CLOSED: DJ'S FALL SEED ROBIN INTEREST

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

At this time I'm not sure if i will be able to start a robin for I have not been able to collect many of my seeds everything bloomed & dried up in our over heated weather this summer before i could get to them .
I hope to get to some of my SUNFLOWER Seeds before the birds get them . what are you collecting these days .???
so far I know I will have my poppy seeds will post others as i collect them .

our swap will start in NOV so you have lots of time to decide.

hope you will join us

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9
Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

I will join!
Thanks

hi chic Just start saving as many seeds as you can & you can make a list of what you have if you like then if others would like some just add their name next to the type they want easy way to keep track :)))

seeds i have at this time are & will add as i get them
COREOPSIS " ROUTE 66"
COREOPSIS " PRESTO"
COREOPSIS " BABY SUN"
COREOPSIS " UNSURE YET HAVE TO GET ID FOR IT
CARNATION " DBL YELLOW -GRENADIN GOLDEN SUN
GAILLARDIA " FANFARE
GAILLARDIA ' TOKAJER
HOLLYHOCK ""BLACK WATCHMAN"
HOLLYHOCK ""SINGLE YELLOW"
HOLLYHOCK ""SINGLE DK ROSE"
HOLLYHOCK "SINGLE PEACH
MARGARITE DAISY " SUSAN MICHEAL"
MALVA FRENCH HOLLYHOCK "ZEBRINA OR BRAVE HEART
MALVA FRENCH HOLLYHOCK "MYSTIC MERLIN OR BIBOR FELHO
POM POM POPPY MIXED RED & PINK
POM POM POPPY PURPLE

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 8:15 PM

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Count me in...I am collecting gaillardia and burgundy and vanilla (mix) scabiosa. I would love to collect the butterfly bush seeds but I'm not sure how. I have the honeycomb butterfly bushes and black knight.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 8:33 AM

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I'll join....I'm in the process of collecting seed now, since I didn't get many things deadheaded so seeds I have on those that bloomed......Tho I still have things to bloom yet.....I want POPPY seeds and Scabiosa burgundy and black.

I just got more mini bags to put seeds into, bought 600, hmmmm, think I might have a few extras, lol.......

Pix: These are my homemade grow stands, I'm ready to get these back up again......

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 4:11 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Saving my place for haves, trades, and wants.

Haves or soon will have, harvested from my gardens...

Cannas
Miss Oklahoma (pink striped with yellow)
Tropical Sunrise (soft peachy pink to light orange)

Coreopsis 'Red Shift' and "Full Moon"

Cosmos, mixed
Cosmos 'Purity'

Daylilies, mixed

Echinacea "Paradoxa" (see pic)

Marigold 'Vanilla'

Zinnias (mixed)
http://community.webshots.com/album/583317392ArpkYZ

Agastache seeds: 'Golden Jubilee' and ''Blue Fortune'

Nepeta cataria (Catnip)

Eryngium zabelii 'Big Blue' (Sea Holly) -- ahoogstra and obliqua
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/ERBI.html

Shasta Daisy seeds, hopefully

Yarrow -- Purple blooms

I'll add to haves as more seeds ripen and will also see what's in my bin you all might like to try.

###

Seeds from Others
deeejay9 -- Sunflowers, Hardy Hibiscus, Poppies
WWK -- Purple Cosmos

###

Seeds for Others

Candi -- Agastache, Blue Sea Holly, cosmos, zinnia, vanilla marigold
Susie -- Zinnias, Cosmos, Agastache, Vanilla Marigold, Purple Yarrow
Mittsy -- Cosmos 'Purity'
gardenseeder63 / Susan -- Purple Yarrow
czimmerman / Chris -- Purple Yarrow
marti001 / Marti -- Purple Yarrow
diamond9192002 / Anita -- Purple Yarrow
midwestfarmwife -- Purple Yarrow
Cris316 / Cris -- Purple Yarros

This message was edited Oct 11, 2012 7:25 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

THAN YOU SUSAN i WILL DO THAT FOR THE bIRDS ARE AFTER THEM NOW i DON'T KNOW THE NAMES OF THESE
BUT THEY SURE ARE PRETTY .
I Have others that have opened in the last day or two also I also have about 7-8 differant colored BFBushes but not sure how to collect the seeds hope to have seeds from my hybiscus peppermint schnapps, saltry kiss, kopper king, party favor, blue river,and a few others .
well got to check out a few other sights so welcome all & Yes I love HELPFUL TIPS :)))))

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9
Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

I'd love to be in on the seed trade! DJ -- your sunflowers are so awesome!

