February 2013 - Spring is next month!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

You can keep your cold. I already had mine and don't want it again. lol

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I went to my stepmom's mom's memorial service this afternoon at their 7th Day Adventist church in Gladstone, MO. I'm not crazy about wearing a suit and tie but my stepmom is a nice lady and her Mom was too, I wanted to be respectful and all. My stepmom isn't technically my stepmom anymore since my Dad passed away but we stay in touch, she was married to my Dad for nearly 30 years.

It got warm today, I think 55° or so!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey pepper , my meaning was I did not want it to begin with either , I know for sure nobody else does.....

to last post a mail...
25 and cold here ,has been all day ... Maybe we get that warmth tomorrow ../?

Ju, I should have done a smiley with tounge stuck out. That joke fell a tad flat. Oh well. Happens all the time on here. lol.

Here is another pic of my witch hazel. This is the one my dad accidently cut down with the weedeater. Still alive though!! I saw some green the other day.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Did I mention that my tulips have been up for about a week now and the cotoneaster is leafing out?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

We will be waiting for the pics of the tulips , oh yeah,, blooms at long last ..!!!!

I like the idea of the smiley with tongue sticking out, have not seen that in a while..

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I believe that an uploaded photo of pepper with her tongue sticking out would be more interesting! lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Showing my true colors, and they're not "green". LOL

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Oh WOW! Here's something to help chase away the winter blahs.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1264641/

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Indeed , How nice is THAT !!!!! MAKES you feel all Rosy and warm !!doesn't it?
It is 55 degrees here today It will be back to 14 degrees in the next 30 hrs, or so , and the ground is frozen solid still today.
Daylily have their spikes showing green (goodness something is green!!!!) I think the bulbs have all rotted away, Oh well
The lavender looks good but silver gray is always frosty looking , nice in summer , only makes one feel colder in winter .. lol
ODE TO February , lamenting towards spring ...

Wow, that's all you can say is Wow! I was looking at tex68's photos and they really are astonishing, the amount of care, just watering must be crazy! But boy, if you have flowers like that I'd water too, how rewarding it must be. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9165832&extraimg=0 That's a pic of some roses he/she has, it is just incredible, that's just one photo, all the flowers must be like paradise! I didn't read in depth on he/she but I hope they get in contests of some sort like landscaping or just roses, they are definitely having success growing, that in itself can be difficult if the conditions aren't just right and stuff, which they obviously are at he/she's house.

Sure, let's see that photo of pepper's tongue sticking out, and tired/greenbrain's pic's of tulips!

Well, the Home Depot didn't call and offer me employment yet. The interview went good but the interviewer had a booger in his nose, do I tell him he has a bat in the cave or do I describe myself?! Of course, I didn't tell him, I described myself, I want a job, and I didn't look at his nose or laugh or anything. Geez, I hope he isn't a member here! Oh well, he don't know who I am anyway! I haven't felt too good today, I got a whopping 1 hour of sleep lastnight, sometimes I just toss and turn all night. It's better than yelling in my sleep which I do pretty regularly but only about once every 2 or 3 months. My roommate sleeps across the hall and she doesn't get mad or anything when I yell, she just says, "Will, wake up, you're having a nightmare again"!
And I wake right up, I'm a pretty light sleeper.

I would call and check and see if you will get the job tomorrow. Then you will know.

You guys will have to dig for that pic. Have no idea where it's buried at in here. lol

Ok, I'll do that tomorrow. I wonder if I should get all nuts and ask why, if it's not good that is!
What if he says, "because you didn't tell me about the booger in my nose!"!
It wasn't even a bad booger, you know a big one on the end of the nose and everything. He just says, "so tell me about yourself" and then he sits all back and cocks his head up so I can see in his nose! I was thinking, "oh gawd, this is too much, I might throw up right here!"!

On a good note, I did get a chance to somewhat make a case for working in lawn and garden, I told him "I have 37 freaking houseplants", well, I left out the word freaking, but he seemed a little impressed by that I think! He questioned me a little about all my plants.

