Summer clematis chat

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Coming from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1259448/

The group 2's are coming to a close with a few still blooming well but summer begins in a few days and so our chat continues about all clem's but especially on the group/class/type 3's that will be blooming all summer.

This is the end of Josephine for spring and I like the look of it as it finishes blooming.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Very pretty!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mine didnt do very well this year. I guess getting ripped off the trellis this fall did not make her happy. Well there is always next year. The rest are doing great.

Thanks, Marilyn. It does have perfect placement on that trellis!

Marie - some years some clem's just don't do as well as we wish they would and getting ripped from a trellis can be a major shock to the plant.

Now we have the end of the lupines, a few clematises like this Rituaal (far left) still going strong and Japanese irises in such gorgeous bloom. The photos were taken this morning around 6:40 so the lighting isn't ideal.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Glad to see the short thread. About the only part of the clematises left are the beautiful heads. It will be interesting to see if the ones that haven't bloomed yet still will. However, there are so far two first bloomers, so I cannot complain. Guess the only complaint was the great amount of insect damage to the petals. That never happened before. And boy, do we have chipmunks! Glad I started most of the caladium bulbs indoors. There's a tremendous amount of destruction from chipmunk or squirrels or peter wabbit. It is a good thing I planted my little heart out so there's enough to go around.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Louisville, KY

I am always amazed at the difference in bloom times betwen our gardens. My Japanese Iris are done> Lupines are said to not grow here so I can't say to much about them . I am going to grow some from seed so we will see how that goes.

Following pirls lead on another forum, I have planted out a couple of bags of Home Depot Dahlias. The large ones are now passing through 2 feet. They already have big buds.

We have had a sudden decrease in the number of squirrels and rabbits since our new neighbors have been on the warpath with the ones in his vegie garden.

Thomaston, CT

My chipmunks have multiplied! Pretty grape poppy......

Cathy/Marcia - are you still waiting for some group 2's to bloom. Last year a few did bloom for me in July because of the cold spring. I love the heads! Some are golden but Pauline is silver and so pretty. Insect damage on clem's for us is usually due to earwigs so I use Ortho's Bug Geta Plus. It kills snails, slugs and earwigs - a home run. I've never had a chipmunk here and the squirrels and rabbits haven't damaged anything so the best I can advise you to do is use Blood Meal to deter the rabbits but if you have hounds or they are in the neighborhood you might not want to do that!

John - I'm also surprised at the different times our plants bloom. I'd guess we're at the peak for Japanese irises but on the second go round for many of the lupines sending up smaller stalks but just as welcome. I should check the dahlias but I just finished with 8 hours of weeding and then mulching in the vegetable garden. Jack planted well over 100 onions (yellow) in addition to the many red ones he planted a few weeks ago. Tomatoes are looking good as is the broccoli, lettuce, peas, green beans, cukes and shallots. The local foxes in our town look well fed and that may account for the decrease in rabbits here.

Oh, no, Marilyn! From all I've heard, though they are sweet looking, no one needs chipmunks. The poppy fell apart in the breeze today as I watched. Nature is fascinating.

Another of my favorite JI's - Dark Desire.

Looks better this way!

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Great saturated color!

Thanks. I just love it. I took the same shot between 6 and 7 tonight while the irrigation system was on and I'm curious to see if it looks as good.

Louisville, KY

Beautiful

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeh Arlene, that second picture is better on my head. I did not have to turn it sideways so far...lol
The color is so pretty on the Iris, Is that one that likes moist soil?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Arlene, I really don't know what to expect as these last two plants have never bloomed before, nor have they ever grown so much. Both trellised, one has fallen over any number of times, and the other thinks the rosebush is the trellis.

The Ensatas are almost done, with just a few more buds to go.
And thanks to ID by Pollyk, we have a Louisiana Black Gamecock iris (second photo), the first time it bloomed. I learn so much from DG.

At least lilies and caladium bloom and sprout the same season they're planted, easier for short-term memory. I barely remember the picture of the clem I planted, just that they were a lavender/pink with pretty little marks around the center. There's a large plastic bag in the basement full of bags that held peonies, lilies, tulips, clematis and a few others. More than once I have felt ridiculous in the plant ID forum to find out that I did indeed do the planting, and there is a bag with a photo on it for visual proof. I know I need to photograph them and make a file, but I can't seem to find the time.