Seeds I'll be collecting:
purple cone flower - save some for Gardenseeder (Susan)
rose campions
chive
siberian iris
evening primrose
tiger lily
red lupine
jacob's ladder
money plant
yellow daylily
pink columbine
masterwort
morning glory seeds
orange poppy
yellow yarrow
blanket flower
thrift
tricolor kniphofia (red hot poker)
ligularia - save some for czimmerman00

++++++++++++++++++++

Seeds I Would Like:
FOTV - Agastache, Sunflowers, Blue Sea Holly, cosmos, zinnia, vanilla marigold
DJ- HollyHock, Columbine, Cosmos, hardy hibiscus,
Tessa - coreopsis. fringed pinks
Cris316 - columbine
LaMarion - marigold

Candi

This message was edited Sep 15, 2012 10:34 PM

THANK YOU ALI & WELCOME
PLAYERS
DEEJAY9
CHICORY31
DIAMOND9192002
WWKATHY
FOTV
ALIKAT32

You're welcome, Susie. Love those wine colored Sunflowers.

We had a couple of unexpected visitors today, Cedar Waxwings in our Cherry Tree. We saw several last Summer flocking with Robins, but usually only see them picking the cherries clean in January or February. Today's sighting was quite a treat!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't want more seeds but I will be sending some to Susie.

1 & 2 Amsonia Blue Star willow
3. pink foxglove
4. Pacific Giant delphinium
5. Mittsy's mailbox mix Morning Glories

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

Mittsy we thank you & can use any you would like to share with us :)

Nyssa, OR(Zone 6a)

I participated last year and would love to be involved again this year.

I've got a few things collected that are great performers in my garden, some from seeds of last years swap

Lavatera "ruby regis"
Coreopsis tinctoria "radiata mix"
Cosmos sulphurus "ladybird lemon"
Iris dichotoma "vesper iris"
Malope glacier fruit pink
Painted Tongue
Galliardia pulchella- annual
Yellow gaillardia
Fringed pinks - red, pink and white.
4 o'clocks- red, white and 2 new cool varieties.

I'll have to post pictures when I'm on the other computer. I'll also have tons of sunflower seeds.

Tessa

WELCOME TESSA Good to have you back I also hope to have some sunflower if i can get them before the birds so going to net them tomorrow way to tired tonight . Jim & I cleaned out the Barns this pass week & Have everything down under the big top :)
we done $402. today between the two of us Tomorrow i hope will be better for SUMMER FEST Is going On in town So Lots of TRAFIC
By Our road :)
Here is whats in Bloom here tonight :)
My 1st BRUG Blooms of the season :) #2 is of my NEW MOON White Pumpkins I Hope can anyone tell me what #4 is ???

PLAYERS
DEEJAY9 /SUSIE
CHICORY31/ NEED YOUR NAME ?? & ADDRESS PLEASE
DIAMOND9192002 / ANITA
WWKATHY/KATHY
FOTV/SUSAN
ALIKAT32 /ALI
ORDAIRYGIRL / TESSA

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Anyone ever seen this plant

Thumbnail by diamond9192002
Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

Yes ! Alocasia "Stingray" Very cool where did you get it?

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Oh -- I hope to get some great seeds this year! Am not looking forward to November tho....tooo chilly!

As is get more seeds I'll update my list!

Candi

Susie, #4 is a Datura. See if you think yours is possibly this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/14/

The same nursery I just mentioned on the August plant trade thread that now has Mums for $6.49 had a huge Alocasia "Stingray" when I was there several weeks ago. It had several 2-3" diameter trunks and was at least 6' tall. The price tag marked 'sold' also read $105! It was the first time I'd ever seen one in the flesh and it was Awesome!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Speaking of Daturas....did that one I sent you (d. metaloides) make it Susie? I'll also be collecting a few seed pods as they ripen.

I was saving the seed from these lilies, pods were just strting to ripen and pooof..... gone. Drat!!!!!! Those cruddy four legged thingies are just about to end up as a venison steak!!!!! Lol. That'ld show them! Now that the g.kids are back in school I'll have time to get some things done, hope, hope hope!

