CLOSED: Fall Chat 2015

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Congratulations to the Royals.

Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

lol...you are right Cville. It is going to be a stepping stone for the Kansas City Chiefs for a friend who is a crazy crazy fan. So since you aren't from this area it must look like I want it...lol. I have never done a mosaic so if you have any tips or tricks please share!! I am torn between putting the mosaic pieces on sticky clear shelf liner then pouring the concrete on top, or pouring the concrete and trying to poke all the pieces in, or pouring the concrete then wetting it later and using sanded grout and put the pieces in grout. I worry about the freeze thaw issue we have here in MO with sanded grout. If I just put the pieces in the cement that I can get it all done while the cement is wet. Putting the pieces on sticky clear shelf paper and then pouring on top of it sounds like the safest if nothing moves, maybe?

I want it to resemble something like this when I am done..

Thumbnail by happgarden

Don't put paper behind it. It will pop off. I usually use a good silicone glue after the concrete dry, the grout.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Really cool, Joyce. gee, I wish I had the ambition you have .. I'd love to try to make one of those stones. Glad you had a great time with the kids and the dog, sounds like you had a blast.

Go Chiefs! LOL

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

So are you going to try to make one, Debra? I'm sure you can do it.

Three Papileo Butterfly Amaryllis bulbs arrived in the mail yesterday and are tucked away in my fridge until I can get them potted. I've wanted some for a long time. :) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64221/

Last night was the Country Music Awards. The duet with Justin Timberlake (a Tennessee native) and Chris Stapleton (Album of the year, Male Vocalist of the Year) was outstanding.
https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/news/justin-timberlake-goes-country-brings-060200391.html?ref=gs

Ya'll have a lovely November day.

Those are beautiful amaryllis plants!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Linda. I'm excited to finally get them.

omg LK I LOVE those blocks, I want to see pics when everything is done. How exciting. Is everyones design different, and colors or?

Cville excited to see what the bulbs look like and how they work.

LK you got me thinking so I got to searching on this project and found this website,
http://blog.mosaicartsupply.com/improvised-double-reverse-mosaic-method-using-contact-paper-and-clear-packing-tape/

I am putting the glass tiles on contact paper first then using clear tape like packing tape I will cover them when they are done and pull them off the contact paper. I will already have my concrete form poured and dried, then I will put a coat of thinset on the concrete and lay my pattern down on top of my dry concrete stone. Let the thinset dry and then grout and seal. Easy right? LOL

Check out some of these mosiacs these folks have done....wowzer.

I put my first layer of black glass on the paper last night. Going to cut the red glass today and lay it tonight.

Debra you can borrow my mold when I am done I doubt I ever use it again.

Thumbnail by happgarden

That is a nice idea. Never thought of doing it that way.

There was 9 of us that signed up for the swap. Everyone chose their own colors.
You can check out all the blocks here. You may have to go back a few threads to see them all.
I chose blue background with white snowflakes for mine.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1407519/

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

LK I love the snowflake blocks! And Carole can't wait to see the Amaryllis in bloom. I love mine. I have the red and the Striped ( it is still a baby and hasn't bloomed yet....maybe this year.) Happ looks like you have been BUSY! I have been busy trying to get the all the .perennials in the ground. I have discovered that I may need an "intervention" lol. I didn't realize I had so many plants! Also trying to squeeze all the Tropicals and tender stuff into the greenhouse. (Not going to happen) So this weekend I will rearrange my basement in hopes of fitting the rest in there. Whatever is left will have to go to the curb, I guess. I have some HUGE Dracaena Plants/trees, two are over 6 ft tall. I may have to get rid of those. :(

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Me too, Annette. I've had several different Amaryllis (red, orange, white, striped) over the years. I like them all but have wanted this particular one for awhile. Now I've got to find suitable containers for the bulbs. I cleaned out my carport area earlier this year and got rid of stacks of old pots. It's like me to get rid of something just before I need it. :( I'll probably get a red or a striped Amaryllis as well. Walmart always has them for the holidays.

