February 2013 - Spring is next month!!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Here is some Daffodils that are poking up when the temperature is a cool 20 degrees usually now!
I see I said "and Fall leaves are here!" in Nov. 2012, well, the Fall leaves are still here! lol

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 8:46 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks Will!! I need to take some pics now that stuff is starting to pop up.

Sure, I took the pic of the Daffs today!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That is relaxing ,the hope of spring ,, Old mother nature is being a witch hag here !!! looks like frozen tundra ,, the winds howling , and tonight and tomorrow a snowstorm has arrived ,,here we go again , shoveling it ,pushing it., cussing it , swearing at it... well we do....
Yeah and a whole 12 degrees with a wind that feels like 30 mph ,, makes that about -15 or -20 wind chill ... Grrrrrrr,
GRRRROWLLLL...!!!!!

Look at the snow as Mother Nature's way with helping ease the drought. lol.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

grrrrrrrr grrrrrrrrr Grrrooowwwllll!!!!!^_^

AW for; the ode to summer!!

Thumbnail by juhur7

Yeah, I look forward to Spring too. We've been down pretty low in temperature but not for long, the temp. is usually in the twenties lately. Right now it says we are 26°. The 7 day forecast looks typical and average for this time of year, minus the snow! - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast . The 7 day forecast always changes though, tomorrow it could be 10 degrees and icy! I believe so far the lowest it has been down to is ten degrees. I always hope my car doesn't break down anywhere and need shade tree mechanicking in the Winter, that is terrible in the Winter believe you me! There isn't much worse than getting underneath a broke-down car and your shirt and coat riding up so your back skin is on the pavement when it's 10° or 20° outside and maybe snowing, with a cold wind chill no doubt! Okay, there's alot worse, but that's pretty bad weather-wise! When you don't have much money you need a reliable car, that's why I drive a Toyota Corolla! lol

That's why I drive a truck!! LOL. Truck needs some work but so far it's still reliable and holding it's own. Not liking the cold and it makes sure I know it too. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

TtHERE IS 2012 CRUISE , sitting in the drive , it could be a Maserati or Porsche and it would still be cold !!!! too cold !!!! I forgot to add I have changed more old clunkers starters and alternators at 10 degree than I care to remember , especially the part about pinching a finger or cracking a hand into that ice cold metal ,,,, Grrrrrrrr!!!!! still

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 11:49 PM

Haha! I've had trucks before too, they were usually reliable. My last truck was similar in make, model and even year to yours, pepper, it was always reliable that I recall except I had 2 blow-outs but any car can have blow-outs I think. Mine was a manual though, that gives a vehicle an advantage right there, the transmission will never go out, at least not in my experiences!
I got burned when I bought that last truck because it used oil like crazy, it would use it all in about 3 weeks. It was funny, I ran into the guy that sold it to me about a week after I bought it and I had already found out about the oil problem. He asks, "how's the truck running, it's a great work truck isn't it?". Actually, he probably got burned also, I don't know. He was with his wife then, I just said, "oh, it's great, I found out it uses all the oil up in about 3 weeks", you coulda heard a pin drop! At the time, (2008), I had just left a job where I worked with people that was also friends with his wife. She probably told him, "I can't believe you burned that guy, now he's going to tell everybody at work that my husband burned him"!
Oh well, why dwell on the past?!

It's not Cruise, it's Cruze! Haha! Leave it up to Chevy to spell a car Cruze! If I had to choose between the 2 I'd probably be a Ford person. There are both big GM and Ford plants
in Kansas City. But it's funny I heard if you drive thru the parking lot of those plants, employees have all different makes of cars themselves.

Hehe! I don't think a Maserati or a Porsche could even get out of the driveway with an inch of snow on the ground!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nothing in the world like an old Ford pickup , great little item ,
Sure would be fun trying t get one of those sports cars out of driveway in the snow , all 12 to 16 gears of them babies !!!
Could you imagine down gearing to slow down on the ice ? weeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Yeah, old Ford pickups are great, I had a 1970 one for 12 years and it was sweet with a capital S! Here it was back in the day, that's not baby blue, that's Sapphire Blue! lol

Oh, not to mention those sports cars only have about a half inch of rubber on the tires! I don't down-shift myself, I put it in neutral and coast like there's no tomorrow, saves gas!
My friend here says that's not safe but I can put it in the right gear fast and go if I have to!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

shortleaf, we could swap car parts. Our family car is a 1999 Chevy Prism. We bought it back in 2001. It has been a great little car.

Well, it's 30 F now at 5 AM, so warmer weather is on it's way juhur7. I guess that I'll get ready to run out & grocery shop now to beat the crowd. I was suppose to go Thursday, but it was just too cold!