So how does this trade work, we specify what we want from what's listed and you send them to us? And how much you wanting on postage, just a few questions....lol. And if noone wants all that we sent to you? And should we lable those that can only be started indoors under lights? Got more but will delve out a few at a time. Kathy

pix 2&3 a few goodies I'll be including...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Susan, I got the Stingray from a greenhouse called Stucky's.

Love the cosmos Kathy

Evening all Just one more day of the day of my sale then I will get caught back up here :) GN alll

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Hope you had good sales Susie!

IT has been a busy 2 days but well worth it barns are looking a little better :)) still much more to get cleaned out yet but we are getting there .

Steady as you go, Susie. You might live off the beaten path like we do, but you have the perfect set-up for potential customers and an opportunity to make new gardening friends.

Kathy, I love that Purple Cosmos bloom. Save some seeds for me please.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Sure Fruity!!!!!!! If the deer will leave them alone...lol. Every day I go out to find them having been munched on..and dratz, they got my resedia that just about had some mature seed.......not the prettiest flower but one of the best smelling!!!!!!

Pix is Resedia oderata, Katherine the Great loved it sooo and had it throughout her gardens...and it does reseed (annual).(Lol, I know I read too much).

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Concord, NH

would love to be in the robin! and and i would love any beautiful sunflowers please and yellow hollyhocks and coneflowers mine came up crazy looking lol., i have so far collected,white liatris,angles blush rose champion,balloon flower,yellow mullen,large yellow sunflower, and a few others havent had time to update my list yet,happy gardening all susan

WELCOME SUSAN /GS :) off to town soon then Lots to do as soon as it drys off so will be back later today .
PLAYERS
DEEJAY9 /SUSIE
DIAMOND9192002 / ANITA
WWKATHY/KATHY
FOTV/SUSAN
ALIKAT32 /ALI
ORDAIRYGIRL / TESSA
GARDENSEEDER63 / SUSAN

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Susie....I may have to join y'all. I will have to check my seed stash and see what is ready. Not sure yet.

Kathy ~ Do you use deer repellant?? I could not garden without it, but, yes, sometimes they eat anyway when they are hungry enough. (They LOVE mums!!)
I am glad my hubby finally put in a good fence for our veggie garden. In there I have corn, zucchini, cantaloupe, beans, peas, 3 apple trees, many tomatoes, and a nectarine seedling growing from the compost pile. The ornamental beds are the "Dark Side Garden", White Flower Border", and the "Cottage Garden Bed", which has mainly pinks, purples and blues with a couple of pale yellow and some red snaps, here and there that I grew from seed. They sure took a long time to grow from winter sowing. Over a year...but mostly flowers were from Bluestone Perennials... Phlox, Asters, 1 Peony, 1 Tree Peony, Ageratum, Veronica, Agastache...this is a fairly new bed and it took a long time to prepare as I have rotten clay soil, and still it needs a good mulching every year. All of my beds require it. I think I need to cut back, but how??? However, it does not look lush. I must think of what else to do in there to make it look better. I hope to be getting a watering system installed, I think that will help, as I water them all from the hose.

Here are the deer in winter trying to survive on frozen ceonothus or manzanita...

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Nope, haven't tried the deer repellant yet, one of these days when I get caught up on things, or cools off so I can get to some of my chores here.....Lol. What brand do you use?

this is the herd of boys, just having fun, lol............I'm glad they can laugh about....I don't (**^&%##&)).....My seed pod from these lilies just disappeared....dratz!!!!! Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I alternate between Liquid Fence and PlantSkyyd. I used to just use Liquid Fence, but one year. PlantSkyyd was on sale and they posted the price very low, which was corrected the following day, but they did honor the posted price. I think I got that at Burpee or Park Seed. I usually get LF at my local nursery, so no shipping fee.

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

So far I have these to share:

Alyssum: Pastel Carpet mix and Royal Carpet
Astranta major (white)
Baby's Breath: Covent Garden
Bachelor Buttons (mix) colors are really striking
Columbine:
European mix, winky raspberry, winky Blue, deep plum (Wm Guiness?)
English Daisy Bellis Perennis
African Daisy mix
Forget-me-not
Tinantia erecta
Wax begonia
Siberian Wallflower
Zinnia (2-4')
Zinnia Envy

Hollyhock 6 color mix and black
Hibiscus: Confederate Rose and magenta colored dinnerplate
Datura Black currant swirl and sacred white

