CLOSED: Groundhogs and Daffodils Chat

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

No house plants here, no room for them. All my plants are outside pants. Roses, pride of barbado's, angel trumpets, mexican petunia's, morning glories, sunflowers and moon flower vine.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, I finally couldn't stand it and had to buy a few. Nothing special but at least they didn't cost a lot.

Crystal, are you talking about Purple Passion Plant or something else?

My favorites are:
Beaucarnea recurvata (Ponytail Palm)
Monstera
Haworthia limifolia
Hoya kentiana
Hoya kerrii
Jade
Echeverias
Euphorbia canariensis and other Euphorbias
Aloe polyphylla
Aloe vera
Huernia
Orbea
Silver Squill
Fenestraria (Baby Toes)
Hatiora
Begonia 'Escargot'
Billbergia nutans
Syngoniums
Sansevieria (the more unusual ones)
Pothos/Epipremnum
Philodendron 'Brasil' as well a most of the other Philos
Rhipsalis

lol. Bet I can't buy just one. :)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

whoa! everyone has different tastes. That is a good thing, cuz we'd all be bored looking at the same kinds of plants , right? well, not really, I like to see an african violet that someone else can grow well, while I just kill them.
I have been avoiding any plant stores, and certainly that is a different thing for me, but I have been making duplicates of all that I have for sharing, so that is my passion right now,. My SIL up in Buffalo has the most beautiful Begonia "escargot" I have ever seen, but I have a good knack for killing those things too.
I have given my pony tail palm, my philo "cobra" and my budda belly plant I started from seed away, so probably I'd want to try those again. I'd love to have a pitcher plant, but not willing to pay the $$$ for the ones up in Newton at the only store that gets them in.
I love EE's of all kinds, I am after a red brown one I saw, can't remember it's name, but HomeDepot has them last year, we will see. ALL the babies Joyce ( HapGarden) sent me are doing great. I do have a "Don Miller" Begonia someone went me from the tropical forum, it was just a tiny thing, it has grown over the past three years, does better if I ignore it. Well, it snowed a little bit ago, so the guys here at work are outside riding their "toys" around clearing off the paring areas. I managed to gather up the water in the rain barrells with Joe's help, from the last round of snow that melted off the roof.
I Have a silver squill, but I have no clue what to do with it. It is in a community pot right now.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

FOTV sent me my Silver Squill. I have it in a pot on the rolling plant shelves in the garage right now. I'll roll it outside when the weather warms. They do bloom - not a spectacular bloom, but a bloom. Easy to grow. I like the foliage.

me too, which is why I still have it. I love Haworthia , but don't have any. I saw one blooming last year at my daughters, so cute!

Would love to see a picture of the silver squill please?

lets see .. it is in there somewhere LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

In your photo, it's the plant on the left with the spotted leaves.

My new Saneiveria hahnii and Epipremnum aureum (Golden Pothos) below - both good for purifying indoor air.

At this time, we have several inches of new snow on the ground with sleet under that. A mess. We had just gotten rid of all the ice and snow from the last storm. Unfortunately, when they plow the street they will push the snow and ice into our yard and driveway again.

Winter, winter go away, come again another day. :/

This will be a good day to cook some soup beans and watch Blue Bloods reruns. How exciting. lol.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Oh how pretty. Thanks for all the pictures.

It is 30 degrees here in Texas. As it was turning cold last night, it was raining and now all the roads are slick with ice. I hope it melts before I have to leave in an hour to go to the pain clinic for my injection in my back.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks. This pic is better.

Be very careful on the roads, LK. Treacherous driving conditions.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

We sure have a mess here, today. Been snowing for 14 hrs non stop. We had sleet before that so there is 2" of ice under 15-16" of snow. I won't be going anywhere today.
What a difference a day makes lol
Last night at 6 pm. This morning at 9 am. (The same view out my front door.)
And it is still snowing! See the Candy canes in the front. They may be completely covered by this evening. If it ever stops snowing and the ground thaws enough,I might get those put up. lol

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I feel for you. Same thing happened here but not quite as much snow as you got. I was thoroughly disgusted since we just had it all finally melt from the last storm. :(

Somehow that shot of the candy canes doesn't put me in the Christmas spirit, Annette. It's more bah, humbug. ;)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Bah Humbug sums it up pretty well. lol

Okay you guys, I PROMISE the snow will melt .. ( can't promise when) .. the good news is, you will have good moist ground to play with! :D
We are still under average for moisture this year. I am saving every snow flake I can LOL
You guys can bucket it up and send it to me if ya want ..some guy is selling his snow on line, someone from a News Station bought some to see how it looked when it arrived, it was a water bottle half full of dirty water. Too bad we can't figure a way to pipe all melting snows in excess down to the states that need it. I'd rather pay for a water pipeline than an oil pipe line.
Off my soapbox now, sorry.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

People have always complained about the weather. Since I'm alone and have a sick DH to take care of, it always frightens me a little when we have bad weather and I can't get out of the house. Sorry to gripe. He also needs to get to doctors' appts. soon. Snow is fine, ice is NOT! We get around 55 inches of rain a year here so moisture usually isn't a gardening problem for me.

Wish I could send you some moisture, Debra. The piles of ice and snow that are left should all be melted tomorrow and Sunday when it's predicted to be 48°. 52° is predicted for Monday. Yay!!!

