February 2013 - Spring is next month!!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Cool, I never woulda guessed that was a Black-Capped Chickadee! - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Large+Picture+Chickadee&FORM=RESTAB
I'm afraid that snow system is going East, puddin' pop!

Yes, thanks for the id, ju. That's what several evergreens looked like before I shook off the snow.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Your welcome, We have the Chickadees here also! Rarest little finch at our feeder that I have ever seen is a Sunburst thrush , Brightly colorated those are..
Yeah, the trees are not to impressed with all this weather, me, neither !!!

I can add Black-Capped Chickadees to the short list of song-birds that I recognize at our birdfeeders! Maybe I'll start a career as a birdwatcher! How do you get a job as a birdwatcher anyway?! Do you pretty much have to work for the National Audubon Society? I think that might rule out this area, I've never heard of the National Audubon Society being in Kansas City!
They sell magazines here by gawd, I will sue them on Judge Judy!

A Sunburst Thrush huh?! I'm always on the lookout for new birds, I'll watch for that one. You are obsessive or possessive? Possession is 9 tenths of the law, I think that camera is yours now!

Ok greenbrain, where'd you go? You started posting so you can't quit now!

I had an appointment to see my job coach (free service) but I called and canceled it because I am pretty sure my exhaust is gonna get messed up if I try to go anywhere in my car.
They plow the streets good but they always leave a pile right at the end of the driveway. They plow 2 or 3 times a day, to widen the path, so it's useless to try to shovel it clear. I spoke to my job coach and they were cancelling appointments today anyway because they are behind, because they've been closing. I drive a small car and my muffler and stuff gets tore up easily, it's happened before. My Diamond Jim days are over, I can't afford new exhaust, I hafta save my money for gas!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I managed to get out and explore today so I have pics I will upload later. Snow still falling though not as heavily as before.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Work, church, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, grocery shopping, taxes, etc ..., but not dealing with snow. (lol) I'm on & off real quick again and enjoy reading all your posts. Wait until next month when we'll hopefully all be busy planting! Woohoo!!!!!

Yeah, that's quite a bit of stuff there. I have probably a bit more spare time not having a job. Well, maybe you can post when you can.
It did snow a little bit today here too. It was funny, I happened to be looking out the window at the birds or something and all the snow on this power-line across the street fell off all at once and the line bounced way up! I was thinking, what just happened here, did the power-line just fall?!". But, it wasn't the line, it was ALL the snow on it, probably 100 feet at least. I was thinking, "how neat was that, I bet I was the only person that just saw that happen!". Planting? Oh yes, I have big plans too. This year I really want to have all my plants in the best planters, in the best soil, anything to help them grow and be really healthy and full. I don't want to have any more plants just "getting by" from just watering. I'm going to try to give plants the ideal lighting conditions, soil conditions and arrangements to give me a good reward. I have so many plants, I should be able to pull off some nice landscaping with all the plants and flowers I have. I have waited many years a lot of the time for this and that plant to get big. Many plants that started out tiny are finally decent sized, so I should put them on display! Many of them I dragged along with me over the years! Trying to find a place, in the Winter especially, for all my plants and houseplants hasn't always been easy!
Here is some squirrels on a big Pin Oak tree in the front yard. This one squirrel was inside the feeder! - Squirrels have removed the glass front on that feeder, it slides up and out of it, it's probably down on the ground somewhere below, I can't find it. The next photo shows that squirrel in there likely gobbling up the birdseed! - That other one appears to be eating on something itself!
Oh well, I am easily amused!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I've have the same problem with the squirrels removing the glass from my feeder.

Those crazy squirrels! I think the only sure way to keep them from running the birds off is always have enuff birdseed out there for the birds AND the squirrels. This one squirrel even tried to get on this one feeder that don't allow no squirrel heads, only bird beaks! It was funny, it clambered all over it trying to get something then fell about ten feet and ran off, with nothing!
That birdfeeder is called Cling-A-Wing by Duncraft, it's a round plastic ball with holes in it, no squirrel could get in it!
Let's see those photos, pepper!

Ok billyp, now where'd you go?

Some pictures!!