Sometimes you have to be aggressive with staying in touch with bosses. Others you don't. Sounds like this one's gonna require some prodding.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a lot of work to me . Poke. poke... ^_^

Yeah, I'll try to stay in touch, maybe they'll give me a job if I call pretty regularly. Just kidding, I don't really plan to annoy them so much that they give me a job! lol I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Oh, I bet it is a lot of work, it's either that or, "do you want fries with that?", not to make light of fast-food, it can pay pretty well in a short amount of time!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't have the energy or stamina for that , the quick food , a few hours of cleaning about it for me ..

Hope you all are ready for the massive storm!! I'm loading blocks in truck tomorrow and covering windows and mirrors. Hubs will be locked in also. Happ could see over 20 inches of snow I saw.

Will, you watching the fire? http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/Watch-Live-on-KMBC-Huge-fire-burns-near-Country-Club-Plaza/-/11664182/18991354/-/tjq2i6z/-/index.html

A lot of snow huh? Bring it on I say! Wow, 20", hope she's ready for all that! I heard about that on the radio a while ago, a car hit a gas line or something and it started a big fire and explosion and has already destroyed at least one business called JJ's Grill and Bar or something like that. I was coming home from an appointment with my job coach at Community Services when I heard that, I told her about my Home Depot interviewer's booger and she about died!

They don't know what started it yet. There was a huge explosion and there are numerous injuries. At one point you could see the smoke from your place probably. The place is right next to the West Edge development.

Just heard that it was a car after all. First I heard on there.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yep Dec 21 and a gas explosion !! IT's the end of the world as we know it !!
Really only freaking ,,, that is a bad fire , Imagine having a barbeque steak and getting blown out the window !!!
sympathy to those that became a gas grilled steak ... ouch ...
OKAY if I was there I would be a smoked ham ,NOT funny at all I know. Infrastructure difficulties are big big concern in that area ,I here there are overpasses you can see through near K.C. Some one or one's are going to be cold because of that, did you see the size of that gas main , a large one , serving a large area ,, way it looks...

This message was edited Feb 19, 2013 9:44 PM
It is on CNN Anderson Cooper now

This message was edited Feb 19, 2013 9:56 PM

It is on all the local tv channels, it is a pretty big story. Several people are hurt, I think 3 critically. That will stink if it affects peoples' heat, tonite and for a few nites ahead, it is gonna be real cold. It won't be Canada or Alaska cold or somewhere but cold enuff to freeze your stuff off quick! If it was daytime, I probably coulda seen that if it was black smoke which it probably is, I've seen big fires in Kansas City before. If I saw it then I'd be like, "what the heck, that is HUGE!"! I remember one time when I was about 14 a laundromat down the street blew up from natural gas, (it was the middle of the nite, nobody was hurt). But, I was curious, the next day I jumped down in the rubble and a nail went thru my foot! But I remember it really rattled the windows, it was only about 2 blocks from my house.

Hey ju, in "my info">"manage your preferences" what is your timezone on? It says your post was edited in the future like 2 hours! lol Are you Central Standard Time too?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My time is currently 9; 51 by clock and computer . Silly isn't it ?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Daylight savings time till spring I believe..

Hehe, yes pretty silly, just wondering. : )

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I tried to adjust it on my preferences ,it does not seem to make any difference , I am still at a loss..
There is no daylight savings time so I try eastern or central daylight , who knows?

No big thing! Don't worry about it! : )

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm glad Will that you mentioned the time thing, I was also confused. Thanks for explaining juhur7.

Ju, it should be on central standard time. Try it and see if it works. Then it will change to central daylight time I think it is when we switch back to that. If it doesn't work then oh well, you tried. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

3°/21°/10°
Today...Sunny. High in the lower 20s. North wind 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill readings to 15 below in the morning.
Tonight...Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Low around 10. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill readings to 5 below.

Green,
Last year I finally had a chance to smell ornamental pear blossoms. YUCK! They really stink!! Laughing, I'd cheer too! Hopefully they won't replant in the same spot.
Emphysemia, that's sad. I am so glad I quit smoking before I got into any trouble like that. An inlaw quit after she started to develop it. It's not a nice disease. May his breathing get better.
She will indeed love to be outside playing! So will the bunnies, LOL!

