CLOSED: Fall Chat 2015

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Wow, bananas I would love to taste a fresh banana, you know everything tastes different than when you buy vegtables and fruit from the stores.

Some banana plants are even rated zone 5

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d442

I think that is what I have but too chicken to leave it in the ground all winter. Last year I didn't water and let it go dormant in the pot, then early spring started watering and it came back.
Maybe I will put one of the pups out and see if it survives. I would love to have a big old stand of them behind the pergola, since I am trying to do it in tropical theme....

Well out to finish brining the tropicals in going down in the 30's friday night...ughhh, course going back up to the 70's right after that, just wants to kill everything off... ;(

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Hard to believe it is time for cold temps for some of you!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

yeah, it's still warm here.

Repotted and wrestled in to huge plants into the solar room. Geehz I have used alot of potting soil the fall.

We will be cold for one night, I will probably cover alot of things so they will last a bit longer. This is when I get real envious of your zone 9 and zone 8....

look out the window by the ee and you will see a big ole plant called a cirnum. Blooms for me in the winter in the solar room. It is now having babies...geehz, can't keep any more of these..lol

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

My Crinums are both in the ground. It looks like you do use a lot of soil, happ. It's nice to have one bloom indoors so you can enjoy it during the winter.

My asters and sedums are blooming.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Those are pretty.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Pretty pics.

They are calling for our first frost here Saturday night and then again for Sunday night and then warming back up into the 70's. I may bring in some of the annuals in pots and then again I may not. I have way to many to cover them all and wouldn't be here Monday morning to uncover them.

Hope that everybody has a great day. I have errands to run later.

Kathy

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I love the color of your asters. Very pretty! it is 50 out right now, not a drift of wind, and the morning glories are standing out sticking their tongues out at the cold..
Hi ya Kat!

Love the asters they are always so pretty,. I never have any luck with those or mums. If I can get them to survive one winter I am very lucky. My anemones are really pretty right now, think I will cover then. This is my first year to try anemones.

Now the watering starts indoors and for me that is alot, plus this is the start of making Christmas presents....lol

Are you guys doing projects for Christmas?

Are you quilting Linda Kay?

Thumbnail by happgarden
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Hi Debra, are you at work?

We have a pretty good wind blowing now but is supposed to settle down later on today. They are now saying 29 for tomorrow night. Looks like the first night for some heat.

I am making snowflake blocks for a swap.

Just wanted to let you all know that my ex passed away this morning. He is not suffering anymore. Thanks for all the support and prayers.

Hi all, I am only doing seed packets to give away for Christmas, and some home made cards.. here are the cards..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

and these..
Linda ((((( hugs)))))

Joyce, I am NOT ready for the cold!!!! No No No
Can't believe it is going to be 29 for you, Kat.
Joe and I are working in the yard all day this weekend.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Beautiful cards Debra.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful cards Debra and yes they are saying 29 for one night and 31 for the other and then back into the 70's with lows only in the 40's. Guess Indian Summer will be here this week. I also am going to try and do some yard work this weekend. The boys went up to the barn and got my hay bales and also cut me some corm stalks so ready to put up my autumn display outside. I left my mums inside last night just in case it got colder than what they said that it would.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Love the photos, Debra. Those will make special gifts for the lucky recipients.

It was 35° this morning with patchy frost. No heavy frost yet but won't be long now. The leaves are turning gold and red. I still haven't gotten over to Lowes to buy mums. Might not do that this year. I do need to push the rolling greenhouse into the garage. My succulents won't tolerate a heavy freeze. However, it's going back into the 60's and 70's this week.

I hardly recognize my front yard since the Azaleas were pruned.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

We had temps down to 27 in the area last night, so I need to go out and see what the damage is. I covered what could not be brought in, in hopes of keeping things blooming a little longer. As soon as it warms up a little I will see in that was an exercise in futility or not. I hope you all are well and enjoying these lovely Fall days, I fear they will end before we are ready for it.
I still have tons to do in the gardens, and with a little luck, the weather will hold long enough for me to get things done. This year I am not taking any chances, all the perennials are going in the ground. Some I will plant in pots in temporary homes, until I can get them in their more permanent locations. I have to do some shuffling around and I may run out of time. Last year I lost a lot of plants that would have survived, normally. But we all know that last Winter was far from normal.

Linda Kay I know it is hard on your boys, but peace has arrived for him. Hard when you can't be there for the kids.