Wish I was closer. I'd take those Dracaenas off your hands.

Oh I spent last evening going thru the quilt block swap...omg how beautiful. I am going to keep watching I love seeing what is going to happen with them.

I LOVE that snowman block you displayed above. That is so cool.

Well since I am zone 5 almost everything plant wise is crammed here and there, BUT perennials I have alot to either get buried in the ground in the pots to overwinter or get planted. The big problem with planting now is the heaving of the ground during the freeze and thaw.

Do u all have that problem in zone 6 and higher?

Can't wait to see your amaryllis. Thru the years mine have had babies and have given alot away. This fall I stuck several in the same pots. I might have an awful riot of color.

Well we have been to the vet 6 times in 3 days. Last night was the first night I got any sleep, DH slept on a pile in the floor with the dog. So much for arthritis in the tail. He has a swollen prostate that cut off the flow of urine. ER vet was SOOO wrong. We took him to second vet the day after ER because we noticed he wasn't urinating. They immediately knew what was wrong but sent us to the city vet...now you know you are in trouble when a vet's car is a new Porsche....so Porsche vet ran test ruled out some bad stuff, he then decided to put a catheter in and said to get him neutered asap which hopefully would reduce the swelling in a week or so. Next day up to be neutered. That afternoon after bringing him home noticed the cath wasn't working so back to the vet who put it back in. Next day the dog and DH went to the city and the cath got pulled out again...geehz...poor dog. So back to the vet. Goal today is NOT to see a vet. This morning DH removed the bag only and took Slick for a walk. Great news is the dog urinated with the cath still in so I am guessing that is a good thing. Short basset big collar doesn't work so well.

My DG nieces, Sam the big black lab, and some of their stones they madee.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

Goodness, sounds like you are making payments for a new porche. I hope your dog gets better soon.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I know how that goes. Over the years we've had enough vet bills to buy a Porsche, I think. Seems like it anyway. Bless his heart, I hope your dog is okay now, Joyce.

They did a good job on their stones. Very creative. :)

We had a heck of a storm last night. Thunder work me up at 1:30 a.m. Lots of wind ... leaves everywhere this morning.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Poor Slick! Sure hope he get well soon. I know how it is when the "kids" are sick. Last year our Great Pyrenees/Lab had to have a ruptured tendon repaired in his knee. The vet said keep him still,don't let him run or jump...REALLY?? how do you keep a 160 lb dog down? Hog tie him? Dogs do have a mind of their own, but we all managed to survive it. He is able to run again and gets up and down much easier, so it was worth it ( but expensive)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I haven't had a problem with ground heaving in my zone.

Slick is doing well actually for all he has been thru. DH unhooked him long enough for him to go for a walk. He loves walking in the fields. He is eating and drinking and taking is pills, that is as long as he has deli roast beef..

Linda Kay are the blocks quilted or applicade or all of the above?

Going down to 32 tonight.

Blocks and both. Some appliqued, some are pieced.

that is a lot of detail, LK. A lot!! wish I had the patience to work on projects like that. :)

Applique is easy to do, just takes time to sew around the pieces.

I love the blocks. What a fun way to have a quilt to remember good friends with.

We made it one day not going to the vet but at 7:30 this am we were back. The dog stepped on the cord. Back to the vet, only good part Vet Porsche must of felt sorry for us because he did not charge us... Now they suggested we put him in a kennel. A kennel for 2 weeks really! Think that would be tough for him with this hugh collar on, sides he needs to be able to wiggle and I don't know how we could still keep him from stepping on the cord....ughhh. Everytiime we here him wiggle at night we jump out of bed... need sleep...lol oh well. whine whine..lol

DH took him to the vet and stayed home with him while I went out and played with friends... ;) I was hoping to find things for the swap, but nothing.

