CLOSED: DJ9's Spring 2nd TIME AROUND LANDING & TAKE OFF

Woburn, MA(Zone 6b)

I will probably have a lot more saved heirloom seeds by fall. We'll see.

Saginaw, MI

Looks like I'm next in the flight path for the robin !!! Hope everyone has been finding lots of goodies in the robin. Don't know if I will be "taking" much this time as I am still dealing with trying to baby and coax my water-logged flowers to survive-- did receive a few "replacements" from Mike to help out with the loss which was greatly appreciated--they are doing well so far !! Well off to assist mom and then get an hour or so of sleep before off to the "grave yard shift " . Hope everyone is doing well.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Remember you have a bag of goodies form me!!! And seeds will be good next year too, soo don't worry!!!! Just enjoy them when you can. Kathy

Iris bed after weeding and things beginning to bloom now, just fabulous....lol

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Beautiful Kathy - wanna come weed mine now? ;)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Haha. I was thinking the same thing.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok Just checking to see if the robin is back in the air or not ???

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Kathy, your iris bed is sooooo spectacular! Didn't you just plant most of them last fall and winter? How are you getting so many blooms already?! Wow! I am casting a covetous eye on the two clumps right in front, white/blue-purple combos. Both are gorgeous, and they are also gorgeous together.

I have a bunch of seeds talking to me... Some from this winter, some from the 2nd time around. I'd like to try starting some of them this summer, hopefully getting big enough seedlings to plant before winter. When is the best time to start? I'm going to post this question on the germination thread too.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Can't think that I've ever summer sown seeds other than in the garden, seems like not much coming up yet tho...
Can't remember, did I plant them fall '11 or spring '12....lol. I do remember I only had a few blooms last season.

First pix before planting, 2nd is last year late in the season I think and3rd is full of weeds if I got the correctpix and 4 is in full bloom. Pix 5. I'm thinking I got plenty to do myself...lol. You all can come help me!!!! LOL!!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

This is the area I just planted last fall, no blooms yet, should be next spring......still weeding, and I keep watering them..lol. (It's just easier to pull them!!!!)

This message was edited Jun 11, 2013 11:09 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

But oh! You have a lot of ground to cover. :)

checking to see where the robin is ? is it in the air ??? Steph can you let me know Please .

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes ma'am - it hit the air Monday. I thought I send confirmation number to you, didnt I?

I Thought you did but i could not find it but thank you .

Saginaw, MI

Hello everyone, robin has landed this afternoon !!! Thank you Kathy -- got pkg. of seeds specifically from you !! Will mail robin out again tomorrow morning and send conf. # to you Susie !!!

ty shirley Lets Hope it don't get to GR Then go back to you again or Your Post Office :)

Saginaw, MI

lets not "jinx" ourselves - lol --- we certainly do not need a repeat of the last one that's for sure !!!! Thank you so much for getting this together for us Susie -- I certainly appreciate it !!!!!

YW Shirley will be turning over the reins to someone else Next fall . well if the Robin gets off the ground today it should land here By Saturday the 15 th & Looks as if PAM will win the QUESS . So quess i better get her surprise packed up :) well i have to get my Laundry done this morning ya all have a great day & Be safe .

Saginaw, MI

Susie, the final flight home has begun !!! If all goes according to plan, the robin should land on your doorstep on Saturday !! Sending you dmail with conf. # . Have a great day everyone !!

ty shirley

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Susie - thank you for another great Robin!! I always love getting it regardless if I take something or not.
Im tossing around with Amanda on taking over - will Dmail you to pick your brain about it :)

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Susie,
I want to thank you for making my first swap a great experience. Thanks also to everyone who participated and took the time out of their busy springs to make this a great swap!

Mike

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

THANKYOU SUSIE!!!!!!