I noticed that the daffodils were up last weekend while I was picking up doggy poo. I also noticed that the lamb's ear has stayed green all winter & that my Giant Winter Spinach is still growing. I have lots of garlic & shallots growing in the garden too. The kale also wintered over & the lavendar is still growing. My compost pile was frozen for the 1st time this winter, so I couldn't turn it when I added the bunny poo, coffee grounds, tea bags, & egg shells. I just added more leaves to cover the evidence since Madison has a no composting ordinance. (bootleg compost - lol!)

My favorite truck was my dad's red International that he owed back in the 60s. It was a 1950s model with a manual hand choke. We went fishing back when it was ok to haul your tackle with your kids in the back. Dad ran an add in the local paper for a while & did trash hauling. He also cleaned out ashpits & made quite a bit of extra cash with that truck. I loved going with him because people would through out some good stuff! Anyway, I have very warm memories of my dad and his beloved pickup.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Snowing now ,again tomorrow? going grocery shopping later today also ..
First car I saw in my grandparents garage was a model A ford that had not been driven in years ..lol

Yes, we could swap parts but my Corolla is a 1994, I don't think they had the Prism then. That's like my sister drove a Chevy Aveo, I said, "you know that's a Daiwoo" or it was some import little car, (being the smartbutt that I am). She rolled that car about 2 months ago, she wasn't hurt, she slid off into a ditch to avoid a deer she says. And then when she was in the ditch from a stop it slowly rolled over. And me, being the brotherly hero that I am, had given her (years ago) one of those emergency hammers to break a window and/or cut a seatbelt off (it was an all-in-one tool). She said when she was upside down everything rolled to the roof (which was on the bottom then) and there was the emergency hammer! But she didn't need it because she got right out with the help of some passers-by. The car was even still running and everything upside down, but the insurance co. totaled it for 7 grand, (it was all dented up from the roll), it was nearly paid for. It's funny, she got a Ford Explorer after that, (which is quite a large gas-guzzling SUV) lol. But, it kinda shows the importance of having something like that hammer handy.
People think, "oh, I'm never going to drive off a bridge into the water and need to break a window to get out", actually, one could get in a car wreck and the car could theoretically be upside down and be on fire!
Yeah, a good truck is handy for so much stuff, unfortunately, helping people move and haul stuff for them all the time is one of them!
A model A does go back a ways, like the 20's or something!
I just got back from accompanying my earlybird roommate to the store, I must go back to bed now.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Ah Saturday and nice warm bed under blankets .. zzzzzzzz snooze

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

shortleaf, you're close enough. I "googled it" & the name is Daewoo. That is a cute little car. My husband barely missed hitting a deer just to have another one run into the side of the car. That day, for some reason, he decided to use "my" car; instead of his. I was without my car all through the holiday season that year.

I just returned from the grocery store about an hour ago too. It too a while to carry everything in & put it away. I'm beat too!

What a great photo op to pose in a model A Ford! My great-grandparents and grandparents had really old cars & trucks on their Tennessee farm back in the 60s. My uncles drove them all around the pasture before they were licensed to drive. I still remember riding into town with my Uncle Harvey to pick up feed. It was a bouncy ride on the hilly backroads in that old pickup with my uncle singing "I'm a Honky Tonk Man". LOL

Ooh, the Prizm did go back to 1994, it says 1989 - 2002 they were made - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_Prizm . I think mine is too old though to swap parts with your Prizm greenbrain, thanks for the offer, I was about to offer to trade you engines, mine came out of a junkyard and has 300 hundred thousand some miles on it! Actually, I don't know for sure how many miles because they had to disclose that the whole instrument panel had been replaced. Many parts on it came from the salvage yard, (like the engine), but oddly enuff it didn't have a salvaged title, it runs good though, no complaints from me. That skit on Saturday Nite Live was so funny about the Daewoo, the Korean guy would say, "I'm going picking up chicks in my Daewoooo!", and he'd slide across the hood like an action hero! Remember to ask if there is papers to sign BEFORE you give the money to purchase it, I signed about 20 papers, like the instrument panel one after I gave them the money. I shoulda known when I figured out that he was a car dealer on Craigslist posing as an individual, but I've had the car nearly 2 years and no breakdowns yet!

Yeah, I am a lucky man, I put my electric mattress pad on 3 and sleep like a sonofagun!

Going to the grocery stores is a job! My roommate does that often and I try as often as I can to help her.

Googling stuff is so helpful and it only takes a few seconds, I too love Googling!

Boy, it is close to 50 degrees right now! I looked for buds on the Dissected Weeping Japanese Maple that I may have inadvertently killed by not watering it last Summer.
THAT will stink if it really is dead. I didn't see any buds on it, which is no good, if it really is dead, I might be sleeping in the woods! Just kidding, but she won't be happy!