Hopefully you are sleeping now, Joyce, and soon this will be all over and you will be happy to have your baby normal . :D

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Good old Slick.

Think my fav material is that blue you choose. So wintery and pretty.

Oh I had a good night sleep! DH and dog slept on the floor in the living room. I slept so hard, never woke up once! DH slept on a foam twin mattress and this morning Slick has his nose, nose to nose with DH..too funny. They are something else. Gotta love them. I am staying quiet in the bedroom so they can sleep as long as possible.

We have several craft shows coming up hope to find lots of things for the 2 swaps I am in along with a few presents. Altho I am making alot this year. Linda Kay feel free to adopt me...lol I love homemade stuff my baby sister and her husband have just started making me things. One was a wind chime it is huge and beautiful, a welcome sign, and suppose to be a plant stand made out of a chest drawer but I love it so much I can't put it outside and have it in the garden room with my glass grinder sitting in it. . I think she finds the idea and them some how gets him to do it, if I were waiting on DH .... well several Christmas would be over and I would still be waiting...lol

Susie are you getting snow? I heard snow is heading east from Colorado. Gonna miss us thank goodness...lol As of yesterday we still had dead ole brown leaves on the trees. We didn't have any color this year.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

ANYONE WATCH THE BAMA GAME LAST NITE? WE SPANKED THEM GOOD.

No didn't watch, but congratulations! And so sorry to who lost...lol since we are a national on DG I don't want to offend someone on the otherside...rofl.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

evening all NO S!!! Here yet Just very heavy frost in the mornings .

rofl....

hello.. no snow, no frost, still have things blooming, and I am pooped.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

No snow here either and probably not until after the first of the year. No hard frost either.

Sounds like you got a lot done, Debra. I've been doing a little yard cleanup after removal of the wheelchair ramp, pruning back the azaleas and cleaning the fence line.

How is Slick, happ?

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Love the bulbs Cville, they look nice and healthy. Sounds like you are still enjoying warm temps. We aren't horrible but most days so windy on the hill it is too cold to do much outside. I know those ramps have to be at a very low incline my nephew had one. So removal probably made alot of yard work.

Well....it was a short long night. DH decided to sleep on the couch instead of the floor with the dog. Sometime around 2am the dog can't find DH and decided to come busting into the bedroom towing his cath bag behind him. DH didn't hear the dog stirring around. Slick Gets the bag or cord actually entangled on a plant stand and yanks the cath out. So back to the Porsche vet. DH is taking Slick out to see if hopefully he can pee on his own yet. So for all the progress night before last, all lost last night. I have a nice long boring tax class today, oh holey moley...lol Need caffeine!!

So Linda Kay before I dig a hole to deep to get out of (I am not very tall)...lol Is the butterfly quilt swap open to anyone and if so how exactly does it work? Sounds beautiful and when I did my one and only quilt I did love to applique.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

NO SNOW, NO FROST HERE, JUST RAIN

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh happ, I think he's a 2 Porsche doctor now. I would do the same thing. I'm a sucker for my furbabies. Whatever they need, they get.

back to work, eh? Joyce, you are getting a head start.
Is Slick doing okay? I got to meet Patti's baby, Tucker, and boy is he ever a sweetie.
Carole, are you going to plant those bulbs? I can't wait to see your azaleas this spring.
Hi Kathy it is good to see you!

Anyone can join the quilt block swap. If it is like the others, we pick our colors, and everyone makes a butterfly block.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Just wanted to let everybody know that I may not be on for a few days. My Mom passed away last night around 8:30 and we are waiting to see what my youngest brother has planned. He is her POA so will make all the arrangements his self. Can't believe that she is gone. Dad took it well, at least while we were all there. Prayers would be very greatly appreciated.

Kathy

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Sending condolences, Kathy. I'll be praying.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

so sorry kathy

Praying for you and yours Kathy. ((((hugs Kat))))

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.