CLOSED: DJ'S SEED ROBIN'S IN FLIGHT PT 3

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Shirley : I Bet that would be neat wish she could get a picture of that :)turkey :)
GOTTCHA MINNIE :)
TY TESSA FOR LETTING US KNOW .

SHIRLEY I HAVE NOT HEARD BACK FROM MECHELLE YET SO I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WENT OUT TODAY OR NOT . WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I HEAR BACK.

NF2932---December 29th.
BIGTROT --------JAN 23 RD
POISONDARTFROG------FEB 17 TH
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
PFG----------------------FEB 24 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND
GARDENSEEDER63-----MAR 6 TH
MINNESIPPI ---------------MAR 21st

I HAVE ADDED A COUPLE OF NEW MEMBERS FOR ON THE EAST ROBIN THEY ARE WIND & BLUESPIRAL
SO i hAVE TO ASK AMANDA & CRIS IF YOU CAN PLEASE WATCH YOUR DMAIL FOR I WILL BE SENDING YOU THEIR ADDRESS SO YOU CAN SEND THE ROBIN TO THEM HOPE YOU WON'T MIND.

SO IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A NEW GUESS AT THE ROBIN YOUR WELCOME TO DO SO .

HAVE A GREAT EVENING EVERYONE .

Upper Marlboro, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll go with Feb 13 with 2 new members..........more fun!!

Nyssa, OR(Zone 6a)

The robin is on its way to Minnesota from Oregon, shipped it yesterday afternoon. Will get you the confirmation number later today Susie, its out in the car and it snowed a little last night so I don't want to go out there in my robe =) So much fun to go through all the seeds. Occasionally had a little zone envy, but found plenty that will work in my garden.
When talking with the post master they are having issues with delivery confirmation tags falling off during shipping. I had a lost package for the Neck of the Woods swap due to this (luckily it did show up eventually). Maybe tape down the edges of the tag to help prevent this. Just an FYI...maybe it will save you from some Christmas shipping stress as well.

Mechelle can you please check in & let us know if the robin is going out today Please. ???
susie

good idea tessa we had snow flurries yesterday nothing stuck all gone this morning sunny but very strong winds moving in . have a great day all

NF2932---December 29th.
BIGTROT --------FEB 13 th
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi everybody!! Susie TY for squeezing me in...I'm still trying to figure out how it works and how many seed packets I need to have ready. And I'm a bit confused about posts I saw of people buying large boxes. Do we resend the same box or do we have to have a new box to transfer it all into? Your robin is quite active! I hope I can figure it all out before the bird flies to NJ :)

WIND DON'T LET THE POST SCARE YOU all the info is in the robin & will explain what to do so do not stress it is easy . as i said in the dmail just add what you can but try to have a few type that may not be in the robin already . there are many seed packs with hundreds of seeds in them just take out what you can plant . & seal it back for others to try.

well off to get some baking done ya all have a great day susie

Athens, PA

Oh Susie - what are you making this time?

well carol My Brother & I Have started our HOLIDAY Baking this year we can work together Not sure if that is good or bad yet will let you know after i get off the scales On NEW YEARS EVE.

Yesterday he made a Rich DARK CHOCOLATE FUDGE & His PEANUT Butter FUDGE I Made my FABULOUS FUDGE, & Also MY CHEX Party Mix 's two types so far.

we have two Bake sales comming up for a few Groups to raise money so we donate much of it there .
usually he baked at his place & I at mine Now we all live as one & Work together & It is Great .

well off to fix lunch soon so you all have a great day .
susie

MECHELLE ARE YOU OUT THERE Please give us an update .

Athens, PA

Susie

Sounds wonderful. I know last year, I discovered the bark recipes. I think I have my daughter totally addicted at this point.

