CLOSED: Fall Chat 2015

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

No family here, LK, and I don't want to drive to KY. I have a brother who is in Thailand for the winter. My mother used to love to cook a big holiday meal. I have made plans for Thanksgiving and I'm happy with the plans I've made. Lots to do.

Susie, I think only people who have lost a long-time spouse would understand and respond accordingly.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

CV : sorry you misunderstood my meaning .

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

My bother and his wife are hosting Thanksgiving Dinner this year, First time in all the years they have been together(about 35). I used to have Thanksgiving and my sister would have Christmas every year. My brother and SIL have been remodeling their house for years and that was always her excuse for not having the dinner. I didn't mind having it, but it is a lot of work.So my sister and I put her on a guilt trip, sort of. lol We were about half-joking when we said it was her turn.
They have been going to Nashville to her oldest son's on Thanksgiving, and we would have our dinner the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I have 3 family members that work in Retail and always have to work the Black Friday sale, which means they have to work Thanksgiving evening and can't always come for dinner. But we try to schedule it so everyone can come. But I did it too(worked in Retail) for years and holidays can be difficult to enjoy for those that have to endure the Black Friday chaos. People can be so obnoxious. I can tell some real wild stories about how crazy people actually get over sale items.
Carole, my heart goes out to you. I am sure the holidays will not be easy, but I hope you can find a way to get through it. Not having family close by would be difficult for anyone. Will you be going to see the lights? I bet it is spectacular!
My daughter has asked me to go see the Festival of Lights at the Cincinnati Zoo, sometime between now and Christmas. It is free to zoo members and the children insisted that I go with them. How could I refuse? lol

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Mine will be little crazy. Usually his family comes on Sunday after so ddl can go to her parents, and I go to my sister, dh doesn't like all the commotion at my sisters it is crazy but I love it, but for some reason this year ddl cant come on Sunday has to be on Thursday so I will cook dinner for everyone here and then shoot off to my sisters. That probably sounds horrible, but my older sister has alot of health issues and I want to be with them on the holiday. I will be here with his family just not all day.

Holidays are rough, 47 years what an amazing long time to have spent with each other. You must of been a child bride ;) What great memories you must have of all those years.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks Annette and Happ. Yes, I'll go see the lights. I'd love to see the lights in Nashville and at Cheekwood Botanical Gardens but I don't know anyone who's going over there. And I'd probably fall asleep if i stayed up that late. ;-)

Oh wish I was closer I love the lights and don't have anyone to go with! My Mom and I would go driving around at least one night during the season.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I wish you were too, Joyce. We used to do the same thing - always had at least one night we drove around to look at lights. There's a house and yard decorating contest here every year. They post a list in the newspaper so folks know where to go to see some really nice displays.

My Grandbabies love to drive around the neighborhoods and see the lights. We go every year to the neighboring Subdivisions and check them out. We had a big old wind storm that knocked a bunch of my lights off of my roof, so I have to get up there and secure them,again. A friend of mine is supposed to come do the top of the roof for me, so I won't have to climb up there I hope. I have enough lights to light up the whole neighborhood, lol. I bought them on 75% off after Christmas clearance. I used some of them to make a seed warming mat to start my seed trays on.

I use to put up lights years ago. I do decorate the outside just dont do the lights anymore. I have always decorated the house even when I was single. Christmas is for me too...lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well phooey, Annette. You be careful up on the roof. I used to get on our roof in CA, but I'm too old for that now. :-) My mother and I always went to the half-off sales the day after Christmas. After a few more days, most stores cut their holiday leftovers to 75% off. Of course the selection got less but we still managed to find things. lol. I was collecting nutcrackers back then and usually found some nice ones at a 75% discount. She loved Christmas. The first of December, I would bring the artificial tree in from the garage and she would spend the longest time decorating it. It always looked artistic and beautiful. Didn't look like that when I did it. :)

Oh Cville, we are twins separated at birth I believe. My two favorite shopping days, black Friday or use to be until they messed it up, and the day after Christmas...I LOVE IT. Love the crowds, love the looking, being with friends, bell ringers, the whole nine yards. My Mom also loved Christmas, and we always had so much fun.

She posed with Santa in December and we all got a pic and we lost her the following January, I so love this pic. It catches her as her.

Thumbnail by happgarden
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

That is a beautiful picture to cherish for years to come.

This was after one huge stroke and several small. She was such a fighter, came back from all of them and amazed the doctors, they never thought she would talk, walk, eat, or much of anything. She lived with me a year or so and then moved to an apartment that I drove by everyday to and from work. Her sister in law lived there so she had someone she knew and they were buds, helped me alot also...lol

OK I just figured out it is wednesday and not tuesday OMG...I am going to have a long night...lol

Great pic Joyce!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, she looks spunky, Joyce. What a great photo! A treasure.

DH could only "cook" one thing for the holidays. Rice Krispie Treats. :) At least they are fairly low in calories. Now they sell them in packages at the grocery. No muss, no fuss.