I haven't seen any four-legged wolves so far, but I'll take anything to get rid of chipmunks. I swear: some little chipmunk spread his seed all over the city of Stamford. It's like one of the ten plagues. I don't think there is a container in the yard planted this year that hasn't been tainted by a cute little chipmunk.

Happy gardening in this great weather!
Marcia

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166
Thomaston, CT

Cathy, stunning color on those irises.....

Yes, Marie, the JI's do enjoy moist soil.

Marcia - you can use dental floss to keep the clematises in place on the trellis. It's strong and nearly invisible.

That is Black Gamecock. I have that one and many others. They bloomed early this year and they were gorgeous, as usual. Photos of a few favorites attached. The white one is Edna Grace and Swirling Waters (a gift I love) is the dark one, then a collage.

If you took a photo of the clem you can post it and we can try to identify it for you. I agree that for short term memory purposes it's nice to have plants that bloom the same year we get them. It's one reason I won't buy Japanese irises from anyone but Greywood Farm, Among the owner, Darlyn's, introductions... http://greywoodfarm.squarespace.com/2011-2010-ji-intros/
or Eartheart Gardens...http://www.eartheartgardens.com/.

All I received from Greywood in mid April have already bloomed. Maybe it just shows I'm either impatient or too old to wait around three or four years to have plants bloom. My Eartheart order also bloomed this year. Instant gratification is sweet.

The photo I posted above is actually 'Greywoods Dark Desire'.

Isn't there any cure for the chipmunk problem? Seems farmers up your way must have something that works.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone, We just got back from visiting relatives and Trout fishing in Pa. My Niobe in its 3rd. year is starting to do well as you can see in the attachment. This plant was a very poor starter (the plants fault...not mine !!) I looked up "Niobe' in one of my ancient history text books She was honored as the Queen of Thebes, Daughter of Tantalus and there is no agreement on her mother!She married Amphion and had had 7 daughters and 7 sons. She made as terrible social Faux pass at a party for the minor goddess 'Leto' she mocked Leto for having only two children. Leto availed herself of Apollo and Artimis to destroy all of Niobes children. Apollo killed the seven sons and Artimis then slew the seven daughters with her bow. Niobe turned into a stone fountain to represent the symbol of eternal morning!(remind me not to talk so much at parties when Iv' been drinking!!) The Gods were a viscious bunch!!. So thats were this lovely clematis got its name! Lee.

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

Very nice Niobe and a wonderful trellis. Did you make it, Lee?

I'm not fond of all the murdering that went on with those gods.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Pirl, Yes I made the trellis. I have made a lot of it for my other gardens that I have now abandoned....sad,sad,sad. Gardening goes on and all is well now!! Each section has a diamond shape center I'm sure you will see the diamond in a pic sooner or later. Can you help me I.D. the clematis in pictures 1 and 3 ? Last summer I planted the compact Bijou (picture 3) and Fillagree, Bijou is a great color, both are small but vigorous.Fillagree bloomed earlier and as well but, I didn't get pics. I am in hoped they will be long blooming I have a few spots were they will look great! It has been very dry spring here,I hope everyone is enjoying summer. Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

Your trellises are wonderful, Lee.

Sorry, I don't know the name but hope someone will come along and give it to you. That shade of blue is very nice.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Interesting blooms in picture 3, Lee. Pretty color, and some of the blooms seem to have 4 petals.

Pirl, I hope you are not outdoors too much today. This weather is a big surprise for June, but it should let up tonight.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

n my last post I mistakenly I.D.'d picture # 3 as c'Bijou', it is really picture # 2! Here are a few more pics of the very compact c.'Bijou' I am having more Ear wig problems than ever before. My "Bug Geta" regular not extra doesn't seem to controlling them well. I have had this bag for 4 years and although I have kept it resealed and dry I think it is shot. I will go get a bag of 'Bug Geta Plus' Everyone please tell me what the clematis I think is either in last post may be,I think it is either 'Pearl D Azure' or 'Eimilea Plater' it is very vigorous and flowering heavily for a 2 year old plant. Robin, what clematis are blooming well for you currently? So, I made a planting map of all the new clematis planted last spring and early summer.......sure as He** wish I knew were it was! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP
Thomaston, CT

The only clems blooming for me are Gypsy Queen, & Omoshiro.....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This morning my Hanryi finnaly had a bloom, I quickly took a picture before the grasshoppers eat him. It is a small flower, but least I know I am doing something right with him. HL Young is still blooming and it makes the picture nice with the Center stage Coreopsis. My Daniel Deronda suddenly shot up the feet tall, and have 2 buds on it, I am happy with it. The S. Ptitsa clem had a bloom but the bugs chewd it up. It is very hot here and I have to water every day just to keep up. Stay cool, everybody. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

Lee - the color for the clematis in question is right for Perle d'Azur but Perle has five sepals, not four. I've never seen the other one you mentioned so maybe that's it. Bijou is compact! It's also lovely.

