CLOSED: DJ'S FALL SEED ROBIN INTEREST

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

MWFW, would you put my name on some of your marigolds and the giant zinnias.

Gardenseeder I have oodles of Shastas. I will pot some plants up for you. Remind me in the spring and I will send them to you. If I knew how to package them I would send them now.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

GETTING quite a group i have a question for you all I will not have enough seeds to do 2 Robins as I did last fall so there is only going to be ONE Robin would you like for me to DRAW Names as to who you will be Passing the robin 2 or Just go from state to state as we have always done ???

DEEJAY9 /SUSIE
CHICORY31/ NEED YOUR NAME ?? & ADDRESS PLEASE
DIAMOND9192002 / ANITA
WWKATHY/KATHY
FOTV/SUSAN
ALIKAT32 /ALI
ORDAIRYGIRL / TESSA
GARDENSEEDER63 / SUSAN
EVELYN_INTHEGARDEN
CRIS316
PAULA_P
SCBUTTERCUP
CZIMMERMAN00
LAMARION
MIDWESTFARMWIFE
RISINGCREEK
ALIKAT32
MINNESIPPI
OBLIQUA
MARTI001
MELLEN1954
MOMCAT
POISONDARTFROG -
BLUESPIRAL-
ARFITZ----WELCOME

I vote for state to state that will save on the expense of shipping won't it?

we shipped in a Med flat rate 10.65 ?? pus .70 conf I Think it was but if you buy the postage online it is cheaper. then everyone pays the same no mater where it is shipped.
THANKS To Mittsy She added to the seed NEST :) Again today I Received More from her for all to share :)

Someone asked about seed Pks ,Commercial seed packs are ok I Would like to keep out the Hand made ones Only because of the TAPE,GLUE, Or Stapes Some USE To seal them .
well tonight is BINGO Night So off to finish My Laundry .

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

state to state is ok:)

Jamestown, OH

Evelyn, I'll mark Chianti Sunflowers for you. Also have other sunflowers and Shasta Daisies for Gardenseeder. Diamond, Marigolds and Giant Zinnias for you. I thought I would empty some packets, put seeds in plastic bag and include the packet for planting info. That way you can see the seeds and a picture of the plant too.

More packets:

Moonflower, Painted Daisy, Trimardeaux Mix Pansy, Flavours Hybrid Mix Impatiens, Nasturtuium Fordhooks Favorites, Four O' Clocks Mix, Morning Glory Heavenly Blue, Orange California Poppy, Morning Glory Crimson Rambler, Dwarf Sungold Sunflower, Black Eyed Susan Single Mix, Sunrise-Sunset Sunflower Mix, Del Sol Hybrid Sunflower, Old Fashioned Mixture, Giant Imperial Larkspur, Shasta Daisy Silver Princess, Heralds of Spring Mix, True Lavender, Sweet William Tall Single, Shasta Daisy Alaska, Carpet of Snow Alyssum, Fordhook Tall Mix Snapdragon.

Veggie list coming!

who ever has the following PLEASE Put me on your list for
LUPINES / LARKSPURS
ANYTHING RED WHITE & BLUES
Tall MARIGOLDS
MAX Million SUNFLOWER

off to Bingo & will think of more later ya all have a great evening . back in the morning for coffee :)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Dj, the guy at the end of my street has maxmillion sunflowers and last year he said I could dig some up. I'm going to go check with him again and see if I can still do that now that I am back from Calif. His patch is 6X6 and he mows around them and trys to keep them cut back from spreading any more.

New Providence, IA(Zone 5a)

Please go state to state, Susie, for postage savings sake?

This IS a large group this time! Lots of people interested. If this is your first time, I can assure you that Susie does a WONderful job coordinating this.

HI, Fruity!!!

WisdomKathy, being at the end of the line does not assure you a large selection of seeds. It can actually be quite 'picked over' by then.

Not sure what seeds I will have. I had a lot from last year as I had planned to wintersow. But, I didn't get any wintersowing done so I still have seeds to share. :P

Yes, Susie, summer has been busy. 2 trips to the cabin in WI and digging and dividing hostas even in the 100 degree heat. One of my sisters lives close by now, and she was excited to help. I dug and divided and she repotted. It was fun doing it that way.

Later,
ME

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Dj, if you need to put me at the end of the line. I'm really just looking for veggie seeds. That will move someone else up to were they have a better chance at getting something they want before the pickings are to slim.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

martioo1 What kind of veggie seeds are you looking for?

