Plant Propagation ,The Basics Continued Oct -Nov

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well a new thread at request , here we go , anything and everything
Gaura 1 and 2
3 woodsy fall
4 and 5 season past memories
5 a penstemon , native beardstongue , can't find it now

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1407133/

Some seasonal memories

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Very nice pictures JU. You have a good eye for a picture. jen

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Is picture #2 the same as you have in your avatar? I sure like your frog, it looks like its down to some mean sunning business, lol.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Me too Robin. Ju's frog and Debra's turtle Gemel are pretty cool. And then there are JU's kitties. He swears they are Granny's but we all know better don't we. >smile

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin Same Syrica ,
Jen Lol , their still granny's
Here are clematis awaiting a tree

After looking for an hour and a half , I found the photo's in a sub file , inside of a sub file , in the background files ,, the after moving these my page crashed .
The sound curly used to make on the Three Stooges , or perhaps this third pic with the oh GADS , oh ,no , describes it ,,lol??? yeah a reaction ,, lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well at least the trees are still trying to make with the pretty comfy's

Very nice Clematis...lol, waiting for a tree.

Fort Worth, TX

I don't know why my clematis are scrawny, but I suspect lack of water is part of it. and I flood the bed they are in. I put them in 1 gallon pots and buried the pots so they wouldn't disappear like the last ones.

on wisteria, I had bought a 10 gallon one, quite pricey but it was just before a freeze was due so half price, and I planted it and babied it and for 5 years nothing. Then we had a dry spring, and it finally had 2 or 3 clumps of blooms, and I took a picture, then it started to look yellow so I soaked the lot (translation take the hose to the top of the hill on the lot, lay it down, turn on low and leave it 24 hours, just saturates the ground like a good rain but chlorinated water) and the tree was yellowish again in a couple of week so I soaked it again and a week later it went all yellow dropped all its leaves and died. A big wind picked it up (it was about 20 ft wide at the top and about 10 feet tall on a pergola) in February, pergola and all.

I think the dry spring abused it and made it bloom but I am not sure, only that I got very little watering done that spring and a lot of stuff didn't do well with that.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, your clematis look so healthy. And the last one in the first row look like Foxglove. Sorry, I don't know what Penstemon are supposed to look like. And the last one on that row look like an awful lot of zinnias. Very pretty.

Anyway, all the pictures look so pretty. Don't you hate to see winter coming on? But, next year is another year. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, your clematis look so healthy. And the last one in the first row look like Foxglove. Sorry, I don't know what Penstemon are supposed to look like. And the last one on that row look like an awful lot of zinnias. Very pretty.

Anyway, all the pictures look so pretty. Don't you hate to see winter coming on? But, next year is another year. jen

Fort Worth, TX

Do you feed your clematis anything? I get one bloom now and then, nothing like those photos, and scrawny leaf growth too

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi I get leggy stems ,I don't feed them , some seasons , I have been known to spray a little something . but just covering a top dressing of tree or shrub top soil seems best after the plant is established ,

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Gypsi-
I don't want to try much to help with your Clematis-They do so well here in our cool and rainy climate, and I don't recall seeing them when I lived in Texas-it could be heat, alkaline soil, lack of fertilizer or anything. I think the Texas gardening forum is pretty active, I bet they might help with this issue, and have more useful advice about Clematis for Texas.
BTW, did you know there is a species Clematis texensis, there are several lovely cultivars, I have 'Princess Diana'. With a name like that, it seems likely do do better there!

Fort Worth, TX

I have seen a purple one live for 15 years but never thrive like the pictures posted up-thread. I put in 3 from burgess on the north side of my house and they have lived, but again, nothing like up thread. I didn't know they liked it cool, just "feet in the shade, head in the sun" as I was taught. Texas forum is VERY quiet just now. I will ask there later. Thank you

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

hey all , The Clematis they like their roots cover moisturized from other plants , a little compost and maybe some super grow or microorganism activator ,
That is how mine were treated
After that mulch over a couple of boards is how my blue one was done , nothing else for a few years ,
Older Clematis take about anything here , drought , drowning , so forth , although the ones here handle drought better than flood , rot and all, you know ,,
In the South or super reduced rooting area , etc rock ground , Clay as hard as rock , I would drill down into the earth a few feet to give the roots a chance , The reason for the board around mine , the root run shallow here ,

Fort Worth, TX

aaahhhh, very good info. I can loosen the area under mine from the side when I lift some of the heartleaf scullcap and strawberries back from them. And do a thicker mulch over top. roots do need to deepen. It sounds like I do have them in the right bed though. To moisten my foundation I throw a hose in it weekly to daily depending on weather, temp and moisture, and soak the daylights out of it

