CLOSED: DJ'S SEED ROBIN'S IN FLIGHT PT 3

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

WE CAME FROM HERE :2011 FALL SEED SWAP PT 1
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1210221/#top

WE CAME FROM HERE :2011 FALL SEED SWAP PT 2
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1226307/#new

Well Our Robin is getting ready to fly within the Next few weeks so as promised the "FLIGHT PLAN IS" As Followed .
all I Ask is that if you see that you are going to be gone within that week that it is to land to please
POST & LET US KNOW We can reroute then send back to you.

ROBIN WEST ROUND 1

----LEFT THE NEST-------- NOV 7TH
-------------------------------------------------LANDED -------------TAKE OFF
# 1 NF293--------NANCY--------------------------NOV 9 TH -----------NOV 14TH
# 2 ORDAIRYGIRL------TESSA---------------NOV 16 TH-----------NOV 17TH
# 3 MINNESSIPPI---------STEPHANIE------NOV 21 ST---------NOV 22 TH
# 4 MELLEN1954-----MARY ELLEN-------NOV 25 TH-----------NOV 28 TH
# 5 MOMCAT-----DEB -----------------------NOV 30 TH--------DEC 3 RD
# 6 DIAMOND9192001-------ANITA------ DEC 8TH --------DEC 10 TH
------------------------------------------
SECOND TIME AROUND WEST TO EAST

# 7 IGROWINPA------- LINDA---------DEC 12TH------DEC 14TH
# 8 CAROLYN22----CAROLYN-------DEC 17TH------DEC 19TH
# 9 GARDENSEEDER-----SUSAN------DEC 22-----DEC 27 TH
#10 CRIS316--------CRIS--------DEC 29 TH-------JAN 4 TH
# 11 WIND--------DIANA-----JAN 6 TH-------JAN 10 TH
# 12PFG---------PAM--------
# 13 BLUESPIRAL--------KAREN
# 1 BIGTROT---------DONNA-----
# 13 AMANDAESQ------AMANDA-----
# 14 ANSONFAN--------GEORGE------
# 15 MRSSPEEDSGARDEN------SHIRLEY-----
# 16 POISONDARTFROG-----ALANA-----
# 17 DEEJAY9-----SUSIE------
---------------------------------------------------------------

ROBIN EAST --------------NOV 7 TH
---------------------------------------LANDED----------TAKE OFF
# 1 POISONDARTFROG----------NOV 9TH---- NOV 12 TH
# 2 MECHELLET--------------NOV 14 TH-------NOV 25 TH
# 3 MRSSPEEDSGARDEN---NOV 28 TH---NOV 30TH
# 4 ANSONFAN------------------DEC 1ST-----DEC 5 TH
# 5 AMANDAESQ------------DEC 8TH ------DEC 12 TH
# 6 BIGTROT-------------DEC 14TH --------DEC 15 TH
# 7 BLUESPIRAL-------DEC 20 TH -----DEC 21 ST
# 8 WIND-------------------DEC 23---------DEC 30 TH
# 9 -- PFG-------------JAN 4 TH--------JAN 5 TH
# 10 GARDENSEEDER------JAN 7 TH--------JAN 9 TH
# 11 CAROLYN22
# 12 CRIS307
# 13 IGROWINPA
-----------------------------------------
SECOUND TIME AROUND EAST TO WEST

# 14 DIAMOND9192001
# 15 MOMCAT
# 16 MELLEN1954
# 17 MINNESSIPPI
# 18 ORDAIRYGIRL
# 19 NF2932
# 20 DEEJAY9

**************GAME 3 FLIGHT HOME GUESSES************

. ONE Who Comes closes WITHOUT Passing the LANDING DATE Will WIN .

NF2932---------------DEC 29th.
MONKEYMOMR----------------JAN 15 TH
MRSSPEEDSGARDEN ------JAN 25 TH
BIGTROT --------FEB 13 th
MOMCAT--------FEB 14 TH
POISONDARTFROG------FEB 17 TH
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
PFG----------------------FEB 24 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 18 TH
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND
GARDENSEEDER63-----MAR 6 TH
CRIS316---------MAR 20 TH
MINNESSIPPI---------MAR 21

This message was edited Dec 14, 2011 7:58 AM

This message was edited Dec 14, 2011 2:58 PM

This message was edited Dec 14, 2011 7:42 PM

This message was edited Dec 17, 2011 3:19 PM

This message was edited Dec 22, 2011 8:25 AM

This message was edited Dec 22, 2011 7:58 PM

This message was edited Dec 27, 2011 12:10 PM

This message was edited Dec 27, 2011 12:46 PM

This message was edited Dec 28, 2011 7:56 AM

This message was edited Dec 30, 2011 9:49 PM

This message was edited Jan 11, 2012 10:20 AM

This message was edited Jan 12, 2012 8:52 AM

Thumbnail by deejay9
Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Does anyone have a trick for printing labels?