Thank you all I Hope to have many NEW SEEDS To share with you No mater who takes over :) so nice outside great time to go pull a few weeds will maybe to tired to get back on when i come in & Get my shower so will be back in the morning for sure :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Augh! Looks like I will lose the door prize again. :o/

Yikes! Is it official??? Winnng? Meeee???? I never win anything!!!! What if it doesn't land on time?

Susie, I can't believe you're not going to run the robin any more... You've been so great to do it, I'm sure it's a lot of work, preparation and planning, making sure it all runs smoothly. I've enjoyed it so much these last two years, and have been looking forward to many more. So many, many thanks to you!

Saginaw, MI

Kathy, THANKS for the seeds you set aside for me in the robin -- greatly appreciate it !!

I Have always enjoyed sharing the seeds but time to give up the nest let someone else take over . I will Donate .
Nice cool outside so got to get out of here back later today

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

You are most welcome!!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Who knows their Yarrow?

Is that what this is?

Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi

Looks like a Poppy to me

Kathy I Would Not be sitting at a Dang computer with the fires that close Kiddo you better run or drive to safer ground my friend 10Miles would be to close for me there in your state . Come on over to mich i can put ya up awhile :)

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

It is in my friends yard...well, it was. She thought it was a weed. I told her to replant it and see what she gets.
Its got "spit" on it...like from bugs. Not sure if that gets both yarrow and poppies? Maybe that's how we tell the difference? I am a newbie to both of those so I dont know the answer.

Yah, Kathy...are't you kinda close to the fires?

Can someone ship me a salad from McAlister's Deli? Im dyin for one today :( Its been 4 years since I've been to McAlisters and for some reason, I really have a hankering today :)

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Here are a few of mine Kathy.
Number 4 is from last year. The rest from the last week.

Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yup susie, if it gets closer I'm outta here!! Right now the wind has changed, again, second time today...."Spose to change directions one more time... Last time will be straight out of the fire area. Actually the fire is still 15 miles away (ish), but evac area is closer at 6 ish miles, (just changed again from mandatory area to voluntary). They are saying the problem is the winds. If you go to that website I sent (and the fire map) can get overhead view of my home (you know the address). Is just north of the town of Elbert about 6 miles as the crow flies.....

Minn. not papaver (poppy), their leaves are hairy! Could be one of the larger Achileas (yarrow), Gold Plate or Parker's Gold, both top out at 4 ft. (see pix, just went out and got them, (my yarrow is Parker's, tried to get close up of leave but a bit windy out there at the moment). Go grab a leaf and crush and rub in your fingers, smell, should be herby. If you have one of the shorter varieties of yarrow do the same and compare as they both have the same fragrance....herby.

Pix 1 &2 are papaver orientalis, enlarge to see the hairs on the leaves...
pix 3&4 are Parker's Gold Yarrow
5. Think I need to retake this one..lol....breezy!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Susie...you aren't going to do the seed RR anymore???

Please be safe Kathy and anyone else close by

Connie

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

It may be illegal soon, to do any seed exchange without a special permit. I just read some news on Tomatoville.

Here is the link that they provided: http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlaw.html

Well, it is for the E.U., but if it flies there we will be next.

The other link did not work...

This message was edited Jun 14, 2013 9:48 PM

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Well, it is for the E.U., but if it flies there we will be next.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Then we will all have to get together and do a DG preservation seed bank . It will have to affiliate with all state rules on plant distribution , and likely federal also .
What say two day of CD disc information downloads of all 50 states and not to leave territories excluded a couple more , and auto disc CD from the fed G.
Then a few more days to check on seeds being shipped ? (to state regs)?

Never say die !!!, never accept freedom defeated !!! Were preparing for WAR!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

What about bulbs and roots? lol There has to humor in warfare .. ?

Yikes, Kathy! How is it going this morning?! I wasn't on line yesterday, just now catching up. That is waaaaaayyyyy too close for comfort!

Just heard the news sounds as they are getting a Handle on the fire so good to hear Now you can get those LILIES In the ground :) I Have much to get into the ground today before the rain , calling for scattered showers so not sure if we will get any but i do hope so .

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.