CLOSED: Groundhogs and Daffodils Chat

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

looking toward low 60's today. A joyful turn of events. It is 38 now. Expecting rain by early afternoon.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Yippee!!! A ray of sunshine and warmth for you both.
Well, I found out the cyclamen Crystal sent me in a swap like cool temps, so they are now sitting outside for awhile in the sun while it is in the 50's. LK, pointed out they are like pansys, and are all in bloom on the river walk in Texas.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

As it turns out, I did have to go rescue the children and bring them back to Daycare, we all made it home safely, but I did have to pick them up again that afternoon and take them home from daycare. Hope we never have to deal with temperatures that low again. Of course My GBs thought it was great that I came to save them. lol We are up to 37* and Rain, but as Carole mentioned, flooding is a concern.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'll have to say I'm weary of looking out and seeing white everywhere. We've had a lot of melting but there is still a lot of ice and slush around. Messy. Now the forecast is for some freezing fog. :( It will be 36° today and thawing/flooding will continue. I took garbage to the curb yesterday and that was a bit like ice skating. They didn't pick up last week because of the ice so the garbage had to go out - at least to the curb. I can see that I'd never make it in the Northeast.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Be careful on that ice.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I hope I can remember this winter and not complain when the summer heat hits.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I never like winter. Summer heat is okay. It's the humidity I could do without.

Amen, Carole! I don't mind the snow so much, it's the Subzero temps that are the pits! Snow that sticks around for weeks is a major pain. We are all ready for a break by now.
Tomorrow is my oldest grandbaby's 6th birthday. He called me this morning to ask me if I knew what day it was tomorrow, I said "Monday?". He said "What else is it?" I said, "It's your birthday!" He then asked me if he was having a party tomorrow. He likes to get straight to the point. lol
My daughter is having a 'community' birthday party for all 3 kids because their birthdays are within a few weeks of each other. They are renting the Church Gym and having a Bounce House set up for the kids to play in. And it is 1 mile from my house, Yay! That makes it so much easier for me.
Kids parties are so expensive! They had Gabriel's last year at Chuckee Cheese and it cost a small fortune. The kid's had a blast, but geez, it was crazy! And then the 2 girls had theirs at a local gymnastics facility. We paid a fortune to rent it for 2 hours and then had to wait on the party before us, which cut into our time slot and then they rushed us out because there was a party scheduled after us.We had to supply everything from the cake to the cleanup. The kid's all had a great time, but it was rather nerve wracking We won't do that again!
I am a big fan of getting it over in one big boisterous event. lol

Smart thing to do, Annette and a lot of fun, too! Take lots of pictures!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Sounds like everyone is trying their best to think positive optimistic thoughts. Ha ha! Well, at least maybe we SHOULD even if we aren't.

Debra- I LOVE the pictures of that happy place and smiled the whole way thru them. Looks like a whimsical destination. What was the INSIDE like?!

Carole - hang in there girlie. ;)

Nanny - you are a saint for still being a full time caregiver. I think you should get a raise.

As for me, I've had mixed comments from the people in my life who have been (1) pissed off because I didn't accept a stray they'd offered me (2) told me they're worried because I don't know how much it will cost to keep a dog (when I've raised and lost 4 dogs and 6-8 cats or more and all the various critters in between) (3) just plain old party poopers.

I found something yesterday that brought joy into my life. I've been without a dog of my own (not counting the neighbor's dog who is mine when the guy is in the hospital) since Snoopy died in February 2014. So our county animal shelter posted his photo on Friday night and I was the first in line at the door on Saturday at noon when they opened the doors. Jealous, judgmental people, eat your frikkin hearts out. This is my new puppy:

The one with the ears - made me think of Batman. After careful consideration he's named after a famous old west character, William Barclay "Bat" Masterson.

Boxer/Lab mix. I'm smitten. And that's all I'm saying.
xo

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

I try to take pictures but I am usually helping coordinate the event so it is difficult to do both. I need to assign somebody as the "Official Birthday Party Picture Taker" lol Actually that isn't a bad idea!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nope, no positive weather thoughts this week. They're all frozen in my head. Check back when Spring has sprung.

Cute dogs. "They called him Bat, Bat Masterson."

One positive thing is that the mailman was able to make it to the deck with a swap package for me the other day. Love this whimsical snail birdhouse. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Amanda, I love your new furry friend! He is so cute! How old is he?

I love that snail birdhouse!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I do too, LK. Every time I look at him (or her), I can't help smiling.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Cute puppy.

