CLOSED: Groundhogs and Daffodils Chat

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Debra what kind of Lobelia have you got?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I do not think a pipevine will have any trouble coming back. Altho there are tropical pipevines. The A. frimbriata I have comes back.
Here are 2 Freesias, red one and purple
And a Rhipsalis ( Grandmother called them rice cactus)

Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Beautiful eye candy, Crystal. I hope my A, frimbriata comes back, i want to move it to the new arbor Joe is going to put up .. soon I hope. I wanted to dig today, but I was a good girl and just raked, and sat on a stool and cleaned out all the patio containers, swept the patio brought out my cactus for some sun, looked for some signs of lobelila, no show so far. ( Cardinalis)
One or two years in a row I had great blue and ruby slippers. The really hot summer of 2011 and 2012 fried it. I will be looking more, I try to keep it uncovered. I let it go to seed , too. I saw some blooming chickweed, cute little flowers, first sign of Spring after a Robin sighting. ( for me)
Joe broke down one of the rotting whiskey barrels, I knew it was going this year so I moved the Helenium "autumn lollipop" I see it popping up in other spots I divided it to, so happy. He moved the big round black pond tub ( now a bog tub) to where it would empty out to the other pond, small kidney shaped, it ended up leaking so it became a bog pond. The horse reed is up. It is off the north east corner of the patio ( Had fish, water Lilly and a water hyacinth in it)
Came home one day to 7 of my 12 fish half eaten on lunch break one day, it killed me, had to put frozen water bottles in it even with a pump, so after it started leaking, I gave up on ever having a pond. The big black tub was given to me, no leaks, but it ended up having one ..The little water fountain tub my son gave me ( whoskey barrel with a handle type thing) was great for rooting things and the sound of water running. it finally quit, and i cut the pump off, had Joe drill some holes in it, and turned it into a planter,/ I have two tall flat containers, one was the tub of a shredder, and another an old plastic trash can that the pop up lid broke on at work, so they threw in the dumpster. I am a true eclectic in gardening. This barrel is still in good shape, and it holds a lot of stuff. This is an April 2014 shot.second pic is an August shot of my patio.
I build green walls around my little square.. last pic is last years new canvas at this time.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

I love the freesias, Crystal. And that cactus is interesting, too. I have tried growing freesias in the past, they don't do very well here for me. I might try some in the greenhouse this Spring. I love their vibrant colors and the fragrance is wonderful.
Debra I like your "privacy fence" around your patio. You could put a pond liner in your tub that leaks and still use it as a pond. You could check with someone who installs ponds to see if they have a remnant cheap, or if they will sell it by the foot if you don't need a lot. Just a thought... One of my whiskey barrel liners ended up with a hole in the bottom because i dragged it over the threshold of the greenhouse. there is a 1" frame and it caught on the bottom. My own fault , I should have got some help, because it was too heavy for me. Anyway somebody told me to use pond liner to stop it from leaking. So I am going to give it a try.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Your freesias are very pretty. I grew them in CA but don't here. Since I'm a succulent fanatic, I do grow several rhipsalis.

I always had whisky half-barrels planted out West, but they have gotten so pricey - in spite of the fact that the JIm Beam Distillery is not too far up the road from us in KY. :)

Nice privacy screen, Debra. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Beautiful flowers and plants, Debra.
I have been growing these same freesias in pots for years and years, maybe as long as 15 years. I used to grow them in regular pots, but they always flop over, maybe a light issue in the winter. Then at Calloway Gardens one year I saw a giant hanging pot of them sprawling over the edge and hanging down and so started growing mine in pots. Much better, easier to deal with the falling over foliage. After bloom when they start to die down, I withhold all water and leave them till late fall when I start watering again. I keep an eye out for new growth and start to water if I see any, but this usually happens when they get an accidental splash of water. They multiply wonderfully also. The only thing is---no fragrance. Bummer. They never had any fragrance even at first as I remember. I wonder if it is one of those fragrances like tea olive that I just can't smell. I must ask someone else to take a whiff.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Beautiful set up, C'ville. I see you have these small greenhouse enclosures in shelter in the warmer months. How do you use this. Is it to increase humidity or what?

Carole, love the monarch way station. I see crape mrtyle, lavender and a few other familiar faces there.
Crystal, is your olfactory broke like mine is? Sorry if it is. I hate not being able to smell anymore
makes it harder to grow things, if you can't smell them..

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

I love the way station too!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks.

Crystal, I use the small greenhouses as shelving, zip or unzip them as necessary and roll them into the garage during cold weather.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Good use.I have often admired them, but never figured out how to use them in my climate.

I saw this on Pinterest and made one myself. It seems to me that many of the plant things on Pinterest are all about the photograph, as if the plants had been staged and were not expected to actually live and grow for any period of time. These are all succulents so I am hopeful they can survive and hopefully grow for some time at a slow rate.

Thumbnail by goldhillal

Well, I converted my little greenhouse into a seed starting greenhouse by adding light to it to create a warming/germinating mat under each shelf. The trays will sit on top of the lights.
I already had the greenhouse and the lights so I thought I would experiment. I will put the lights on a Photo timer (probably Dusk to Dawn) and see how well it works for things that like warm temps to sprout.

