Summer clematis chat

Thomaston, CT

Loved the photo of baby & dog! I just finished painting a white rose....all you paint are the shadows!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Warsaw Falcon is doing so well, Lee. Interesting perspective on Piilu/Little Duckling.

Marilyn - I'd never have thought of it that way!

Here's Dr. Ruppel in his second cycle already: in bud June 27. I had cut him back seriously on June 1.
In bloom June 30.
Close-up June 30th. Maybe it's the heat but I don't think it's as large as it was in May. Has anyone else found that to be true?

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

This happened at our picnic today....have never seen hail like it....lasted about 15 min.

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

We had tunderboomers, but not a drop of rain yet. Etelka

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Robin Dog- This seems to be an very odd weather year, I am glad you were not hurt! did it rip up your clematis? hows about big leafed plants like Hydrangeas? It has been a terribly dry year for so many of us.
Here is a picture of c. 'Princess Diana' a very Zingy pink. I don't know if I like bright colors all that much!
The Plant is more vigorous and a lot better lower foliage coverage as summer goes on than my my other Texensis c.'Duchess of Albany' that I have grown for 319 years.
I would like to ask how many of us are having drought problems and were you live. Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

That's some size hail, Marilyn!

We haven't had rain yet either, Etelka. I wish we'd get some to break this awful heat.

Lee - I have both Princess Diana and Duchess of Albany and find them comparable but D of A shows more legs than PD yet I have many more flowers on D of A than PD. Our hydrangeas in the front, where we lost a tree that shaded them, are suffering some burnt leaves but most of the others are okay.

Pauline is about to bloom again. You can just spot some dark blue lacecap hydrangeas at the left rear in this photo. They are in a lot of shade so they don't ever show burnt leaves but there is one to the right, in sun, that does suffer more.

Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

My poor Dutches of Albany was over taken by the Jacknami. She struggled to get some sun. I see now that I will have to move her this fall to a new home.

Thomaston, CT

Lee, the hail was at my cousin's home, about 10 miles from my house.....he lost some pots of annuals.....only small hail was reported where I live, no damage to any of my plants.....my car, however, is dinged.....

Marie - The Duchess is no match for Jackmanii. She'll be happier in another spot.

Marilyn - I remember summer storms and hail when we'd be on vacation in upstate NY from the time I was a young child. My mom was always amazed at the size of the hail and our brand new '49 Chevrolet got its share of dings.

Thomaston, CT

Pirl, this was certainly a frightening storm....the hail came down for about 15 min., did crack a windshield on another car in the drive...I was worried about the windows breaking!

I'm sure! Mother Nature can be so frightening.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mother Nature sent a very strong storm threw south Jersey. They say it was a tornado with out the funnel. That is how much damage it caused. Power was out from Friday till yesterday and some are still without power. Trees down all over, power lines down. power poles broke in half. Nasty storm.

Very nasty. The news is filled with tragic stories about it.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Marilyn I'm shocked! We've been in LI for a few days, coming to CT Friday. How widespread was the hail? I'm glad it didn't hit your house! What a year!!!

Louisville, KY

I really feel for the storm and fire victims. Susan's daughter son in law and grandchildren live in Arlington. They have been without power since the storm.

We ordered a generator a month ago. The house was piped and wired for it last week , and it will be installed Thursday. Who knows when this extreme weather will end.

We are in the midst of a record drought here.

Thomaston, CT

Pam, the hail was from one cell...Sharon to Old Lyme, but the largest hail was Watertown & Cheshire....I hope Warren was OK....Time, I have a generator....saved me last June when linestorms took out my power lines for 4 days....saved me in Oct. when the blizzard knocked out power for 8 days!

Louisville, KY

Robin Susan and I discussed it for some time. I think the current extreme weather finally decided us. We were without power for 5 days with remnants of Hurricane Ike, nine days with an ice storm and 3 days after a straight line wind storm. it looks like we have had about the same experience.

Thomaston, CT

Yep....good luck!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Today not as hot but it is humid. I noticed the HF Young had some dry leaves and when I cut them of, also cut of two blooms. Almost cried, but I have brought them in and put them in the water, least I will enjoy them for a few days. Daniel D. is just keep on climbing, has a few buds on it. It is nice inside, eating some very sweet honeydews. Pirl, I red that the lobsters are very plentyful this year, you can eat some lobsterroll more often. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

It's hot here and I worked outside for three hours, finished my project, and now will remain in the nice cool AC for the rest of the day.

Clematis flowers do very well in vases, Etelka, so you can enjoy some outside and some inside during the hot weather. Your Daniel D. is doing so well!

How I love lobster rolls!

Thumbnail by pirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I just Googled the Lobster roll in Augusta, Ga, Only Red Lobster (chain rest) had it, 17.00 roll with chips. No thank you, I want some of the large fries with it, like on the picture. Yumm

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

We get Maine Lobsters, and they cook them for us at the grocery stores. Fairway's are definitely the best. My mouth is watering at Pirl's lunch, but I cannot complain, as last Friday's was 2.69 lbs and delicious. Lots of summer fairs around here have good lobster rolls depending on who is running the booth—if it is not a seafood place, wait till later. Lobster is more available here in the northeast, I guess, but still an expensive treat!