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Marti ~ What kind of veggie seeds are you looking for? I have tomatoes, lettuce, bacon (just kidding!!)...
zucchini, cantaloupe, beans, peas, black-eye peas. I will list the varieties later as my seed box is put away right now. Then I will make a proper list.

If all goes well, I will be collecting hardy hibiscus (huge white flowers with a blush to reddish center), Heliopsis 'Summer Sun', Lychnis coronaria (rose campion), Catananche caerula (Blue cupid's Dart) and some hardy asters. I have already collected seeds from some lupines...light pink, medium rose pink and cherry red.

More to follow...

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I want bacon seeds :) better yet - I will take the BLT seeds - then all I need is bread :)

Jamestown, OH

Susie,

I have Larkspur seeds for you and will keep red, white, and blue in mind - know I have Blue Boy Bachelor's Buttons. If you like vines,I have Heavenly Blue Morning Glory. I plan on putting a variety of seed in for every one I take out, so hopefully the next person won't find the box depleted. I also vote for state to state to save on postage. I see Ky., Mi, and In. close to me in Ohio. When will we know the Robin's flight path?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

How about the "new wheat" variety (bread loaf) The seeds are impossible to find?!

Evening all Yes we are going to go state to state I Just had to get a raise out of you all :)) I Just Done up RUDBECKIA :DENVER DAISY
There is enough seeds for everyone to take out 1/4-1/2 teas way More seeds then you would ever Need . & Most of my Baggies should be like that & as long as someone don't get greedy & take the whole Baggie Everyone should get to try them.

In the pass I have had a few greedy Players But I keep hoping it won;t happen again But I Have no control after it leaves here but i think many can tell you we all try to make it fun & everyone will fine lots of goodies to try.

well i have a big day tomorrow Planting Plants & Potting up Plants :) So Good Nite all .

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm overwhelmed by all the seeds everyone has, and very excited to see a couple people have larkspur, I will be looking for that. I'm not sure how the reservation thing works, won't there be enough seeds for everyone to take 10 or 20 of what they want, since we all probably dont want the same thing? And how will the pre-reserved seeds be sent? Just in the general box with the words "reserved for..." placed on it? Since were all paying $10+ it seems like there needs to be some effort to be sure there are mostly unspoken for seeds in this box. It sounds like I'm going to be paying postage for seeds I can't have?

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, okay. I wasn't going to sign up, but... Susie, can you add me to the list?
And I guess I'll add my cerinthe seeds to the box when it makes it to me rather then sending them to Susie ahead of time :)
Midwestfarmwife, you have quite a collection! You have several I may be interested in, but I'll have to think through what all I really have space to plant :)
Michelle

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Yikes! This thread is already huge, and I just found it! I've been away from my garden since early August , and won't get there again until Sunday. Have no idea what I'll find for seeds, but I'm sure there will be a lot. There always is. So please Susie, can I join? Last year was wonderful.

I'll post a list once I see what I have.

Thanks, Pam

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

scbuttercup,
I'm not a fan of the "reserved" seeds idea for the reasons you mention and others, but I have done this swap twice in the past and when you get the box you will see that there are not really that many reserved seeds-certainly not enough to displace the general offerings. I don't post a list of what I will be putting in the box but I do look at people's trade lists and if I have something on a wish list I put it in an envelope with their name on it.
We were promised cool weather last weekend and it really did not materialize, but it looks like this weekend may be a perfect one. I hope to collect seeds then.
Alana

Concord, NH

no worries ladies, the flat rate box always cost the same either way and trust me there's ALWAYS plenty to share ! you might even find a couple with your name on them,its all for fun and boy do we have fun!! happy gardening all,Susan

OK LIKE I HAVE ALWAYS DONE IN THE PASS WAS TO SAY IF YOU HAVE SEEDS TO SHARE WITH SOMEONE THEN JUST

1 PUT THEIR SEEDS IN A SMALL WHITE ENVY WITH THEIR NAME ON IT & FROM DG NAME.

THERE IS 27 PLAYERS SO FAR & ALSO IN THE PASS i HAVE ASK THAT IF YOU TAKE OUT 10 PKS YOU PUT BACK 10 PKS
OR MORE WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO SHARE WITH OTHERS . & ( NOT ALL THE SAME KIND) WE DO NOT NEED JUST 10 PKS OF
PURPLE CONE FLOWER OR (example ) ONLY I LOVE CONE FLOWERS AS LONG AS THERE IS VARIETY OF THEM.

