CLOSED: Fall Chat 2015

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Kathy!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday from me also. too bad you have to work...dang.

Busy day, beautiful weather altho no rain.

I watered eveyrthing in the Gardenroom, not bad while I can use the hose, it is the pits when I have to carry water tho.

My baby sister is bringing over all my Great Nieces next Sunday and we are making concrete stones for the garden for Christmas presents...we are going to have soooo much fun. Can't hardly wait.

Got a couple of things ready to winter over. I need to plant but the ground is like concrete and I have pulled something on the side of my knee. Think it is getting better but it needs to hurry. That is the leg I use on the shovel. Beside shifting my car is not comfortable.

Looks like our weather is going to be mild all thru next week...yeah.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Annette and Joyce, just glad that it wasn't a long day. Work Monday and long day Tuesday and then am off until Monday.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

So what's going on with everybody now that gardening season has wound down for a lot of us? We still haven't had a hard frost. I'm not complaining.

It rained all day yesterday and last night. I think that's it for awhile.

This is my Albuca 'Frizzle Sizzle'. I love it. :) I think it's from South Africa or someplace where it grows in the winter and goes dormant in the summer. Here, it goes with the flow and grows during the summer, dormant in the winter.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

I am still waiting to dig the Dahlias and Cannas, going to plant Daylilies where the Dahlias are as soon as it stops raining. So much still to do!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Rain here also all day yesterday and again for today. Off work until Monday, but don't know how much I might get done outside. Still have a few pots to empty and get put up.

Linda Kay when are you seeing the surgeon?

So much for watching the weather...lol Guess mild I thought would be 70's but it has been high 50's and rain. Thank goodness for rain, I haven't had any since either end of August or very first of September. windy and really foggy so far today, I have a bag of about 35 daffs to get in the ground, and still have some other stuff to either winter over in raised beds or get planted.

I still have a bunch of cannas to get out of the ground. As far as frost I think we could have some tonight so it is do or die with what I have left out. Don't think it is going to be heavy so we might not get any at all.

I have been making some stain glass Christmas ornaments for our clubs community Christmas tree. Little things are really hard for me to do, especially round things, but having fun. If I could keep the cat busy and away. Then I have a ton of Christmas presents to get done. Seems several friends and my brother have a thing about pink flamingos so I would like to make them a stain glass picture, I need to make a Chiefs (football) stepping stone, and a Coca Cola stepping stone looks like a bottle top (they will mosaics).

I've read two good books, we have Amazon Prime and I think it was good but now they have Amazon unlimited and I think some of my free books have left Amazon Prime and they are trying to get you to go to Amazon Unlimited, course it is more expensive. I hate reading cause once I start a good book I don't want to stop...lol. We don't have cable or anything like that so Amazon takes the place of that.

So that is what I have been doing.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

No frost here yet, I still have several plants blooming.
Morning glories the birds planted on the ash tree, angel trumpets never grew much this year, not one bloom, my Mexican petunias are still growing strong, I cut some out last ninth and gave them to my neighbor. A beautiful burnt orange bougainvillea, and my pride of Barbados still blooming. Anyone want seeds?

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55

And lots of assorted roses.

I saw my surgeon Monday, and was all set to get a date for hip surgery. Well, he looked at my MRI of my hip, and told me after several very painful ranger of motion test, that my problem may not be my hip. He said I may have a pinched nerve in my back, so he sent me off for another MRI, and told me to come back in two weeks. But before he let me go, he told me we like to treat these things with injection first. I looked him in the eye, and told him there will be no more injections. I have had nothing but injections for the last 4 years and they don't work. He told me they have been treating the wrong thing! Needless to say, I left there in tears.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, they have a way of putting patients in tears sometimes. I refuse to let my doctor see me cry. Funny how if there is a problem they try to make it be your fault, and if it's really their fault they have all kinds of reasoning for that.

Lovely roses.

I like how the first one is supposed to be all pink, but has a few red petals!

Oh Linda Kay I know you are sooo disappointed, but I guess on the good side, if they had done the surgery and it NOT work holey moley that would of been beyond horrible. Wow waiting another 2 weeks after you have been waiting for soooo long!!

Wow beautiful flowers Linda Kay, everything here is losing it's leaves and soon everything will be BROWN....and drab.

Been on hold with the phone company about our internet. Amazing while waiting on hold for over 20 minutes it came back up. Does this all the time.

Ever been dog tired...not exactly a soft pillow....

Thumbnail by happgarden

If it is back on, hang up.

