July 2012-Plants shriveling up already

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

New thread for July!!!

We come from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262596/

It is way too hot and way to dry here!! I wish it would rain. I'm even leaving my windows open in my truck hoping that will encourage it to rain. lol

Daylily and allium seedhead

Thumbnail by pepper23
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Grandma did that two days ago about leaving the car windows down and it has rained five times in those two days.That might work!

shortleaf; I am still using that key chain camera,I wish I had better only you know how that goes.Here is one I took with the web cam a few weeks ago.
How do ya like that big woolly burdock in the second pic,I can still grow weeds!!! cool huh? (lol)

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Catching up.

Will, I think your sunflowers will be nice and big!

Happ,
Daylilies like water and their roots have little tubers that hold water. Yours are needing watered.

Ju,
Very nice burdock, LOL!!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks billyp, I hope they get big.

I never thought about that, I'm going to leave my car windows down too! I have a key chain camera too, they are indeed small and the photos come out small! My camera is 8 years old, about the time that way upping the megapixels became useless, so it is okay. It even has a fairly decent optical zoom for a point & shoot camera that old - ten times.

My Liatris is finally starting to show some purple color. It's funny how eager they are to droop, I even water them every day.

Here is my DitchLily in a pot, it has gotten quite a bit brown, when I water some other plants by it I usually give it some water too. I'm not really expecting bad things for the DitchLily after all that's what it is!
I think DitchLily means immortal!

How about the "No Soliciting" sign on my trailer?! I couldn't find a "beware of dog" sign! lol
Will

This message was edited Jul 2, 2012 3:07 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Almost all of my daylilies look almost dead. lol. I'm not watering them. If they live, great, if not I will plant something else. They are down between the woods and road and there are too many to hand water.

This heat I think is just burning up some of my plants. Some Hostas seem to be drying and shrivelling up too. Pouring water on them every day doesn't seem to help. Like some nice big Elephant Ears of mine also, about the outer 2 inches of their big leaves just dries up and turns crunchy.

My concrete succulent dish, (and one former lizard terrarium cactus) seem to be doing just fine, but I think those plants like the heat!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

All my hostas are barely hanging on but that's due to the tree being cut down and them getting more sun now.

Oh, I like the woolly Burdock, juhur! It is STILL hot.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I can send ya all ya want!!! From this morning if you look closely there is liatris blooming in the Coneflowers

Thumbnail by juhur7

I don't know what Burdock is, thanks for the offer. I see the Liatris down low, that's a neat combination. Is that your web camera unplugged or something? I see the photos are bigger than before.
I have a web camera but it doesn't unplug that I know of, it's a Microsoft Lifecam VX-6000.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Right Now: 89°/95°/75°
Sunshine and a few afternoon clouds. Hot. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph.

Will,
I was suprised to find the Blazing Stars like water and even grow in boggy ditches. I also have coneflower that wilt in the heat. Both are suposed to be prairie plants....
Aren't they lovely tho? You will have a nice show if you can keep the squirrels out of the beds from now on.
Smiling, any ''no'' sign is good :o)

Pepper,
The lst rain saved mine in the sunny bed, and I am slowly trying to water those that look like your's and Wills. I don't have any I want to love :o)

Will,
Yep, the succulents are looking good!
ROTFL!!! Google it! Burdock is a weed, pretty bloom, but once you let it grow....

Ju,
Nice combination!

We were out early this morning watering. I rode the bike, and right off stopped to talk to a neighbor who is down visiting his parents. Then on to talk to a girl who's gotten plants from my free pile. I went to school with her in her town and she ended up living in my town running the old tavern. She took Master Gardener classes which suprised and delighted me :o) Then my brother hollered out as I went past that Andy Griffith died. I came home and made dinner and coffee and am going out pretty soon to see how hot it is.

Life in a small town :o)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the plant combo mention the liatris will get larger.Burdock is a large Herb considered to be an invasive weed

Yes that is my web cam, it will do okay on battery power for a while, only it is not much fun to carry the computer around outside.Does take nicer pics though, only it won't photo red or yellow when you photo tomatoes,settings or something.This is an old dell I got from the trash and took three or four Trojans and a worm virus out of. it crashed three times on me while I was disc repairing, mostly likely that was why it was thrown away to begin with.

