CLOSED: Groundhogs and Daffodils Chat

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

whoa, i was lost and now I am found LOL

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Glad you found us.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Debra, I missed you and wondered where you were. Is your basement garden still going strong? I just finished a huge purge of old seeds, plants, bulbs, and such. I can actually walk through my kitchen now. lol. Seriously, I have a few things I want to plant once the weather warms ... although we've been having very warm weather. However, that's about to change with some cold temps coming.

I saved seeds of Purple Datura, Mirabilis 'Tea Time', Pink Dandelion, White Hyacinth Bean Vine, Lunaria, Ground Cherry and white-stemmed Pak Choi to plant when the cold weather subsides.

The back yard invasion yesterday. The robins are ready for spring too.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

WOW! You have robins already!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Yea! Robins!
Storytelling is one of my Olli classes.
Friday my cross were up. They used to bloom sometimes in December, so go figure. First daffodil today. These pics were all made today except the open crocus.

Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

more of pics today
These are Edgeworthia (Oriental Paper Bush) and some Helebores.

Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal

Very nice to see someone has blooms. They are very pretty!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have a number of daff clumps up but no blooms yet. I need to go out and walk the yard.

Ah ha! ... found some things. ;-)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Looks like spring has sprung!

Oh yes, Spring is there where you all are at ;) we have had robins since end of January for some odd reason. My bulbs keep poppng up outside and I just pile more leaves on them since we are NOT done with cold and snow yet.
I keep saying I am going to purge my seeds, but I keep adding to them, and my bulbs? They are all starting to pop up in the basement gardens. If I were home and not at work, I'd show you my basement, it is really beautiful , but worry about the week I am gone, Joe might not get down there like I want him too.. yet I know he will ... is that funny? I told him I was going to "tag" the things to watch for watering with big blue sponge tags.. LOL
Thought I'd get to see Emma yesterday , but that was cancelled as she "forgot" she had other plans ( her momma)
*sigh*

Hope you get your Emma fix before you leave on your trip. Are you making the trip by yourself?

Oh No, I'm bringing Joanna.. she has a "net" friend to meet down in Corpus Christi, and we are going to all be with her when they finally meet after 8 years of chatting, sending candy swaps, and cards to each other.
she is my youngest they said I could never have but did, and also the master baker in the house.
Last Pic is me, Joanna and my niece Alexandria who now lives in Texas, we will see her Friday night. She has grown up a lot since her Momma died.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You have a very good-looking family, Debra. An eight year history and those two are finally getting to meet. How much fun will that be!

I've been doing a big purge at my house. So many things have gone to Goodwill or into the garbage. I hardly recognize the place. I guess I'm more sentimental than I thought about getting rid of things that I inherited or that have been given to me over the years. They always say if you get rid of something, that's the very thing you will need. That must have really stuck in my brain. From now on I'm going to try to go by the rule of one thing in, one thing out. We'll see how long that lasts.

Speaking of which, I have a huge load for the garbage today. The can is overflowing ... not to mention the broken chair that's going too. It's a good thing the garbage collectors are so patient with me. Guess I'd better get a move on and drag everything to the curb before it gets too light. That way I can stay in my jammies. Ya'll have a fine day!

Does anyone recognize these seeds? They came off a vine and I cannot think of the name of it at the moment.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Are they morning glories?

Debra it has been about 8 years for me on DG, and I can't wait to see you next week.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

They do resemble morning glory seed pods. But I finally remembered -- it's 'Sweet Caroline Sweetheart Purple' Sweet Potato Vine. Sheesh, took me long enough to recall it. :-/

You two will have a good time. I've met a few DGers along the way. That's always fun.

I started sorting and tossing old seeds and plants week before last and that led to a big purge of other things in this house. I've taken at least 3 loads to Goodwill and my garbage is overflowing. Good thing it's trash pickup day. I do need to sort clothes and also clean out my 'Fibber McGee closet'. Everything I haven't found a place for has gone in that closet. Oh, it's really a sight.

Sounds like my closet, I keep telling hubby we need to dig it out and get rid of stuff.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Howdy! Like Deb, I finally found you too. :)

Thanks for the new thread, C_villle.

Um, Crystal - I am sorry for your loss(es). If you have need for link to round Robin thread let me know. We are wrapping up the "fall" Round Robin formerly led by deejay9 (Susie) of which I am now keeper of the seed. There has been interest expressed in a spring robin/second round so I will post that thread when the box gets back to me.

Kind of quiet here today so far, though I've had a few moments of !@$*()(*&^%!!!

You might recall last year this time having angst with my breakup and my partner of 13 years. So I'm still in the house (with my garden!) and have been here since Feb 2009. Now have 2 roommates and poorer than ever. Ha ha hah. but still working part time with two non-profits doing what I love. This morning discovered that the garbage disposal is broken (SCREAM!) and two days ago discovered that my washing machine was broken (AAAAAAAAACCKKK!!). It ain't no coincidence!!! The "new guy" moved in 2 weeks ago so I'm blaming it all on him.

On top of that (?!) had to have my car towed from Durham to Greensboro last night (thank goodness for AAA+ membership) because there's something funky wrong with the engine. Just had parts replaced on the radiator on Saturday so I'm wondering if THAT is a coincidence. Doubtful.