My little clematis in the bed by the front porch is finally in bloom. I WAS patient, and it has paid off with medium sized, lavender blooms. Just a few, but I'm confident that next year if all goes well, they will be in full array. And if we're still living here....

Marcia

It used to be that Red's Eats in Maine ( http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2959 ) was the best lobster roll with one entire pound of lobster in each roll but now so many places in Maine and, definitely Arnold's in Eastham, Cape Cod, have excellent lobster rolls that we don't limit ourselves to having just one on vacation.

Etelka - I seldom eat the fries because I opt to have the lobster bisque.

Great news with the lobster and the clematis, Marcia! I have one pink nameless one in bloom now on top of the Jackmanii that devoured the stump. Are you considering moving, Marcia? Would it be local or to another state?

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

I have to stick with clematis - I am allergic to lobster....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

So pretty!

Thomaston, CT

Very dainty flowers!

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Carolyn, I really like c. 'Roguchi' more every time I see a picture of it. What size are the flowers? I read 1 inch one place and 3inches in others. How long did your Roguchi take to establish? I am somewhat allergic to paying for lobster!!
Kiseta- My H.F. Young has also opened a few blooms and there seem to be a lot of buds that should flower in the next few weeks but, all bets are off in this weather! You must have to watch your plants closely and water all the time ! Even up here it was 71deg. and very humid when I left the garden at 8:30 this a.m.
I hope everyone enjoys their weekend! I plant to do a lot of sketching from photos and listening to records in my A.C.ed room. Lee Sherwood

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

It's birthday time again...Happy Birthday to Etelka. May all your flowers thrive and may your clematises bloom forever.

Thumbnail by pirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Pirl, I hope to have a cool day in the house, since I already watered everything. I tought I give my self a nice painted kitchen, I have planed on it for few years. Already pulled out the frig and the stove and painted in the back of it. That was two years ago. This weekend I will finish the job, I promiss. It is going to be a oker yellow, very nice color. My John Warren is kind of waking up, started growing a little, hope the grasshoppers will leave it alone. Now only the Ice Blue and the 3 Venosa Violacea have not bloomed yet. They are the last I have planted, I am just happy they are surviving the heat. Thank you again, Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

So you're celebrating by painting the kitchen? I hope you enjoy the work, the pride in having done it and will post a few photos to show us your birthday gift to yourself - they are the best kinds of gifts.

Enjoy whatever you do today, Etelka, and keep cool. You've done a fantastic job with your clematises despite the heat and the grasshoppers!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you for your kind words. I have been postponing this kitchen painting, but it is not a big job, my kitchen is 12 x 12 , it used to be a bedroom. It has a closet with a window, that is where I grow my orchids. They seem like like the east sun, they done well for me. I brought home one that somebody trown out, now I have 6 in different stages.
Today part of the painting is to use the blue tape around the trimm and to cover all the cabinets. Early in the morning, after my few cups of coffe will do the ceiling. This house probobly has 100 coats of paint, it was built 1947. Every time I am thinking of moving, I get very emotional, so I will just finish fixing it up and live here with all the city problems and the grasshoppers.

Thomaston, CT

Happy birthday! I need to paint also, but it's just too hot! Pretty clems, Lee & Pirl....

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday! And happy painting! I hope you saved time to sit and enjoy your beautiful and floriferous garden, you've earned it over and over again. I love your energy and creativity, and wish you great happiness when you view your successes!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, everybody, I just turned the computer back on, we had some tunderboomers, I am not to comfortable with the storm, I live under a 100 years old oak tree and its been coming down by branches, hope the large ones stay up there. The garden in holding on, water it every day. I am surprised by the clematis how good they look, also the hostas are looking well, hope I am not overwatering them.
Al my life I was able to do my own work, eccept electrical, love to paint and do some woodwork, only thing I have to many projects, sometime things do not get done. I promissed my self I will take room at the time and get rid of things and finish most projects. I have 2 more months off from work, hope to use my time well. I have seen my coworkers on a 4th of July pickninck, and got my Birthday song, so it was all well. Kids called and said the card is going to be late, but that is life, roll with the punches. Love you all and thank you for caring .

Thumbnail by kiseta

Sounds like you had a good birthday, Etelka, and that's exactly how birthdays should be.

Louisville, KY

Happy Birthday Etelka

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you, John. By the way my rose is growing but no blooms on it yet, I am hoping it is not to much shade for it. It gets sun about 11am-5pm, do you think that is enough. Maybe in the Winter I will move them to more sunny area. We had over 100 here for days, so we never know what is right amount of sun. Thanks again, Etelka

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Happy Belated Birthday. Hope the painting is going well. and the weather is co operating.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This morning I went out to water, so I also cut the shrubs and picked up the limbs, now I am cooling off and planing to do the ceiling first, already got the cobwebs . Everytime I go outside, my new neighbor (they are not working people) ask me for someting. I told him I do not lend my tools anymore, noone brings them beck. The last neighbor got hauled away to jail for Meth. I googled this guys name and he is a wanted fugative, . I am tired of this freeloaders, so if I am rude to them, I will ask Gods forgivness. I told the guy, you are on your own, I want to enjoy my time in the garden instead worry about his needs. Feel bad for the two kids that he and his woman are draging around, moving all the time. I am P>O> maybe I will pant faster. Etelka

Thomaston, CT

If he's wanted by the police, give them a call!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.