WITH THIS MANY PLAYERS WE SHOULD ALL GET SOME NICE SEEDS . WELL OFF TO GET MY DAY GOING .

happy gardening ev1

SHOULD WE CUT OFF SIGN UP AT 30 PLAYERS ?? OR JUST KEEP ADDING TILL ITS READY TO FLY ????
DEEJAY9 /SUSIE
CHICORY31/ NEED YOUR NAME ?? & ADDRESS PLEASE
DIAMOND9192002 / ANITA
WWKATHY/KATHY
FOTV/SUSAN
ALIKAT32 /ALI
ORDAIRYGIRL / TESSA
GARDENSEEDER63 / SUSAN
EVELYN_INTHEGARDEN
CRIS316
PAULA_P
SCBUTTERCUP
CZIMMERMAN00
LAMARION
MIDWESTFARMWIFE
RISINGCREEK
ALIKAT32
MINNESIPPI
OBLIQUA
MARTI001
MELLEN1954
MOMCAT
POISONDARTFROG -
BLUESPIRAL-
ARFITZ
GARDENQUAIL---WELCOME
PGF---WELCOME

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

this is my first seed robin so I am not too picky on varieties. And just my opinion, but why not let people join until Oct 1st, as long as everyone can pay the postage & doesn't get greedy there should be plenty of seeds:)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Veggies I'm interested in:
Corn/ hopefully bi-color
zucchini
green beans
lima beans
peas
orkra - I'm going to pickle some for a friend
tomatoes

I'm going to try some potatoes also, but I think I will have to buy seed potatoes here.

Jamestown, OH

My 1st Round Robin too, and this is going to be FUN! Now I don't have to feel so guilty about being a 'seed hoarder' because they'll be put to good use - and it will leave more room in the fridge for food!

Marti, you'll want to purchase your seed potatoes next spring when it's time to plant. If you haven't tried sweet potatoes, buy some! We got 25 plants this yr. for a reasonable price, and they have done great even in this horrible drought. I know when we dig them up (use potato fork), we'll have so many that I'll have to use my father's apple crates and store them in the barn! Some get really huge.

Any reserved seeds don't have to take up much space since only small amounts are needed to get starts going of each variety. Most people are limited on space to plant anyway.

I think the 'More the Merrier' on sign-ups.

Extra veggie seeds in my stash:

Broccoli di Cicco, Vates Non-Heading Collards, Green Lucullus Swiss Chard, Henderson's Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce, several kinds of hot peppers, several kinds of zucchini, several kinds of radishes, Early Prolific Straightneck Squash (yellow) Clemson Spineless Okra (some for Marti to pickle - how about a recipe for that?), White Lisbon Bunching Onion, Garlic Chives, Cat Grass (Oats),
Cucuzzi (edible gourd with white blooms and HUGE vines that will climb 50' up a tree!), Tigger Melon, Indian Corn (from last yr. - germination will decrease some as in all corn and beans), Genovese Basil,
Long Island Mammoth Dill, several kinds of Cucumbers including Lemon (very prolific!), Snowball x Cauliflower, Parsley, Marconi Sweet Pepper, Green Striped Cushaw, Connecticut Field Pumpkin, New England Sugar Pie Pumpkin, Early Hanover Honeydew Melon, can spare a trade or two of Taiwan Black Seeded Long Bean, Blue Crown Squash, Detroit Dark Red Beet, Basil that's either Cinnamon or Purple Ruffles, and maybe a few surprises.

Has anyone else had their beans cross? Two years ago my Jacob's Cattle Beans crossed with the Pink Beans, and some Jumbo Pink Banana Squash crossed with New England Sugar Pie Pumpkin. The result was small and shaped like the Pie Pumpkin but the salmon color of the Banana Squash. I called it a Squmpkin. I plan on experimenting with the seed next yr. to see what grows!

Susie, I say cut it off at 30. I am willing to pay sase for my reserves. I prefer to sdirectly but its a lot of fun to get unexpected envied in the box. Some of the ladies really take a lot of time to go through the lists to enclose special requests. I love the way Susie has this set up.

I can't remember who posted white hardy hibiscus and cherry red lupine but will you please make an envie for me ?

I will have tons of gaillardia, liatris and blackberry lilies.