On a better note, I'm feeling better, headache is not present and sniffles are minimal. Finally overcoming my annual January cold.

Hope all's well on your collective end(s). :D

xo
A.

sweet potato vines are a member of the morning glory i batata just got to work talk later

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Right, the same genus.

Linda, if your closet it anything like mine it just about gives you the screamin' meanies when you look inside it.

The trash pickup just happened. Yay!!! They took it all without incident. What a relief. I've already started filling the can again. :( But i'm off to a good start. I still have a bunch of things in my car to drop off at Goodwill next time I'm out.

It's sunny and beautiful here but we're in for colder weather. Boo hiss.

I love purging, but when I want something I got rid of and start looing for it all over the place, I end up wishing I hadn't of purged that item, and end up finding other things to get rid of in one swoop. Boo Hiss on the cold weather, I bet ya tired of that stuff.
AMANDA *hugs*
Carol, sounds like a great selection of seeds to save.
Crystal, what a great thing to take a class in.. story telling.. Love that idea.
LK... really? wow, 8 years we been chattn LOL

I joined DG in 2008, so it has been 7 years.

well hay, we are just going to celebrate then. :)
went to dentist first thing since I woke up with a bad toothache on an old crown .. on the only side I can chew on infact, went to a brithday dinner and chewed chipmunk style, then was told that toot can't be saved, the root and tooth is dying , and that was after he drilled and got a look in there, then after two hours he packed it up and told me to think about what I want to do.. *sigh*
then went to work late late late, still waiting to see what they are going to do with me ( and my position and salary) was told by new GM that he didn't need me to do anything , well gee.
went to PT and she told me if I ever want to lift and hold my grandaughter that I should not lift pull push more than 10 lbs. well don't have to worry about the baby, i hardly ever see her unless I go into wichita to do that. did all her pt stuff which is stuff I already know how to do, then got back to work with 20 minutes left at work, came home, still chewing with my front teeth, decided to go down and de- leaf, trim, and debug the basement garden before I leave, I made up blue foam tags that say water me on sunday and wenesday please, and some that say do not water on red foam paper. Got everything re arranged and cleaned up with no lifting, well i did almost lift but it was ut oh, too heavy so I just dragged. most everything else is on rollers. Doing a bunch of cuttings and seed trays , hope they are still good when I get back, but it is not like I dont have any seeds or anything LOL. Have a ton of blooms about to happen down there, i rushed out early so I could get into the dentist without an appointment so didn't see this ams blooms.

here we go: joeswife signed up on Sep 21, 2008 ;D right when I decided to fall in love with a brugsmansia. go figger..

Goodness, I sure hope you get that tooth fixed before your trip!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm looking forward to seeing your basement blooms, Debra. Really love blooms this time of year.

Dental work is such a pain. No pun intended. I have a tooth that has been broken for awhile but it doesn't bother me unless I bite down on it hard. My dentist said he couldn't know for sure what to do with it until he cleaned out the old filling so he could see what's what. Crowns are sooo expensive. ;(

oh it was fixed enough to get my vacation in, it still hurts to bite down, paid 530.00 out of pocket after the crummy delta dental kicked in. *sigh* oh well. I'm not letting anything stop me from vacation :P

You drive safely, and I will see you next Thursday! :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I've had Delta Dental before and didn't much like it either. Of course what we have now isn't any better as far as dental. It's great on the medical end but not so much on the dental.

Still waiting to see those blooms. :-)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I see I am not the only one who looses this thread all the time. Looks like everyone has been pretty busy. Darn groundhog, seeing his shadow. We need some spring. It is going to be pretty snowy and really cold here now until next week. Day off today. We do not have enough patients eating for a full staff to work. Kinda glad I guess. Have a wonderful thursday all.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ronna, so glad you found us! We didn't mean to lose anyone. Who is that adorable baby in your avatar photo?

Glad you found us Ronna.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

getting a few spring things-
I thought I posted these before, but do not see them here. Maybe another thread. If you already saw, just close your eyes.heehee

Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Sun is shining but weatherman keeps making noises about watch out weekend and early next week. Yuk. Ready for more steady warmth.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Crystal, they in the middle of this thread. But always worth a second look. Luv hellebores and daffodils.

It isn't supposed to get above freezing here for awhile. Our weather this weekend will be cold with high temps around 24° on Sunday. Nighttime temps will be in the teens. It doesn't look like we'll make it above freezing today. I'm just not a cold-weather person. Too many years in CA, I guess. :-(

I'm with you, Carole, I miss California weather where it never got cold. ( in Oceanside)
girls I left for work early so I can get things "squared:" AWAY BEFORE i LEAVE. WILL POST ALL PICS OF BLOOMS THIS past week tonight. stoopid caps lock is in the wrong place on this puter. :P
Crystal, who is that adorable baby? AND>>> I have NEVER grown hellebores , and I want to know what the first plant is of in the first pic.

Debra, she said they are Edgeworthia (Oriental Paper Bush). I have never heard of it, but the Google images sure are pretty!

Crystal,,, you gave me some seeds to plant last year,, I planted them and now they are sprouting. But I have completely forgotten what they were.

I hear ya Elfie, I have several seeds planted I have no clue to what they are. ugh. here's a few blooms, last pic is what Joe is taking care of while I am gone. Well one view of one side in the large room anyway.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

But wait! There's more... LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.