Clematis chat: Success without effort

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd put the clematis in the center and the smallest annuals you can find around the edges. Remember the mulch.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you, tonight us old bitties are playing Maxican train dominos and eating pizza, I guess our panting the town RED is over. Darn........Etelka

Have fun!

Thomaston, CT

Clem Ibi opened today.....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Very nice!

Wonderful, Marilyn. It's so nice and full. The dark center is so nice.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

The first one is the my Ville de Lyon. ,,finally it is blooming after 3 years. I had forgot where I had planted it. The second is hard to see, but the bloom is a dark purple. The first bloom was eaten by slugs. I am not sure of the name. I think it is the one I bought that never grew for 2 years, so I moved it.

Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap

That must be the most gorgeous Ville de Lyon I've ever seen. Good photo! I hate it when the earwigs get to the clem's before we can even spot them.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I bought 'snow queen' last night from HD.
How long does it take to grow a clem from seed? I have 3-4 different kinds of seed.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

'President' is HUGE this year! I dont remember the flowers being this big last year...

And 'Snow Queen'

Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi
Thomaston, CT

The clems are very large & lush this year....mild winter, I guess...very pretty colors....

Minne - I've never raised them from seed but John (timeinabottle) has. Maybe he can tell you.

Yes, as Marilyn said, all the clem's (except the very early ones) are larger flowers than normal this year. So many look almost fake but it's still a huge improvement over last year.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I replaced my broken off clem with a climbing rose. The cats can chase rodents all they want and this won't be damaged, I'm sure.

This message was edited May 19, 2012 4:38 PM

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

You didn't dig up the clematis, did you?

Dayton, OH

CalifSue, Love your Osteospermus, I have seen that flower in my area which is Dayton, Ohio Bev

Louisville, KY

Good Morning All;

Minne I have had abundant success 1 time in growing Clems from seed. I put the seeds in a pot after clening them and dthen put them out in a cold frame and forgot them. Some time a year later I looked in the frame and there were hundreds of clem plants. Since then I have had no success trying a variety of techniques.

I have been doing some weeding this morning. The temperature at the moment has reached 80 . Yesterday WE had a 90 degree afternoon.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I moved the clematis to a place in the border where I'll place a teepee type trellis (ordered on line, to match this one) when it arrives. I hope moving the clem root now didn't kill it and that it sends up a few shoots soon.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

John - seems Fate smiled on you the first time around!

Keep those high temperatures out there. It's 69 here and delightful in the shade.

Lee - good! Give it an Epsom Salt drink about once a week until you spot the new shoots. It won't need a gallon each time - a quart should do the trick.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the encouraging advice, pirl! Remind me - what does the epsom salt do for clematis?

For all plants the Epsom Salt drink creates more "basal breaks" = more stems. Around here greenhouses use it in feeding all their plants.

Chat continues here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1259448/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.