Free Seed for Newbees "Newbee beginning!!"1/14/2013

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

In case you don't know or have forgotten I am prone to typos and occasional ...um ....forgetting...(just in case the Kelly Twins are watching) I havent made a thread in over a year so I am rusty. Patience and pre-forgiveness...and on we will go!!
"Beginning"
Noun
"The point in time or space at which something starts."

Postage Plunders
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286269/

Iris Draw for the New Bees is here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294140/

As far as I can tell.....We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1111944/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293657/
new thread

Chat Thread here also lots of new and old Newbees...be sure to stop in and introduce your self...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152857/

K here we are!! This thread is for Newbie information and questions, No scrambles on this thread...

To get your free seeds

Be Sure to put your dmail name and a note of wants in your envie, along with return name and address
Address exchange is here http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/
You have to add your information to be able to access everyone else's

Please feel free to Dmail me with questions
Many of us "oldies" and some Newbies would like to share our seeds with those of you new to Dave's. By new, we mean you joined in the last 8 months(or so) and are a paying member.
Send me a SASBE (Self addressed, stamped bubble envelope) and we'll send you 10 packets of seeds. (Usually more, depends on our stash) That's all there is to it. Let us know you are sending your envy. Just Dmail me with sent envie today in the subject. You will get a good variety of good seeds.

If you can, stick a note in your envy and tell me they types of things you like. Veggies and Flowers, some seeds you are looking for, stuff like that. It will help me fill your envy. I can't always get just what you ask for, but will try.

Postage keeps going up so now we need five usually,

Send 5 stamps and an address label with your name on it.
4 of the stamps will go back on your return envy, the extra will go into the "pot" I don't use it for personal use, but it helps when some mail comes with postage due and when the "oldies" send boxes of seeds sometimes there is postage due.
Best thing to do is just send me an empty bubble envy with your label and stamps inside. I can use that same envy to send your seeds back. Saves that envy!!
Also, if you will scotch tape the envy to send to me, I can use the self adhesive and won't destroy your envy pulling them open when I get them.
Please make sure you put enough stamps on your envelope you send to me. An empty bubble envy is at least 84 cents, so two stamps. If you are sending seeds, it's more of course.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR D MAIL NAME WITH YOUR ENVY.

I am in the address exchange, so you know where to send the envy. If you can't find it, just d mail and I'll shoot it right to you. At the top of your home page, you'll see the link "EXTRA'S" ,Go into that link, scroll down and you'll see the address exchange this goes to the exchange http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/ you have to add yourself to the exchange then you can get my address.

Oldies!
If you would like to donate seeds, it would be great.!! I know how much I loved it when I was new and someone sent me seeds to get me started. Now I want to pay it forward and maybe you would too.

For those of you who would like to help the newbies, but just don't have a lot of seed, if you would like to trade for seeds, that is great as well. Send seeds for the newbies and I will send you the same amount back. Put a note in with your DG name and let me know what you are looking for also.
Happy Gardening Everyone,
Robin

* I try to give you what you put in your note of wants. The seeds for the newbees are donated by gardeners all over the world. I can not promise you will get what you ask for. You will get a great envie of seed!! Robin

If you are Zone 8 or above please send donations and requests to Rising Creek.
You will find her here http://davesgarden.com/members/risingcreek/

If you are zone 7 and above please send donations and request to me here
http://davesgarden.com/members/arejay59/

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 3:54 AM

This message was edited Feb 11, 2013 2:53 AM

Thumbnail by arejay59
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I think we are in let's see who stops in first!! It used to be our favorite game!!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Please post here if you have requested free seeds for postage for newbees so I can find you!! The directions to get them are at the top of this page!!

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

hi Robin, I subscribed last year, guess I am still considered a newbie.
thanks for giving this another try:)

I'll mail a SASBE later this week.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2013 8:00 AM

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Nice to meet you Paula!!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Robin! Good to see ya back. Glad to see a revival of the Newbee Seed Stash, thought we might have lost that idea somewhere. I remember getting my first envelope years ago, it was huge!

