CLOSED: Fall Chat 2015

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

So sorry to hear that Kathy, sending our condolences, and lots of prayers.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

So sorry Kathy, I have been having computer issues and haven't been on here much since this happened.I just found out about your Mom. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I was needing a desert recipe for our Christmas party, I know it is early but we don't meet in December and I remembered this forum.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1382064/
There are some great recipes on it....and brought back memories...lol just a year old and how quickly I can forget. I am making chicken and noodles for our pot luck and needed some kind of desert.

Hope everyone is safe and warm. it is rainy but in the 50's we needed the rain desperately.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's raining here too - a dreary day. At least there is no snow or ice. Hate ice!!

Yum, Joyce, chicken and noodles. Some good recipes over there. There are also some in this year's contest: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1404835/

I finally got a new dishwasher installed yesterday. Frustrating not to have a place to stash dirty dishes. :) They delivered the new TV a few days ago. The old one was probably 15 years old, an old tube model.

There are still a few blooms on the Knock Out roses but that's about it for anything blooming around here. I got the Papilio Amaryllis planted last week.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Oh my those amaryllis are going to be beautiful coming out of that pot!

Funny my knock out roses are still blooming also, I have one daisy and some peturnias that I guess came up from seed in an old pot blooming. This weather is not normal for us at all....but loving it. Need more rain here thos.

Oh you are going to love the new tv this winter. Great time to get one when you can snuggle up in a blanket and watch. LOL on the dish washer, we didn't put one in I don't mind doing dishes and I do them in the laundry room where there is a big sink and no one can see them..lol

I still have all my roses blooming, as well as the purple Mexican petunia's, bougainvillea and even a few canna's.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

oh so beautiful, Linda.. it is all browns, gray and damp here, no rain to speak of ..
chicken and noodles, YUM! I did buffalo hot wings last night and we did a chicken in the crockpot for chicken and noodles later, Joe made a coconut custard pie it was yummy.
those bulbs look great, Carole, I am looking forward to the show that is coming from them.
hugs to everyone.. (((( hugs)))) Keep Posting!

WOW Linda Kay! We in the midwest need those pics of beauty, because like Debra said, couldn't get any more drab here is it tried. Is the second pic of the roses the same rose?
Beautiful. No desert here, thought about it but that is as far as it has gone....lol. Problem is I would eat it all.

Yes, 2nd picture is the same rose. It opens up in a beautiful orange then fades.

That is just beautiful.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

funny lk, but i have the same things still blooming

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Debra, me too. I'm anxious to see those big old bulbs blooming. I check them every day and am beginning to see a little green showing. Woot, woot!

I envy you those gorgeous roses, LK. Just beautiful!

It's raining here and predicted to get very windy tonight.

Have a good one.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

very mild and warm here today. 3 inches of rain tomorrow, so will will pay for thesewarm days

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

The birds are loving it.

Lovely roses Lk

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Annette, do you grow roses?

we got some rain finally, everything looks like it got some moisture not any inches amounts in the rain gauge tho, didn't check my rain barrels, it is nice and mild here again, the lady down the street still has roses and hibiscus blooming, all I have are marigolds, mums, lions tail and a few flying saucers blooming.

I used to grow roses until I got the Rose Virus and lost almost all of them. It broke my heart to have to destroy them. Over 20 roses had to be removed.
I still have a Fairy Rose and one Queen Elizabeth Rose that were on the other side of the property and don't seem to be infected.
I can't plant roses in that bed because it stays in the soil, I understand.

OH no, sorry you lost your roses!

Rose rosette is horrible. I also have been struck by it. Now in a class sometime or another I was told that Knock out roses are causing a huge problem. That some of the stock is being sold that is infected. I know in our city, at 3 commercial places the knockouts all have that rose rosette. I tried to explain at the businesses that they were infected and needed to be taken out. The landscape companies just trimmed them. A friend of mine that doesn't garden ask me what was wrong with her knock-outs (huge row along the side of her house) and the same thing, they started blooming and she has left them in cause they looked like they were coming out of it...so much for asking for my knowledge..lol. I hate it cause they just keep infecting everything. Other culprit is the old multiflora that the farmers planted that are so invasive. In fact there was talk about infecting them to kill those out. Problem is it can take 7 years and they kill out the good roses along the way, but lots of those are infected.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have Knockout roses and none have the rose rosette disease. Very easy care. I've had them since 2009. Roses are not among my favorite flowers. The next door neighbor has a bush, but I don't which one. Rose rosette is spread by a mite or by grafting or pruning with infected shears. Always good to clean pruning tools.

It can also be spread if there is a piece of the infected Bush's roots left in the ground. I just decided that it was too much of an investment, both monetary and emotionally to lose them again. I keep coming they can find a cure, or at least some way to keep it from spreading. The problem is that by the time you know they have it, it had mozt likely already spread.

It can also be spread if there is a piece of the infected Bush's roots left in the ground. I just decided that it was too much of an investment, both monetary and emotionally to lose them again. I keep hoping they can find a cure, or at least some way to keep it from spreading. The problem is that by the time you know they have it, it had mozt likely already spread.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2015 12:40 PM

wow I have just learned a lot by reading all this.. (((hugs)))

Yeap it is an ugly disease. I am surprised one of the chemical companies hasn't found a cure.
I just hope no one ever gets it no matter what kind of rose you have.

