter. Put an aquarium light over the bathroom shelf. I bought more lights and am trying to set the fish room up as a plant room but I haven't gotten the lights hung and I sprouted 5 pathetic basil plants that didn't clear an inch, and a rosemary cutting, in there last year. No basements in my part of Texas

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Not always easy is it ? no basement within 50 miles of here without the water running though it

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Gypsi, why do you think it has to be a basement? Your fish room would be perfect. Humidity! Fish water to fertilize them with, Good grief, couldn't be better. You should look at Debra's. Yeah it's a basement, so what, only thing she has that you don't, is Joe to help with the heavy lifting. OH, and agreement now and then. That's nice. Other than that, you have second best. The room, and nobody to argue with about what you want to do.

Also, you must be careful about floor-load. That is my problem. I would love to have an aquarium, a fairly big one, but don't know about the floor taking the weight. The house is very well built, but I know how heavy those buggers are.

Fort Worth, TX

I'm in a pier and beam. My helper and I added cross beams with above ground piers and topped the hardwood with 3/4 inch subflooring back in 2007. It needed it. but uninsulated windows, all the humidity sticks to the window, I think I will have to plastic the one that is still the old aluminum window, maybe inside and out, to get the humidity to stay in the air. Heat is woodstove in the living room. Aquariums have heaters. Grandkids sleep in there when they sleep over so I have to leave room for a twin size with a pull out crib mattress or 2

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sounds nice and cozy. You'll make it work. How cold does it get in the winter there?? Will the aquarium heaters be able to keep it warm? Come to think of it , I wonder what Debra does to keep her koi ponds warm in her basement in the winter in Kansas? Don't know anything about yours and her areas as far as weather goes. jen

Fort Worth, TX

koi don't need to be above freezing by much. I raise broccoli and swiss chard all winter, sometimes spinach, ought to plant some cabbage but I don't have seeds. I raise all of the above outdoors in the garden. Missed daylight to take a photo today but will try tomorrow, outside. I still have sweet potatoes, tomatoes, chard, tomatillos, a couple of small winter squash plants, chinese noodle beans, and maybe something I forgot in the ground in the garden. First frost average date is near thanksgiving. The fish do fine in the fish room, humidity is the issue. I could make an evaporation tray. And I did change the big windows in there to double paned, which really helped last year

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, where are you? Come on, help us here, jen,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen I am not doing much , read across anuraphyllic society (frog lovers) lol
doing seeds , doing wash , goop like that , colder than it is use to stuff also
Got to get a small entire bag of Hybrid daylily seeds ready to plant before long , as warm as it is even as cold , I will have to wait to winter sow
Hoping for next year , on and on ,

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I have these racks that hang on a wall, and some shelves over the bedroom window, that gives me upstairs growing room. The fish and turtles and plants are all fine all winter, since I have controlled heat in the basement. It used to be finished, we had to unfinish it with the first wall repair, that was 30 years ago.. no one uses the basement now except me to garden and Joe to iron and listen to music. all the other side rooms down there are storage.no big daylight windows, so that is why I put up t5 lights.
Blooming now down there..Joe on the roof again..

This message was edited Oct 30, 2015 12:24 AM

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hmm, Joe sweeps the roof, he irons. Does he have a brother ;-)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Gosh Pistil sorry you saw/thought of it first. He just might. Maybe she could auction him off. Not Joe the brother. Chances are better for the brother than Joe. She isn't going to let go of Joe. Not a lot of guys would put up with her chopping holes in the floor and lugging hundred pound plants in and out to plant in them.

Debra, are those hibiscus blooming now? In the basement? She convinces the plants it is a different season.

LOL you guys.. I do admit I am a very Blessed woman to have caught this guy, it took me three years to convince him to marry me, tho, and he is my third husband, I am his first wife...35 years now and he does have three younger brothers, all with wives and they are just as nice as he is. That hibiscus was a little four inch cutting four years ago. I am proud I kept it going. bought that cutting from a lady here when DG had a selling forum, for 3.00... It always blooms all winter, and I keep trimming and making cuttings as I trim it, then I give them away when they are bigger than 4 inches.:P
the other one is a kings mantle, a gift from a DG'r here, it is huge now. Tropicals are worth lugging in and out if they bloom all winter, that is for sure. Joe is always calling me at work to tell me if something new has bloomed. He takes pictures of them and then sometimes, he gets them printed. Happy Houttunia Halloween, ya 'all, I have a very early Honda Owners Workshop Breakfast to host this morning, Joe asked me if I was ready to go to bed, and I told him not yet. I am all hyped up worrying whether everyone will show up or not. In June I had 79 folks out of the 768 I invited..our capacity is 150. We are starting off with ChrisCakes Pancakes.