Thanks for all the time and work you've put into this.

Al

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh Al So good to see you!! I think of you often and those beautiful sunflowers and I still remember the tomato plants you sent me years ago all wrapped into there own little homemade pot!! Do you remember the brilliant idea you had at Christmas one time the VHS holders you filled them with hot chocolate packages and seeds and candies? !!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

We had a lot of fun with the VHS boxes. Some people actually sent them back to me with their goodies. One lady sent me homemade Christmas cookies and a sample package of coffee!

I've still got last year's sunflower and tomato seeds up to my ears, I'll see what I can do.

Al

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Yeaaaaaaaaaa!!!! We are "on the road again." YeeeeHawwwww!!!! Paula so great to have you join us. Now we have increased by one.... Hello Al. My Sweet friend Arejay...
I loved my VHS care package...from Al.
I will have some extra seeds if you need any Robin. Just hollar. I even have some bottlebrush seed... I got three plants up from them too......

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

So glad to see this revived! I also remember receiving my newbie seeds years ago, it was wonderful!

Welcome back. We are try to revive it. Please tell your friends. You are welcome to share the link....

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Hi Robin,

I did donate seeds before. Please let me know in a d-mail what seeds you're looking for for the newbies.
I don't want to send in seeds that you already have plenty.

Jonna

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone!! Boy there is some energy in here!! I guess we made the right decision
To bee gin again!! Yes Jonna you did donate and great seeds you sent!! We are starting
Fresh so you can't send any wrong ones!! Spring is coming!! I know there are new bees
Looking for seeds ..to turn into addictions...lol do you remember how fast you go from
New bee to addicted ?
We have a new new bee helper too!! I will introduce you to her in the morning. Hugs
To you all I will see you at sunrise.

the Mountains, CO(Zone 4a)

Ok I just want to get this correct..
I send a bubble envelope inside of another envelope, put five stamps inside, my DG name, address... note of interests...
Are garlics totally out of the question? lol =) I'm assuming so. hehe... And is it ok if I send a pre-used bubble envelope?

This is so cool. Thanks Arejay.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2013 3:30 PM

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Hmmm garlic s...you never know!!! You got it right and used is best!!! We are gardener s and seed savers!!! Address the envelope you send you don't need to send two you can use those sticky labels address the first one with your name and address and put one over it taped not stuck with my name and address I can peel it off put your stamps on fill it and send it back!!!;)

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Hola Happy People! I'm not a newbie to the site, but may I join in the cheerful chat too please? =) I don't need seeds, just like nice, soil-covered people. :) Oh, and I'm an addict too, does that help? ;) heeheeheee

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Meeeeee toooooooo!!!!! I'm so happy it's up and running again! I felt so welcomed to DG when I got my envy, was very sad that the program went astray. I will have some leftovers, delighted to contribute!

Pam

Oh, Goody, I am so happy you all have found us. Welcome , welcome.....
Charleen

Geeeee thank you! < =D I love your response "Oh Goody"! =) Wheeeee, new friends!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning,
Is everyone up? The sun will be up and way ahead of you if you aren't!! Wake up wake up!!

Oh Goody!! That's my Bumble!! XO If you think Ive lost my mind(which I do now and then) Talking to someone named Bumble that you cant find in the thread, Im talking to Rider as you all know her. I have to remind myself to call her Rider. She reminds me of a happy bumble bee flying in making everything happy and growing,helping any flower in the garden. Even the weeds, which by the way are my favorite flowers ,(I favor the herbs) oh and the Irises...which are technically and herb, so I called her bumble one day and it just stuck!!
Now speaking of Irises!! Yes you guessed it he is back !! Our Tallbearded Iris extraordinaire has come in from the garden as it is covered with snow right now!! He is ready to rumble!! Mitt who you will run into sooner or later has offered up a box of Irises!! Yeay!!! All those that donate seed and post on the thread and all New Bees that request seed and post on the tread will be entered into the drawing!! In March we will do a draw and someone will get a box(have you ever seen a box of Mit's Irises? Ill show you if I can remember...
He is the best isnt he!! XO Mit!!
Now one more thing, my new helper!! Her name is Risingcreek and she has graciously offered her help!! Yeah welcome aboard Risingcreek. We haven't worked out the details but we will!! You can find her here http://davesgarden.com/members/risingcreek/
Go easy on her she is new to the new Bee helping job!! It looks like we are back in the new Bee seed business( can you call it business when everything is free?)!!! everyone do a happy dance.
Bumble do you see DG has added a new feature I can add 5 photos at a time!! Maybe we will get an avatar soon!!
Here comes a Mits box of Iris!! Stay tuned !! Boy that took a while!! I think this is one of the boxes I got from Mit years ago!! I wonder if it took so long to find it because I am disorganized or I need more Irises...hmmm