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi Only thing I see ,that can offer any advice about there (and it is probably different as to critter problems that might ) is the clematis does not like the water as much as constant moisture .
The constant PH of not being watered constantly has something to do with that ,
The idea of the Board , tile , or maybe rocks ,is all I could think of ,They root strongly into an area that is mediocre of water table or retention , Such as the wet ground under rocks that does not particularly dry out ,except during droughts
Of course , critters where you are ,enjoy the same .
Also , this has mostly to do with vines under a few old , as said older stronger plants endure a great many conditions and the care has to be determined by the gardener , That is probably why their popular for those who can grow them , ? That and some of the Hybrids are indeed impressive .
Try something other than tap , production water , that is , unless your hose is connected to a well .
Vines like filtered or Rain water . production tap water is part of the yellowing from the salinity ) (of course after bloom , most vines tend to yellow anyway )

This message was edited Oct 26, 2015 7:14 PM

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, you are starting to sound like a regular Master Gardner. Trying to teach us all. Hey you guys, I will sell you well water by the bottle. LOLOL Knew there might be a way to pay for disinfecting that well. Your vines would love my water. Isn't that right JU? What you said. Sorry troops, JU is backing out on what he said. LOL. Guess I should just give it to you. Then he might answer me. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

What I have a 2025 water filter , meaning it is functional until that year ,
What , Jen ; Backing out on what ?,, I offered Gypsi the Experience I had growing mine ,and what I had done , that ain;t anything other than experience and that does not always make for mastery
I was planting and cleaning again this evening for a little while ,

Fort Worth, TX

I need to set up some more rain barrels. I have a couple out back, could stand to do gutters and have a couple out front. But I also know how to age and soften water the easy way, (not in the hose) but in a barrel toss a couple of peat pots in that tap water and watch its ph drop and the color turn to tea. I need to do a better watering system next year I know.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

wow, what a nice group of fall colors, Ju. Love your frog, I have never seen one like that here. Ours are either point head water frogs, bullfrogs or toads. LOL
Joe got the banana in, we left the baby out for experiment number 2. This will be the last year he brings momma in, she weighs over a hundred pounds..
first pic, momma in sump pump well, baby in triangle, and last years experiment ( the baby lived thru a kansas winter)
silly lions tail is JUST now blooming. Geesh! Garage is full of things to de-bug.. Basement Garden is shaping up..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, backing out of what you said here. I might have been able to sell some of these folks some well water. LOL.

Try something other than tap , production water , that is , unless your hose is connected to a well

Can't see the frog Debra that you said JU had.

Gypsi, I have a couple of good rain barrels that worked real good but Bob is using them for something else 'cause he doesn't want to bother with the gutters.

Debra, those bananas are great. Bet ya that next year Joe figures a way to get mama in the basement.

Debra, what do you use to debug your plants? I have only used Neem oil. Seems to work good so far. Let me know. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra I had a Banana live for three seasons outside here , it drowned the fourth spring in a flood , rotted ,
Tons of tree toads and frogs here .
colder weather is coming fast now ,

Jen it is that striped frog or toad on the white cup I show from time to time , happy photo , several around here

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Thats right JU, I found it. Wish we had some around here. I haven't had a pond out on the deck for two years now so haven't had any of them around. Love to hear them croaking at night especially. They are so cool. I would put a toad house out there for them and moss in the floor of it. They really liked it. Would swim in the pond. Well, maybe next year.

Time to go to bed, ttyl, jen

Fort Worth, TX

Pretty frog Ju. I have leopard frogs, brought one home and I think he found a mate, great photos found in Dave's Garden Texas thread "my pest control crew" but I can't find them on my hard drive at the moment. In the meantime, enjoy Jabba The Hut. He hung out for a couple of years before he took off (probably a fatal decision out here) He appears NOT to be a native frog, found him in a pond near Granbury's branch of a river, and I suspect he was someone's imported pet that got released.

Thumbnail by Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

Leopard frogs? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=10148712

A 100 lb Banana tree...holy smokes, that's one heavy plant to bring in and out Debra!

Lol Jen, " Bet ya that next year Joe figures a way to get mama in the basement." How much is shipping on your well water?

Gypsi, that's a good name for an ugly frog...a huge ugly frog.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That is possibly a dry land desert toad ? They only appear in wet weather ,The coloration looks native ,
True frogs are getting rare here I have not seen a giant leopard frog or a Giant Bullfrog since I was teen

Yes 100 pounds of plants and tubs is way over my lift limit these days , Oh dolly cart !!!

rain day here

Fort Worth, TX

that huge ugly frog was pure frog, not a toad. I suspect an african species The net he is in is 12 inches in diameter He hid under the water in a pond and came out rarely, so not a desert toad. I discovered he was still there when I had to change the liner in my pond, moved him to a different pond, but when I cleaned the different pond he had gone away. As dry as my area is, unless he moved back into another of my ponds he died after he took off.

