Clematis chat: Success without effort

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It was a wonderful Mother's Day here as well and even Mother Nature added to the joy of the day.

Blue Light
Blue Moon with Dr. Ruppel on the obelisk
Bourbon

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think it does Arlene, It is finally putting out some good growth. I sure want tone of those red ones. I have one starting to bloom out front, that I will have to take a pic of. I dont know who it is, but it is going to be a nice one.

Along with:

Crystal Fountain (excuse the black plastic to the right. Hopefully solarizing the soil will kill the dreaded Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' but we won't remove the plastic for another 16 months to be sure it's dead.)

Ernest Markham

Fireworks

Please post when it blooms, Marie.

Guernsey Cream also opened but my photo of it is awful.

Henryi opened, much to my delight. I love this one! That's Liberation around the corner.

Liberation - close-up.

The monster that is montana Grandiflora. Massive amount of blossoms.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Love those Arlene, especially the monster montana. :))

Thanks, Kim.

Multi Blue, Belle of Woking, HF Young and one whose name I can't recall. (It's been a long day.)

The second Omoshiro bloomed after the third one, which was devoured by earwigs. I did apply Ortho Bug Geta Plus but only after I saw the damage.

Here's Omoshiro with Nelly Moser and a self-seeded columbine that matches both of them.

Pinky - very nice this year. At first I didn't like it at all.

Reiman

The President - a really bad photo so I'll try again tomorrow if the rain doesn't arrive.

Last but not least...drum roll please...finally, after all these years of disappointments, wrong names and dead plants, here is Venosa Violacea. I only planted it in a pot in March (a Walmart purchase) and kept it indoors to try and get a bloom. Once in a while we are rewarded for our efforts! Going from a green plastic bag in March to a bloom two months later was unexpected and delightful.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Everyones blooms are just gorgeous. Arlene, you've got a blooming bonanza going on, I'm glad your VV is doing well from Walmart. Next spring, I'm going to have to pick up some clematis from there, I regret not getting Henryi when I had the chance.

Good news here is that we've a lot of rain over the last few days, and the weather has been cooler, which all the plants are loving. Durandii, Otto Froebel, and John Warren are all growing well and have blooms forming.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have done some bad thing this early morning, found the Bluestone website and ordered some clematis. They have some clems on sale, half price, I hope the co. is not on the bad list. Ordered Venosa Violacea, (yes Pirl, I got the same feever as you did) and with it the Ice Blue. From Brushwood I have ordered John Warren (my dad's and my Brother's name) and Madam Julie Correvan (my nieces name) Pretty soon I will have the whole family, missing a flower named after Eva. I think I should go back to bed, before this card start smoking. Etelka

Thanks, Annette. I raised the VV indoors in a Walmart self-watering pot and now I'm convinced I'll never raise young clem's in anything but that type of pot. They're all less than $5.00. Still quite a few to open but some don't get blooming until summer.

Etelka - I wish you luck with the clem's from Bluestone. They were my biggest disappointments aside from the disaster clematis co-op (NOT Koi's). I think there's a phlox named Eva Cullum that might have to do until there's a clem named Eva.

Here's a whole page, by Google, on Eva Cullum:
http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=phlox+eva+cullum&rlz=1R2GZAZ_enUS418&oq=phlox+eva&aq=0&aqi=g1g-K5g-mK1g-bK3&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.0.0j0i30l5j0i5i30j0i8i30l3.4032.7188.1.13625.9.8.0.0.0.1.2079.8687.5-2j3j0j2j1.8.0...0.0.RlldkXrsPEU&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=b33756a7ca49b63e&biw=1058&bih=513

Eva Foerster: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1R2GZAZ_enUS418&psj=1&q=phlox%20eva%20foerster&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1058&bih=513&wrapid=tlif133708580667110&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=9E-yT9vlCcOX6AGyt83TCg

Thomaston, CT

Pirl, your clems are stunning...I love VV, & may have to track one down! Marie, the red clem is Ruutel, I believe.....my tags got totally messed up, Marie Louise Jensen was the tag, but that clem is purple, I believe....

Thank you, Marilyn. More opened today but without sunshine they generally don't photograph well for me.

MLJ is a purple with a nice matching stripe on the sepals.

