Clematis chat: Success without effort

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh boy, all these pictures are giving me ideas! :)

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Kiseta, I think it is wonderful that you have the white Lady Banks rose! Please send a picture if she blooms this year. Being up north,I can't grow the banks roses but the few yellow ones I have seen while visiting in California I fell in love with!

John, I gathered from this group that S.A.C. was invasive as all get out! I only have the one and prune it to 2 foot as soon as the great majority of flowers is passed. So far they are not seen out of gardens around here. Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Greenesideup, I found it in Lowe's one year and I have been looking for a second one, but they are all yellow. They are done blooming, they are early like April. You can probobly grow them in a pot and bring them in in the Winter. I have seen that with camelias in Philadelphia, Ladybanks get very large if you don't trimm them. Here is my early picture. What is that white vine on your fence in the back of the picture??? Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats very pretty.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Kiseta- Thanks for the hint on the Banks Roses but, I don't have a place to keep them over winter. My wife and I are in South Carolina for 2 or 3 months and I know I won't find anyone who could care for the over winter.Some kind lady in Savannah, told me they bloom best on two year old wood? What have you found out about keeping them blooming well?
The white vine on my fence is Sweet Autumn Clematis. Here are more pictures of the plant. Have a wonderful late spring! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ok...I got lost for a bit....weeding and such. Got some answers to question....
HopeSue...the white fuzzy plant is perennial gypsophilla paniculata, Baby's Breath. Blooms for me in z5, June-Julyish. I love it as bouquet filler (48"), later when it's done I use Limonium latifolium...perennial statice (36-48").
Marie-kap....sorry I didnn'tget back to you with these suggestions til now.....ooops. Got some ideas for inbetweens on your roses and or daylillies. Some are perenns and some annuals that canbe direct seeded (annuals), mine are going in this week, so it's not too late. Campanula glomerata, persicifolia, and or C.p. Labelle (check this one out, very pretty. Gypsophilla Covent Gardens (A), annual poppies rhoeas Angles Choir Mix,book say 24-30" but I remember more like 18+". Nicotiana sandersae Heaven Scent, Very eve. fragrant, (I have seed). Lathus Knee High (sweet peas). Salvia horminum Claryssa mix. Cosmos b. Cosimo Collarette 24". Monarda h. Beramo 28". Nigella.
Now if you would like to see pix and read some info go to tmseeds.com (Thompsen and Morgan Seeds), great company and have ordered from them for years. Many you could get locally also at your nursery. Annuals do a great job of filling in until perenns get bigger making thegarden look full sooner, and seeds are cheap. Also think walmart has the gypsophila Covent Garden. Home Depot has the sweetpeas in a large pk for $3 ish.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are beauties

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the ideas, but what is that purple and white flower that looks like a daisy?

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Marie, that looks like one of the new double osteospermums, '3D Sliver'. They come in a pink and purple too.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great photo and plant, Sue.

Louisville, KY

Sue I have had no success with Osteospernums.. beautiful pictures any suggestions?

John

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I don't know John, I do nothing special. Some I pot up like I have this new '3D Pink' (below) in a pot but most of mine go into the ground. I have clay amended with some compost but many I see around town are in poor soil, so maybe they don't like anything too rich.
I often take cuttings too and they root pretty easy for me. I bright pieces of this one from my other garden when I moved, it's a favorite.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/245771/

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Marie...it is Senetti "Light Blue Bicolor". Sorry, I didn't mean to post it twice. first pix is a Senetti and an annual Osteospurmum, And 5 is from my garden a few days ago, dwarf iris and JJs.
I actually grow two of the osteos. b.c. Lavender Mist and Purple Mountain (pix below). Z5-6, gosh thought they went to z8. Will be collecting seeds this year. from the annuals also.
Clems here are greening up nicely, found 3 the d*** had pruned for me, (darn things anyhow). Atleast they have time to grow before blooming, just got two new branches where the chomps are. Personally I'd rather do my own pruning!!
Found that I had lost Princess Dianna over the winter (will leave it alone as cross my fingers). All the other new ones planted last fall made it.
Speaking of vines, anyone else have Hydrangea anomala petiolaris (climbing hydrangea)? Please any info would be appreciated, just got 2 from Home Depot, have seen them from afar and loved, vowing to grow them for myself. Help is welcomed.
Sue thanks for the heads up on taking cuttings, how long and probably not from a flowering stem? More info please, lol. thanks.

