2011 "FALL SEED SWAP" PT 1

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

WELL HERE WE ARE ONCE AGAIN TIME TO GET READY TO COLLECT & SHARE SEEDS ONCE AGAIN WITH ALL OUR FRIENDS :)

ONLY TAKEN UP TO 20 PLAYERS ONCE WE GET 20 PLAYERS WE WILL DECIDE WHEN TO START THE ROBIN.
POSSIBLE ABOUT 1ST OF NOV.

STARTING FRESH WITH NEW SEEDS THERE WILL NOT BE ANY SEEDS FROM PASS ROBINS , I PLANTED ALL SEEDS FROM LAST SPRING SEEDS . SO WILL BE COLLECTED FRESH NEW SEEDS .

HERE ARE THE GUIDELINES FOR THIS EXCHANGE.

PLEASE USE CLEAR PLASTIC ZIPLOCK BAGGIES YOU CAN PURCHASE FROM A CRAFT STORE OR YOUR LOCAL WAL-MART STORES CRAFT DEPT. OR I WILL ALSO HAVE THEM IN THE ROBIN FOR YOU TO USE .

(NOTE) NO HAND MADE PAPER ENVIES PLEASE, NO CLUE , TAPE OR STAPLED ENVIES .

FRESH DRIED SEEDS FROM YOUR GARDENS THIS YEAR , OR YOU MAY HAVE BOUGHT SEEDS THIS SPRING &
DIDN'T USE THEM ALL YOU CAN SHARE .

ON THIS ONE IF YOU WANT TO LIST WHAT YOU HAVE YOU CAN DO SO BUT IT WILL BE UP TO YOU TO SEND THE SEEDS TO THAT PERSON OR IF THE PERSON IS ON THE ROBIN AFTER YOU THEN YOU CAN ADD TO THE ROBIN WITH THEIR NAMES ON THEM .

THERE IS GOING TO BE A 3 DAY LIMIT OF THE ROBIN UNLESS YOU HAVE IT ON A HOLIDAY WEEKEND.
MAIL OUT ON "MONDAYS" WEDNESDAY" OR BY SATURDAYS .

YOU "MUST " POST WHEN THIS ROBIN LANDS & WHEN YOU MAIL IT BACK OUT.

ALL PACKS MUST BE LABLED AS TO TYPE OF SEEDS , SUN,SHADE, & WITH YOUR USERSNAMES

IF YOU HAVE 1000'S OF ONE TYPE OF SOME SEEDS SUCH AS AMARANTHUS'S YOU CAN PUT THEM INTO ONE
BAGGIE FOR ALL TO SHARE FROM RATHER THEM 10+ PKS.

NO MORE THEN 4 PKS OF ONE TYPE OF SEEDS DO NOT TAKE OUT 10 PKS OF SEEDS & PUT 10PK OF ONE TYPE OF SEEDS NOT FAIR TO OTHERS . IF THERE IS ALREADY 3 PKS OR MORE OF ONE TYPE OF SEEDS DO NOT ADD ANY MORE OF THAT TYPE PLEASE .

ALL SEEDS MUST BE CLEANED "NO SEED PODS" OR HEADS . IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS AS TO HOW TO COLLECT SEEDS I'M SURE WE CAN HELP YOU IF YOU ASK .

ANYONE THAT DOSE NOT RESPOND "WITHIN 4 DAYS" BEFORE ROBIN IS TO BE SENT TO THEM WILL BE BY PASSED . WE DO NOT WANT A LOST OR STOLEN ROBIN.
MANY OF YOU ARE KNEW TO MY ROBINS SO i WILL HAVE TO ASK YOU TO PLEASE SEND ME YOUR
MAILING ADDRESS . ANY P.O BOXES YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO PICK UP YOUR MAIL AS SOON AS
YOU CAN WE DO NOT WANT ROBIN TO SET IN PO FOR MORE THEN 2 DAYS UNLESS IT IS A WEEK END.

WE SAY THIS FOR WE WANT EVERYONE TO BE ABLE TO WINTER SOW THE SEEDS IF THEY WANT .
SO WE TRY TO SEND THE ROBIN ARROUND AS QUICKLY AS WE CAN .

SUSIE

HERE ARE A FEW SITES WHERE I HAVE BOUGHT SOME GREAT SEEDS IF YOU HAVE A SITE PLEASE SHARE WITH US .

http://seedrack.com/
http://sampleseeds.com/ VERY NICE GAL TO ORDER FROM
http://www.cherrygal.com
http://www.jungseed.com/dc.asp?c=192
http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=Hazwho
http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/2011/catalog.ht...
http://amishlandseeds.com/
http://www.seedaholic.com/
http://www.seedsofchange.com/
http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/

This message was edited Aug 14, 2011 12:25 PM

Thumbnail by deejay9

HERE IS A LINK TO HAVES & WANTS IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A LIST JUST NO CHATTING ON THAT THREAD
THANK YOU .