For those who won't be listing here what all they're putting in the box, may I ask a favor? I'm blind, so when the box gets to me, I'll need to have my husband look through the box to find the things I want. To help with this process, if you wouldn't mind dmailing me a note to let me know what you've added, then I can be thinking about what to have him look for, and your items will still be a surprise for everyone else.
To give you an idea of things I may be looking for: I do my gardening in containers, some of which are quite large. At this point, I'm focusing on flowers, especially scented ones, though there are a few exceptions (like the cerinthe that I grow) :)
Is it all right if I include seed packs of mine that have already been opened if I put them in a ziplock so no seeds spill out? I have several that I may decide to just take out a few seeds to try and could then share the rest.
This is also my first round robin :)
Michelle

Concord, NH

stop at 30 and were probably gonna need a bigger box! lol woopie this is gonna be a great one,susan

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Considering that I have very few seeds to share, I will be very careful how much I take from the box. I do have lots of Money Plant seeds and will put some in for anyone that wants them.

For everyone offering veggie seeds for me, Thank you very much. I need get the veggie and herb seeds so that I can see how many containers I need to get for my garden. I'm also collecting cardboard for composting and killing weeds.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO RISINGCREEK
MAY YOUR DAY BE BRIGHT
AS YOU WADDLE THOUGH YOUR GARDEN'S OF DELIGHT :)))
NOT A POET AS YOU CAN SEE BUT I MEAN WELL :)

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you so much!

I also think you should stop at 30 just for the size of the box. i have no problem sending anyone their requests rather than including them in the box.

kc

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Susie, I would like to join in if you still have room.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday, risingcreek! "May all your blooms come true." That's my corny wish for all birthday peeps and it really does come from the heart. Your screen name reminds me of a phrase my dear ol' Southern Dad used to say when he had the best intentions, "Good Lord willing and the crick don't rise..."

As in the past, I'll reserve packs for those requesting particular seeds and write their DG names on individual envelopes. Depending on the flight path, if someone falls after me, envies will go in the Robin and don't mind mailing seeds to those ahead of me. I've participated several times and individual envies have taken up very little space.

This is the only place I know where you can take what seeds you want or need, within reason, and replace them with an equal amount to go down the line. Think of it this way, postage for a Medium Flat Rate box with a delivery confirmation number is around $12. Where can you go locally or online and purchase a minimum of 10 packs of seeds that economically? The variety everyone contributes to the Robin is awesome, rivaling a kid in a candy store.

Evelyn, would you reserve a few of your hardy Hibiscus seeds for me please?

You have such a tempting assortment of seeds to share, farmwife, I don't know where to begin.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Diamond....can you reserve a bit of hardy hibiscus for me....??? please!

Michelle -- I'll happily send you a dmail of what I'm putting in the box! Not sure if you'll be ahead of me or not but I can always snail mail you the seed packets! :)

I'm all for the "more the merrier...." and if we need a large flat rate...that's ok....it's still cheaper than buying packets at the store!

I have a running list of the seeds I'm collecting at the top of this thread...and I've put names next the seeds people want so I'll mark packets for those that I know so far!

Candi

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Candi, would you save a few seeds of your Evening Primrose and Yellow Yarrow for me?

I'll be saving seeds from my Purple Yarrow that's blooming now. Spider not included...lol

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Could someone please save white Datura seeds for me? I had it this year but left just as it was getting going. It was in a pot and didn't get any special attention while I was gone so I'm sure there won't be any seeds. I'm getting really antsy now, can't wait to see the garden again on Sunday. It will be 6 weeks since we were there last. Yikes!!!

Pam

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

FOTV thank you-and that is exactly where the name comes from. there is a creek running through the property that gets huge if we get a lot of rain and washes out our little dirt road, to say nothing of how much of the property goes underwater.

Pfg- I have white datura and will save you some.

kc

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Quote from diamond9192002 :

I can't remember who posted white hardy hibiscus and cherry red lupine but will you please make an envie for me ?

Hi, Anita!

It was I who have them, and I will save some for you.

Evelyn

Thanks- and belated happy birthday! Hope it was great!

Hi, all.
Risingcreek, hope you had a wonderful birthday :)
AliKat32, thanks... When you decide what all you'll be including in the box, especially if there are things you haven't already listed, I would definitely appreciate a dmail :)
Risingcreek and AliKat32, you both posted that you have evening primrose. How large does your evening primrose get (height and spacing needed)? What color is it, and is it scented? (Just read that there is a scented variety.)
Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.