Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: July 2012-Plants shriveling up already, 4 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: July 2012-Plants shriveling up already

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of July 2012-Plants shriveling up already
shortleaf wrote:
Burdock sounds kinda cool, I see it is popular with moths. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burdock Thanks, yeah any "no" sign is good when they work. Solicitors would come to the door anyway. Maybe they'll come to the trailer when it is going down the road at 70 mph!

Blazing Stars like the water eh? I wish more of the plants that came up would actually flower, only 7 of the 20 or so Liatris in there are gonna flower, it looks like right now.

Eek! Going around the yard with a laptop! That hit me after I hit the send button earlier, she is going around the yard with her laptop! Thanks, that shows some dedication right there!

Life in a small town would be good, and not have to worry about crime or anything. Where I live only has 3,500 population but that's probably just because people only live here because they have to.
There is big cities just blocks away. Kansas City is in sight and the 4th most populous city in Missouri, Independence, is only about 4 blocks away. Where I live is like a growth on Independence, MO.
We had our mailbox smashed on June 11th, in March our doorbell rang at 4am. Last nite, the same hooligans that smashed our mailbox were back out there walking up the street at 2am, for some reason they are loud.
This time I was looking out the window for them, I was ready to call the police or something!

I don't know what's going on with some of my Hostas but I am guessing the heat is toasting the leaves. Here is a Sum And Substance that is disagreeing with the weather here. -

I have a pink Hollyhock from the seed packet of 'Royal Carnival' Hollyhock that I planted last year, blooming a nice pink flower, there was other colors in the packet but apparently only pink grew. -

Here is those getting messed up Elephant Ears. -

Even the Swamp White Oak that I grew from an acorn from Powell Gardens (Arboretum) is feeling the heat. Altho, it does that nearly ever year to conserve energy I suppose, it drops it's leaves. -

This 'Blue Angel' is feeling something. My uneducated amateur guess is that the soil is too alkaline. I used to think it was too acidic until I read that Hosta like it a little acidic. But other potted, (not as much alkaline soil perhaps), 'Blue Angel's aren't turning crispy from the heat, so I don't think it's that. They seem to be one of my Hostas that are doing okay with the heat. Sum And Substance Hosta doesn't seem to like it. I bet more northern states is more ideal for some of the Hostas. It's pretty northern here, but my gosh, this heat every day in the Summers is stifling!

Thanks Sally, I really like my concrete planter succulent dish, I put another bucket of rocks around it today.
Will

This message was edited Jul 3, 2012 7:09 PM