WHAT IS THE bark ??? hOPE ITS NOT A PUPPY , YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION NOW :)

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Just checkin in to say hi to everyone. I've been here all along, just watching from afar. Its been in the 20s here last couple of nights after several days in the 70s and everyone around here is crying 'mercy'! But my plants are all put up and my cats sufficiently fattened up so I guess I'm as ready as I can be. Hope everyone is keeping warm and having sweet dreams about turkey and dressing and such. George

Athens, PA

Bark is candy....

Here is the one my daughter is addicted to. It is quick and easy to make. Since trying this recipe, I have started collecting other bark recipes....

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Cranberry-Almond-Bark

CAROLYN THANK YOU FOR SHARING :) going to have to try this one :) anyone else have quick & Easy to do for the holidays :)

you all may have noticed that I Added names to the one list so we can tell who is who is the robin for the new members who maynot have traded with us before . I Hope your all ok with it .

well it is that time of the night see whats going on in the world you all have a great evening

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you Susie, it is much easier to tell whose tree the robin is in.

evening all well still no word from Mechelle i hope she is able to get the robin back into the air tomorrow .
the robin is to fly to mrsspeedsgarden/shirley
well daaddy is wanting to go to bed so you all have a great evening

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Yes waiting for that robin here.
Carolyn I will try that candy bark as well. I host a cookie party each year and that will be perfect.

I guess Jan. 25th on the robins return home.

Shirley

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I understand one is on its way to me! YEAH! I am ready and waiting.
Snowed here 2" yesterday. Today I made 2 pumpkin pies and pumpkin bars from the puree I had left over from last years pumpkins. Pies are for Thanksgiving, but the bars are nummy - still warm too.

Athens, PA

Shirley

I would be interested in what you think about the recipe. I double the recipe when I make it.

Minnesippi - pumpkin pie sounds good! Bet it smells good too.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

between the pie, the pumpkin bars and the chili...wehw!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Steph- I have already eaten enough to survive the winter. HA! But I admit and not ashamed to say that I am looking forward to some rhubarb/strawberry pie and maybe a sweet potato pie for thanksgiving this week.

That reminds me that I'd better get across town to my favorite fancy high end healthy food store to see if there are any left. The rhubarb is a tradition I discovered quite by accident the first year I took that pie back with me to PA for our family dinner. My mom loved strawberries and tho' I'd never had rhubarb I figured it would still be HALF good. My grandfather and I practically ate the pie by ourselves. :D

Last year I had my first taste of sweet potato pie, and I am amazed that I have only gained 25 lbs since last spring (MArch 2010). I'll have to get back to the gym this winter. With my hand hurt this season I got to be a slug. Often can but this year can't joke that it's all muscle.

Have a great week everybody. My stomach is growling thinking about pie. HA!!!

A.

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I have not had strawbery-rhubarb pie since I was a teenager! Oh man, with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream...
Next year I need to freeze some rhubarb!

I have the strawberries if someone has the rhubarb we can meet & Bake :) hehe well it is starting out to be a sunny but cool day 28* here this morning . i hope to get my batch of sugar cookies made up wanted to do it last night but just didn't get to it .
well i do hope the east robin can get back into flight today .
ya all have a great day .
susie

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

We do talk a lot about food on DG, don't we? :D

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Alana I have not had strawberry & rhubarb pie since I got married and left home either. Just something I don't make I guess.

We have strawberry farms here and I like to go and pick strawberries but don't desire to plant them myself. I remember all the weeds I had to pull in the strawberry garden we had at home.

Sweet potato pies are my favorite but I don't care for pumpkin. Might as well talk about cakes to YUM...Black Walnut cake is my favorite and my Mom always made it for my Birthday in Dec.

Shirley

Athens, PA

Black Walnut cake sounds good. Shirley - can you send the recipe?

Have you looked at the recipe forum? There is a thread on fancied up cake recipes. I have tried some of them and they are really good.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/449839/

I would like that recipe too, Shirley, if you have it. I have black walnut trees and am always looking for new recipes to use them.

GM Black walnut is my dads favorite cake thats what he gets o his Bithday jan 25th & It seems as someone her choose jan 25th as for the robin to arrive home.