Haworthia liminifolia bloom. And a lovely sunrise. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

We are beginning to dig our way out from under the ice and snow, and it should be gone for the most part in a few days because of warming temps and Most welcome sunshine. Yes Carole it is scary when you can't get out in case of an emergency.Hopefully this stuff will be gone in time for you and DH to make appts.

me too, Carole. I always hope all of you are safe and sound. Annette certainly has shown her good heart by standing by her man.. a lot of folks don't do that. Just saying.
Sunny, windy and almost all snow is a memory here.
Love that cute little haworthia and that is a great shot of a beautiful start of the day. :D

Do you want to build a snowman? This snow was too dry to pack and build an upright snowman so they built a snowman lying down making a snow angel. lol

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23

Love those smiling faces.

Thanks LK!

Wonderful photos and you are Blessed to enjoy those moments. ;D Looks like they had a blast!

Thanks Debra! I am very blessed with 3 healthy, happy, & very BUSY grand babies. And they are growing up so fast, you have to grab every moment you can, while they are little. It doesn't seem all that long ago that their mother was building a snowman in her snowsuit. lol Does that mean I am getting old???

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Past week has been just too busy for some reason I can't define. So I was way behind on my plant question posts.
C'ville, yes, Purple Passion is what I was trying to think of.
We have been so lucky here not to have had any frozen precipitation. Hope this will be a bright day. Saving up sunshine to tide me through next week when more clouds and rain are predicted.
C'ville, I have a succulent that I think you sent me long ago. It was banana something and I have propagated it quite a few times (easy) but mine has NEVER looked as good as when you first sent it to me. The Banana leaves are not fat and close together like yours was. It has skinny little succulent leaves and they are an inch or more apart. Is it supposed to be in full sun. I have it in the greenhouse, but the only think I can think of that might cause it to look this way is not enough light. Does it need moderate moisture or to be very dry? I will try to get a pic of it to send you that may explain better than words.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Getting older along with the rest of us, Annette. ;-)

Crystal, is that String of Bananas? They do need some water and some shade. They shouldn't dry out.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2015 7:52 AM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's a photo of String of Bananas from PlantFiles:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/213088/

I had one of those,a string of pearls, and a string of hearts, too,all lived for about a year or two and then, I killed them. I'm horrible at succulents.

That is a pretty succulent. Unusual shape. I tend to like the unusual. lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Been there, done that, Debra. I've had the String of Hearts and String of Pearls too. I don't remember who sent them to me.

You are not alone there Debra, I seem to kill more succulents than I keep alive. Although I do have one 'Blue Fingers' that seems to be thriving. It must be very hardy. lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Succulents are one of my favorite types of plants. I've found the vines like String of Bananas, String of Pearls, etc. to be trickier for some reason. I really tend to over-water those.

'Blue Fingers' is very pretty. Only needs occasional watering. :)

That is probably what has saved it Lol It is in a window that gets sun most of the day, and even though there is a sheer curtain that diffuses the light it still gets pretty warm. So things tend to dry out in that window.

Anyone needing garden soil? Home Depot has it on sale, 3, 1 cubit foot bags for $10.00.

Sure, LK, send me a dozen bags LOL
Just kidding. Joe will be turning the bean patch over this weekend in preparation for his garden.
I am working today. it is so nice out, I wonder if I made a mistake in volunteering to work.
No, I did not, this new young team needs me bad when it is their turn to work. I am still able to train, good thing.
I am hoping it will stay this nice tomorrow, so I can walk the gardens and point out to Joe what needs done, that I can't do now.
Back top work, the "lull" is over..

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Here is a pic of that string of bananas. It looks bad. but glad to know others have had trouble with it. While I am here, this is my Clivia lily and also one that has made some seed.

Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal

Those look very beautiful to me, Crystal. Do you think the little pipevine I planted outside will come back>?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes I just kinda got into some houseplants a couple years ago. I bought a strawberry begonia at a green nouse. It was so small I did not even think it would survive but it really has grown leaps and bounds. Gets all the babies that habg down like a spider plant. I do have a couple of those too. Some plant I rescued from work. Poor thing. Doing so much better now. I have a small mother in law tongue. I have a really pretty prayer plant too. It needs some new potting soil. Gets pretty big in the summer then goes domant in the winter.
It has been so sunny here. So happy. It is melting alot of that one stuff... dripping everywhere.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Same here, Ronna. Lots of sun and lots of melting. It's a mushy mess but so much better than ice. Looks like some rain coming this week. All the white will soon be gone soon. Temps in the 50's and even 60 this week.

Pretty Clivia, Crystal. I used to grow them in CA. Boy do I miss those growing conditions. :)

Crystal, those are pretty.

Beautiful blooms Crystal! Not too much blooming around here at the moment. Even the houseplants seem to be on strike. lol I need to go do some cleaning in the greenhouse and prep for seed sowing.

I am so glad everyone is thawing out. I had Joe carry all my window water bottle planters out to the patio table along with my other winter sown seeds/plans for a few days. they are covered with clear plastic, so we will see. Going to work on compost pile and rake a few leaves off the areas that need no blankets on their crowns. I am hoping my lobelia and american bell flower comes back again. they don't like being covered up. All my shrubs have buds and My trees are budding I am so happy. Still wont be able to do bending heavy stuff, but I got me a bench to sit on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.