Burdock sounds kinda cool, I see it is popular with moths. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burdock Thanks, yeah any "no" sign is good when they work. Solicitors would come to the door anyway. Maybe they'll come to the trailer when it is going down the road at 70 mph!

Blazing Stars like the water eh? I wish more of the plants that came up would actually flower, only 7 of the 20 or so Liatris in there are gonna flower, it looks like right now.

Eek! Going around the yard with a laptop! That hit me after I hit the send button earlier, she is going around the yard with her laptop! Thanks, that shows some dedication right there!

Life in a small town would be good, and not have to worry about crime or anything. Where I live only has 3,500 population but that's probably just because people only live here because they have to.
There is big cities just blocks away. Kansas City is in sight and the 4th most populous city in Missouri, Independence, is only about 4 blocks away. Where I live is like a growth on Independence, MO.
We had our mailbox smashed on June 11th, in March our doorbell rang at 4am. Last nite, the same hooligans that smashed our mailbox were back out there walking up the street at 2am, for some reason they are loud.
This time I was looking out the window for them, I was ready to call the police or something!

I don't know what's going on with some of my Hostas but I am guessing the heat is toasting the leaves. Here is a Sum And Substance that is disagreeing with the weather here. -

I have a pink Hollyhock from the seed packet of 'Royal Carnival' Hollyhock that I planted last year, blooming a nice pink flower, there was other colors in the packet but apparently only pink grew. -

Here is those getting messed up Elephant Ears. -

Even the Swamp White Oak that I grew from an acorn from Powell Gardens (Arboretum) is feeling the heat. Altho, it does that nearly ever year to conserve energy I suppose, it drops it's leaves. -

This 'Blue Angel' is feeling something. My uneducated amateur guess is that the soil is too alkaline. I used to think it was too acidic until I read that Hosta like it a little acidic. But other potted, (not as much alkaline soil perhaps), 'Blue Angel's aren't turning crispy from the heat, so I don't think it's that. They seem to be one of my Hostas that are doing okay with the heat. Sum And Substance Hosta doesn't seem to like it. I bet more northern states is more ideal for some of the Hostas. It's pretty northern here, but my gosh, this heat every day in the Summers is stifling!

Thanks Sally, I really like my concrete planter succulent dish, I put another bucket of rocks around it today.
Will

This message was edited Jul 3, 2012 7:09 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

WIll, my hostas (the ones still in shade) are doing the same thing. I think it's a heat issue and not a soil issue. We have never had this much heat for so long and so early. And on top of that no rain and the hostas are gonna be affected.

It was so hot today that our air conditioners at work couldn't hardly keep up. We were sweating no matter where we were (except coolers and freezers lol) and a bunch of us actually got a bit sick from this. It was not a fun day to work. This is the first time it's gotten to us though it's not the first time to be that way.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

77°/99°/75°
Plenty of sunshine. Hot. Heat index near 105F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.
Ju,
If people would watch what they open and get a good a program like McAfee or some other, they might not get a virus. Oh well, their loss is your gain.

Will,
Some of your bulbs might be small. I'll bet they all bloom next year.
We have a curfew and it's being enforced right now after bb gun vandalism. By all means, call the cops!

It does look like the heat and a bit of filtered dsun is getting your leaves :o( They'll be alright next year.
Your tree migh have it's tap root cramped too. I think it should be put in the ground.

Pepper,
I hope you had reason to go in the freezer occasionally, LOL. Heat sick is no fun tho. Nibble on something and drink plain water. Pop or juice or tea will make you feel nausous.

Hot today! I'm dressed, finishing my cup of coffee and will be out watering many many plants today that can't take another hot dry day :o(

I only drink water when at work unless I have a bunch of deliveries then I will grab a Fuze drink. It was just something about the store that was getting everyone. I felt fine when I got home and a coworker was fine also when she got home. But being at work was hurting us.

Had some friends over today. Had a water gun fight going on with the kids for awhile then they shot off fireworks. I will be headed over to one of the friend's house to watch fireworks in their town. Bad thing was some friends couldn't make it because their dog escaped yesterday when fireworks started going off. They found her beside the highway today and she had been hit. She wasn't in good shape last I heard so I don't know if she made it or not. I'm hoping they managed to save her. I just texted a friend who knows what is going on to find out.