PLAYERS
DG USERSNAME ----- STATE-------NICKNAME

ORDAIRYGIRL----OR--
RISINGCREEK---CA--KC
POISONDARTFROG-----KY----ALANA
AMANDAESQ------NC
CAROLYN22-------PA
NF2932-------------CA-----NANCY
MECHELLE-T------TN
GARDENSEEDER63-----NH---SUSAN
MRSSPEEDSGARDEN----NC---SHIRLEY
PJG-------CT---PAM
ANSONFAN----NC--- GEORGE
IGROWINPA----PA------LINDA
MELLEN1954--------IA----MARY ELLEN
CRIS316-------NJ----CRIS
BIGTROT------MARYLAND------DONNA
DIAMOND9192001---IND----ANITA
MINNESIPPI ----MN-- STEPHANIE
MOMCAT--IND--DEB

PLEASE CHOOSE ( ONE ) THE GAME WITH THE MOST VOTE WILL BE THE ONE :)
ONCE ALL HAS VOTED THEN I WILL VOTE :) JUST POST THE GAME #.

Game Idea #1 Card Game

Deejay to choose "x" number of cards from a deck of playing cards. "X" being the number of players entered when the Robin starts. From the "x" number of cards, Deejay will choose only one card as the winning card and keep note of it. The winning card will go with the other cards in the Robin box. As the Robin box goes to each player, the player will choose one card as their card and keep it. At the end of the Robin when all the cards are gone and the Robin has been returned to Deejay, she will announce the card she had chosen before the Robin began. The player who has that card, will be the winner. Prize can be the remaining seeds left in the Robin box, or any other prize specified by Deejay.

Game Idea #2 Postcard Game

Each player will include with their package a postcard from the state they live in to pass on to the next player. You can attach a special pack of seeds, a candy, or anything else you'd like to attach to the postcard and include your DG name on the postcard. Just a way for everyone to have a memento of a different state. May be fun to post a picture as you get it as a way to notify you've received the Robin and announce when it will be going out. And see the different ones that have been sent out.

Game Idea #3 "Robin" Picture

Deejay (or designated other) to make a picture of a "Robin" bird and laminate it. The picture will go in to the Robin box and each player can post a picture of the "Robin" picture either somewhere in their yard or a special place of interest where they live. Example : "Here is a picture of Robin in my Coneflower beds in TN" Just a fun way to track where it's going, see that it's been received and ready to move on to the next player. I was in one like this last year and it was a lot of fun.

Game Idea #4 Dish Towel Game

This game will start out with DeeJay sending a brand new store purchased dish towel in the Robin box. (They have them at all of the dollar stores) When each person receives the Robin box, they will keep the towel that was put in the box by the previous player and put in the box a brand new store bought dish towel to send on to the next player. In the end, everyone will have a new dish towel. Who couldn't use one? This could also work with pot holders, etc. etc. But I think the dish towel idea is a fun one.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2011 6:46 PM

Nyssa, OR(Zone 6a)

I want to participate. This will be my first round robin but I'll have lots of seed to share by this fall.
Nickname:Tessa

This message was edited Aug 13, 2011 3:51 PM

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i would also like to participate. this is my first year gardening and i hope to have lots to share. i also have inherited my cousin"s garden so will be able to collect seeds there also.

Welcome Please give me a Nick name for you :) this is a fun way to find new & Different seeds for our gardens Plenty of time to collect & dry .

all i ask is that your SUBSCRIPTION Is paid up when it is time to start the robin so we can stay in touch .
there will be other Guidelines added just don't have the time right now :) but please sign your name or nick name to your post .
thank you
susie

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Add me, please.
Alana

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

everyone calls me KC or kacee or even creaky (cause i am old and creaky) doesnt matter. bought a test subscription on cousins advice and am going to get for a year. i love this site !!!! so many nice people on it.
kc

looking mostly for vegetables or drought tolerant perennials. really like daturas and salvias. will have to work on seed lis to let you know what i have to contribute. i did promise seeds to rick corey for the newbie seed thing but have many many packets of flower seeds, some tree seeds and will now be on the lookout for things to share.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2011 5:05 PM

welcome alana was hopping you would be back :) with us :) I have a Yellow Hollyhock like on your wish list after the rain stops i will take a picture maybe it is not the same but will let you see.

you will not be sorry KC we all love to share & Being your 1st time with our robin will try to help in any way we can .
I also will have many to share if you have a wish list you may post it ,

I would like for you to maybe try to put your list is the 1st post that you signed up on by editing if you will then
others can see maybe what your looking for & will share with you if they have it .

