CLOSED: Groundhogs and Daffodils Chat

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hope you don't have to shovel that .25" of snow. lol.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

How much snow did you end up getting, Carole? Looks like you all got quite a bit too. There is a driveway under there somewhere. lol
A friend of ours is supposed to come with a tractor and blade and clear it sometime today. I still have to get through a 3ft snow drift to get out of the garage, unless I can talk someone into shoveling it for me. It is a challenge, indeed. Wish me luck!
I feel sorry for the people who are struggling with 6 FEET of snow. Makes us in KY sound like a bunch of wimps! But in our defense we aren't really equipped to deal with this stuff. The single digit temps are going to keep this snow around for a while.
I remember your mug Amanda, that was a fun swap.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We got around 3-4 inches, Annette. It certainly seems like more than that though. Not much chance of it melting until Saturday. This week's garbage pickup never happened and I have a feeling it might not happen until next week. They've already moved the Monday pickups to this Saturday and since we're Tuesday pickup, I think we may be waiting. Kinda bad when you have an ill person in your home. If I stack it on the deck, critters get into it - although it looks like most of the critters are holed-up for now.

Getting a new mug is always fun. I've already bought one for this year's swap. Actually, I think I have a couple of mugs in my stash closet. ;-)

Cold here and getting colder. Going to work on some clay!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hiya Kris! :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Very cold here in Michigan again today. Been snowing a lot to day. Not quit as windy. Very dry air today can really tell the difference too. It stayed only at 9 today.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ronna, I don't think we can compete with your cold but we've certainly had more than enough cold, snow and ice for my neck of the woods. :(

It warmed up a bit. I worked on the kitchen for an hour or so! My clay did not cooperate so I took a break from it.

Hi Amanda,, Going to watch a movie with Ralph,,,,,

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Amanda has the 2015 Spring Round Robin Interest thread OPEN HERE:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1386836/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

What movie did you watch, Kris? Seems every time I start one, I never get to see the end. Oh well, I'm not much on movies these days anyway. That's probably the reason. ;-)

We watched the move. By Tommy Lee Jones, a western. Called Homeward? Very strange and depressing. I do not reccomend it!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi, you all.. that is a great mug, Amanda. We drove down to Corpus Christie where you'd think it would be warm, but everyone including us was dressed for winter, my Joanna Finally got meet with her net friend of 8 years face to face.. :) She is a nice girl and then my sis in law and I drove back to SA, but as soon as the sun went down we got lost . She has a smart phone, but doesn't have the APP, so she called her "Mike in the Box" and he turned us around, got home just fine. I'm wearing my Pj's from Jax and LK this whole week, glad I have them.

Well it's snowing AGAIN...we are expecting 5" more on top of the 12' we got Monday, and it is colder here than it is in Canada...what's up with THAT? I may have to move to the Northwest to get some relief from this bitter cold. The weather man is saying that we could set an ALLTIME record for lows in KY. We could go as low as -30* tomorrow night, and that is not the windchill they are talking about, it's the actual temp. Water pipes around here just are not prepared for that kind of cold, not to mention the people, so I shudder to think what might happen. It is going to be difficult for a lot of people to stay warm in those extremes.
You know you see this stuff on the news and think "oh gee, those poor people" well now those "poor People" are Us! I can imagine how they feel in Boston and the Northeast by now. I am sure they never want to see snow and cold weather again in this lifetime. lol The good news is that I did get the driveway cleared off before it started snowing again. lol I REALLY can't wait for Spring!

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23

oh dear... here is hoping you get warm, thawed, melted and colorful very soon!

Debra looks like we cross posted lol. Glad you got un-lost. hope you are having a good trip. It's so nice that your DD got to meet her friend Face to face, I hope to be able to meet a lot of you all Face to face at some point.
My boss told me to stay home and work again today,( because of the new snow that is falling as I speak) He really is a sweetie, although he would vehemently deny it . lol

Sorry for the moaning and groaning, but nobody around here wants to listen to it .Lol, I get no sympathy at all. I guess they are all worried about the weather like me. Although we can't do a darn thing about it but sit back and watch it happen. I do have supplies in, I just pray we don't lose electricity, cause I am all electric with no real good source alternate heat. That could get rough in a hurry! I could steal the kerosene heater out of the greenhouse but then I would lose everything out there. I really need a new kerosene heater anyway but they are not cheap for the 23,000 btu model, which is what I use out there. Anyway,enough complaining. I better get back to work. Have a great morning everyone!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

We're all sympathizing Nanny! Though I have to say, temps like that in KY do sound quite unusual.

