Summer clematis chat

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I would name her MIss Pretty. What a nice surprise.

Last week I bought a Bonefish Coleus and a Red Coral for about 4.99 or 5.99. When I checked out another nursery for the under the sea plants, they wanted 12.99 for a larger, nicer pot, but not one I can afford. It will be rooting and bushing out soon enough. Because of the impending heat, I rushed to get those and the additional coleus plants replanted (in containers, of course). Some of the plants required 2 waterings on Wednesday and Thursday. Most survived the heat wave except for the Empress of India Nasturtium.

Keeping an eye on the clematis bud, and I saw another this morning.

Thomaston, CT

What a beautiful color....looks like a raspberry!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'll search PlantFiles and some sites to try and get a name but now it seems to me it has to be a class 3. Time will tell.

Coleus prices certainly are strange and I don't want any two gallon pots of them (more holding over the winter is not for me) so I was thrilled to get the ones I did buy. I'll check my Empress of India Nasturtium today and see how it fared over the heat wave in a copper box along with other plants. One potted clematis, pitcheri, did suffer some browning of the foliage that ended up on the brick. I should have turned it so the foliage was in the garden. So far all the temporarily potted clematises are doing well despite the heat.

The crocosmias are taller than many lilies that normally hit 5'. It will be a fun July for photography. The Asiatics all seem the right height or much taller.

Marilyn - yes, you're right. It is the color of raspberries and all of our real raspberries are getting ready early with tiny fruits already.

Here's Eyeliner lily and it must be 5' tall this year.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Lovely, & tall for an Asiatic....Old Barn Farm (where my son lives) started a raspberry patch last year.....they are hoping to take some to the farmer's market in town.....

Raspberries command good prices around here. The problem is not eating them as they're picked. Often they become my breakfast in the garden.

Marcia - My Empress of India Nasturtium did survive the heat.

Thumbnail by pirl
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Your Empress looks lovely. The Empress and Mixed Jewel were the same size when they started out, and I have a feeling that the chipmunks did a number on it. I always purchase both, and Empress of India always stays smaller. I am surprised that it still has blooms, so I will keep an eye on it. I usually plant them ingroud, but this year decided to do a window box, and I thought they were doing very well up until last week. So well, in fact, that the leaves are larger than I've ever seen on the Jewel mix. I hope Empress will come back.

We have all been plagued by chipmunks. They have stirred up all my containers with soft soil. I always use fresh potting soil and vermiculite in containers, and it seems to make it easy for them to go after my bulbs even when nothing has sprouted. They have probably ruined about one third of the callas, have disturbed every celosia. They don't (so far) seem to go after plants in garden soil. It was suggested on another thread that I get some milorganite, so that is job number one tomorrow. There were 3 Hilo Beauty corms planted with Miss Muffett in March, and the chipmunks will not leave it alone!

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166

Would a zillion mouse traps work to catch them? I have no idea what to use for bait.

More brand new buds on the cut back Dr. Ruppel. If I could find the camera I'd show them to you!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Based on what I heard at the Garden Center, mouse traps don't work. They are very fast. And they are very cute....

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Someone on another thread suggested sprinkling black pepper on the surface after planting. I think it works... I kept forgetting and going back over places when I was planting most of my seedlings and mail order plants. Some areas were left alone, and I think the ones that were bothered may have gotten less pepper, or none. Now I have a huge container from Costco, so will be more liberal in my application in the future.

Pam

I can envision a thousand chipmunks sneezing!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

How about just sprinkling it all over the area that they are in ? I have some in my front bed , where they have dug a nice home under my slab patio.

Thomaston, CT

Thanks for the tip, Pam.....holes are throughout my gardens!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Black pepper did not work for my plants. And I also tried blood meal for peter rabbit, and that may have worked.

The Jackmanii devouring the stump (not the Jackmanii attacking the compost piles or the one that invades the lantern) now reaches from new growth at ground level to 6' high. I thought it looked especially nice against the Angelina sedum.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Wonderful color combo! The sedum you sent is blooming for me...looks great!

That's good news, Marilyn. It is a great ground cover.

Jackmanii continues growing and blooming at a very fast pace!

Thumbnail by pirl

Does your Sedum smother out other things? I have that stuff and I find it takes over, and I am afraid that it will smother my clems.

It's so shallow rooted that I don't think it's even capable of smothering any other plant. I have some by both Nelly Mosers and two Omoshiros as well as all around the disappearing stump with Jackmannis, an unknown pink, and Etoile Rose. I love how easy it is to remove!

