Summer clematis chat

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I think my dad stored his dahlias in newspaper in the cellar, not exactly a basement. He always had good luck. He also could not have replaced the bulbs on his budget. In those years we made a career of saving and not wasting.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I still practice "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" I told my son, I could survive in a hard times, I used to help with butchering the pig, making sasauge, pluck chickens. The kids only know computers and Ipads. I hope we are not going any "worser" in this country. I still have my garden and that will keep me bussy. Good rain yersterday, I have a little break from the morning moscitous. Etelka

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Today I was clearing part of a garden to make room for a Burgundy Iceberg floribunda rose and had to remove a lot of the low growing, late blooming, orchid/pink/lavender 'Pumila' astilbe. Please let me know if you'd like it for postage. Thanks.

There must be 20 clumps so if you only want half of them that's fine with me.

Thumbnail by pirl
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Smitty is adorable.That is a great name. I am so happy that he is has captured your hearts. He had big "paws" to fill! We recently got a dog too. I was thinking of "Clemmie" but it was quickly vetoed by my kids.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I have cut back most of my type 3s except for Arabella. It is a nice accident that she is growing through the marigolds.

Thumbnail by bananna18
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I will take some Arlene if you still have them.
I still have a few putting some blooms. I dont know how in all this heat. I have been trying to water everyday at least some where in the yard and flower beds. But by the morning it looks like I never added a drop.

Anna - I like Clemmie but Jack felt it was too feminine. Often we just call him Sport.

What a lovely accident! No matter how hard we plan the accidents of nature are splendid.

Sure thing, Marie. Just send me your name and address. Does "some" mean half? Save those coffee grounds and add them to the soil for astilbes. They help hold water. Compost is also terrific.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Arlene, I'll bet he answers to "Here, Boy" too.

We had Astilbe, both red and white, in a front bed. It took me 4 years to remove it, and I still find it popping up occasionally. I think the white was the one that kept coming back, but I'm not sure.

On the other side, I guess our clematis is finished, but the July first time blooms were a real treat. I'll see if I got some good photos.

We put in our tall dahlias late, so they are no more than a foot high (unless they're really liking the rain). The short, smaller ones are about 18" to 24" and have just started blooming.

Surprise of surprises: I checked the container with the 3 coleus plants, the one missing the variegated sweet potato vine. Lo and behold, there must have been some roots left, because there are now three leaves poking through soil. I don't know if the coloration is the same.

And yes, it is raining here again, and it feels like it is in the 50s.

Marcia

Marcia,

He answers to anything and everything. We took him to a store today and I bought him a bed for the car. He had it destroyed within two minutes so I brought it right back and got a refund. He hasn't destroyed anything else so something in the filling must have caused the problem. The new squeaky toy is a huge hit with him. He won't allow Jack or I to take it from him.

The white astilbe grows so fast. I have all colors but the white is the one that grows fastest.

How odd about the return of the sweet potato vine. Just enough must have been left for it to survive. It leads me to believe it was a squirrel or a deer. The deer ate a lot of new growth on one tomato plant that isn't in the vegetable garden last night.

We have rain today and I'm not complaining one bit. We could use this for three days down here.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, I haven't been on DG in a while, so I've been catching up on all the latest posts.

Arlene, that puppy is toooooo adorable. I don't know if he has a name yet, but since he has a Cuban background, and he makes both you and Jack happy, might I suggest the name Mojito ;~)

I hope all is well in everyone's garden with this blazing summer heat we've been having. Annette

Thomaston, CT

Glad the rains came...probably saved my clems.....

We've missed you, Annette. Thanks, re Smitty. He is such a joy. Maybe we'll use Mojito for his surname! So many of us (and our plants) have suffered this long hot summer and we're not even at the halfway mark. Here's Smitty after his shower with me last night.

Marilyn - the last few days have been a blessing with the long, slow rain each day and night.

Thumbnail by pirl
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm glad you're getting some rain, and hopefully some relief from the heat. We haven't had any rain this week here, but they're talking about pop up storms today, and hopefully we'll get one at my house, LOL.

Smitty is too adorable, I'm glad you and your DH are enjoying the new addition to the family.

Enjoy your special day today, Happy Birthday. Annette

We've had nice rains and cooler weather, thankfully, Annette. Those 96 degree days are hard ones for gardening.
Thanks for the good wishes. I hope you get some rain soon.

We're probably overdue for a new thread by now. I'll start a new one now.

New thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273123/

Everyone is welcome to join us, lurkers or the usual group that congregates here. Please don't be shy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.