I haven't had them in years!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

great memories and times it looks like here is a hug to you all, wishing you a wonderful and safe day tomorrow.
storms all around us, I am looking forward to hugging my three children and seeing them get home safe and sound.
I have wonderful memories of past thanksgivings with a lot of family, miss them all, it seems like every year our little group is smaller.
I am not cooking much, but Joe is making pies for tomorrow as I type from work here. .
I am not as pumped about this particular holiday anymore, but am glad it gives everyone a chance to remember our lost loved ones and cherish those times we had when we were together/..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well said, Debra. Enjoy the day.

Peace.

Safe and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Have a blessed Thanksgiving, one and all!

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Happy Thanksgiving. Even tho we can see our holidays changing and not being what we remember we are building the memories of the next generations to follow.

Be safe.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Linda, reports say the weather in Texas has gotten bad. Are you all okay?

It's gray outside right now, 61° but supposed to be sunny and almost 70° this afternoon. Then a long period of rain or showers.

I hope everyone's Thanksgiving was good. I went to Golden Corral where a lovely family invited me to sit at their table. I wasn't much in the mood for chatting, but it was an enjoyable meal nevertheless. I ate too much turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, collards, turnip greens, pumpkin and pecan pies. That's par for the course on Thanksgiving, isn't it. It's what we're supposed to do.

This was my first Thanksgiving without DH in 47 years. That took much of the joy out of the day but I made it through. I'm grateful for the years we did have and for a nice day to enjoy a special meal yesterday.

It is 70 right now and cloudy. It has been sprinkling off and on for a few days. But it is supposed to drop to 43 tonight. Not too bad for the end of November. Weather channels says we will get lots of rain from hurricane Sandra through Monday.

Cville how sweet of the family to invite you to eat with them, I am sure Thanksgiving felt so so sad. But what a small glimmer of light to have the family include you.

Turkey day was cold and rainy and I cooked here, and then went to my baby sisters house and then we went to Penny's only because I have been collecting their free snow globes for years and this is the last year....after getting drowned Penny's wasn't handing them out until Fri at 3pm. I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving.

Black Friday was a bust, myself and a friend have gone out for 35years. Not this year, temps were in the 30's and we were having freezing rain, 70's OMG LK my feet and hands are sooo cold.... lol

Have a good weekend. Hope the ice doesn't come your way Cville.

Hey deejay are you freezing up there? Hope you don't have ice either.

The worse thing about eating alone is what to do with your eyes....

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't think we'll have ice. At least there's not any in the forecast. Temps are predicted to be in the 50's all week. So far, I haven't even had to put on a coat yet.

I enjoy people watching and it's easy to do at buffets like Golden Corral. So that's what I do with my eyes. If I smile, almost everyone smiles back. That's probably easier now that I'm old. lol. :)

Carole, I agree, it was very nice to have someone invite you to their table.

It is not 70 today, it is 40, and windy.

well it is cold, wet, and windy here....geehz, Missouri has all of the worse weather. The ice is cracking when the trees move, that is always so strange sounding.

tempted to buy that nuwave oven they are advertising. My nephew has one and LOVES it.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

They sell those at Walmart. Looks interesting. I wish I knew someone who has used one.

You know those info commercials, everything looks great! lol. You got two for the price of one, and a bunch of other stuff just pay shipping and handling, hummm, the s&h is probably the same as the cost...lol

Another cold dreary dark wet icy day! Ok I am already tired of winter, way tired of it!!

Here is a pic of my door my DGD decorated for me. I am surprised that the glue stick is holding the coffee filters up so well. Hope they stay past Christmas. Now this is a color photo if there was any color or light to be had... ;(

Thumbnail by happgarden

Love the snowflakes Joyce!

I have never heard of the nuwave.

nuwave oven I think they call it. You know one of those infomericals where eveything looks so good. It cooks fast, fat free, and will clean your house while you are sleeping...lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It seems to get a lot of mixed reviews on websites.

Think I'd rather have a Roomba. But they're a lot more expensive. :)

Is this what your talking about. I can't say that I have seen this commercial. Probably because I hate commercial, and ignore them.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=newave%20oven&es_th=1

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's it.

Yeah, I don't usually watch them but the dining room table is behind the sofa table, then the sofa, and then the footstool which is where the remote seems to sit. And I am too lazy to get up and get the remote...rofl. My laptop sits on the sofa table, I usually during the day drag it to the dining room table, at night I sit sideways on the couch and use the laptop off the sofa table...lol

My 'desk' is either on the second floor or the garden room..

Think my cat might be sick. She is not eating right. So far today I have taken her can food, baked chicken, treats, and she has just nibbled at them, will see what tomorrow brings. Hope she is not sick. She is a sweetie.

Sorry to hear about your cat. I hope she gets better soon.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Me too. My two cats are like babies. They are so spoiled.

Katgroves/Kathy, I pray everything is alright with your family.

Debra, the rose of sharon you sent finally bloomed. I thought you said it was blue, but it is white. It is so pretty.

Thumbnail by taters55

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.