The Leopard frogs I had to look up to ID, had 10 of them in flower pots when I took the photo I can't find.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Leopard frogs get large after decades also, I had heard where bullfrogs had been being imported ,
I would have a toad zoo for the heck of it , if I could keep them ,Toads that are 20 -25 years old are fun to see , (very rare now )

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I would if I had the energy and the area to have such things. Would be neat. I would have toad houses for all of them. Oh well, maybe in my second life. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

There is a gal around these threads I want to send these to , but I am having trouble getting busy people to reply , I do that because , because of lost out dated address , or things that get sent back , as undelivered with address requested ,
I am sure this individual will respond , after a while

Iris waiting for a new home ,
Raining here still since yesterday afternoon and it is cold to me ,

Thumbnail by juhur7

I am just happy to see our toads and garter snakes when I see them. I miss the lizards , mud doggies, horned toads and bullfrogs I grew up with.

Jen, I use a combo spray of tea tree, windex, dish soap and flea dip for dogs, ( 99.9 percent pyrethins) I do have a really strong miticide I use when needed, but I haven't had problems with spidermites since I started using that stuff in Spring. I also use yellow sticky traps and fly tapes hidden here and there. we spray all things with raid home and Garden in the garage before they come in. My mom in law up in Buffalo taught me to spray bottom sides and soil and plants with that .. her stuff goes up 15 steps to the bedrooms she doesn't use, she uses the same plastic to cove the floors and beds and furniture with, has her sons drag out the old brass plant poles, and has dishes and pie tins sitting under everything. When I am up there in September, she has me cut everything back, and she throws the cuttings away, but this year, I sent the cuttings to myself from there, since she is 86, I wanted pieces of her plant collection that some things are over 60 years old. The arrived fine, I had them in peat and a tad of water, and made a "bubble of plastic bag. boxed them up to send. Anyway, by the time I undid that bag, everything was rooted LOL She even saves her great big flowering tuber begonias in their baskets, and just leaves them dry over winter inside.Every year, she THROWS away, the fuchias, and impatians. Me, I'd save them too, since they would be the same as her Begonias.

her flowers she saves: ( not the inpatians) she has a HUGE tree ( grapefruit) her late husband grew from a grapefruit seed. and her tropicals are monsters. last two pics are what I would have saved for her, had I been there last week..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra ,that is amazing !!! Some of the bloom colors look to be rare .

I would definitely save these geraniums she had too..but they also got tossed, while blooming!
I collected seeds from her wild flowers that I threw out and about Last year..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra Number 4 looks like a yellow Milkweed , that is or has been a rare plant 1 and 2 with those frost or ice tipped blooms are Wonderful ,
I love them even more to see blooms as that during the time I have none here . !
A wonderful photo share !!! Debra

Fort Worth, TX

I have a bottle of orange oil, I use it on the chicken perches if I think they have mites (I don't think they have ever actually had a mite)

I have a bottle of doggie kaopectate,actually a gallon jug, gonna try that for grasshoppers next year.

I put down beneficial nematodes in the spring, they take care of most of the fire ants and crazy ants, worst pests I have, as well as white grubs. They do not harm the earthworms or anything else actually.

I occasionally use BT Azawai on my honeycombs to kill whatever wax moth gets brave enough to try to eat them. It doesn't harm the bees'

I am treating mites on the bees with oxalic acid fumes this year, first time. Usually I just dust them with powdered sugar.

My leopard frogs are almost all babies, the adult I brought here was about double their size. I THINK they are hibernating in my greenhouse. I have greywater run in there with dish soap, (not dawn, it is just for bathing dogs or cats) it kind of worries me that I found 3 leopard frogs in the mud under a pot last weekend. I can open the valve to the septic tank when I wash dishes, I think I am going to.

Dogs get Bravecto, so no fleas really getting in the house to bother the cats. When you raise honey bees and the dogs jump in the fish ponds you do not use many pesticides. the frogs and dragonflies are my chief bug killers. I do have some pretty neat lizards but have never seen a horned frog here, or one in DFW since the fire ants came in the 80's

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, Debra, Ju is right. They are beautiful. Hope they all last over the winter for you. Most of them should. I used to have a lot of trouble holding the fuchsias over the winter. The cuttings will make much nicer plants than if you had tried to hold over a mother plant. Also, the red and white fuchsia looks like it is Swingtime, and the purple and red looks like Darkeyes. I used to grow a lot of fuchsias in Seattle. The weather over there was perfect for them. I tried to grow them here after we moved but it is just to dry here. No humidity here. Also, the begonias are beautiful. Let me know how they do, taking cuttings. Never tried that before. Always had tubers.
Gosh all the different insecticides you all use on your bugs is amazing. I would think the chickens would have gotten the grasshoppers Gypsi. I used to laugh at them when my sister had chix and they would go after them. Chix are funny animals.

Well, time to hit the sack. ttyl tomorrow. jen

It's cold here for me too JU, I hope you find the Iris receiver before the ground freezes for the winter. Thanks all for insect control information, it's very much appreciated...thanks for asking Jen.

My cats do like a grasshopper meal now and then. I'm trying to teach them about the beneficial insects (good luck to me). They also bring frogs home, I haven't seen them eat one of those, I'm not sure why not.

Beautiful pictures Debra, they were a delight to look at.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.