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23

Love the coffee pot terrarium!

Nice idea to use string lights. Let us know how it works!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ditto on the terrarium, Crystal :)

Good idea, Annette. The little greenhouses get plenty warm under our carport when the sun hits them so I would image your set-up would work well.

It's still raining here ... all night ... all day. There's one tiny area of ice remaining in the back corner on the north side of the snag tree.

My terrarium is an old fish bowl. I took everything out except the Haworthia.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

I will let you know how it works, as soon as I get time to plant seeds to try it out. I have a lot of things I would like to plant

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Me too, but I don't know how many I'll ever get planted in my lifetime. :)

So many seeds, so little time. lol

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

heehee so true

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello there all. We are finally getting some mich warmer and sunny weather. Lots of the snow is melting. Sianara is what I say. Lol. We do not live on the sunny side of the street so almost all there snow is gone. Seems funny to look in the front yard and then look at theres. It will be gone soon enough.
We are pretty busy at work latley. Ws are down three employees now. Gggrrr. But hopefully he will be hiring soon. Just wanted to say hi. I love the coffee pot terrairium. So adorable. Sounds like you all are making plans for the warmer weather and arranging the yard. Me also. Am getting very anxious too. I wanna see my hostas again!!! Heres a few pics of my little granddaughter. She is so sweet. I sure wish they did not live an hour away. She is sitting almost by herself. My daughter likes to take for rides in the sled. And Avery just loves it so much.?

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, my, what a charmer! You are very blessed, Ronna.

AWE! She is so precious!
She is growing too fast!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks ladies I agree with everythjng you said. Lol. Love her so much.

Ronna your little Avery is a doll baby!

I agree, Ronna, you are so blessed to be able to see her as often as you do.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Debra. I really loved seeing all you yard pics. Can not wait to take some new ones this year. Also look at new pic.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's raining here, but at least it's warmer - mid-60s for a high today.

I'm with you, Ronna. So looking forward to the spring blooms! The flowering quince buds are getting ready to pop and I'm sure there is honeysuckle in bloom out back. It has been so rainy here I haven't been out much. Once the sun comes out, things should really explode.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

I have crocus, and iris blooming. Lots of things are getting ready to bloom. Daffs and Hyacinths are up, it won't be very long til there is a pop of color in the yard. I am excited to be so close to warm weather! We have heavy rain here too. But it is 63*. So that is a step in the right direction.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Cute baby.
Everything is really leaping along into spring here. I am glad, but I have no sense and try to overdo outside.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

We still have quite a bit of snow in our yard.... nothing coming up yet. But can not wait to see my daffy and tulips and loads of crocuses. The other side of the street all there snow is gone. Looks funny.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That is funny, Ronna. Soon you'll have things in bloom too. It has really warmed here and is supposed to be 78° today!!

Debra, looks like the Shockers will play Indiana next (one of the CBS must-watch picks) and could potentially play the Kansas Jayhawks. That's something Bill Self has avoided so that would be quite a game if it happens.

Okay, back to plants, etc. The Haworthias are beginning to fill the terrarium. I bought a new Parlor Palm even though I said no more plants for now. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Love those parlor palms!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes I have a parlor palm also. Have had it for years now. Kind of a slow grower. But thats fine still love it.
Kind of a yuckie day at work today. Kinda grumpy. Do not know why. Weather is so sweet outside. Cleaned up pounds of bird feed from the winter. Uuuggghhhh. Love feeding the birds but the squirrels are so messy.

I'm with ya on the kind of grumpy day, here. Had a sweet lunch break with Rose, tho, we had Wendys"son of baconators" fries and strawberry tea. Now I am good to go here.. She is having a typical Monday where someone calls in sick and she doesn't get to leave for lunch. Glad to see her again, even tho she was just over yesterday. I love my daughter. ;D
I love the little bowl of Haworthias... I'm not any good with parlor palms, I have tried them three times.
Carole, if we get to play a Kansas team, we will have fulfilled a dream ..

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh yes I have two daughters that I love dearly. Such sweet young ladies. My son will be out of the Army prolly in three weeks. Then leaving for possible college in the Arizonia maybe. Happy for him to make this decision. Very proud of him.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, Bill Self has avoided that match-up for a long time. I'll root for your team if that happens, Debra. :)

It sounds like you have a lot to be proud of, Ronna.

It is so warm here. Just lovely weather now. If I can ever get all these appointments taken care of, I must get out in the yard more. We're going to have the deck replaced soon. Seems one thing always leads to another.

The daffodils are beginning to bloom. :)

Julie has the Easter swap open.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1388581/#top

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Go, Julie! :)

My Daffs aren't blooming just yet, but they are budding out. Things are beginning to come alive. I love Springtime! Mother Nature renews herself and everything becomes lush and green. Speaking of green, Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Anyone here Irish? I'm Scotch-Irish, German and probably a little Russian. Well, green is my favorite color. :)

Irish at heart, does that count?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.