Wants:
Dichondra
Nigella African Bride

Saved seeds for :
AliKat - columbines
FOTV - Toad Lily

This message was edited Sep 8, 2012 3:12 AM

This message was edited Sep 9, 2012 9:48 PM

Great CRIS Love to have you I NEED & Want Loads of Columbines :) Check out my Bonnet Garden

PLAYERS
DEEJAY9 /SUSIE
DIAMOND9192002 / ANITA
WWKATHY/KATHY
FOTV/SUSAN
ALIKAT32 /ALI
ORDAIRYGIRL / TESSA
GARDENSEEDER63 / SUSAN
EVELYN_INTHEGARDEN
CRIS316

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Evening Everyone,

The link, which will hopefully work, is to an album of Zinnias I'm growing and will be saving mixed 'free for all' seeds. You're first on the list, Susie, since you asked for them earlier. There will be plenty to go around!

http://community.webshots.com/album/583317392ArpkYZ

Also am collecting Cosmos seeds from these two light and dark orange ones so far (Bright Lights?) and will save others like Purity (white) and pretty pink ones as they ripen.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

A few Canna seeds have ripened and been collected. These are the first ones and I'll be vigilant collecting seeds since there won't be many to go around. Looking at pods on others that were also new this year, most just contain dust.

Miss Oklahoma (pink striped with yellow)
Tropical Sunrise (soft peachy pink to light orange)
Eureka -- http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37294/

WW Kathy, I keep forgetting to let you know seed pods collected from Hibiscus moscheutos 'Midnight Marvel' were sterile :(
The leaves though are starting to turn fiery orange with our coolish nights.

That reminds me, should any of you have Hardy Hibiscus seeds, I'd love to try a few. Color doesn't matter.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

SUSAN I Will Or Should these Hardy Hibiscus seeds ,LUNA RED, LUNA WHITE , KOPPER KING , PEPPERMINT SCHNAPPS,
SALTRY KISS , BLUE RIVER , & PARTY FAVOR WILL PUT YOUR NAME ON WHAT I CAN GET ALONG WITH THE SUNFLOWERS SEEDS .
MY CANNAS ARE ALMOST DONE BLOOMING anyone have maximillon sunflowers I Need a few seed if you have .
offto check the other threads

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

OH MY GOODNESS! I can't wait to have some of those great seeds! AMAZING!

Thank you, Susie! I'd be happy trying any of those Hibiscus. My Cannas are about done too, just waiting for one or two more late cultivars to bloom.

Do any of you want Agastache seeds? So far I've collected seeds from 'Golden Jubilee' which is easy to ID with it's bright chartreuse green leaves and is also one of the first plants to emerge in early Spring, and another that is either 'Blue Fortune' or 'Blue Licorice'. I smelled the leaves and really think it's 'Blue Fortune'.

Thanks to you, Kathy, I clipped the Nepeta cataria (Catnip) plant today you sent me in April or May and have an abundance of seed heads. It's planted next to one of my stone walkways and sprawled over it in a short time, growing like a weed...lol. Was it Steph or somebody else who commented it readily self-seeds? I beat it to that stage....maybe.

What about Eryngium zabelii 'Big Blue' (Sea Holly) seeds? What an unusual perennial hardy in Zone 5-9 that I wanted so long and finally ordered it from Bluestone last year. It shines in late Spring / early Summer and the blooms look like a cloud of Blue thistles. I've collected seeds for any of who you'd like to try them. Beware though, every inch of this plant is prickly: http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/ERBI.html

While I'm thinking about it, I've also collected Shasta Daisy seed heads. Now the challenge begins actually finding the seeds. Any advice how to?

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Am in the process of collecting these seperately, of Rudbeckia,(if anyone can further id these , thanks).

pix1 is light colored ring
pix2 is dark center ring
pix3 is early stage of pix 2
pix4 is org center ring
pix5 grouping, guess their more like self seeded

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Fruity -- I've love any seeds from you that grow in zone 5....i don't even mind they prickly ones.....thinking of that I have rosa rugosa rose hips...are those seeds? Should I collect those?

Shasta daisy -- I didn't think those gave off seeds.....thought they grew by underground runners......maybe they are like other daisy....dry out the head and the yellow middle turns brown and that's where the fine thin seeds are......??

Your flowers are so beautiful! LOVE them!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

If anyone wants open pollinated MG (Morning Glory) seeds, speak up now or I'll let them go to the compost pile.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.