CLOSED: Groundhogs and Daffodils Chat

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

This double peach hibiscus has had a bud to bloom on every branch I cut off for cuttings. I'm gonna keep making cuttings of this one since it was just a three inch cutting when I bought it from a DG'r 4 years ago who was selling them. Ten dollars, for a three cuttings about three inches tall.only this one made it. it is huge.
Crystal, do you remember this? Tell me what to do, please to get some blooms..
I had to cut back this gone wild Hoya, now what to do..
here is one of my cutting tubs using vermiculite..it has snow queen, trailing jade and seeds in it..
well the Sofa is loaded with stuff to pack up in 20 degree weather in the am, I have two boxes of plants I started, from cuttings. No Pics of that right now, going to bed. Thanks for all the great plants and seeds you all have sent me. You can see I enjoy them year round.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I fell asleep early and slept for three hours, then woke up wide awake. I hate it when I do that. :(

Bee-you-tee-ful blooms, Debra! We were in San Diego and Orange County for about 20 years. then in NorCal for 20 more years.

Nice Datura. I think I have some Datura seeds left after my seed purge. I hope they are still good so I can plant them when the weather warms. Don't know where since we will have the deck replaced as soon as the weather permits. I have a nice trellis all along the bottom of the deck but that will be torn out and replaced so hopefully there will still be time to plant Daturas along there.

Our weather has turned cold. :(

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

wow, great pics! Well I am off to bed, love ya all.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Very nice blooms ladies. Carol those birds are very pretty. What is the green clump? Is it some type of moss?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, LK. Yes, the green clump is Scotch Moss.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello all. Cville that adorable baby is my almost 6mos old granddaughter. Thanks she is a sweetie. Such a content little girl.

I am so jealous all you warmer states peeps getting some blooms and all. We are suppose to get some very unclimate weather between tonight friday and sunday some time. Below zero temps and wind chills. I am not looking forward to the yickie weather.

I can not wait to see my beautiful clumps of lenton roses. Love them they are so beautiful. They last for such a long time. I have a few creamy white and a dark burgandy. I would love a couple more colors but they are very pricey.
we hopefully are going to a concert saturday night. Its a Beatles tribute band called 1964. Looking forward to it.

Hey Ronna. She is so precious! I hope the weather holds out, so you can enjoy the concert!

Ronna, she is beautiful. I bet you have a wonderful time with her when you can. I have never grown lenton roses. I have been here all these years and still learn new things every day.
We are in Texas, Joanna and I outside Dallas. She started complaining of the hot sun at about 11 am LOL She is a Winter and Cold and Snow loving kinda girl. ugh.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Isn't that part of the fun of gardening! New discoveries are always just a plant or seed away.

Happy Valentine's Day! I think I'll make DH spaghetti.

Sometimes I wish I liked winter more. I've definitely lost the childhood wonder of it all. It's getting colder here and snow is likely tomorrow night and Monday. Other chances of snow off and on for the next few days with wind chills in the single-digits and a high of 23° tomorrow during the day. I could use some of that hot sun. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Glad to hear you are safely in Dallas. Enjoy your time with family.

Carol, what is in your hand? Looks like you are going to be busy with all those seeds.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I doubt that I'll plant many seeds. It's like eating - my eyes are bigger than my stomach.

Those are seeds of Fenestraria rhopalophylla aurantiaca. It looks like this in bloom:

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

WOW! That is pretty cool!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh it is so cols and extra strong winds. Been snowing almost all morning now. We did get out and cleaned out the driveway. Do not really know why.
Debra have a great time in Texas. Sounds so good to complain about the heat!!! Going to be months before that happens here. Lol

Does anyone do crochet work? I am looking for a small grey elephant.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Debra you can send Joanna up this way she will would be begging to be back in Texas. lol The wind is howling at 20-30 mph along with bursts of snow and 28* with temps dropping down to 7* tonight. BRRRRR! . It's the kind of evening best suited for sitting at home in front of the fire. Wish I had a real fire. lol Mine is only for looks, no heat. Stay warm and safe and have a Happy Valentine's Day!
Come on Spring!!! Only 34 days and counting!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Happy Valentine's Day everybody.

It is very windy here with the snow blowing all over and the temperature is now at 9.9 heading to 0 with a wind chill of -10 and I have to be at work tomorrow at 5:30.

Ronna, she is beautiful.

Kathy

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's 12° here and won't get above freezing today. Snow is in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Possibly 4-8 inches. This will be the first significant snow we've had in a number of years.

Kat, cold would be an understatement!