Will,
If you don't get the job, something else will show up. I sure wish you could get into some area with plants. Even Walmart has houseplants in it's Gardening area. You would be good there :o)
Hot and dry tried to do in my garden too. We watered, but it's not the same as a rain.
That is so sad. I can't imagine not being able to breath :o(
(Agreed, we have a good group here)

Our soup supper was good! I had the best, tallest baking powder biscuit I've ever had! Made by an extremely shy woman in town. I was glad I asked so she could know they were appreciated.

Ju,
Laaughing, as if the garage would ever stay warm! I have many more magazines that could go out there tho.
I'll go one more. Remember the Natl' Lampoon magazines? We have a bunch of those too. It's our old age reading material!

Will, anyone can graft apple trees. The trick is to get those that pollunate at the same time or there will be no fruit. I tried two trees before I read that most sdon't survive. Nope, they don't. Grafts die off and the tree just isn't very prolific. My first 5/1 was both delicious brands, I forget what else, grafted onto a Northwest Greening tree. The second I tried had Lodi, Harlason and I forget the rest, LOL!

Pepper,
Be glad for that busy. I think you'll adjust.
Grinning over joining the garden club.
Witch Hazel!

Look out Pepper's Dad. She has coupons!!

Will,
I'm sorry about your Stepmom. I hope she had an easy passing.
Pepper is right. You have to be agressive and prove you want the job. The slacker they ''might'' have hired will get passed over. Just call, see if the job is filled. Thank them, hang up, then call the next day and repeat. Simple. You're just checking in.

Pepper,
Gas explosions scare me. They are just awful. So sad for anyone caught in one.

Yesterday, DD called. She really needed groceries and it was pretty cold to take the kids out, so, we went out so she could go. DH caulked and stuffed more cracks all over the house. I swear it was warmer even tho the wind was blowing pretty good. I caught her dishes up, and laundry up some :o)

Today, I sort the home canned food and get it all in one place.

We also have a storm coming on Thursday. I can't wait, LOL!!

Stay warm everyone!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The Bradford pear trees fell just before a nice lady moved into the house next door. She doesn't want any trees or bushes to maintain -- just lawn. That works for me and we get along very well. : )

Yeah, they said at Home Depot today that they are still interviewing but that I was really interested, so prayers and crossed fingers might be in order! Wouldn't that be funny if I snuck up on pepper at work and said, "so, what are we doing today?!" We've met a few times, so I couldn't let her see me, she knows what I look like!

Boy, there was a nasty fire in Kansas City yesterday, it has killed one person and injured twelve.

Oh, it was my stepmom's mom that passed, she was 92, my stepmom is only in her 60's. It was a nice memorial service at their Seventh Day Adventist church.

Hehe.. That "slacker" opening I did was just a joke, I would never say that in a real interview or try to give the impression that I slack on the job. Maybe years ago, when I was more immature I would slack on a job, but not anymore. In retrospect though, I would be more serious about what I want to do from the beginning, even though I went on to say other stuff, I should always try to be serious everywhere about employment. A lot of those employees at Community Services are volunteers and they take helping people seriously. Like they say, laughter is good medicine, but I don't want to give people the impression that I'm always a clown!

There is a big storm coming here too, we begrudgingly gassed up 2 vehicles and went grocery shopping today maybe 7 inches of the white stuff, give or take several inches.

How about 2 of our cats taking turns getting in a new box! That's Rudy in the box and Grubworm waiting to get in it, on top of the box! -

I had the camera out so I got a photo of the tv and our big news story, unfortunately for some. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I won't have to worry about driving tomorrow. I called my boss and she said to stay home. My mom will use my truck most likely tomorrow or my dad will take her in with my truck. I just went out in the dark and put some blocks and another tire back there. Really hard to do that with a flashlight under your arm!! lol. I had to get my dad to help me with the last 2 blocks. Couldn't see the area if I left flashlight on truck and the blocks are a bit more heavier than normal concrete blocks so no easy feat carrying them about 20 feet. lol. The tire was worse. It has ice on one side inside it and it kept getting away from me rolling up the hill. My dad just shook his head at me and threw the tire in the back.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

WINTER STORM WARNING

...WINTER STORM TO ARRIVE LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND THURSDAY
NIGHT...