Natick, MA

Amanda,
ADORABLE Puppy! ENjoy him...I know you will! I have 3 rescued shih tzus (yes, 3 a little much, but the last one came and he was just so endearing, I couldn't let him go!) Hubby and I went away for the weekend, left the dogs with my daughter at home, but we usually always take them when we go or we dont go. I sure did miss them! The rooms felt empty without them.

So what will you call him? Bat? Masterson? One of my shih tzus loves to put her head out the window when we are driving....my daughter laughs when her ears go flying int he wind, and yells "Bat Dog!" Your little guy looks like he has umpteen personality!!

love that new puppy and your birdhouse is amazing!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Is there a forum where you can get plants identified? This is a native shrub (native I guess.)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/

Go here.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Thanks so much LK. I knew there must be one. I got it identified, but will save this link as a favorite for the future.

They are pretty quick to get plants ID'd!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

So what is it?

OK, S-N-O-W is officially a four letter word! I am ready to permanently delete it from my vocabulary! Anyone else care to join me?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree, Nanny. Even though we haven't had any more snow and a lot of the ice has melted, the thawing and refreezing has made surfaces uneven and walking on them a real challenge. At least Walmart had removed the ice. Well, they had plowed and piled it up in piles all over the parking lot.

All day long, I have watched a squirrel or two searching the berm out back. I wonder if they are hunting for the nuts they buried several months ago?

Gotta go get ready for the KY Wildcats game. Starts in about 10 minutes.

Everyone have a good evening.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I agree about the snow, have seen all I want to this winter.

Got home and there was a little over 7 minutes left in the first half so will sit down and watch the 2nd half. Go Cats.

YAY Cats!!!

Our Shockers won, yippee.. 0 degrees temp in the am, I am so tired of the yo you thing going on here. Ice, freezing rain and $N@W due in tomorrow night. Glad I am not working this weekend.
The wind is keeping me awake. *sigh*

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't like wind either. We still have a lot of ice on the ground but no new ice. It will be cold the next few days and then hopefully warmer by the weekend. There are still a lot of power outages on the Cumberland Plateau and some folks over there haven't had power for a week. Ugh!

The Wildcats won fairly decisively last night. It's almost time for March Madness. Basketball madness and gardening madness. ;-)

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

The plant I was trying to name was Clethra alnifolia. Taken on a creek in Tallapoosa County several years ago

Thumbnail by goldhillal

That is beautiful!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I think there is a horticultural shrub that is in this genus also.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We know it as Summer Sweet. :)

oh my, someone sent me some seeds of that. I am going to google the zone hardiness. That might be another tree in a tub I would need to bring in.
I grew a lot of morning glorys last year.. One tub was called the tower of power, self watering tub with a large tomatoe cage attached.
there were three more kinds in there no room for pics, I am going to bed.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I think it's zones 3-9 so you should be able to grow Summer Sweet, Debra. Smells spicy sweet. Lovely!

Those are some beautiful morning glories.

It's 36° now but going to 48° with rain. I will be so happy to see the remainder of this ice all gone by tomorrow!

I want to get a couple of new house plants when I go to the store today. There will probably not be a wide selection here right now, but they usually have several different varieties. We'll see. I finally eliminated most of my indoor plants so I don't want to start acquiring many more.

Ya'll have a good day!

Love t hose morning glory blooms!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh man those morning glories are so beautiful.... the weather is getting some what better now. Monday was 29 but very sunny. Tuesday is rain rain rain and sleet. Even got a couple of inches of snow. So a mixed bag of weather so they say.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Sounds like your weather has improved, Ronna. Rain, sleet, and snow here today. Possibly 3-5 inches of new snow. We finally got rid of all the ice from the last storm and here we go again. :(

I did get a couple of new house plants yesterday. Just the usual suspects since there wasn't much of a selection - Epipremnum aureum, a green Sansevieria hahnii 'variegata'. Nothing blooming like the beautiful pictures above.

We watched the KY Wildcats win again last night. I don't like those late night games. It didn't end until just after 10 pm. lol. Looks like the Shockers are doing well too, Debra.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Even though I have oodles oy plants and have grown all the common houseplants as well an a lot of uncommon through the years, This time of year I succumb to the lure of houseplants. Those cute little ones in the 4 inch pots always look so cute. Right now I am lusting after that fuzzy purple thing that I can't think of the name of. Lots of times I have found a Rex begonia stuck in with more common houseplants.
Name some of your favorite houseplants, Everybody!

We are in for another round of ice and snow, too. And we just got rid of the last one, too. This is getting old.
Favorite houseplants: African Violets, Angel wing begonias, Amaryllis, Orchids, Christmas Cactus, anything that is hard to kill. lol Philodendron, all kinds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.