I was just watching P. Allen Smith on TV. He has gotten old - like the rest of us. But what beautiful gardens he has developed.

Sure wish I could send some of this Texas heat your way ladies. It is 61 at 6:30 in the morning. Supposed to reach 78 today.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Me too. I'm definitely not a fan of cold weather and snow.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Calling for anywhere from 4-8 inches of snow here by Tuesday morning and the highs will not be out of the teens. I am spending the night with mu youngest daughter , SIL, and grandson as she is having minor surgery tomorrow and has to be there early so hope that the roads are good for the trip home. I am just over this winter and ready for spring. Kathy

WE could get up to 12 inches of snow by Tuesday. I am not a fan either. All this snow and bitter cold temps just causes to many issues for us. We will have to break out the snow blower and shovels. We actually have a snow blower that we have never had to use. lol My DH traded for it a few years ago. this may be our big chance to see how it works! IF it works! lol Stay tuned for further details...

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

No snow here. But am hoping for rain, as we have not gotten that much this winter. My daffodils usually start up at the end of January and they are late this year, altho getting pretty now. I think it is because we've had less rain in the last 2/3 years.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It has been snowing here since last evening. I'd say there's around 2" now and they predict 3-7" more by this time tomorrow. And some very cold temps ahead. I put the car under the carport yesterday just in case. Glad I did. I also took the garbage can to the curb. Maybe it won't be buried by the time they pick up tomorrow.

One of the cats went out and came right back in. The other is just sitting on the desk looking out the window. She doesn't do snow. ;-)

Natick, MA

Your cats are not dummies! LOL
Stay warm.

It's sunny here, up to 6 degrees (from -2) and windchill of 30 below. BRRRR!
Think my dogs are getting cabin fever!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Come on Spring!!

Elfie is cold,, Elfie no like the cold!!!!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree with Elfie! It's still snowing. :-(

This message was edited Feb 16, 2015 1:23 PM

Carole you are on the other side of the same system we are getting slammed by. We are at 7 inches right now and still going strong. Traffic has come to a standstill practically. And the temps are around 12* with a -11* windchill. No fun here either. I am not going out on the road in this. I am working from home today. But I may have to go out and knock the snow off the roof of the greenhouse, not looking forward to that, at all. If Spring is near, you sure can't tell it . lol

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all the pretty pictures! Makes me think of Spring. :)

Speaking of which, 2015 Spring Round Robin Interest Thread is up:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1386836/

Image Courtesy:
http://www.artinnaturephotography.com/photo/american-robin-singing-in-spring/

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wise decision, Nanny. People around here can't drive in the snow even when there isn't a lot of it.

Where is that groundhog???

I think he has gone on vacation to someplace warmer. lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Probably trying to escape the lynch mob. :(

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

If he saw his shadow, as he did here, it scared him and he went back in for 6 more weeks. I saw a new hole he made under a brush pile this morning. I mean I saw it this AM, don't know when it was made.

lol Carole and Crystal

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Did you get more ice and snow, Annette? I think KY is under a state of emergency. The kids are loving the weather, but I've definitely lost the childhood wonder. I was just thinking about the times mom patiently bundled us up to to outside ... sledding, building a snowman. Yes, I've lost the wonder of it ALL.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

And now TN is under a weather state of emergency. We're headed down to single-digit temps. Boo hiss again.

Stay bundled up everyone.

We got a few more inches of snow on top of what we had making a grand total of 12+ inches. we didn't get much ice, because it all fell as snow, due to the extreme cold temps. Right now it is 1*, and expected go down to -13* Thursday night. They are predicting maybe as cold as -20* if conditions are right. I can imagine what kind of problems that could bring on. We are not really prepared for those extremes in temp. and this snow isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I am staying put until somebody clears my driveway...as soon as we find it, that is. lol My driveway is somewhere on this side of that line of trees.

Edited because I really shouldn't try to type before coffee :)

This message was edited Feb 17, 2015 9:10 AM

Thumbnail by Nanny23
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, in theory that's a beautiful scene. But 12+ inches. Yikes! Are you sure your driveway is under all that somewhere?

Looks like I forgot to take the top off that birdbath for the winter. Oh well, it was already cracked.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2015 8:54 AM

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good morning everyone! :)

NC declared a state of emergency yesterday after .25" of snow. Hee hee.

It turned to the "wintery mix" I have come to know and love here in the south. No power outage thankfully. The sun just came out, the birds (okay mostly annoying black bird types but still fun to watch if you don't discriminate) are having fun in the bird bath, and I am back in bed with my cup of JOE! :)

This morning using a wonderful MUG from one of this past year's mugleeees:

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.