16°/25°/25°
Thursday...Partly sunny. A 20 percent chance of light snow in the afternoon. High in the mid 20s. East wind 10 to 20 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph in the afternoon. Wind chill readings to 5 below in the morning.
Thursday Night...Not as cold. Snow. Snow accumulation around 5 inches. Near steady temperature in the mid 20s. East wind 10 to 20 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph in the evening. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Green,
Those are the best neighbors to get along with.

Will,
Yep, that made me laugh! Pepper might give a little scream tho.
I hope they give you a chance.
I saw the fire on the news yesterday. It's amazing that everyone didn't die. Explosions are so scary.
Oops, got it. It's nice that you went and honored her Mom.
You also don't want to be too nice and end up doing other people's work either :o)
I love it when cats love boxes, LOL! It so funny to watch them play.

Pepper,
I am ROTFL over the tire rolling down the hill!! I can just see it, and I can hear you as you go after it :o)
At least the truck has some weight now. I'm glad you get to stay home from work too.

Groceries early today, then hunkering down to see if we really get 6+ inches of snow.....

Around 9 inches here so far.

Boy, is it and has it ever came down! Yeah, it's probably more than 9 inches here now, it's still snowing. It'd be hard to be sure of the amount by just doing the ruler thing and sticking it in the snow here, because it is gusting hard all the time. I went out there when I got up and got some birdfeeders going. We couldn't take the sight of the birds going to a feeder that I put seed in a couple of days ago but now it's covered up with snow! I put 2 covered feeders out there and hung them on a hook on the eave where a plant hangs when it's warmer. This is the feeder out in the yard, with birdseed in it now. - Here is the one on the tree with seed in it now and here is 2 of our 3 vehicles in the driveway. I pull mine in the driveway when it snows so the snowplow gets that spot, and I don't want my car buried! lol The snow was so high when I went out the first time it was going in my socks so I got my cat puked on galoshes out which work better in the deep snow! I see now that it appears to have stopped snowing or really lightened up on it, from my computer chair.

Me doing other people's work?! I don't know about that, I've never really been one to do that. I'm nice but I don't know if I'm that nice! I don't want to get that started and be known as a pushover! lol Yesterday, the lady said there's still 24 positions still open, she just said she'd put me down as still interested. Who knows, I could be wearing an orange apron yet! I was talking to a lady in lawn and garden there last year, where I recently applied and she was filling up her car with plants then to take to another Home Depot further East, because they were low or something like that, and she said she might transfer to it. She probably did transfer to it, I haven't seen her since at this one, nice lady though. There is several Home Depots around here.
I wouldn't startle Pepper like that! lol

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Remembering last month and ,,January covered in snow , Looks like you all finally got it!!!!
My last month is your this month
Location are kinda odd about that though..

Yes, your snowstorm finally made it here! Boy, the birds are liking the birdseed now! Look at all the birds out there now?! Even a fat Robin got in on the birdseed, now there's an early Robin! It looks like a chicken it's so fat! -
Here is a Red Bellied Woodpecker. - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=red+headed+woodpecker+species+missouri+red+bellied+&stid=82bf8ab1-5a4f-16a6-6710-8e9c5b9a5cde&imgurl=http%3a%2f%2fupload.wikimedia.org%2fwikipedia%2fcommons%2fthumb%2f1%2f12%2fRed-bellied_Woodpecker-27527.jpg%2f220px-Red-bellied_Woodpecker-27527.jpg&FORM=SNAPST#view=detail&id=866E56C50C4E4099739C7AE19C80BFC4EF73ACF2&selectedIndex=22
This Cardinal looks like it's guarding the feeder! -

I made a 2 minute videoclip of the birds on Youtube if anybody wishes to see it. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO1VJNRy0po&feature=youtu.be
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.