This message was edited May 7, 2012 1:37 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Wishing Annette the happiest of birthdays and armloads of clematis blooms!

Happy birthday from pirl and Omoshiro.

Thumbnail by pirl
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday cem91

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Kathy - climbing hydrangeas: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1214238/#top

Thomaston, CT

My Omoshiro opened today...also a second one which may or may not be Miss Bateman.....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

Great Omoshiro, Marilyn, and a lovely (maybe) Miss Bateman. Those green stripes are like icing on Annette's birthday cake!

It would be so helpful if descriptions of clem's included a sure fire way to identify them.

Today I planted Elsa Spaeth (light lavender/blue) on the big white trellis in the rose garden. I hope she loves to climb because Niobe will never hit 8' here and my year old Walmart Blue Moon/Claire de Lune (I think) is blooming but she's only about a foot tall, if that.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Beautiful, Marilyn!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Happy birthday to you Annette, wishing you a great day in the garden. Kathy, my Climbing hydrangea has been blooming off and on this early spring. I like the vine for its foliages for the flowers aren't very showy. But I like 'em. Can't find a pic. now. A more colorful of a similar blooming hydrangea is this one. They're not at their peak yet, but this is a start.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A close up; (sorry about the OT everyone).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Last one of the shrub hydrangeas. All these do well under canope shade.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the birthday wishes Kathy, that cake looks delicious. Annette

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Annette, from one Geogian to another, whish you a sweet Birthday and happy gardening. You know me , I always think of food.Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Yummy, pecan pie, delish!!!! Thanks Etelka, I'm a foodie too :-) Annette

Happy Birthday Annette, sorry so late I just got home.

Athens, PA

Annette - Happy belated birthday!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Calif_sue - your purple clem looks like "The President". I have it - it is one of two I have and it is just now getting ready to open. TONS of blooms on it (and I dont do anything with it - but fortunately have GREAT soil). The other I have is "Lime Twist" - thought I lost it but I have 3 vines coming up that are now about a foot and a half tall. Very excited.

These pics are from last year - Lime Twist & President.

Glad I found ya'll - My clem itch is spreading :)

Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi
Louisville, KY

Happy belated birthday Annette

Gorgeous climbing hydrangea, Kim. It's really lovely.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from Lily_love :
Happy birthday to you Annette, wishing you a great day in the garden. Kathy, my Climbing hydrangea has been blooming off and on this early spring. I like the vine for its foliages for the flowers aren't very showy. But I like 'em. Can't find a pic. now. A more colorful of a similar blooming hydrangea is this one. They're not at their peak yet, but this is a start.

Please forgive me Arlene, the photos are those of shrub hydrangeas, and not the climbing variety. The vine hydrangea produces identical bloom, but they're white and has no color to it.

One of my climbing hydrangea's bloomed for the first time in 5 years last year. I am hoping for more blooms and for the other 2 to bloom.

That's even better, Kim. Then I'm not jealous.

Marie - at least yours blooms. I gave mine a new, sunnier spot, and it looks happy with a lot of new growth but no blooms.

Thomaston, CT

Hope your birthday Annette was a special day....gee, that Lime Twist clem looks like mine....I know that's not what I bought, but it came from a big box store & may have been mismarked.

I like that bit of lime on the sepal. It stands out so well.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Each flower only has 4 pedals and they are not that big.
Hoping to "get a little more" action out of it this year, but I will have to give a little more to get a little more I suppose.

Thomaston, CT

No, mine has a bunch of petals....

Try manure and compost. Epsom salt can help.

Clematises have sepals, not petals. It came as news to me when I first read it.

Thomaston, CT

That's true...the flower is the itty bitty center.......

Marilyn - did you compare your photos to PlantFiles? Here's the page:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/310566/

Scroll down to see the other 16 photos.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.