Pix 1: Looking at the old chicken house. I didn't do black and white. lol

Pix 2: Cedar tree looks depressed there!! lol. That kind of gives you an idea of how heavy the snow is. Alot of the snow is gone from the tree today but it's still bent over.

Pix 3: Holler on my road. That's our one lane bridge there. All the gravel roads are mostly one laners for now because there is more snow than they can push off. Kinda scary when you see another vehicle coming. You have to hope that the driveway you decide to turn into isn't there's. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23

Pix 1 is another gravel road near mine. Lots and lots of snow!! lol

Pixs 2 and 3 are also same road as pix 1 but farther down.

Pix 2 shows the weight of the snow on the trees. Pretty heavy!!

Pix 3 shows the long holler on the road. Very tall hills on either side block the sun so it takes a long time for snow and ice to melt in this stretch.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23

These were all taken on the same road. As you can see it is all open there. The spot where I was taking the pics was drifting over pretty bad and I came close several times to getting stuck. The rest of the road was fine just this huge open field area wasn't. lol.

Last pic taken on same road as last set. Going in other direction. See how high the piles are?

All in all I actually had a blast driving in this. That is fresh snow on the road there from another bout we had overnight yesterday. Then as I was taking the pics it was snowing again so we got another inch on top of all that. More snow coming tomorrow!!

One funny thing I have to mention. I am the only one who hasn't gotten stuck in the driveway from these 2 blizzards. My mom got stuck once during the last storm and she got stuck again this morning. My dad got stuck Tuesday after the storm when he came home. lol. I've done great so far!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23

Nice pictures, pepper, very scenic. I think you got more snow than we did here. They said Warrensburg, Mo. got nearly 2 feet or maybe they did get 2 feet of snow.
East and southeasterly from Kansas City got quite a dumping on of the snow. Wasn't there a couple camped out by that chicken house at a Roundup a few years ago?

Nope. You are thinking of a shed out at my grandma's. The chicken house is here at my place. They look similar though!!

We got a foot at least with the first storm and over a foot combined with the last storm and all the extra snow we've had since then. We sink down to our knees in it.

Here you can get an idea of how deep it is. This is the area below the bird feeders. The birdbath is less than a foot plus the blue bowl so you have about a foot high with those. The snow is higher than that.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23

I wish we had a picture of my dad or I standing in the snow. lol. I might be able to get pictures of people in the snow this weekend when I go sledding.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes nice to share the view , but I am happy, I am where I am . You all ca have those Kansas winds and winter storms .
Rain cold flurries usual weather here. Where or where has my little spring gone? , where or where can it be ?

Enjoy the sledding , take time to build a snowman ,and generally enjoy , But you can keep the snow ...lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I found something fun to do in the winter time. Plant a container fairy garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSfI7uck9h8

Aren't you precious, this is Missouri, dear! It's a common mistake, Kansas City does sound like Kansas but it's entirely in Missouri, KS. is only about 30 miles away though. The winds do howl pretty good at times, that's for sure, Missouri OR Kansas..lol

Worry not, Spring will be here soon juhur, it is Daylight Savings Time in 9 days then we Spring forward an hour!

A container fairy garden eh? I'm not entirely sure if a fairy garden would lend me much support in people's perception of me! That does look neat, I like how it's all done in a terra cotta pot, well, it's a little bigger round and not as deep. I have some pots like that, I might try that, thanks. Actually, a fairy garden kinda goes good with my personality! : )

I had a job interview today. I hate to sound negative on the place but it's I believe the 8th time I've applied there, probably a 9th time in 60 days.
Here am I about to leave for the interview. Yes, I had sunglasses and the sun isn't out but the snow makes a terrible glare! -

This squirrel is having a big time eating out of my birdfeeder. -

We need a March thread, any do'ers? It's funny, we never do it on the first! : )

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Enjoying our light dusting of snow and avoiding Pepper's driveway.

Will, what are you doing outside hanging upside down on a feeder? And that squirrel in the mirror looks human? Just kidding! lol You looked very nice for your interview. Seriously, I hope something happens for you soon. I truly admire your persistence.

Did I say that my tomato seeds sprouted the other day? Hope to see you all soon on the March thread?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

March thread is here;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300684/#axzz2MLf7u7AX

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.