Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: July 2012-Plants shriveling up already, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: July 2012-Plants shriveling up already

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of July 2012-Plants shriveling up already
shortleaf wrote:
Yeah, that wasn't enuff rain. Although Pepper, it sounds like you got even way less than I did. I was out and about today at the unemployment office and Home Depot and it was raining the whole time, (but not hard), my windshield wipers were on. I would like to be more conservative on water myself, but if I didn't hand-water when it's this hot, I'd have a bunch of dead plants to look at for a while. I think hand-watering is a pretty far cry better than running a sprinkler or sprinklers for hours maybe.

Here's another example of the recent heat taking it's toll, the Mimosa's have been losing dried up dead leaves by the pound! I swept up a big pile and that was just about a ten square foot area of the driveway. -

Here's a BlueJay getting a drink, this was yesterday, before we had some rain. See the squirrel down below it, they drink from it too. -

I got down low to get this shot, they are all over next to the shed, that is all dead Mimosa leaves, between the rocks and the shed was just dirt, (no grass or anything).

I put a whole bunch of bread and those little hard toasted Bagette slices in the front yard yesterday, I forgot the name of them, anyway there were a lot of birds out there and we have 4 cats and 3 of them were watching the birds..lol -

This message was edited Jul 13, 2012 9:05 PM