Thumbnail by joeswife
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Great job on the Tropicals and on landing Joe Debra, I'm also going to have to give ya an 'atta girl'.

I hope your Workshop Breakfast goes great and you have to kick yourself for worrying about it all later. Good luck!

Fort Worth, TX

Joe sounds like a winner. So does your garden, lol!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Let us know how your breakfast went. I am assuming you are done with it and probably pooped. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Haven;t had a lot to say here myself lately , enjoying the follow along reading ,
This nice ,super nice gal sent me a Bee Balm I planted today , When it came later in the afternoon I had a place to plant it ,Sent a super pound of seeds too , I can winter sow for the remainder of my days , at least a few of the plants I will be playing with probably for that time ,
There is an 8 ounce bag of daylily seeds I will plant in November , here and there I will plant them among the flower beds , I am having better luck just plain old planting them in the ground instead of containers Tomorrow I will try a few photo along with a warmer day if I get a chance to move the Hybrid daylily that should bloom next season , Several have been taking three seasons to get blooms , so I am not doing as well as I might with them ,
I will try some blue aster seedlings with them
My planter box is already in trouble from the lower board I did add ,I knew I should of added that , A cement pot full of BES is holding it in place until I return to correcting , Lots of flowers forth coming

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wasn;t that nice of her JU. What a sweet "pick-me-up". Gosh, you can work on those all winter. Do you mean you plant day lily seeds in the ground this time of year? Wow, how come they don't rot?

The weatherman says it is in the 60s for highs here, but looking out the window I sure don't believe it. Right now, the fog is moving in. Been raining all day. Every once in a while Bob will go down and start a fire in the furnace. wood. The wood is so nice. Other than the smoke when he first starts it, it is so nice and warm. Sure hope he has enough wood 'cause seems like I am going to want to have a lot of wood burning this winter.

The plumber didn't show up today like he said he would. He was missing a part for the disposal, and I have two faucets to replace. 20 years seems to be about it for faucets. The kitchen was a Moen. Those have a lifetime warranty and that means as long as the original owner has the house. Well, they keep a record of what I have done to that faucet and she can tell me every part we have replaced and when we replaced it. I finally bought a new one but they are all so far out now that they have the faucet handles attached to the tall faucet if you can imagine that. Guess some of you probably have them. How do you like them?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The ground starts to freeze enough in November here , Rot does usually does not live on these types of things (seeds) above 28 degrees or so ,,
Then the seeds hard dormant until ready to grow ,
However in extremes , dry rot , from being frozen too long can also happen , not likely currently , I found the white Hibiscus seeds I misplaced also , Might try a few nearer spring ,

I found I was terrible at selling years ago , but growing a few to give back to anyone and everyone , I will have more for in a while , Most of my favorite plants are a lot more like what most would consider undesirable weed type plants ,
It is delightful to watch the bees playing their work chores on un-sprayed chicory and asters ,And as a few times before , it keeps them away from the front porch .

Well, it's great having a super nice gal in our midst. I hope your Bee Balm grows beautifully...I sure do love their scent.

I can't give an opinion regarding your new faucet Jen, I haven't installed one of those yet. I'm pretty sure most of the major manufacturers give free parts for the life of the faucet though. That is a great selling feature, one that I also take advantage of.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen like this , or other ? This a couple years old , been repaired already , pipe trouble here ,

Robin , the backyard smelled like Grape juice a few days ago , still I can't figure that , Offset planted the Bee Balm in front , in front of the Guara , Hoping it does okay ,

Thumbnail by juhur7

Perhaps neighbors were stomping grapes to make wine? Maybe the birds were making wine...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah perhaps Robin , cold weather Boos , or Booze perhaps? Maybe I should of said ,the grape juice that keeps you warm from getting you pickled?