Three methods - see which you like best. I used the "table" method while I was doing this more often.

Now, I just print addresses onto white paper and use a glue stick plus Scotch tape or mailing tape to glue them down..

Always start with narrow page margins, like 0.5", to waste fewer labels. You might need to tweak the top margin to make the first row of labels "fit".

Word has a feature that is supposed to be "easy to use". That was the first thing I gave up on!
"Tools | Letters and Mailings | Envelopes and Labels | Labels | Options |
select Avery or other company | select your size of label "
Then good luck - I've never actually done it this way myself.

You could set up as many "columns" as there are columns of lables on one sheet.
Hopefully you can tweak your left margin and column widths to match the labels left-and-right closely enough.

Tweak the font size until 5-6 lines are just as tall as one row of labels. (12-14 point font?)
Then type on only 3 of the lines, allowing 1-2 blank lines between each label.

If it doesn't come out even, make the 3 printable lines whatever size is easy to read (12-14 points)
and then make the blank lines as wide or narrow as necessary to give yourself enough white space between rows.

"Format | Columns | Three"

Type in address text for one full row and one full column.

Set your Zoom to 100%, and hold the labels in front of the screen to see where the ink will fall.
"View | Zoom | Percent | 100 "
"View | Print Layout"

(Click on the page break until it shows as a real gap between pages, not run-on from page to page. Now you see the whole page as it will print, with margins. "Print Preview" may give you the same view.)

In order not to waste sheets of labels while tweaking the lines and columns to the right size, once I'm close,
I print the whole thing onto plain white paper, and then hold that up against the sheet of lables to see how close I got.

Indeed, you can print all the address text onto plain white paper, and then just use a Xerox machine to copy the addresses onto the page of labels. Kinkos would probably help at that stage. I had to do that becuase a sheeet of labels wouldn;t fit through the printer I had best access to.

"TABLES" are what I used to do until I got lazy and bought a glue stick and 2" clear tape.
But if you don't already fiddle with Tables, it's not worth learning it.

I make a "Table" in Word with the exact right spacing so that each cell in the table fits one label.
It's smart to allow a big margin between labels, so if you're off, the printed area still falls inside the label.
This example is for three columns of labels, 1.5" high

"Table | Insert | Table | 3 columns | 12 rows | Fixed Cokumn Width 3 inches"

(click anywhere inside the table)
"Table | Select | Table |"
(right-click inside the highlighted table)
"Table Properties | Row | Specify height | Exactly | 1.5 inches"

"Table Properties | Column | Preferred Width | 2.5 inches"

You can force each cell to have its own big margin if you want:
"Table Properties | Table | Options | set margins"
UNcheck "automatically resize to fit contents"
UNcheck "allow spacing between cells"
under "Table Properties | Table", UNcheck Preferred width" - that might make it harder to adjust column width.

I use the white-paper-and-glue-stick-and-tape method now.

Corey

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Corey - My "trick" for making labels is so stupid it hurts. First I start by buying a box of Avery #8160 labels. They are 1" X 2 5/8" size (30 labels per sheeet) 75 sheets to a box.

Then go to your Microsoft Word Processor, enter the Tools, down to Labels, then Label settings, enter the label setting for Avery 8160 and the format is already set up on the screen for you. I did have to premake a few different ones for my Save file to get the line format and font size just right. Once you type in the information you want it's easy to cut and paste or copy the text into other boxes, takes just a little time and patience to get it right.

I use mine to label everything from seed packets to addressing 100's of Christmas cards at a time. I can crank out my list in seconds. The Avery sticky labels are the absolute best.

Al

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I've seen your tidy labels on tomato-seed packets since my first seed trade here in DG.

>> Then go to your Microsoft Word Processor, enter the Tools, down to Labels, then Label settings,

That sounds like this one, only easier and simpler:
"Tools | Letters and Mailings | Envelopes and Labels | Labels | Options |
select Avery or other company | select your size of label "

My guess is that you have an older version of MS Word than I do - they only make things MORE complicated and harder to use. Mine is 2003.

I did try to use that feature once, then gave up.

I use "tables" a lot to make double-sided labels for seed packets (plain paper, no sticky side). Therefore it was natural for me to tweak one table to fit the size of labels that work was throwing a bunch of away (is that gramatical?)