Marilyn - lucky you having two such beauties still in bloom!

Etelka - I'm so glad you got to see Henryi before the grasshoppers made breakfast of it. Love your photo!

Cathy/Marcia - I was out very early taking photos but walking across the black asphalt driveway was hideous so I came back inside for the day. I can catch up on sorting photos since this is prime Japanese iris week and I've taken almost one thousand photos so far.

I agree with Etelka - stay cool, everyone!

1. A portion of a JI garden.
2. Jackmanii has taken over the stump (now almost invisible) and has reached the green wire planter in the bird platform feeder.
3. The same Jackmanii with the lily, Stunning.
4. Mme. Julia Correvon. I am very pleased with this one and the tremendous growth in just seven or eight months.
5. Henryi surprised me with one new bloom today. Here I thought he was worn out from the fabulous display this year!

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Wow.....the clems look so awesome with the lilies.....love that light yellow one....the JI is a beauty as well.......

Thank you, Marilyn. I love that lily as well.

This winter I hope to get Jack to use the leftover copper piping to form a "tree" atop the stump and hope the clematis will climb up to give us some height there.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Pirl and Kiseta- My Henryi is in its second year, It had 9 large splendid early "old wood" flowers and one wilted stem. I used a pair of bypass pruners I had cleaned with Clorox clean up wipes to cut the wilt effected stem. The plant quit blooming briefly then started a lot of new growth without adding more fertilizer of any kind however, for the last eight days it has become a complete wilted mess! It hurts me to see it! It is my all time favorite large flowered type. I had another for eleven years it was grand also.I am going to take a picture of it in present state so I can share it with you all, I know we cant have everything but, I an so upset.
Lee

How sad for you, Lee. It is a problem with some clem's but I've found it happens here more with those in shade. I'm guessing you'll be cutting it back hard and then hoping for new growth, which you should get. No sense having a wilted mess of a heartache to torture you. I feel so bad for you.

Thomaston, CT

Went to WFF's sale this morning & came home with Diana's Delight.....

Very nice, Marilyn. http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/26673-product.html

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I guess there is some hope. I thought they were finished, but I found this lovely bud.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Thomaston, CT

Pirl, the sale brought the price down to $4.00!

Marcia - every bud is precious at this time of year.

Marilyn - GOOD DEAL! I did go out plant shopping but it was for a coleus sale. All were huge pots for $2.50 each. I ended up planting them in the rain and it felt great since our central air quit last night around 8 PM. Repairman is due to be here tonight. The only clematis they had at the nursery was a Jackmanii so I could resist without a problem.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Pirl, I will take your good advice with my c.'Henryi' I was going to cut it back and pick up ALL the leaves and clipping but, I was just going to keep it watered. I will instead feed with two shovels full of old sheep manure and even though it had 5 sterns I will give it 4 oz. of Epsom salts.Thanks for the encouragement and I do realize I get awfully emotional for a plant but, I do! Here is a picture from May It is a giant strain of Ajuja that grows under our Purple Weeping Birch.Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

That Ajuga is amazing!

Cutting Henryi back and picking up all stems and leaves (not for compost) is your best bet along with a drink of ES and manure or compost if you have it. Definitely mulch it to conserve moisture.

It's always disturbing and emotional to have to cut down a clematis, especially one you love so much (as I do). At least you'll be able to rejoice as new stems emerge.

Thomaston, CT

Love that weeping birch! Hope the a/c gets fixed quickly, Pirl, although I think the worst of the heat is over for awhile.....

Marilyn - our plumber got his guy to fix it and it was done by 8 PM and the house was cool by 10 PM - blissful sleep!

Thomaston, CT

Oh, lucky, lucky!

Yes, we are most fortunate to have the best plumber ever!

This past week I noticed a clematis in full bloom that I have no memory of having planted. It's at the left side of the Jackmanii by the compost bins. This photo was taken from the rear and you can see how good old reliable Jackmanii is out to take over the three compost bins and this surprise clematis is in beautiful bloom.

If anyone knows the name of it I'd love to know it. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.