I hope it's the heat all the time but some were looking bad before too. I think it might be half and half or so because, for example, some Hostas in pots weren't affected this Spring when it was much cooler, (maybe a soil issue then on those). But now, even some Hostas in pots are getting crispy leaves I think because of the terrible heat. It's kinda like there is two things happening to their leaves, 1 is they turn yellow and eventually fall off and the other is they turn crispy and fall off.

I'd sure like to plant that Swamp White Oak but I don't have anywhere to plant it yet. I should probably try to find a larger pot for it in the meantime.

Thanks, I hope they all bloom next year too. They are pretty, I moved some clutter that was by them and swept over there so passerbys can see them all in purple. I might get some white Blazing Stars to mix in there. I have a photo of them 2 days ago. -

Today, I focused on painting the shed that old deck red. I fiddled with the paint sprayer for hours before it sprayed out some paint. Man, those sprayers are fickle or something! The settings have to be just right or nothing comes out! And then, the viscosity of the paint and water has to be in a certain range or it sprays out in globs. But, at least the shed isn't pink anymore! The photo was when I was about half done today, it's 95% painted now, there isn't any pink. But, after I thought I was all done, (and all the paint was gone), I forgot to paint half of one side, so now I'm not really all the way done, but it looks okay, it should stave off the city's lawn police. I took a photo of my progress. -

Yeah, you can't get enuff water in this heat. I've had a V8 V-Fusion, they are good! It's that commercial with Jackie Chan too. I like it where he swipes a redbull or something off the table and says "you coulda had a v8!", and slams down a V8 V-Fusion, something like that anyway! Yes, do be careful in the heat, Pepper. They say 104° tomorrow then 106° Sat., then down considerably after that, that'll be nice. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
Will

This message was edited Jul 5, 2012 10:07 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

75°/102°/74°
Plentiful sunshine. Very hot. Heat index near 110F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

Oh Pepper,
I feel for the dog.

Will,
White Liatris would look nice against the fence, and would draw attention to the purple ones. I really like the cut down box, the more I see it.
Yep, the red is better than the pink!

We get the boys for a long weekend and it's going to be too hot to play outside. We worked early yesterday and I spent the day sitting out and reading since the humidity was down. Me feet in a cold tub of water was pretty nice. The birds were at all the birdbaths all day!

The dog died I guess on impact. My friend thought she explained that but it took awhile for me to get it out of her. lol. But Holly didn't make it and her owners are very upset right now.

I stayed inside as much as possible today. I did have to push several loads of carts at one point but after that I only did a few carts one other time. Just too hot.

Yeow Sally, very hot there too!

Sorry to hear about the dog, losing a pet can be a bummer for awhile.

I finally got up the bravado to repot the Prickly-Pear. I remember I made this one in the Hawaiian Punch jug bottom at the same time I did several others for the Fall RU 08'.
It really needed to be repotted a long time ago but I've been putting it off. I finally did it, it's in a metal bucket over by the Liatris planter.

I bought a Carpet Sedum at Home Depot today, I hope it's suitable for a concrete succulent planter because that's where it's at! -

Here's my big old Liatris planter today. Thanks Sally, I have been looking for the white Liatris, I think I saw it at Walmart. Thanks for the compliment on my big rectangular planter box too. If someone ever makes one like that, I suggest you have a use for it right away. Believe me, it's not something you want to kick around for long! -

Here is my red shed, it didn't turn out too bad I guess, it could be worse, now I need to paint some white trim. -

I keep the birdbaths full here too, the birds just love it now.

One more day, they are forecasting 107° tomorrow! Then a bit of a reprieve for a few days they say.
Will

This message was edited Jul 6, 2012 8:42 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Carpet sedum does fine in containers. They will fill in and drape over.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Pepper,
If the dog had to be hit and lying on a burning hot road, I think instant death is better. It's a shame it happened. I feel for them.

Will,
The Prickly Pear looks very nice and very happy in it's bucket!
NICE succulents!
I think poking the white bulbs in now while you can see the empty spots would be a good idea.
Wow! The shed looks really nice! I actually like that color!

It's hot! Too hot to even sit out with the boys. We ran to a yard sale this morning and they found a box of toys. They're in there playing so I get a chance at the computer, LOL!