Sorry to hear about your car, greenbrain. I asked my sister if she was ever going to try to avoid a deer again, and she sheepishly said no. People have been killed trying to avoid deer and dogs etc., just hit them! I know there isn't much time to think in that situation but trying to avoid something like a deer could really cost somebody big! On top of that, somebody else was saying, "and don't brake because that lowers your car down and the deer could come in the car or mess your car up worse". But personally, I think just hitting it is good enuff. I don't mean to sound all callous like a Bambi killer, but there is too many deer and it isn't worth a human life perhaps.

I love all the talk about the old days with all your relatives. I feel lucky to still have 2 of my 4 grandparents still among the living. I was telling my friend here just today, "you know, I think I know the secret to their longevity, little to no sugar". I recall they always used Sweet N Low and other sugar substitutes. My Grandma always carries substitutes in her purse even everywhere she went. They will celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary this Summer. I called my Mom a while ago to ask her if she had plans for the Super Bowl and she does. She says she likes watching "The Puppy Bowl" on Animal Planet first, (it is refereed by cats) it's from 2 to 4 I think and the Super Bowl starts at 5pm.
Will

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 7:53 PM

I hope I remember to catch the Puppy Bowl. There is a puppy on there from WaySide Waifs in KC. She is a cutie and needs our votes!! lol

All I have ever owned are Ford trucks. This is my third one. If I can get a better job this year, I hope to be able to get a new car to go with the truck by end of year. I doubt I will get that lucky but I'm crossing fingers!! lol

Will, what happend to your Madza?

From Wayside Waifs here eh? That's cool, hope that puppy wins the votes!

Oh, that green car that I had at the Spring 2007 RoundUp? Close, pepper, but it was a 2000 Kia Sephia. I sold it in the Summer of 2008. Here it is at that RoundUp where I first met you and your Grandmother, I think that was Digital Dave's wife next to your Grandma. - You've had that Ford truck for a while, or is that the same one? That Kia was hooked to my first little trailer (it got stolen) that I pulled to that RoundUp, it was full of plants. I have had a Mazda but I sold it in 2006, before I went to a RoundUp.
Ford trucks have always done me well, I've had 2 of them. My last one was red, it was kinda similar to yours, pepper. - That photo says 2010 but it was 2011, the camera was wrong.
That Kia was probably the nicest car that I've ever had. It cleaned up nice, here it was in photos shortly before I sold it, the photos were to advertise it for sell. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Light blue car. I thought it was a Madza. lol.

Yep, still have same truck. 7 years this summer.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Heavy wet snow here covering everything and getting pretty deep.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pic # 1: Groundhog Day morning -- back from grocery shopping.
Pic # 2: Groundhog Day nightfall -- letting the dogs outside.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

That's some grocery shopping there, looks familiar, but the big grocery shopper here, (my friend) uses those bags every time, I think they're mostly canvas bags. Sometimes we get the plastic ones so I have something to put her lunch in and we line a bucket with them also for kitty litter when we scoop. That is some heavy snow there. It is clear here but cold. Although, it's been getting up to 45° around there. So that's the Geo Prizm, nice car.

I like your Dragonfly pin, greenbrain! I see where your Granddaughter gets her red hair! I took some photos of my possible Purple Coneflower seedlings, they're not growing or anything but I was just looking at them. It even looks like some little seedlings might even have some green leaves! See all the seed-heads in those pots? Well, I hope they are Purple Coneflowers anyway! -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I can't say for sure they are coneflowers but I'm pretty sure they are. They look just like mine. Since I'm having to pull them out of beds I don't want them in every year I know them leaves. lol

Good, hope they are Purple Coneflowers.
Boy, that Super Bowl was good at the end, after the power outage a light came on for San Francisco, they came close but not close enuff. Actually, I kinda started wanting San Francisco to win after they came back but I wanted to see the lesser known Harbaugh brother coach win, him and the Ravens pulled it off 34 to 31. Jim Harbaugh kinda got his glory a long time ago as a quarterback.

Oh, I forgot to say those other lighter sticks in some pots up there are Rose-Of-Sharon cuttings.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2013 10:21 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I agree with Pepper. They look like my purple coneflowers too. So you didn't believe that it was so warm Saturday that a dragonfly landed on my coat?

I'm glad to hear of the consensus on the Coneflowers. That makes me feel great, I love Purple Coneflowers, I want them everywhere. I didn't buy any Purple Coneflowers, the little I have came from seeds from a friend around late Sept. 2011 when they were all done blooming for my friend. Hehe.. I put my big SpiderPlant down on the living room floor to water it with a big bowl under it to catch the water and it got some interest from certain felines. - Here is the punch bowl, you see, I have nothing to do than take photos! -
Nah, not that warm even in Ill., couldn't have been a real Dragonfly!

