Summer clematis chat

Louisville, KY

Etelka
I suapect that will be enough sun. My rose only blooms in spring with a few here and there all summer

John

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

After watering this morning, I found a poor lonly Rebecca, I guess out of her missery she give it all, one flower. Etelka
I guess all this watering, I think my pink dogwood got frissky, have 3 blooms on it.

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

As long as Rebecca is still blooming and doesn't have wilt, you've done a fine job.

That dogwood is remarkable. It may be the only frisky thing happening in this weather.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

And around this house......

Ha, ha!

I dug up an area of Mother Earth irises and cut them back. Anyone interested in having them for postage?

Thumbnail by pirl
Taylorsville, KY

I would love having some of your irises, Pirl. They are very pretty. kim

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

We had some rain two days in the row, WOW, it gave me a extra hour and the half this morning to check everything out. I think I will move my trailing Hydrengea, it looks so terrible from being chewed up. But look at the good side, I will have 2 more spots for a sami-shade clematis, probobly in the Fall

Pirl, my mentor, how early can I plant the clems in the Fall, Brushwood said they are starting shipping in September. I think I would like the Princess Diana, and another simmilar clem, I think I have seen a blue one just like the PD.

I can save the Hydrengea, by moving it to the back 25ft trellis that I had some jasmin on, but they mislabeld the Confederat jasmin, gave me a Angel wing Jasmin, it is not as hardy, so last Winter I lost 2 out of 4. the garden in holding up, portulaca is not happy they like dry and I have been watering them to much.

PS the painting is going on good, done with the tall stuff, I thanked my son for a good job when he hang my upper cabinets. I had to hang on them for support and they held me up. He was laughing.

Kimmy - send me your name and address by Dmail and they'll be yours. They are lovely but I must have 100 of them by now.

Lucky you, Etelka. We haven't had rain and I'm hoping we get a day or two of slow and steady rain. Despite the irrigation system going on three times a week the earth is too dry.

If Brushwood is resuming shipment in September then it's fair to say that it's a safe planting time - just remember to water it in well and give it 3" of mulch and they should do fine. The climbing hydrangea (if that's what it is) would do best being moved as it goes dormant so that's probably November for you. The clematises could be potted up until it's time to move the hydrangea, then plant the clem's where the hydrangea was. I hope that nursery gave you credit for all the jasmine!

Good! I'm sure it made your son feel good to know he did a good job with the installation of the cabinets.

I've been out since 8:22 and the weather forecast said it was 67 then. They lied! I've been sweating all day.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Etelka, belated Happy Birthday, and as we used to say, many happy returns of the day.

First I've been on DG and able to read; regular computer has been down, and so am I. Too difficult to post photos.

We, too, were promised a shower, but I don't know where it is. This new, little clem is happy where she is with the heat. Everything seems to be happy with the heat except for the nasturtiums and me. The tomatoes are lapping it up! We no longer stake anything; we use trellises for all. I'd like to trellis a chipmunk!

We were in Alexandria, VA (DC area) for the weekend for a wedding. It was about 99-105 degrees, and everything was indoors. We had someone water plants for us, but everything was really parched when we got back Sunday night.

They said 70 degrees this morning, but it was much warmer than that. Arlene, you're just a bit older than I, but you've got lots more stamina (and probably more garden area)! I go out for 20-30 minutes, and if I'm working out there, it is too much heat, and I've got to go inside to the AC.

Marcia

Thomaston, CT

The humidity was awful today! But of course the gardens are bone dry!

Marcia - I left the tiny sprinkler running on low for a few plants I moved today (while I napped). They seem very happy now with more than two hours of water. It's either stamina or stupidity - I can't decide - that keeps me going.

They lied this morning and I think these weather sites are in on the conspiracy just to get us gardening. That lie goes with the "no mosquitoes" or "no chipmunks" or "low humidity". I did garden for the entire day of Monday in my fancy pajamas that look more like shorts and a tee shirt. Combined with my beach umbrella I did just fine. Thank God no photographers were watching.

Yes, Marilyn, it's dry here as well. When I went to dig out one plant I felt like I was digging into stone. Later I found out I really was digging into a rock!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Are you sure, Pirl, you have not been grazing on cloeus or Salvia??? I red on Wikopedia, that the Mazatec Indians in S Mexico used to chew the colelus because it is relaxing and Hallucinogenic (?) I hope my Getto neighbors do not find this out, I have a bunch of coleus in front, also my salvia is there too. Etelka

Louisville, KY

I must be grazing on the same thing.

I left a sprinkler on all night. I was working in another part of the garden and asked Susan did you turn that sprinkler on.

She said no it was on all night. The bed looks really good.

John

You'll know your neighbors found out about the properties of coleus and salvia if yours are missing one of these days, Etelka. I have not been chewing on anything - too busy watering, digging, moving and packaging plants. Now I almost have the urge to chew a coleus for dessert.

