Clematis chat: Success without effort

Thomaston, CT

Just beautiful....

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think it is very nice. Lots of blooms , nice and full.

Louisville, KY

I wouldn"t kick that out of my garden. I think its beautiful.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My first blooms this year.
Omoshiro with heuchera
Hoooray for epsomsalts.

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful, Jo Ann!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pirl

Louisville, KY

I love that ge

Thomaston, CT

Gorgeous blooms, Jo!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Oh boy... I have Epsom Salts... Now all I need is Omoshiro... How beautiful!

Buy two - you won't regret it. Each flower is so perfect.

Thumbnail by pirl
Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone- I think I am a danger to myself and others! This was more embarrassing than any thing else.It Was the end of the afternoon but, I had a few tasks to finish. I was trying to carry a bunch of tools and supplies to a border so I wouldn't have to make extra trips or load and unload a cart. Among the supplies was an old and mostly empty bottle of fish oil fertilizer
I had under my arm. I squeezed by a shrub and the brittle old plastic bottle broke all to He**!! and ran all over my shirt and pants. I finished my task and headed to the laundry room only to be greeted by my wife telling me how awful I smelled!! I explained as I shed clothes, my wife couldn't figure out if she was mad or to laugh! She chose the latter and reminded me of a few other "interesting" things I had done over the years! She is a wonderful gal! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

Very funny! Pheeeeuuuuuuuw!

I was working on a rocky slope today, so careful to balance from stone to stone, doing a great job... Then at the end, I put one big foot down right in the middle of a clump of sedum. Grrrrr....

I'm sure we all have stories...

Such a sweet couple and such a nice understanding wife! That stuff does stink.

If the local cats start following you I'm sure you'll know why - LOL!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The epsom salt treatment is for all clems.Pirls recipe 1 Tablspoon salts to a gallon of water.

Thomaston, CT

Funny story, Lee!

Athens, PA

Lee

Love your story and your photo. You both look like such nice people, but clem people are the best anyway!

JoAnn - love your photos. You have such an eye for color and texture.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thanx

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My second Daniel Deronda is much darker then the first. I have planted some Angelonias and orange zinnias in front also some purple globe flowers. The second fllush of the Ruutel the flowers are darker and smaller. I guess she gave it all at the first time. My Hydrengeas are ok, they are smaller too and the shade is bitween purple and pink. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

OK, I'm getting ready to plant, and I have two questions:

How do acid-loving shrubs like Azaleas and Rhodies deal with all that manure? Or is it better not to use them as 'vehicles?'
How does Violacea Venosa look from a distance? I'm thinking of putting her in this box, on the far right in this photo.. South is straight ahead toward the house and barn, east to the left.

Oops, 2nd try on the oicture

Thumbnail by Pfg

Azaleas and Rhododendrons shouldn't have any problem with the manure. Did you check for color and bloom time first to be sure of a good match? I'd Google the manure issue to see what you find.

Any dark flower will disappear at a distance but with the amount of white in VV I'm sure it would be noticed.

Thomaston, CT

The gardens look great, Pam...you've been busy! Carolyn, JoAnne is a wonderful artist...her watercolors are just awesome....she has that great sense of color & design in her gardens...I've been able to visit them the last 3 Augusts.....

Thanks Marilyn, yes I have been busy!

Pirl, that's what I was hoping you'd say about VV.

I have a Purpurea Plena Elegans which I think is a good match for that poor skeletal azalea down below. It had been completely swamped by a huge climbing hydrangea that we hacked back last fall. It bloomed at the tips last year, that's how I knew it was there and decided to rescue it. We cut the Azalea back too, keeping only the strongest branches. The hope is that it starts to leaf out lower down. If not, good-bye. The clem will still be a good color for that area either way. It can clamber to its heart content in the hydrangea, which is already filling in some. I'm concerned that the hydrangea will gobble up all those nutrients the Clem is going to get, and eat the Clem too. So I've decided to plant it in a huge plastic pot and bury it and see how that goes.

Thumbnail by Pfg

Your gardens are gorgeous, Pam.

I'm sure sinking a pot with the clem in it will work fine.

Happy Mother's Day to all of us. As my friend, Bonnie, says: We're all mothers to someone or something.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi, whew crazy busy. Weeding spring cleanup still underway. Cruddy weather yet, even saw a few flakes yesterday as I was off the the Botanic Garden sale. Ya, it was a bit burry, we didn't stay long cuz it was windy tooo. Also made to the Iris farm to dig some new ones, usually they are in full bloom this time of year at the lower elevations but alas most were already gone so got a few that still had blooms, will have to get planted in a few days, more rain today and tomorrow. I not complaing but I wanted to do more outside plant shopping yesterday, oh well.....next year. lol.
Saw all the info above on the climbing Hydrangeas, thanks all, truely do appreciate it. What kind of trelllis or can I pin to the house someway? If I have to wait a few years for bloom atleast the leaves are lovely.
DRAT, those stupid ____, they ate the tops of several more clems. dogonit anyhow. Even pulled out one of the stems from a new clem. Anyone hungry for venison??????
Happy Mother's Day tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Home made is best, Happy Mothersday to all the ladies, but sometime your flowers are your babies and that is special too.We help them grow, we brag abot them and feel bad when the slugs eat them. Enjoy your day. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Happy Mother's Day. I hope that everyone has a great day tomorrow. Annette

Louisville, KY

I do remember mothers day at church yers ago. All would go to the alter and get either a red carnation if their mother was living or a white one if their mother had died.
Here"s to all you ladies who do so much for your children. Fixing Sunday dinner, ironing clothes , picking up after and Kissing the boo boos of life.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

Thanks, John.

I love venison..

Happy Mothers Day!

Thomaston, CT

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day....it was crazy here, but I guess crazy is good....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It was wonderful,just me and my daughters with GD .Lots of laughs.

Thomaston, CT

The best kind of day!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Has anyone else noticred that there are a lot more bumble bees this year than in the previous years? I am in Oregon so it might just be in this area. Sure glad to see them make a comeback. Go bumblers.

This message was edited May 14, 2012 5:29 PM

Thomaston, CT

Lots of bumblebees here but not any honeybees....Here are some clems that opened yesterday...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

BUMMER!

My white clematis that has bloomed by my garage for the last three years got broken off overnight. I suspect my two garden watchdogs (the cats Ruby and Jake) were chasing a rodent through the bed and bumped it. I've decided I'll move the clem (I'm sure the roots are healthy) to a place in the border and give it a trellis in a location the cats don't frequent. I'll put a climbing rose in the spot by the garage and, hopefully, it will be sturdy enough to withstand the foot traffic.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Dang

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

Here are a couple of my first blooms...Omoshiro and Firefly.

Thumbnail by koshki Thumbnail by koshki
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

That happened to me one year. My sons dog went behind the trellis while I had her tied out side on her leash and ripped it right off the trellis. But it came back strong the next year.

Robin what is the name of that red clem?

I am still waiting on my Omoshiro to bloom.

Gorgeous clem's, Marilyn. Love the colors.

Lee - that is a bummer. Like Marie's incident, I hope it returns better than ever.

Katherine - great photos and great use of that container to keep the roots cool. You'll love Omoshiro more with each bloom.

Marie - your patience will be rewarded. Does it have buds?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.