Debra - what fun! I hope you will post pics of your road trip.

I am going to pull the covers up over my head again methinks. Hope everyone has a safe day!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Don't apologize for the moaning and groaning, Annette. Same thing here. So I'm empathizing with you rather than sympathizing. We got another 1.5" of snow this morning. Now it's more snow over the ice. Lovely. And it will be in the minus-temps tonight. I can't get down the steps and out to the mailbox. Well, I might make it but don't think I'll attempt it until I can locate my ice cleats. It's supposed to be 45° with rain Saturday. That will put an end to all this mess. Yay!

On a positive note, we have not lost power, which not everyone around here can say. We're all-electric and no heat would be a real bummer with these temps.

Debra, I'm sometimes directionally-challenged too. ;-)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes, we here in our area of Michigan have been getting lots of snow also. Its been snowing here non stop all day too. Nanny believe me I know how you are feeling. I really do suffer from S.A.D. every year. Having a real hard time getting over the hump. I did join a local gym not far from my house. Going after work and working out a little seems to lift the mood some. But still really do need the sun too. Gloominess is no fun at all.

I am cold!!

That being said,, I am really cold!!! Lol

So glad it is not snowing here! But I have a draft from a badly installed window that I was planing on replacing, but kept forgetting to do it.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Annette, we got more snow this morning on top of what we already had but they are saying that we will only get down to -13 tomorrow night. Really makes me glad that I am off on Friday's and this is also my weekend off.

Everyone stay safe and warm.

Kathy

Why is it ok to offer plants for postage but not stained glass? I put up an offer on several forums offering to send stained glass for the cost of postage and got a note from Admin saing I am in violation of DG rules!

I am NOT renewing my membership tomorrow. So stoping by to say goodbye to everyone here....

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh shoot, Kris. I hate to hear that. :-(

That is not right Kris. I don't want to see you go.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

O pooo. I do hate to see our friends depart. My membership is coming due next month . . . . hmmmm. Where would I go to feed my penchant for plants?! And silly girls? :)

Well , we are digging out...slowly. Tonight some places in KY could experience temps as low as -20 or -30...that is not the wind chill, but the actual temp. That is just crazy! And hopefully the weatherman is suffering from exhaustion and just read it wrong. lol That is a record low, we are under a windchill advisory til tomorrow afternoon. And there is another winter storm headed this way, Friday night and Sat. Maybe an ice/snow/rain event. Geez the hits just keep on coming. I hope you all are not getting all this sub-zero stuff, too. I am praying that we don't lose power, if we do I might have to go stay in the green house, lol We have propane and kerosene heat out there. This stuff is beginning to get old. :(
I keep telling myself that Spring is coming and every day we are a little closer to it's arrival...Happy thoughts...Warm thoughts...I am trying, really I am. :)
I planted some hyacinth beans today and am going through my seeds to see what else I can plant to cheer myself up. I can't get out my back door for the huge drift that is up against it, so until it warms up enough to work outside it will stay there. Unless I can bribe someone into shoveling it for me lol Stay warm you all!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Commiserating with you, Annette. :( It was -8° here this morning. I think it warmed to 13° or so this afternoon. No melting since the ground is so cold. More snow or ice tomorrow depending on how the temp goes - different models say different things. It will finally be in the 40s with rain Saturday. I suited up and trudged to the mailbox since I hadn't been in a few days. Got the mail and trudged back to the house. Looked out the window just in time to see the mailman delivering today's mail (late). So I suited up again and trudged back to the mailbox once more. This is really a pain in more ways than one. The garbage is piling up on the deck. Come on Saturday.

The cardinals are beautiful against the white snow. At least that's something positive.

Oh no, Carole that sounds about like my luck! I understand about the "suiting up" It takes longer to get dressed to go out than the actual thing that you do when you get out there. lol I filled the bird feeders before it snowed (the first time) and they are almost empty, but the birds have enjoyed the feed and I have enjoyed watching them. (Sigh) It just occurred to me that I can't get to the feeders to refill them unless I dig through the huge drift on the back patio. I was expecting a package from UPS yesterday but it has been delayed until tomorrow because of all the bad weather.
It has been a wild ride for sure. And it isn't over yet. Sounds like you all are having the same Arctic Blast that we are. I think I will go to bed after supper and console myself with my new garden catalogs and dream of warmer days.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

It sounds like everybody is having the bad weather. Annette, our weather sounds about the same and I was supposed to get my Avon delivered Tuesday and it has been delayed everyday and now they are saying tomorrow. Hope so as we are also supposed to get the rain, ice snow mix. It is already below 0 here so I am really glad that I am off the next 3 days and don't have to get out in it.