Thomaston, CT

Hoping she appears someplace else!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Lots of bumble bees here and honey bees too! Very glad to see them enjoying the nectar in the garden. Sadly the yellow jackets (wasp) are plentiful this year too! They are so annoying.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

"Countess de Bouchard" with one of the NoID blues peeking through. I didn't think it had intertwined, but I guess I was wrong.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Very pretty combo LG.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Lovely...

Slugs eating blooms, what do I do?

Soft and lovely, Lee.

Marie - here's your answer because along with slugs come the earwigs and this takes care of both:

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Pretty pastel clems!

Athens, PA

Arlene

can I get that at Lowes? I had a problem last year with slugs.

Not sure. Maybe HD or Walmart.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

President bloomed today!

Thumbnail by minnesippi

Such a beautiful color!

Oh wow, what a pretty blue.

Arlene I will look for that. I sure dont want to loose the new blooms on the ones that are blooming for the first time in a few years.

Tonight I was cutting back dead wood on a hydrangea and couldn't believe the amount of baby slugs I saw. Got my Ortho Bug Geta Plus and applied it to all hydrangeas, lilies, etc.

Dr. Ruppel is huge this year along with many others.

The clematises at the fireplace are blooming very well - HF Young, Mrs. Yuki, Ilka.

Last one is another HF Young with good old Belle of Woking.

Thomaston, CT

Gorgeous! And I love the deep blue on President....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

All so beautiful! Arlene, spring has finally arrived where you're!!!

Thanks, Kim.

Anna Louise surprised me with a first bloom yesterday. I hadn't even noticed any buds on it.

The size of the flowers, like this HF Young, is amazing this year.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Based upon all of your lovely examples, I concur with those who suggested my NoID is HF Young.

The first pic was taken in April and the second, taken on Monday show the 'real' color - the third photo, from this morning, looks off color - due to the sunlight behind and the reflected light from my red shirt and the surrounding flowers, To my eye, it's a dead-on match (7 petals, etc.).

Thanks for your help identifying this beauty!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Thomaston, CT

Pirl, your Anna Louise looks like my NOID....

Did you buy it without a tag?

Mine is in part shade so maybe that's why it's later than yours.

Marilyn - I did a collage and now they don't look like they are the same clematis.

Your center is much fluffier than mine.
My center stripe goes right to the edge.
Your sepals overlap as they emerge from the center where mine has a space.
Your sepal edges are pointed, mine are rounded.
You have seven sepals, I have six.

They are both lovely.

Thumbnail by pirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi everybody, we had three days of good slow rain and the garden looks good. Early next week I will get my new Clems and I was wandering if I wanted to plant one in a pot, how big should the pot be. Will make some trellis that will fit into the pot, but I was hoping to get big enough to not to have to repot after a few years. Thanks, Etelka

Then it would have to be a very big pot, Etelka. If you select a medium color pot and keep it in part shade it will probably do fine. Look in Walmart for their plastic self-watering pots and buy the largest one, less than $5.00, and be sure to mulch it very well - at least 3" if not more. The pot relies on you to give it water but I'd add water crystals, reconstituted, just to be safe.

Thomaston, CT

Oh, thanks, Pirl....now of course I can see the differences....I guess it is Kilian Donahue....

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I just received my Bluestone order, 3 Venosa Violacea and one Ice blue. They look nice and healthy, not to big and no buds, but I think I got nice plants for under 7 dollars each. I am planing to give one to my friend that has a nice fence to run it on and just started to grow clematis. I have to go get some more bone meal and look for some large flower pots to plant some in it. Still two more clems are coming next week from Brushwood.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

kiseta, what's joy! Happy gardening! I love all your clems. everyone. This one is for wwk. relating climbing hydrangea. See the humongous vine climbing up the base of my dogwood? That's my climbing hydrangea which is roughly 7-8 years of age. The potted plant in the front is Billbergia nutans if someone maybe wondering.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have just picked up a flower pot, 20" wide, I did not like the self watering ones, to bright colors, this will be nicer with black trellis. When I put the clem in the pot, do I put it in the middle or in one side that way I can plant some annuals around it to keep it cool. Some stores had nice ceramic pots but no holes in them. This one is kind of plastic and I can drill few holes in the bottom.

Thumbnail by kiseta

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.