Thumbnail by arejay59 Thumbnail by arejay59 Thumbnail by arejay59

**Singing** "Oooh what a beautiful mooooorrrrning, Oh what a beautiful daaayyyy..." **ahem; spritzes throat**. < =D A glorious morning to you Arejay... may I call you RJ? =)
I do love the name "Bumble" for Rider... I adore bees, that's what I grow my Verbena and Agastaches for (.. and the Cosmos and Daisies, heehee), and I love to go out and deadhead them amongst all the little Bumblers and talk to them while I prune, they're just so cute and happy. I'm sure the neighbors think I'm a little bit Cookoo-luukoo; "Hello there little Bumblee bee, how are you today? Bee careful now (chuckle out loud to myself), I'm gonna water over here, don't want to get your furry little feet wet!" ..and so on. They just buzz happily around, and I know they are on a mission, but it just seems as though they are there purposefully to make **me** feel welcomed and happy... all to say, I think I may just have to adopt the name Bumble for Rider as well... it simply fits! =)

Up at 4:00, got any good worms yet? ;) I am regularly up between 4:00 and 4:30, packing up my Sweetheart DH for work; making coffee, packing his lunch, starting up the van if it's cold... you know, the usuals. Then I do the dishes, straighten up the house, then I get to sit here for a bit before I get busy; sorry I'm late this morning! :)

WOW at your field of Irises!!!!!!!!!!!! (oh, and before I forget, a warm, open-armed Hello! to Risingcreek!) ... now, back to that field.. GREAT GOOGLEY MOOGLEY!! I bet it feels and smells Heavenly in there!! Hmmm... I'm not sure.. DO you need more?? heeheeheee

So, here's a question for you: (it's a multi-parter, hope you have your cup of coffee/tea ready). ;)

I would like to donate to the Seed Society. I'm thinking I should do it this way, please make corrections as necessary:

1: Contact you via D-Mail, providing a list of the seeds I would like to donate.
2: After you've told me where to mail them and which ones I should send, package them all up in individual doubled-up baggies, with printed information in each baggie.
3: Insert all baggies into a bubble envelope and mail them to you.
4: Post a big THANK YOU in here for allowing me to assist.

Have I pretty much got it covered?

As for #2, I cannot access info in the address exchange since I am not listed there. But, I did pay attention to the instructions!! < =D

Okey dokey, now I'm off (my rocker) to peruse the rest of the site, look forward to coming back later and chatting more; meanwhile, I hope everyone enjoys their Bee-You-teeful day! =)

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh Good Morning Speediebean!! You are gonna love it here!! And we are gonna love you here!! So ...now if you are looking to donate no need for lists!! Send it we will love it!!! Box bag or tupperware we don't care what it comes in!! I have had glorious seed arrive in everything from pill bottles to paper towels!! I hold no prejudices!!! Ill cmail no wait lol dmail you with the place to send!! Thank You Thank You did I say Thank You!!
Now for the Iris Garden ..I must have left out some words lol imagine ...that is Mit's Garden not mine...Mine is lovely my iris garden but his whoa!! Imagine tip toeing through those tulips!! No Irises, tiptoe through the Irises at Mits!!
Dmail on the way my new friend Speediebean!!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes you can call me RJ that's slang for Arejay!!