I agree: once the template is ready, copy-paste takes seconds. I find I like to tweak each address to make the print as large as practical, and often change a state name to an abbreviation, just so I can make the last line bigger.

However, the printer I have free access to won't feed labels, they seem too thick for it. So I have to print a plain-paper version, then use the "Mahogany Row" Zerox to transfer ink onto the sheet of labels. Too much work: so now I use a glue stick plus tape instead.

Still, anything is better than handwritten. I can;t read it, let alone postal clerks or scanners.

Corey

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Wow! I've unleashed a torrent! I ended up using the Avery method. In Word>Tools>Labels, I saved an un-filled-out page as a template. Then from the saved page I can fill in each label separately, copying and pasting for as many multiples as I want.

Thanks for all the input!

Pam

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Great! Maybe some day I'll try that "Tools | Labels" method again. It might be easier than it seemed.

If I print one page with a lot of addresses, I always save that doc somewhere (or copy-paste that page into a saved doc). Then, when i try to remember who I sent something to, or what their adress was, I often have a copy somewhere.

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

It's he-e-e-re. I will report back when I have had time to open it. I would like to get it back out tomorrow but I will be working from dawn 'til dark so it will probably be Friday or Saturday.
It is raining and temps are falling into the 50's tonight so I will treat myself to a lovely Cappucino and a leisurely perusal of the box later in the evening.
Alana

Winnetka, CA

Hi Susie.... the robin has landed in Winnetka, California. Looking forward to the weekend with the seeds... I'll post again on Monday when I send it back out and make sure I send you the confirmation number... thanks for all the instructions ... they will be most helpful. Have a great evening everyone!! -:) Nancy

hope you find lots of goodies :))

NANCY THAT WAS QUICK I DIDN'T THINK YOU WOULD HAVE IT TILL THURSDAY.

WHEN ROBINS LAND ON "WEDNSDAYS " WE TRY TO GET THEM BACK IN FLIGHT BY FRIDAY OR SATURDAY
BUT IF THE ROBINS LAND ON A THRUSDAY TO CAN KEEP THEM TILL MONDAY .

IF FOR ANY REASON SOMEONE CANNOT GET IT BACK IN FLIGHT RIGHT AWAY PLEASE LET US KNOW .
HAVE FUN & GN ALL

The kitchen towel Susie sent said "simplify". That's perfect. I have been working toward that for a couple of years now. My family thinks I have gone far enough, but I've found that less really is more-more time, more freedom, more space.
There are some very nice seeds in here. I found a couple of commercial packs that I want a few seeds from so I am going to open them and put the opened pack in a little baggie to keep it together
I'm not sure if you meant to put in any seed envelopes or baggies, Susie, but I did not see any so I will add a few just in case someone needs them.
Time to get on the road but I will post and send you the DC when I get it back in the mail tomorrow or Saturday.
Alana.

Ty ALANA I'm Sorry thought I had put the zip;locks in for everyone to use so sorry guess i was in to big of a hurry to get them mailed . Hope you enjoy the towel did you take a card ??? dose not matter witch one just hold onto it till end of the robin .

MECHELLE & ORDAIRYGIRL Are Next will you check in please to let us know your ready for the landings :))))

ALSO If you would like a chance you WIN A Nice Give at the end of the robin take a wild GUESS AS TO WHEN THE ROBINS WILL LAND BACK HERE AT MY PLACE > all guess must be in by NOV 30th .

If your watching us for the fun of it Please feel feel to take a Guess . REMEMBER NOT TO COUNT SUNDAYS Or HOLIDAYS .. ONE Who Comes closes WITHOUT Passing the LANDING DATE Will WIN .

well good night all
susie

Susie, maybe you put envelopes in the same Robin twice. (that's something I would do,easily)
At any rate, the box is ready to go and I was planning to take it to the PO in the morning but I was just reminded that tomorrow is Veteran's day so there will be no mail.
I will get it out on Saturday, for sure.

Upper Marlboro, MD(Zone 6b)

January 23rd is the date that the Robins return to Susie.

New Providence, IA(Zone 5a)

My guess:

March 1

BIGTROT --------JAN 23rd
MELLEN----------MAR 1

Just waiting for the pies to get done last load of wash is about done then i can go play in my house in the dirt with a few seeds :)
ya all have a great day .
susie

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

My guess is February 5th.