Would love to see your quilt blocks can you post a pics?

Debra beautiful cards. WOW....

OK this is strange all of you in warmer zones seem to have gotten frost and I don't think I did zone 5...strange. I covered everything and in fact they are still covered because I was gone all day yesterday. I left the house at 6am and it was still 44 and no frost. Met up with friends and we drove 2 1/2 hours to a craft festival and a day of junking. definition of junking to us is to hit every flea market, junk store, and antique store we can hit in a day...lol I got home abt 8:30pm...after lots of laugh, junk food at the festival, and walking a million miles...great day.

Cville we have some beautiful mums around here this year the mum growers have HUGE ones, sadly because they are so late they wouldn't last long here.

Well I am giving a talk tomorrow night about above ground growing, for some education hours for our gardening group so I better get with it.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We had freezing temps or a little below that last night. The leaves will soon begin to fall heavily. There hasn't been a lot of yellow and red in the woods. Now there will be.

That's the problem with the mums - they don't always last. I debate whether I'll buy any and by the time I decide, it's too late. :-/ I had some real beauties one year and I miss them.

Hope your talk goes well, happ. Interesting topic.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I got down to 26 here last night. Brought in several containers that I still wanted to see blooming but didn't cover anything else. Now will have to start getting everything in the yard cleaned up as the leaves will really start to fall now. Pots to empty, clean and put away but they are calling for highs in the 70's for the next several days, so will just do a little each evening after work. I am hoping to get the 28th and 29th off but will have to wait and see when I go back to work tomorrow.

Everyone take care,
Kathy

I will post the blocks as soon as I get them done.

No frost here. Coolest temps so far has been 58.

Did you find any cool treasures while shopping?

I always find treasures...rofl. I did refrain pretty much. I bought a pound of black walnuts, one of my favs for cooking. Bought a clear glass plate for 2.00 that I need to finish a glass flower. Thats about it. I have so many projects to finish that I actually refrained from getting anything. I didn't know I had such self-control.

Can't wait to see the blocks.

Kathy I remember those days when I was working. It was tough when I knew the weather was good and was ending soon and I was stuck indoors. I can tell you one thing for sure, those that work are much better at scheduling your time than ME.... since I have retired I have been awful about dallying around...lol

I bet your blocks are going to be beautiful, Linda. Can't wait to see them.

Rose came over today and we worked all day and I made stirfry tonight after, I am pooped.
Still no freezing temps, thank goodness. Still have brugs and orchids under the pear tree.

I miss going to flea markets and craft fairs, lucky you Joyce.
Jo McFall ( KayJones) has rejoined DG, someone go find her and lead her here?
I can't seem to grow an Azalea to save my soul, but Joe's mom up in Buffalo has a huge 30 yr old hedge under front windows. It is a sight to behold in SPring.

I have a few mums blooming in ground, thought about making a fall display, but just focusing on getting things in right now. Back to work tomorrow.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Some of my Azaleas in bloom. They have been cut back now but they will bloom again. Meanwhile, I can see out the windows. :)

I haven't let myself go to thrift stores for awhile. Dangerous territory for me.

Frost here this morning, sunny this afternoon and in the 70s.

Debra, Dmail Kay Jones and tell her to come to this forum.

Ya'll have a fine day.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

I looked for her, and the only KayJones is listed in Florida. Is that her?

Carole, those are beautiful azalea's.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Linda.

I think that's the Kay Jones they're talking about. I remember she used to live in FL.

Julie has the Christmas interest thread open, come and check it out.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1407774/

Just read about you seeing the surgeon, you are probably relieved and apprehensive all at the same time. But the relief will be amazing.

Yes, I am so looking forward to getting this hip fixed!

Kathy has the keep me warm swap OPEN.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1407782/

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Prayers, Linda Kay

A very beautiful day here and another Friday and then calling for rain for the weekend. I will be working so hope to get some things done while I am off.

How are you doing after your accident?

Betty has her 9th Annual DG Christmas Craft Workshop. Come and learn something new, and have fun.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1404533/

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Linda Kay, I'm doing ok, still get stiff and sore but other wise fine.

Glad to hear your ok.

Hugs to All of you.. (((((hugs)))))

Thumbnail by joeswife

Beautiful caladium Debra.

Happy birthday Kathy/Katgroves. I hope you have a fantastic day!

Thumbnail by taters55
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Linda. I will once i get home from work

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday, Kathy!

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Carole

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.