Have a good night ladies and stay safe and warn.

Kathy

Kathy, the awful weather seems to be very widespread. The deep South is in a deep freeze and The North is under several feet of snow ,and we here in the middle ,are getting caught in the crossfire. Hope you all stay safe and warm too.

We just need a Huge Group hug to stay warm. Chin ups, it will be Spring before we know it, and then we will be complaining of how HOT it is LOL.
Met up with LK today and it was great. Will post pics tommorrow nite. Driving home starting out at 6 am.

Elfie, please reconsider, I bet they won't want you to leave. We don't want to lose you for sure.

Big wave to Debra! Have a safe trip home.

Sorry to hear that you are all so cold. It hit about 70 this afternoon.

This is Debra and I at dicks last resort on the river walk.

Thumbnail by taters55
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the group hug. Here you two are right-side-up. Looks like fun.

So true, Annette. Aggravating to spend so much time suiting up for a short trip to the mailbox. I think I'll just forego that trip today.

It's 6° at the moment. Sleet and snow are predicted again today. This really is getting old. One more day to go until rain, warmth and melting ice/snow. But who's counting? lol. I feel sorry for the guys picking up the garbage this week. There are now piles of trash bags next to dumpsters at the end of everyone's driveway.

One of the cats is stir-crazy. He seems to quickly forget the conditions outside. But, then, I'm stir-crazy myself.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Great picture Debra and LK!
Well we have hit an all time low t here temp in the Bluegrass -17*, we have gone from cold to just plain ridiculous! I with you Carole, this stuff is getting really old. It has been a real struggle to keep the greenhouse warm enough, right now it is between 48-50* out there. Warm enough to keep things from freezing but not ideal for the amount of heat that is going out there. I like to keep it above 50* but I am guessing that is warmer than some peoples houses are about now, so no complaining.
I feel sorry for anyone that has to work outside in this mess. It is just miserable and dangerous. Once the sun pops up the temp in the GH will rise pretty quickly. Yesterday it got up to 99* at one point, because I have disabled the exhaust fan in order to conserve the heat.
I was awakened this morning by the phone ringing, it was my daughter saying that I would have to drive 35 miles to pick up the children because her DH's truck was trying to quit while taking her to work and they might end up stranded in the cold. Before I could get myself together she called me back to say that they figured out what the problem was and they would call me back if they needed me to come. It seems that diesel trucks have a tendency for the fuel to gell up in extremely cold weather. My daughters vehicle is broke down, so they are down one vehicle, so this has not been a great week around here for vehicles :( So I am up and dressed and having coffee and waiting for the sun to rise so I can turn the gas heater of in the greenhouse, before I go to work. Have a great day and stay warm.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

This morning I got an email with some beautiful pictures. Sending it to bring some cheer. It sure cheered me.

http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MjM5MjE0NTQ4Mw==&mid=200115697&idx=6&sn=74ffa17c3f3374553c6261be656fbb15&scene=1&from=groupmessage&isappinstalled=0#rd

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Some interesting photos, Crystal. I've seen some of them in various places but nice to have them all together. I'll be forwarding that.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good day everyone - you made me smile and for that I am thankful. :)

Loved the pictures! Had a Blast Linda. Gosh, Annette, I know you are worried about your daughter and her DH, and it's great that you were ready to rescue. Can't believe how cold you got, and hope it starts warming up soon. Our winter blast will hit tomorrow night. I think we are ready. I saw all kinds of tropicals while in Texas and I know they had freezing temps while I was there. I am amazed at how tough some of them can be. It is great for you to have a greenhouse, too, you will want to start puttering around in it soon I bet.
Golly Crystal, I loved that picture link so much a sent it to Joanna. She loves to look at Pictures of bugs, critters, and wildlife. I wish I could take pictures that great.
Amanda, you and the girls would of loved this place to cheer you up on a cold wintry day..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, love those pink flamingos and the bicycles! I have a pair of pink flamingos in the backyard buried under all the ice and snow.

It is raining here now and warming into the 40s today. That should eliminate most of the ice and snow. Of course, then flooding becomes the big concern. Thankfully, we're uphill so haven't had any problems with that.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.