Heeheeheee, I was thinking the same thing "Tiptoeing through the Irises", you read my mind! =) I would LOVE to tiptoe through Mit's Irises, it must smell like HEAVEN there!!

You'd have laughed at me, when I first saw your name, I actually started to pronounce it out loud... came out RJ, and I actually laughed out loud! HA!! Very creative! =)

Heeheeee, I will try to send the seeds in an orderly fashion.. I'm picking up "bad" habits from DH. ;) They are currently stored on a shelf in my basement in a hodge-podge of bottles/jars etc, but I don't see me using them any time soon; school starts in just a couple of weeks, then back to work a few weeks after that... NO TIME!! < =0 (I work at a nursery/garden center, get laid-off from Christmas through end of February). Have decided to get serious about "Playing In The Dirt" for a living, so going back to school for EnvironMENTAL Sciences... at the ripe old age of 48. YIPES, talk about MENTAL! ;) heeheeheee Anyway, yardening will suffer for a while until I get the hang of this, so I may as well make sure my seeds all have a good home, right? RIGHT! I couldn't agree with you more. =)

OK, just one more thread to peek at, then I have GOT to get to that messy basement job! I'm scared... ;)

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

lol nothin there but spiders !! maybe a mouse youll find lots of those in your environmental science studies!! You go girl!! 48 years young you are!!
By the way I laugh outloud at me all the time!! Glad you could join me!! LOLOL

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

I'm in Spain at the moment, but I'll be back home the end of January, so I'll send you some seeds early February.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

No rush at all Jonna anytime you have them to send!! enjoy your trip!!

Here's my Mule and his donkey herd, doing what Long Ears do best and that is EAT...
Bumble is a good name, i call myself that. I rather shaped like a Bumble too!!! So nice to have Rising creek to our growing group.
Speedie, you will love it here and everyone else will too. We are taking an old thread and bringing back to life . Just like some of our favorite plants that go to sleep in the Fall and wake up in the Spring. You will find a strange sort of ages here and everyone is kept younger by our love of "playing in the dirt."
So, You all, grab a beverage of your choice and enjoy being Newbees with some of us Oldsters...Welcome and love to all....
Charleen and Charley (the big red mule)

Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Thats my girl!!

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone. Glad to be a part of this very worthwhile project. I am in the address exchange, will be happily filling newbie requests as long as my seed stash holds out. also, I will try to get your seeds back to you within 1-2 days of receiving your envelope. (hopefully) right now I have plenty of bubble mailers, so you can just send the stamps in a regular envelope, will let you know when that changes.
kc

edited to say just send stamps and address dont need a label

This message was edited Jan 16, 2013 11:20 AM

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Mitt sent me some fabulous irises I still have out there. The rest of the stash has been pretty good also.

I have vast quantity of sunflower, marigold, and zinnia seeds but need time to package up and label properly for Spring. Some left over tomatoes, giant pumpkins, and scarlet runner beans, too

Who are we sending this stuff to?

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Hayden, AL(Zone 8b)

Arejay59,

FUN! I am newbie, just joined this month! I love this site. The avatar joke was a hoot, but seriously Melody (Dave's Garden computer whiz staff member) saved me yesterday. I seemed to have logged myself off forever. I couldn't get to my dmail (Gasp!). She was soooo much help! I do my best on these iPhone/computers, but I really love to dig and hope for something wonderful to grow. Speediebean's neighbors should be thankful. I got out and threw fertilizer in a light shower (mom always said that way you don't burn the leaves:)) and I'm pretty sure my neighbors thought I had lost it! We had just moved here to sunny north Florida! My yard was . . . sand box. Now we all share flowers! :). I've got 1DH, 2 sons and daughter-in-lovelies, Dad (with us), 1 old mix cocker spaniel, 'Tweety', two pomeranians Pierre and Francesca, 3 cats, Neko, Snowball and Vinnie and one chinchilla named Gizmo! Whew! Anyway, I will be happy to start saving any and all seed from down this way for newbies like myself! I am on that list. I am so glad I found this wonderful website! ! ! It really is by gardeners-for gardeners. Bear with me on plant ID (I mis-labeled a succulent I sent with a spiny yucca tag-oops)! I did let them know:). I'm all for this and you count me in to share what seed I have from self, neighbors, family, etc. I collected sago seeds from the edge of parking lot the other day:). LOL! Thank you and Risingcreek for doing the hard part:)! Happy Gardening!
Bellsp
MS-FIGHTER (light weight garden champ :). If I am every off temporarily, I'm just warming back up for round two:).