I love your dog! We used to have bassett hound years ago, it was Dad's hunting dog. Or at least he thought it would be a good hunting dog. Barney turned out to be bad for hunting, but all of us kids fell in love with him!

Keyed in a big ole response and LOST it...lol Lucky you guys.

This basset is named Slick, and he is our second basset we just love them. Our first was a runt of the litter and I got him for DH for our anniversary. He was such a sweetie. He died of melanoma! We already had Slick and it is a good thing cause don't know if DH could of made it without Slick. In this pic the original basset is on the left see all his grey hair, the new baby basset Slick is on the right. Slick was as big as Bass...lol and just a few months old. Look at Slicks ears, they are HUGH, still are and he falls over his feet all the time, he sure has gotten gray wow.

Tired to take pics of the flowers in the solar room but too bright if facing outward. I could only get these, These are all succulents of one kind or another.

Windy and COLD out...yuck.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

Beautiful dogs. Slick was/is huge! Sorry you lost one to melanoma.

Love your solar room!

I am already sick of the cold...lol cold, windy, and wet here...yuck.

Here are some pics of the solar room and the mess...lol During the winter the sun comes in but in the summer the house is positioned so no sun comes in. I am going to sew up a cover for the lounge chair as soon as I figure out what color I want. Great place to read or if you are sick nothing like lounging in the sun during the winter.

I was kind of proud of me figuring out how to get two pots on one stand. I took my two minature gardens and stuck them on that plant table.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

wow, i have missed a lot here, I love the blooms Linda, and wow, Joyce really nice set up for your plants there. Love the dog photos too. I have been busy, but after the first I will be gardening inside.
we need more people to sign up for the Christmas swap.. *hint hint*
Dear Kat, I hope your Birthday was finally Grand after work. Sorry I am late, but Happy Birthday!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Debra

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

GM Everyone TY Happ For sending me to this link to where you all are chatting on Love to find all my Favorite People in One spot :)
Like the rest of you I'm SO NOT READY For Winter today is 48* Rain/snow Mix Nothing sticking to the ground Thankfully:)

SO good day to bake cookies :)
Making Sugar cookies for zoeys Holloween party Friday.

Now that I Know where you all are Hanging out I will be back :)
to chat when I can :)

Hey Susie! So glad to see you here. How are you doing?

There are several swaps going on, check them out.

Julie has the Christmas interest thread open, come and check it out.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1407774/

Kathy has the keep me warm swap OPEN.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1407782/

Betty has her 9th Annual DG Christmas Craft Workshop. Come and learn something new, and have fun.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1404533/

Oh deejay glad you found us.

Debra I love those butterflies way up on the forum, they are beautiful and will make great cards.

LK those roses are so pretty, I have two miniature roses in the garden. First year for them, I need to figure out how to overwinter them. My Mom just planted them and didn't do anything but I am guessing that won't work for me...lol She was green all over, not just her thumb.

Cold and windy here, no playing outside...yuck.

Susie! (((((((( HUGS))))))) so glad to see you! Cookies, I need cookies LOL
BRRR! still no frost here, YAY!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Afternoon all Just got home Had to take my Dog Peanut to the Vet Looks as she might have a Thyroid Problem had to take a Blood test will Know next week sometime .
so for now she is on an antibiotic for the skin rash & Prednizone for the itch Not sure but it might be an alergy thing if its not the thyroid .
Thought I would show you How I spent Most of my summer with my Critters & Gardens
1st is My SILKIES That I raise Just for the eggs :)
2 nd is my 18 Yr old Peanut
3rd is The Neighbors cat Goldie whom moved into my Home back in 2006 & never went back to his home again, so guess he's mine :)
4 is what I would like to do with pine cones

Right now I have my gardens closed up for the winter so been looking for things I can do this winter while being shut in . I'd Like to do Pine cones But we have none around here .
so I will probable have to order a few or buy them at wal-mart when they come in .

well off to fix my sup & watch the news & zoey will be here to frost the cookies :) so you all have a great evening .

Oh I have a seed Robin open if anyone would like to come join us Going to CLOSE SIGN UP ON SAT OCT 31 st

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1405444/

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

I have entered the photo contest :

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2015-photo-contest/
Hi Susie! love your pets.. :D Can't wait to get cookies.. LOL tell Zoey..

Sorry to hear your gardens are all done for the winter. I love all your animals. And those pinecones are pretty.