Thanks Sally, that Prickly-Pear is a real trooper. The PP was one of the 3 plants in Plantfiles that I made an entry years ago, it's a neat plant. It's cool that I've been able to keep that, it's a remnant of a big PP plant that I had many years ago. I may wait till next year to get the White Liatris bulbs, altho, if I saw them at Walmart I would prolly be tempted to get them this year.

Thanks Pepper, I hope the Carpet Sedum fills in alright, I hope it's not too much for that planter now. I'm gonna make another one pretty soon, a Sister is giving me some Hens And Chicks, I think I'm gonna put that in a deep glass plate that I found here, along with maybe one or two somethings from my concrete planter there.

Thanks, that shed looks a lot better than it did.

I'm glad the extreme heat has subsided for now, a few plants were getting toasted, I think one mighta bit the dust, just for the year I hope.

Is this some rocks or what?! -

Happ, I think this root sprout/cutting might be the only one that is gonna take. I cut all the dried up leaves off and left the ones that were still flattish like maybe they were being fed a little. -

Hi Crit, if your out there, do you want a barnacle covered crafty looking driftwood thing that we uncovered recently, they'd go good with a water scene, or anybody?
Will

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 4:34 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah prickly pear is a neat plant,THE YELLOW ROSE OF TEXAS.
I have one? the thing is "BEWARE of the hair of PRICKLY PEAR"

I just thought you might like that one(lol)

Haha, that rhymed, "beware the hair on Prickly-Pear!"! I even wore rubber gloves when I did that and still got one of the "hairs" in my finger. Being over 40 doesn't help getting it out, I can no longer see well up close anymore! I got a magnifying glass and it took about an hour of constantly looking for it, but I got lucky when I found it good, and I got it out finally. It does have a real nice yellow flower, the flower is worth having it!

Here was one of it's flowers from a few years ago, from that current one's mother plant. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well here's mine from last year; was it you about porch kitties?

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Oh, your braver than I, a Prickly-Pear on the deck or porch! Yours has a pretty flower too. I like your long-haired kitty guarding the porch! We love cats here too.
Well, back out to unload all those rocks in the yard for some cheap landscaping.

I got all those rocks put down in the yard, it looks okay for some elbow grease, here is a few photos of the job. -

I'll be working on getting some of my Hostas, Coral Bells, a Hyssop and more planted around that shed soon.

I'm trying to do more every day this year, I sure would like to get it all done this year.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, that looks great!!

Did anyone get any spit this past weekend? You know, the stuff they call rain but isn't enough to even call a sprinkle? I got enough to spot the dirt on my truck and that was it. So I call it spit. lol. It doesn't even show up in the rain gauge.

Thanks pepper! I want to get some soil now to go around that shed so I can plant a few things there.

I was going down I-35 at that time, in Kansas. I was on my way back Sunday afternoon when it rained for about 10 minutes. That area musta got a little more than here. A spit or sprinkle is pretty pathetic compared to what we need here. I remember when I got back I looked to see if the pavement or anything was wet, everything was dry.

When I was on the highway I even had the windshield wipers on high for a couple minutes. I remember when I was loading rocks Sunday afternoon it was even thundering, about 80 miles SW of Kansas City, in KS.
I even looked up and thought,"I better hurry, it's about to storm". Well, not exactly a storm there, but I think a yard of brown grass in Kansas would have been proud for about a day.

It clouded up today and humidity is up but no rain. I don't even remember the last time it rained here.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

65°/ 88°/62°
Plentiful sunshine. High 88F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.

Will,
I got a big laugh over your buckets of rocks!
Cool driftwood!

JU,
LOL!! I actually have a rose called The Yellow Rose of Texas. The originl was planted over 100 years ago by my Dad's cousin's Aunts.

Will,
How beautiful! After getting some in your fingers, I think I'll pass on the cactus...

Ju,
Nice plants! Love the porch kitty :o)

Will,
The rocks look really nice and the hostas arounf dthe shed will look real good!
Yep, do a little each day and it's a job done. I go out every day and do something.

Pepper, Laughing and crying over your ''spit.'' That is so sad and we aren't even getting spit on here.