I still have the other half of the Iris to separate , a dozen little Hemerocallis to move , No way to make that happen , and besides from the wee morning hours , it is raining again ,
I wish I seven and still enjoyed playing in the cold mud , Now all I wit is my fingers are cold and I am getting pointers(cramps or nerve pings )
Butt my feet still feel good , lol

This message was edited Nov 1, 2015 1:33 AM

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Nope, sorry JU, don't know how long you have had that one in, but not even close. When you have a minute, go into Amazon under kitchen faucets. and you will be shocked as I was. I do like the high goose neck faucets to fill pots, buckets etc. and the handles for hot and cold were all over those high goose necks. Amazing. I just could not put one of those in my kitchen. Oh well.

You guys totally lost me on the other thread. Kitt and JU. Have no idea what the hell you were talking about. Oh well, I am showing my age now. Will catch up eventually. love you.

Going to read a bit and go to bed. ttyl, jen

Ha Ju, you need some Wine to get you pickled. You won't mind playing in the cold mud then...

just guessing.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen I know what a gooseneck faucet is , just wanted to be sure you were talking about other .

Robin , plants would not be happy though , I might walk on them or ? the Drunken Planter ,,lol
Warming up here today , might get a chance in a few hours to do a few plants and such ,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hey!! The sun came out for a few seconds. We have some small clouds moving around out there dodging the sun. So, maybe there is a chance we might see it a bit today. Sure would be nice.

I am sure you know what a goose neck faucet is JU. But can you imagine the handles being all over it? I mean in strange places. jen I know, hard to explain. You would have to see them.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

What it looks like here
Daylily seedlings , the bee balm stems ,asters . Gaura , iris ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Very nice Ju, did you grow those Daylily seedlings?

Here's what's blooming in my yard...
Allysum
Chocolate Flower
Yarrow
Feverfew

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Pretty Robin ,, all the flowers ,

Mine are all done as played with , Have those here except the Chocolate Flower , Nice flowers with delightful Foliage ,

Sure I grew the Daylily seedlings .

The ones I moved a few weeks ago , Some have stringy leaves , others fewer leaves with heavy , wide , leaves

I have the Sunday sleepy's , About night time I am going to try to snooze

morning, good afternoon, yes the Honda Owner Workshop Breakfast was a hit, not too many and not too few.. Boss was happy with me.
I worked until 4 and then came home, puttered around with the basement garden and then we passed out candy and then we turned off the lights and went to our Saturday Night Movie we saw Ant Man and was pleasantly surprised at how entertained we were.

I slept late today, been chopping down stuff ( dead sunflowers, morning glory vines) AND cleaning stuff.
I am pooped. Jenn, The new faucet thing happened to me three years ago with both the Kitchen and the Bath, I go the high gooseneck spigots, but the handles are turnstiles.
Robin , got your stuff out and in and will be packing your box up tonight, It is going to be great sending weather.
Jen, do you want some Monarda? I still have three clumps for giving.

I'm so glad the Boss is happy with you, that means you got some praise for your hard work. My DH and I are seriously thinking Honda for our next purchase, I hope they're offering 0% financing either now or real soon. They're a good purchase and haven't taken bail-out money. We've been buying Jeep, we're on our third one (#2 got stolen in North Carolina, which was the best one). Jeep #3 seems like it's closely related to the citrus family.

We should be getting some warmer temps to putter in the garden with, I can't wait for spring!

Oh Debra, you can bet I'll be looking forward to your package...good temps to be planting in too!

I grew the Berlandiera lyrata from seed and don't yet know if it'll survive my winter but I have saved some seed and am ALWAYS willing to share. It does smell like chocolate in the morning.

Jen, don't make the mistake that I did. I installed a deeper sink and a gooseneck faucet. Since the water travels much farther, the resulting velocity produces a splash back at me effect. I'm reminded a few times a day of the mistake but refuse to rectify it until one or the other needs replaced.

Honda has moved their power train warranty to LIFETIME .. we are running 0% now, and I can't wait to see the new 16 civic. I think there are a few things I grow that smell like Pnut butter. LOL
I have chocolate mint. Save me some seeds of that chocolate flower. don't send now. LOL

I still have monardas to thin. I didn't send you any, Robin. Do you and Jen want some? Time to plant is now. :D

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.