Oh my love the silkies, too cute and your baby peanut gotta love that face. A friends dog had skin allergies and would scratch and scratch, figured out he was allergic to grain, which is in alot of dog food these days. We had to cut down all our pine trees but a couple cause they had pine tree wilt. I will look and see if they have any cones. Would be happy to send them to you if you want. Will look tomorrow. They wouldn't weigh any thing and could send them parcel.

It has been I think really cold but no frost, maybe I just can't handle cold any more. Next week in the 70's I could get some things planted if it gets that warm.

lol...yeap Linda Kay your good weather is probably just starting and ours is ending...lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Love those Silkies, deejay. I wish I could keep some chickens. We can't have them inside of the city limits. :( Peanut is very cute. I'd like a small dog but don't think my cats would stand for that.

I can't believe it's November. I forgot to change my clocks yesterday so the time I got up this morning ended up being 3 am. Sheesh. Worse than I thought. Wah, wah, wah.

We have not yet had a hard frost, only a couple of light ones. I still need to dump out some of my large containers and cut down the Jerusalem Artichokes. The red honeysuckle is still blooming. Everything else is done for the year.

Laid in bed as long as I could stand it, foggy outside this morning, beautiful with the sun breaking over. Looks like we are going to have sunshine tho. No hard frost here yet either. The tips of the cannas have some damage, and so does an elephant ear I need to dig up.

In Kansas city proper you can have some hens but no roosters...lol. Guess no crowing allowed and I can understand why.

DH had to make a 10:30pm run to vet emergency room with the Basset hound. He started barking and whining and biting at his tail. 295.00 later! He has arthritis in his tail? Vet said there is a knot on the tail down toward his bottom. Got shots and pills. No whining last night he was out like a light, DH had to carry him in he was so asleep.

New day, new time, new month! Wow November already.

Glad to hear they found out what was wrong with your dog.

poor baby! Ouchy! Hope he feels better soon. I can't imagine having a tail, let alone arthritis too.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Congrats to the Kansas City Royals, Debra. :)

YAY! Thanks! We stayed up and watched that game, and we could hear Kansas City Cheering all the way down here in Derby. :)

Wow you all have been busy! I am still gardening here in KY. Joyce, I have plants to get in the ground too. And Dahlias to dig. It is still too wet to do either one. And we are running out of time!
Love everyone's pictures!
LK I sure hope the Dr. gets you some relief, whatever he does. I hope that surgery isn't necessary, for your sake, but if it is, I hope they do it soon.
Have a wonderful day everyone!

{{{{{{{Annette}}}}}}} It is so good to hear from you.. ;D

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Sunny and dry here this week before rain and cooler temperatures this weekend

Annette, scroll up to the post from Oct. 29th. There are several swaps going on. Check them out.

It is nice to see you posting, where have you been hiding?

I have been on here on different forums, lost a few threads for some reason. But I am back, now. Thanks!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yay!

Whose going to the parade tomorrow? Sure glad I don't work downtown, because my building was close to Power and Light!! lol

I was sooo exhausted from playing with Great Nieces I fell asleep early! So didn't know until this am about the Royals. Last I saw they had just scored a run in the 9th or something and the guys on tv said this is what the Royals do only too well to make a come back, look out NY. Only wish they could of won at home, but glad they won!

I HIGHLY recommend if you have little ones making these stepping stones was soooo much fun. I did learn alot so if you decide to let me know and I will give you some learning lessons..lol We are going to make a tradition of this. One G-niece is 9, one is 4, and the other is 1 3/4...lol

We had a beautiful day and the girls just had a ball.
They chased chickens and ducks, at least the middle one, the older was trying to pet them and our older chickens will squat and let you do that. Then they fed the koi and figured out if they stuck their hands in the water the koi would come up to them.

Loved the big lab Sam and he loved them and tried to get in the car with them. Now you have not seen a backseat until you see 2 car seats and an 8 year wedged in and a 140 lab climbing in there..wowzer...lol

Started on a stepping stone for a friend for Christmas, can you guess what it is? lol
Hopefully get concrete poured tomorrow and start mosaic later this week.

Hope everyone is enjoying the great weather!!

Thumbnail by happgarden
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Looks like an arrow to me.

I haven't done any mosaics in years. I should get started again. We made mosaic trivets at 4-H Camp when I was about 14. I've liked mosaics ever since.

Chuckling at Sam. Our next door neighbor in Seattle trained Golden Retrievers and took them to shows. Beautiful dogs as are Labs.

Foggy and cool here this morning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.