We've done nothing but water, water, water! Yesterday, to give the pump a good work out, DH hooked the hose up to the oscillating sprinkler and watered the Rose Bed, two thirds of the South Peony and a third of a the North Peony. I watered other things in the meantime. My daylilies and phlox are saved! Not to mention all the other things in between. We will be dry till Sunday and I doubt we get rain then, but we could....

We're picking up all four kids and all four will spend the night. :o)
Grandpa filled two 15 gallon tubs with a little water for the twins to play in.

The guy down the road bought a cabin, so they took the 6 or 7 daylilies I had set out in the free pile, last night. I was so glad. Now I don't have to water them. I potted them up last week when it was so nice and kept them in the shade against the house. I set them out Saturday night.

It has been a wonderful cool week! More like June, and like it should be. I'm suprised I didn't have any plants die in the heat we had.

Well, a busy next couple of days again :o)

Have a rest everyone :o)

Sally, is that a tongue twister?! Wouldn't your Dad's cousin's Aunts be his Aunts?! I'm only being silly, you know how I try to be funny and all! lol The keyword being try!
I think we all have a pretty good sense of humor here!

Are you sure Sally?! Prickly-Pear is hardy there I'm pretty sure! Okay, don't be surprised if a pad shows up in your mailbox!

I vaguely remember it raining SOMETIME this Summer. I remember it filled my rainbarrel up, but it's been empty for a while now.

I definitely have enuff pots, I would like to propagate many of my plants like you do with the free pile, Sally, but the neighbors and city here are so uptight about "clutter", I'm afraid they'd see those pots sitting around as debris.

I bought a not cheap drill bit for cutting drain holes in a deep glass dish that I was going to use as a succulent planter dish. Will it work, anybody think? The guy at the store says no bit will cut tempered glass, is a deep dinner dish, tempered glass? I won't be able to return this bit after I open the package. I know car windows are tempered glass and storm doors but I don't know about dishes.

I got a clump of about 20 evergreen Hens And Chicks yesterday from my Sister. I don't know if she remembers it, but about 8 years ago I gave her one big one that I just bought for a dollar and she planted it, now she has like 200 of them. I remember it back in the day, I said, "you can have any plant you want, go ahead pick one", she picked the one I just bought. Here they are by the glass bowl that I want to drill. -

Thanks, you like the driftwood too, billyp? It came from a Virginia beach. My friend's Sister is a big driftwood artsy type. Now, I think if she was just as friendly, everything would be fine! That driftwood has probably been in a box here for 10 or more years.

Thanks billyp, for the compliment on the rocks, I need to re-arrange them a little yet. For example, that one side where the rocks are curved I think would look better if it was in a straight line.

I re-arranged them today, I started writing my post before I did it, here it is now, not much different, just moved over a little and in a straight line.

See some plants that lost their leaves to conserve energy? The leaves come back next year. There's my other cactus, it's a Chainlink Cholla I believe, it's a cutting plant from years ago.

Here is some of those 12 foot tall Sunflowers, right now they are about 12 centimeters tall! They grow fast, they got a lot of growing to do yet! I hope they have time!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Everybody disappeared again! Well, we got some rain, not much, but I think better than nothing. My plants are always up for some ine free rains. According to the 7 day forecast from the reputable channnel 41 here in Kansas City, unfortunately, the temps are going back up! - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast That usually changes some but that is HOT again! Come January, I'll be like, "wasn't it just 100?!".

I got my Spider Plant in a much bigger hanging basket, (it's up close), Spider Plants grow fast and it starts not looking right if the planter is too small. - That's my Asparagas Fern hanging back there, it's about 4 feet long. Like my big Christmas bells hanging over there. I don't think they look right, but I don't care, I like a jingle bell! lol There's a couple of my Hostas way back there, not doing to well, they kinda got toasted with the heat we had recently and all indications are we're going to have more! But, I brought them in the full shade and I'll water them good with some other plants that are there.

Little bees like some Purple Blazing Star! I took about 20 photos and oddly enuff this was the best one, well, the only one with a bee in it! That's the bee hovering to the left of the flower. -

This Blackberry start is hanging in there I think, I'm still waiting to see some genuine new growth. I believe that it's alive, maybe it's in a stage of trying to generate roots. -

I'm gonna go ahead and make some starts of stuff and start something of some free plants like a free pile, maybe even have plants for a Fall RU if we have one. I'd like to make some Blackberry starts for people if they take. I'm sure I'll think of other stuff to make. Here is 3 Rose Of Sharon cutting/starts. -
Will

We got some sprinkles here. Just enough to feel but not do any good. The cool temps felt good though!!!