Gotta wonder between the cold, wind, heat, drought, floods, why we garden...rofl. Unlike farmers we don't have crop insurance...lol

I also have knock out roses out by the chicken house and they are fine so far and still in bloom. I am not saying all knock outs are bad, like any vendor you have good and bad. The other problem is when they are commercially planted in masses and get rosette the landscaping companies or the business doesn't do anything example in my small town all the infected knock outs are still there for at least 2 years now. I removed the ones from the cities display which is how I probably ended up with it at my house.

Friend and I were in home depot and it was obvious that this hosta had hosta virus X. My friend thought if she showed it to the vendor they would do something. Vendor said don't buy that one. rofl. Theresa about fell out. The hosta virus X is highly contagious so all the hostas touching it were probably infected, I knew there was no way the vendor was going to destroy his plants.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nope, the bottom line is almost always the $$$.

Pretty sad they think of the $$$ first.

I read an article online about the Missouri Botanical gardens, I believe it was, That lost the biggest part of their Roses to this disease. I found it when I was researching the disease. Rose rosette, witches broom is another name they used.

bad disease, so sad.

I am using my old hot glue gun, geehz I have forgotten how bad it burns...lol
I am making a wreath out of 200 coffee filters and some left over pipe foam insulator. Very cheap wreath if you are retired and dont count your time..because I have been working on it for hours! I really like it. We are having a while elephant swap and the gift can't be over 5.00, this will be at least come in under budget.

http://www.diybeautify.com/2015/11/make-coffee-filter-wreath-easy-tutorial.html

I actually was very crafty last night and painted some pine cones instead of sorting seeds LOL

came home tonight to two fresh baked pumpkin pies, Joe had a different recipe and he has decided it takes twice as long to bake as the one he usually uses. wish I could have smelled them. *sigh*

You need to post us some pics. I found some pine cones but didn't know what to do with them.

Wow pumpkin pies. He has really gotten into the retirement ... lol DH cooked when I worked but nothing like that.

Pumpkin pie sounds good! OUCH! On the hot glue gun. I have had a few of those nasty little burns in my time. Sounds like you all have been busy. I have been working on my computer, trying to figure out why it keeps crashing. I am about to take it to a computer expert, cause I think it has multiple issues and I am tired of messing with it. So frustrating.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

what is rose roseta?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, those hot glue burns are nasty. I've done that more than once. :(

Annette, do you run Disk Cleanup and other diagnostics periodically? That can be very helpful. But you may have a virus that needs to be cleaned out of your computer.

Rose rosette: http://plantclinic.tamu.edu/2011/07/13/rose-rosette/

Kitty did you get your question answered? Horrible rose disease.

The garden club Christmas was today, now 26 people so we had 26 different dishes and some brought 2 dishes. OMG talk about some excellent food, I don't know how many tables were set up just for food. I made the wreath but it took 350 coffee filters, and took about 5 hours! I figured out my wreath was bigger than the one in the article. Buy the ones from dollar general they have more ruffled edges and fold easier. I think I will start folding them while watching tv. They are just so white and so pretty, wish I would of taken a pic but I forgot. I decided this morning before the party to finish the back. I just cut up some old Christmas cards and glued them to the back of the wreath. If you are looking for a really pretty gift for just a little bit of money about 5.00 I really recommend them.

I had forgotten how bad those stupid glue guns burn. I have some cooler temp glue guns but didn't have alot of glue sticks for it. Dang it hurts especially if you get it on your nails...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I put a link to info about rose rosette in my last post. Lots of info there.

Thanks for the suggestion Carole. I am in the process of cleaning it out now. I am moving 67 GB of pictures to an external hard drive, backing up my personal files, then I am going to run cleanup utilities and see how that goes. My computer has some registry files that are corrupted so it won't do Windows Backup. So I either have to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS, or take it to my repair guy and see if he can fix it without wiping it. He is pretty good at resolving this kind of issues. I really need to upgrade to a new laptop, but I just can't afford a new computer right now. I might see if he can upgrade this one to Windows 7 without costing me a fortune.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Depending how you go about it, it runs around $60 for a software download. But it's a hassle. Computers can be such a pain sometimes. It looks like we're all stuck with them though. ;-)

Cold and frosty here this morning but looks like a very nice day to come. 28° right now, going to 58° this afternoon. Sunny all day.

The holiday lights display along the Cumberland River here starts tonight. They put up over a million lights. It's quite spectacular with the reflections in the river.

I imagine everyone is busy with Thanksgiving plans. This year will be my first without DH in 47 years so I can't say I'm really looking forward to the holidays very much. I'm so thankful I made a big Thanksgiving dinner at home last year. He really enjoyed it.

What are everyone's plans?

It is going to be just Todd and I, but the whole family will be here for Christmas.

Do you have family near by to go to?

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Gm all Going to go up to my Niece Ursula's Place with My Sister &BIL Where all their Kids & GK's will be The Kids all wanted Aunt susie Only Because they wanted my Mc-N-Cheese & Peanut Butter Sheet cake , But I Know it will be a fun time :) .

This message was edited Nov 24, 2015 2:03 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.