Does the illuminati rumors interest anyone else? I hear rumors that the very rich and powerful in Hollywood such as Jay-Z, Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna and there is a few others have sold their souls for fame, filthy riches and all that celebrity stuff. It's on the front page of Yahoo news even, they say Beyonce might have flashed the illuminati sign at the Superbowl. - http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/did-beyonce-flash-illuminati-sign-why-did-superdome-064347471--nfl.html
Is this just conspiracy stuff? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Fzmyp2TdA If you want, just go to Youtube and search these words. - illuminati music industry
I don't want to seem all out there but those sentiments about the music industry seem pretty popular.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I've been kinda buying up these "mover's dollies", I think they will make good planter's dollies for my getting-big variegated Rubber Plant and my getting-big Sago Palm. These dollies were only $7.99 on sale at Harbor Freight and they have a 1,000 pound capacity. I have 3 of them so far. I write on stuff, I know it sounds silly but it helps me remember about the item. I try to only write on my stuff but I've wrote on my friend's stuff before and she makes me take it off! I don't have a problem USUALLY knowing about my stuff, because I try to document stuff. There's that Grubworm investigating again!
She just looks like a grubworm doesn't she?! She's also in that photo up there eating on my SpiderPlant!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Those dollies come in handy for heavy stuff like the plants. We used them all the time at my other jobs. Saved our backs!

I plan on making the planters for those quite large and heavy. They'll eventually be too heavy to move, I plan on nursing those big ones until they reach the ceiling, then I'd like to maybe sell them to someone in Florida for a princely sum before the oceans come in there! I'm all about going into my golden years with a good back! I've seen pictures of mature Sago Palms and mature Rubber trees, they seem to get about 20 feet tall! At Christmas I got a $25 gift card to Harbor Freight so I took the plunge on moving dollies! I already had 1 dolly, the one dated 9-30-11..lol, now I got 2 more to date by gawd!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here's the snowdog & snowkid that my granddaughter made yesterday. They both melted today. Not a sign of any snow now.
The bunnies like my bamboo and blackberry canes.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

25°/39°/14°
Today...Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming mostly sunny. Scattered flurries until late afternoon. High in the upper 30s. West wind 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight...Mostly clear. Low around 14. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Sorry to get so far behind.

Will,
Wow, daffys! I guess a girl in town did say hers were showing too. I think that's far too early.

Ju,
It hasn't been too bad here. We missed the worst of the storms, and the blowing snow and icy day we had, was warm, LOL!
LOVE the coneflowers!

Green,
Nice to see you, and love the snow picture!
Cute grandkids and bunnies! Love their snow kid and dog!

It's been busy. Right after Christmas we moved my DD into a bigger farmhouse. Then I spent the night every week to help get it in order. I'm still going out every week and need to decide which day to do so this week.

We had a message on the machine last week. The ''Salvation Army'' will be in our town each week and to call if you have a pick up. Aaarggg, I took all I had right before and after Christmas. I have cleaned out just about every cupboard, closet and drawer now. I have nothing left, LOL!

I looked up the ''Farmer's Almanac'' online and put their garden planting chart on my desktop, so at least I'm thinking garden. I'll switch out the marigolds for a row of Zinnias. Woo hoo!

It's a quiet day so far. DH needs to find tax booklets so he can do taxes. He's balking at doing them over the internet. Too much theft and no one seems to care as long as people have insurance. We would rather our SS numbers be on paper..... An electronic world is a bad thing.

Have a good day everyone!

Our goldfinches have turned gold! Not as bright as a dandelion, but still yellow!

Petey covers himself up, LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter

Neat snowdog and the snowkids look so life-like! Yeah, I bet those bunnies do like Bamboo and Blackberry canes, they probably eat them too!
The daffys are up to stay, that's always a nice sign of Spring! I just got back from this 6 hour class on how to get a job. It was embarassing at times, like introducing myself, that's never good!
I stood up and I said, "Hi, my name is Will and I'm a slacker". After everybody had a good laugh I quickly said something else! I do take it seriously though, I go back for some more resume' help and job stuff tomorrow.

Will, good luck job hunting. It's a very tough job market still. I have an interview with Home Depot on Friday. I'm still putting in applications at other places though. You just never know.

Bp, I was wondering where you ran off too!! Glad your daughter is settling in!!

Thanks, you too!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Me,, I need real a job ,, a real life , and warm weather .....lol

I have the real life, real job...well... it's a real job but I just have one major issue which I won't mention. Warm weather..in it's own time. lol. I love the changing of seasons. I get bored with weather that never changes.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Minnesota is supposed to be in good shape for jobs. But today they said MN lost 155,000 jobs 5 years ago. Only 110,000 have returned. Apparently this is progress ?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.