GEORGE THE 5TH OF FEB IS ON A SUNDAY Ooops sorry for caps mail can not be delivered on sundays or Holidays so you must choose a weekday that the mail will be delivered :) try again please :)
have a great weekend
susie

I will guess 2/17.
I am not working today and will be taking the seed box to the PO as soon as it opens this morning. Susie, I will email you the DC number later today.
Have a good weekend,
Alana

Nyssa, OR(Zone 6a)

Been out of town this week. Traveled about 3 hours away to do "real" parent teacher conferences for my virtual online students. But, I'm home now and ready for the robin to head my way. Looking forward to adding the seeds I've collected and exchanging for varieties to try. Looks like Nancy in California is planning on sending it early next week.
Tessa

TESSA GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK YES IT SHOULD TAKE FLIGHT ABOUT monday SO IF ALL GOES RIGHT YOU SHOULD HAVE THE ROBIN ABOUT WEDS OR THURSDAY .

MECHEELE l You should have the robin on Monday .
Sure had a HOUSE Full today Everyone is gone once again so nice & Quiet here tonight & SO OFF To Enjoy it :)
G N All

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Sorry about the date goof- please change to the February 6th. Thanks

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I'll pick my birthday, 2/24. Probably too late, but you never know...

Pam

EVENING ALL just sitting here with daddy waiting for him to say he wants to go to bed then i can relax for the night ;) I bought me a new 2012 calendar & as soon as I go out to my place I will write these guesses in my book Ca hardly way to see who is going to be the winner.
well daddy is head back to his bedroom so you all have a great evenig will be back in the morning .
susie

BIGTROT --------JAN 23rd
MELLEN----------MAR 1
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
POISONDARTFROG------FEB 1 TH

Concord, NH

march 6th

Athens, PA

I'll pick DH's birthday - March 2nd.

GM All you early birds :) WOKE VERY STILL & SORE AS IF MAC TRUCK HIT ME :( but will work out the kinks then I Want to start a few seeds not sure what yet just to give color for the winter months will let you know as they grow .
let us know what your going to grow .
back later today .

BIGTROT --------JAN 23 RD
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND

This message was edited Nov 14, 2011 10:35 AM

Susie,
My guess was 2/17, not 2/1.

I'm hoping Mechelle gets the box today. Sometimes those Post Office predictions are a little optimistic.

Mechelle,
I have lost my debit card. The last time I saw it was near the box as I was preparing it, so I could have conceivably knocked it in there. If you find it, would you let me know?
There is no security danger at this point-I've already contacted the bank, but I sure would like to know what happened to it.

Thanks, Alana

Gottcha alana thank you for the correction :)
One day i gave my brother my card to go to town & Buy Our Lumber we needed He came home could not find my card he back tracted all his steps nothing so i went to my bank reported it cost me $5. to replace it then about 3-4 days later he got into his wallet & Found my card . so learned my lesson do not take card out of my wallet :) till i have to use it .

well coffee is gone so off to put up a few cuttings . ya all have a great day .

susie

Winnetka, CA

Hi Susie (and Tessa) .... the robin has taken flight again. I went to the post office during my lunch (literally just got back) and will d-mail you the confirmation number. I followed your very helpful directions. :) Nancy

TY hope you enjoyed playing :)

Winnetka, CA

Thank you... I'm having a great time with this robin! Nancy

good to hear Nancy also would you like to take a guess asa to when the robins will return home no matter witch one lads 1st as long as your guess is the closest . you will win a gift .
so get your guesses in just dont count sundays or holidays

Winnetka, CA

Susie... I'll guess December 29th. Nancy

I rec'd a note from mechelle the robin landed yesterday , she said the robin will fly out friday or sat but i have ask her to get it out by wed or thursday . the robin is allowed to spend 3 days at each stop. if there is a ILLNESS Or BAD WEATHER OR A HOLIDAY Then you are allowed a couple extra days . this is the way we have always run the robin so please if your going to be away when the robin is do to you let us pass you till you get back then you are welcome to have it sent back to you .but let me know .
well off to get my eyes checked forgive the typo's cannot see well today .
susie

gottcha nancy

NF2932---December 29th.
BIGTROT --------JAN 23 RD
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND

Nyssa, OR(Zone 6a)

Robin has landed in Eastern Oregon. Haven't had a chance to open it yet, but do plan on going through it tonight and having it shipped back out tomorrow afternoon. Its like early Christmas!

Tessa

Winnetka, CA

Tessa... glad to hear that it arrived safely! Nancy

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I thought I felt a Movement in the Force.

Corey

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I say 3/21...

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Yeah the robin should be heading my way shortly.
My Grandson had to decorate or color a turkey as a school project. His Mom called me today and was worried about what they could do with the turkey. I suggested she glue seeds on it and gave her all different colors and shapes of seeds. It turned out great and I hope he wins. We have a craft store here that makes flowers out of seeds and they are gorgeous.

Shirley

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.