My hostas are pretty much goners for this year anyways. If I am lucky they will come back next year. With the tree gone they are just frying in the sun and the heat isn't helping them either. Since we are in a drought I've been limiting my watering. I water the most important plants and I water everything by hand so that I don't use so much water.

Yeah, that wasn't enuff rain. Although Pepper, it sounds like you got even way less than I did. I was out and about today at the unemployment office and Home Depot and it was raining the whole time, (but not hard), my windshield wipers were on. I would like to be more conservative on water myself, but if I didn't hand-water when it's this hot, I'd have a bunch of dead plants to look at for a while. I think hand-watering is a pretty far cry better than running a sprinkler or sprinklers for hours maybe.

Here's another example of the recent heat taking it's toll, the Mimosa's have been losing dried up dead leaves by the pound! I swept up a big pile and that was just about a ten square foot area of the driveway. -

Here's a BlueJay getting a drink, this was yesterday, before we had some rain. See the squirrel down below it, they drink from it too. -

I got down low to get this shot, they are all over next to the shed, that is all dead Mimosa leaves, between the rocks and the shed was just dirt, (no grass or anything).

I put a whole bunch of bread and those little hard toasted Bagette slices in the front yard yesterday, I forgot the name of them, anyway there were a lot of birds out there and we have 4 cats and 3 of them were watching the birds..lol -

This message was edited Jul 13, 2012 9:05 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I kind of do hand watering myself,only the pitcher or gallon milk jug does most of it.It hard to get all that water to pour out of my hand(lol). That is no doubt less wasteful(especially if everything is mulched) than hoses or sprinklers,only it does take some time,doesn't it?
I put some water under one of my plants and had a butterfly and two birds stop in for a drink,including a dragonfly that seemed interested.
I forgot to say it is better than dead plants, much better.

Still only twice since may that it has rained here,it's beginning to get rather bad.Not so bad for me and my little garden as for many ,Only this is beginning to bother me and my own little world. So far the only flower still alive that I've planted this year is a peach -leaf Bellflower. That is not much of a success. I did pick twenty tomatoes this morning and finally a couple of watermelons have set melons.goood stuuuuffff!!!

I'm not watering anything except stuff I planted this year, lilies and bushes and trees. I have just under an acre of land here and my gardens are all over the place. Daylilies and peonies down by the road are on their own and a bunch of other stuff are too. Trees are hard to replace so they get laundry water. The rest get hand watered everyday. It takes me about an hour to hand water the stuff I water which also include a bunch of containers. It's not fun but I rather save a handful than lose all.

I found this Youtube video interesting. There are a BUNCH of how-to videos on propagating plants, just about anything on plants. I'd like to bone up on propagating some of my stuff, I have a few neat plants, anyway, here is a cool how-to on changing a Hydrangea's colors. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=M2ci_B4I8-8 There is tons of how-to videos on getting cuttings from so many common and regular old houseplants that you'd never think about as getting more for free. - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=propagating+houseplants&oq=propagating+houseplants&gs_l=youtube.12...0.0.1.5012.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1ac.F45TiEV0AbA

Dang ju, your hands hold a lot of water!

I think I might try to start a cutting from that dark red Rose bush happ gave me. I think people could probably have a ton more cool plants for their own yard with a little effort.
The thing about a lot of my plants, a lot are too small to get a start (or cutting) from yet, I have a few to try on though.

Hey pepper, maybe you could put one of those Dogwoods or Hazelnuts in that spot where that Maple tree came down?

I too know about the time consumed for watering with the hose! It usually takes from 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how much I forgot to water until I'm far away from them, then hafta walk back, dragging a hose (trying not to knock anything over), well, you know what I mean! lol

I have a dogwood that will go there. I saved 2 of them and gave one to my grandma. Mine is fully leafed out and the trunk on it is probably a good inch or two in diameter now. It's still in the pot which is probably why. lol. It will go in the ground this fall when things cool down. I need to cut my switchgrass back there too. It needs to be cut so it can be mowed over like regular grass. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.