Love these spots for pics!
Unreal sunset last week, me and Jay:), Pierre (red fur) and Francesca sporting Christmas wear, Dad, Daughter-in-lovely Tabitha, Son Andrew, Hubby Jay, Son Jayson, Daughter-in-lovely Hannah, Pretty Pink Violet

Thumbnail by Bellsp Thumbnail by Bellsp Thumbnail by Bellsp Thumbnail by Bellsp Thumbnail by Bellsp
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Send yours to rising reek Al unless she doesn't want them yet. I have a stash of my own stuff and another donated sending to me. So I say lets get rising creek set up to be able to fill envies before spring. I adore your seeds al and I am out but ill get some eventually!!!
Does that work for you rising reek?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Bells!! Great pictures!! We love photos on the new bee thread makes it feel like home!! AAls prone to short flights now and again and sends us from the air photos we will hope and plead if we have to to get him to post a few!! Bumble is an animal lover we see all kinds of critters from her and an occasional container plant she loves those and even one of her clay creations now and again!! We are an eclectic bunch . If you can't warm yourself up Bells just holler we can always find a good story to tell get you rolling over laughing then the old endorphins kick in and kapow off to the races!!!!

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

yes it does thank you.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Certainly and ill send you some when mine start rolling in!!I just had a thought Rc short for rising creek lol how about we go buy zones you send to the warmer zones requests ill send to the colder so say zone 7 and above you send and zone 7 and below ill send I guess zone 7 will get a well round send but that's ok they are the biggest requests Zone 7 and we like zone pushing so how do you like that idea?

Hayden, AL(Zone 8b)

Arejay59,
Thanks for the welcome and the invite to this spot! I love bumble's horse picture! And Al's air shots sound cool! I already am smiling:). Gardeners are so fun! Should I send my extra seed to you or Risingcreek (when I get them together)? Also, is there an app for Dave's Garden that you know of, then I won't have to type it in so much.
Thanks,
Bellsp

Hayden, AL(Zone 8b)

Arejay59,
I think that last bit answered part of question. I type way to slow!
Bellsp

Thumbnail by Bellsp

Howdy Bell, nice to meet you! =) RC, Bumble **waves vigorously at the camera**!! < =D RJ, are you having a nice day so far? =D

Bell, what great photos, thank you for sharing, you've got a BEAUTIFUL famiily!

Well, I'm all done letting the basement clean-up kick my dupa for now, so finally eating some lunch and calling it a day... until tomorrow. Oh, and I only saw a couple spiders, but that's ok, I like spidies! =) Nooooo mouses though!! Eeeeek! No thank you, I get enough of those things at work. **shudder**.

Heeheeheee, Bell, I had visuals of you tossing your manure into the air like faiery dust and singing "Wheeeeeeee!!!!!", LOL!

Al, I look forward to seeing your aerial photos from the plane(s); Do you have some trips planned in the near future?

Hayden, AL(Zone 8b)

Speediebean,
That's funny, now I see manure flying, too! No joke, I wish down here with all this sand I had a load of manure! I compost non-stop. Ivan washed what little dirt was in the flower beds out, so my neighbor said (we've just been here almost two years). Oh and I believe her! I joke that I make dirt in my sleep. Ha Thanks for the nice comment on family. I think they are my special blessing:). Watch out for those spiders, just because they are little doesn't mean they aren't dangerous. Glad your done with that job and nice to hear from you and others on this-love it!
Have a great day!
Bellsp

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.