NF2932---------------DEC 29th.
MRSSPEEDSGARDEN ------JAN 25 TH
BIGTROT --------FEB 13 th
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND

WELL Still no word from MECHELLE yet as to weather she sent the robin out yet or not has anyone else heard from her.
this is not like you mechelle trully hope you can contact us soon to let us know if all is ok ,
i have added my phone # to the robins so that anyone can contact me if there computer goes out this way i can post on the thread for you.
lets hope we can hear something today .
as of now i'm going to pack up a few things we have for the bake sale so jim can take it over to the church waiting for daddy to wake yet he had a bad night. will check back in later when i can.
susie

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Robin landed yesterday!! Havent had a chance to look through it yet. I brought it to work in hopes I can dig through it :) Very excited!!

Athens, PA

Shirley

I too would like that recipe...

Thanks

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

There is a baggie with seeds (obviously -lol) marked "Mary Poppins"
Can someone please tell me what it is?

Hibiscus? Rhodi?

Thanks

Winnetka, CA

Minnesippi... I'm sorry... I don't know.. I wondered what it was also... I believe Susie may know as it was in the box when I received it. Nancy

oh ya know those might have been in from the seeds swap spring 2011 so they might be hibiscus would have been in the tropical baggie i think I just added all that was left if anyone whated to try them.

super in the oven then off to bingo you all have a great evening .susie

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Oh how exciting to hear there are other black walnut lovers on DG. My Uncle cracks me 6 quarts a year and I eat them by the handfuls.

Black Walnut Cake

1 Box White Cake Mix (Prepare as directed)
1 1/2 cups black walnuts chopped
1/2 cup black walnuts chopped extra fine
3 egg whites
2 1/4 cups sugar
7 1/2 tablespoons cold water
2 1/2 tsps light corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla

Prepare the cake mix as directed on box and add 1/2 cup of the chopped fine black walnuts.
Separate the batter into two round cake pans and bake per directions on box.
Combine unbeaten egg whites, sugar, water and corn syrup in upper part of double boiler.
Place over rapidly boiling water. Beat constantly with electric mixer for 7-12 mintues, or
until frosting will stand in peaks. Remove from heat; add vanilla; beat until thick enough to spread.
Frost half the cake and add 1/2 cup black walnuts to icing. Place the other half of cake on top and
use the remainder frosting to frost top and sides. I take the rest of the walnuts and press them into the icing
on the sides of cake and sprinkle on top.

I hope this makes sense....I don't write down alot of recipes just remember the way my Mom made it.

Shirley

Sounds yummy! Thanks Shirley-I will give that one a try very soon.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Our black walnut got a blight from tiny beetles that came I suspect from firewood. We just had to have the dead wood cut severely back :( The bark is peeling now too. No more fresh black walnuts here...actually the squirrels will miss them more than us I'm sure.

Athens, PA

Shirley

Thank you for the recipe!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> There is a baggie with seeds (obviously -lol) marked "Mary Poppins"
Can someone please tell me what it is?

It's Pratically Perfect In Every Way!

Plant Files lists a Daylily hardy to Zone 3, a Triumph Tulip, a tropical Hibiscus and a Rhododendron shrub hardy to Zone 5.
Four different genuses: Hemerocallis , Tulipa , Hibiscus & Rhododendron.

I'm sorry that doesn't narrow it down much!

Are Daylilly seeds big, black and round like Cala lilies seeds?
Maybe Hibiscus seeds are flat, brown and smaller?
The Rhodie was listed as a hybrid that wouldn't come true from seed.
Do tulips even HAVE seeds?

Corey

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

They are small black ball seeds...I didnt recognize them. Maybe someone else can figure it out. I am putting the robin in the mail tomorrow - I am done :) WOO HOO! Thought it would take me longer, but I went through all the seeds today at work (hee hee). The blessings of a holiday week I guess. But what will I do tomorrow? Oh yah...update my seed list! ;)
Deliv Conf # sent to susie already.

Stephanie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.