John - see that! We are the two who admit it but probably others have done it and feel as silly as you and I. Your plants must love you for the extra water!

After dinner I'll be collecting poppy seeds. Who knew life could be this exciting?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Pirl, you need to go on the comedy tour. You have me in stitches!

Gotta go water again.

I can resist anything but temptation so I had blueberries and peach yogurt for dessert. I'll save the coleus for when I get desperate.

All poppy seed heads, except for the most recent bloom, have been clipped. I could hear the seeds falling to the bottom of the container so I got there in time. If anyone needs any just drop me a note.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

You talking about poppys, these are poppys on the picture. This is my DN mother-in-law, growing purple flower poppys for bakery in Serbia. The police comes and inspects the pods for drug making signs, and on the end she sells the clean seeds to bakery. She has about 100 acres of it. It was beutiful when I seen it 5 years ago, it was blooming, light purple. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

That's a LOT of poppies! It must have been so gorgeous while it flowered!

Thomaston, CT

What a beautiful photo.....wondered where all those poppy seeds were grown! I removed a bunch of annual poppies from one bed....I didn't collect the seed, just crushed a few pods to make sure they'll be back next year....

For those with chipmunk problems - you may want to follow this thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9202500

Marilyn - I did allow a few pods to drop in places, on purpose, hoping they'll come back.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I am dancing the jig, my painting is done and it is raining very good. There is hope for my garden. Etelka

Wonderful. Keep on dancing.

We're happy with our new arrival but he needs a name! I figured my clematis friends could help select a name. Lefty? Rocky? L.C.? Hawkeye? or choose another name.

Thumbnail by pirl

Or Clem?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I think Clem is grate...

Thomaston, CT

Oh, my! Isn't he precious! What's the breed? That may help choose a name, but I'm partial to Clem......

Thanks, Etelka. I liked that one best. I'm still getting in votes from friends near and far.

He's so good. He doesn't need a leash outside and he's very curious. He moves around a lot so it's hard to get a photo of him sitting still. Here he is in the kitchen, waiting for his dinner.

Thumbnail by pirl

Thanks, Marilyn. He's a Havanese - a breed from Cuba originally and related to the Bichon Frisee.

Thomaston, CT

I've seen Havanese at the dog show...they're lovable....well, a Spanish name might fit....

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

How about Fidel ????

Athens, PA

Arlene

He is adorable! I vote for the name Clem. What a cutie. So glad you and Jack got another puppy!

Louisville, KY

That is one beautiful dog. He has also just become one lucky dog. I am so happy for the three of you.

John

Thanks, all.

Very sweet of you, John. After dinner the dog laid down by Jack's feet as he watched TV and Jack fell asleep along with the dog!

We thought of Fidel but nixed it. Jack thought of Jose and I said Hose B. Then, because he's so black and white, I thought of Oreo. So far we haven't reached any decision.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Long time ago I had a Lhasa Apso named Chuleta, which means porkchops on Spanish. She was a very good dog. Etelka

The shelter is online so I checked for the first time this morning and saw they had a Lhasa Apso, a little lighter color than Harry was. My fear was that we'd expect a reincarnation of Harry and have unreasonable or unfair thoughts about a new Lhasa. This dog is ideal. He's been curled up at Jack's feet for three hours now!

(I'm winning the name game with Clem so far!)

Thumbnail by pirl
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

What a sweetie. Cheers to you and Jack for choosing a shelter dog. I think he appreciates you already.

(Zone 7a)

I have to pop in and say how cute the puppy is!

A friend of mine had a black and white dog she named Wuhby(wuh-bee). Wuh for white and Bee for black. I like Clem, too.

Taylorsville, KY

Congrats Pirl.....he couldn't be cuter and he's got it made now. I'm so happy for the three of you too! Look forward to hearing his name--I'm diggin Clem....kim

Thanks, Marcia. He is a love. He waited while Jack showered, sitting like a good little boy until Jack was done.

Celia - thanks. Wuhby is a cute name. My daughter called him Lefty immediately so we'll consider that as well.

Kim - thank you. He loves the house and investigated all the rooms. Now he knows his way around and his tail is almost always wagging. He loves being brushed and takes his five daily medications with gusto. Even his twice a day eye medicine isn't an issue for either of us. Now he's sitting at the door waiting for Jack to return from his morning walk that followed his walk with the new arrival.

Love that "diggin Clem" comment!

(The band-aid on Jack's arm is from the puppy across the street, not from Lefty/Clem/Rocky.)

Thumbnail by pirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My Jig dancing turned into a raindance, it rained again good 30 minutes hard, so I think I will survive this heat with most of the flowers intackt, all the clems are well.
I have seen this picture on the internet, a husband planted oak trees after his wife died, I think it took him 6000 joung trees to achive his dedication to her. That is love. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.