Clematises should be well rooted down to at least a foot for three year old plants so I wouldn't worry about the top 1/4" of covering.

ok, then I will let it go to town like it is. I dont know about you, but if I drop it somewhere it grows there. It has just about gone all over one of my flower beds now.

Same here, Marie. I have to delete some, now and then, or it would cover the brick terrace.

If anyone wants some of it please feel free to come over and take some.

Thomaston, CT

I love it....I have an area outside my fence on the roadside where I grow DLs & sedums....perfect....

I posted this on the rose forum, but no one is answering. It looks like I have mealy bug on some of my roses. what can I do?

Try Google for an answer. I don't know what the solution would be.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I am doing the happy happy dance, Daniel D. is having a new flower, very blue, and the Ruutel is growing still some mini flowers but they are beutiful. Here it is 95-100 deg. this week, I am keeping the clems alive, thank God. Watering every day. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

You are doing so well, Etelka. They are both beautiful. The clematises are showing their thanks by flowering for you.

We have lots of sunshine and lots of wind along with a mild 75 degrees.

nice color, I am liking the reds I see.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone, A wile ago I submitted a picture of a lt. blue noid. Well, Now I Know! The fist picture here is same plant but with five Tepals and so the noid is 'c. Pearl De Azure'!! The earlier posted with 4 tepals were immature flowers or early flowers. At this point 'Pearl' is very vigorous, multi stemmed and developing many buds....all at 2 years old !! oh Happy. The 2nd. Picture is a Japanese Iris I grew from seed long ago. It was the only one that was double. It is very hardy up here and I have given away many plants from it. I once saw a splendis jewel tone blue Japanese Iris at Hamilton R.B.G. but it was unlabeled in a mass display and I havn't seen it since. Lord it was lovely! Lastly, In my June 22nd posting. I misidentified a weeping purple Beech tree as a purple Birch! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP
Louisville, KY

Lee
Thats a very nice Japanese Iris. I grew some from seed a few years ago ...but they all turned out to be the old blue.

Thomaston, CT

Both plants are stunning....

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Aha! Marilyn and I both have Long Island sedum :) All my clems are taking a breather but I see some new buds on the group 2 early bloomers.

Ha! I wonder how that happened.

The Duchess of Albany has bloomed so well and so early. I hope it repeats later this summer. Princess Diana is blooming but she's not as prolific for me as she is for others.Ville de Lyon keeps on blooming as do two of the three plots of Jackmanii. It has been a good clematis year...very good.

Thomaston, CT

Aren't we lucky, Weeze! Gypsy Queen & Omoshiro are still blooming, all others are resting....I hope. Drove down a side street in town today, & noticed a very pretty pink clem on a lamp post.....

Louisville, KY

Everything here is at a dead stop. We have had temperatures the last 2 days 102, 105 . Today is predicted to be 104. We did have a beautiful spring.

I'm at a dead stop here, John, and it's "only" 91. It's just too hot in the sun and fine in the shade but I'm almost out of shade jobs. It's a good day for a nap.

Stay cool, everyone.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

I saw where 1,200 heat records were broken yesterday...many in KY & TN.....

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Here in Ga too, 105 today, we broke the record. I am watering in the morning and some at evening . Hope next week will get some rain like they promissed. The kids where here with my Dinlaw and I have finnaly got my stepping stones done in mosaic. They where having a good time. The second picture is my favorite, when the dog and the older GS are watching dad cuting grass. This is 11 years old picture.
My DDInlaw red something funny on the internet "Who ever stole our airconditioner, keep it, you will need it where you are going" This weather is just a test.
For some odd reason, all my clems are budding, that is why I am so worried about them.
Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

This weather has given many states huge problems with the severe storms.

What a precious photo of baby and dog! I love it. That's a cute quote, Etelka, that your DIL saw. Your grandsons look so happy and healthy.

One of my clem's budded up during the week and I was very surprised to see it blooming today.

Louisville, KY

Etelka ...those are some precious pictures.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Kiseta- That is a precious picture of the Grandson and dog. I miss my children and am always happiest when I can spoil my Grandchildren!
The first picture is my c'Warsaw Falcon' this is its second season and first bloom. She is producing lots more foliage and buds so I am in hopes she continues to bloom even in her youth!
The second picture is c.'Vitecella' I was sold to me as c.'Betty Corning' some time in the 70's but, I do believe it is the species. I certainly would be glad to hear anyone's on opinion on the the identity of this one!
The 3 rd. picture is a photo of c.Lil Duckling' that I copied in black and white because I paint and draw and reducing the photos to black and white to help see contrast better.
Have a great week everybody. Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.