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Susie! Can I play too? :)

A.

Athens, PA

Susie

Please add me to your list. This was so much fun last year!

Carolyn

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Me too, I'd love to join in.
Dee

Winnetka, CA

Hi everyone..... I would love to join the robin.... have not participated in one before, how exactly does it work? Can you provide more specifics? I have lots of seeds to share..... Nancy

GM TO ALL & Welcome
Well Let begin by saying For the last 2-3 years I Have a spring & Fall seed swap I start with seed from my Gardens or & Some that I Have bought & Not used all.
I Put all in a box & should be enough for all to try if you wish .

all i ask is that you Messure out what you can use & leave some for others to try . this is an Honor system
those who do not follow the guidelines will be left NEG Feed back . & will not be let back in other swaps .

There will be a flight pattern as to who gets the robin 1st . I ask that you please keep track when the robin gets close to you My phone # will be in the Robin & If your computer is down & cannot post I ask that you call me
when it lands & give notice as to when it flys again.

I trust that all will enjoy the robin & respect the love that goes in these robin to share with others .
do not want old seeds.

this robin might start in Pa & go to CA or it can fly to CA & End up in Pa but it will go around to all .
you take what you want to try & share what you have as long as it is not all one type no More then
3-4 pk of any one type .

if you have questions please feel free to ask or see if it might be posted up top.
so start collecting .
''I will also post a couple of great places to find good seed deals if you find a spot to share with us let me know .
susie

I'VE Posted a few links for you all to check out

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

I'll add 3 of my favorite seed suppliers:

www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com
www.reneesgarden.com/
http://www.dianeseeds.com/

This sounds like soo much fun. I should have lots of cool seeds to share, but I want to make sure which ones, before I list.
Thanks, for letting me join in.

Dee

This message was edited Aug 14, 2011 3:14 PM

DO YOU HAVE THE LINK TO SHARE DEE ??

(to all ) Please be sure to check for changes read careful . forgive typing errors :)))

Winnetka, CA

Good morning all.... thanks for the explanation... it sounds like fun! I too love Diane's seeds and Renee's Garden seeds.... here are a few more you might like:

http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/2011/catalog.htm

http://amishlandseeds.com/

http://www.seedaholic.com/

http://www.seedsofchange.com/

http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/

Seedaholic is a lovely site with lots of information about cultivation, harvesting, medicinal & culinary uses and often some interesting historical info along with folklore... and select seeds offers plants as well as seeds. Nancy

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Please add me. Have lots of fresh seed I have been collecting from the nursery all year.

TY Nancy those are great sites . sure going to check them out .
also welcome Mechelle .

Going to add another guidline that is very " IMPORTANT"

ANYONE THAT DOSE NOT RESPOND "WITHIN 4 DAYS" BEFORE ROBIN IS TO BE SENT TO THEM WILL BE BY PASSED . WE DO NOT WANT A LOST OR STOLEN ROBIN.
MANY OF YOU ARE KNEW TO MY ROBINS SO i WILL HAVE TO ASK YOU TO PLEASE SEND ME YOUR
MAILING ADDRESS . ANY P.O BOXES YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO PICK UP YOUR MAIL AS SOON AS
YOU CAN WE DO NOT WANT ROBIN TO SET IN PO FOR MORE THEN 2 DAYS UNLESS IT IS A WEEK END.

WE SAY THIS FOR WE WANT EVERYONE TO BE ABLE TO WINTER SOW THE SEEDS IF THEY WANT .
SO WE TRY TO SEND THE ROBIN ARROUND AS QUICKLY AS WE CAN .

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Just wanted to clarify how this robin works. We start with seeds in the box and the box gets mailed to each player where they take which seeds they'd like and share some and send the box on to the next person? Do I have that right?

YES , PRETTY MUCH HOW IT WORKS , I like to tr y to have a NEAT CLEAN Robin when it lands Please have your seeds that you want to share ready to add to the robin . & As is stated if there is already 3-4 pks of the same seeds you have then please do not add them , & don't worry about adding to the robin or add something other .

I fill fill with as many type of seeds tht I have the next person will take what she can use & add any thing that I do not have in there . then it goes to the next right on down the line till everyone has had the box I may even send out two robins like i have in the pass . one starts in the East & will travel west & one for the west. that will travel east if you want but you do not have to sign on for both robins .

would like your input on it. with the Holidays & 20 player one box will take about NOV To Feb to get to end of the line . no matter what side the state we start at . so you tell me if you want two robins .

Athens, PA

Susie

I want two robins. I was very pleased with the second robin last time.

Carolyn

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Oops, sorry Susie. I edited my post to include links.I am sending my address, now.
Dee

It went very nicely didn't it ??? :))) & I Might even make another GAME Out of it :) well off to take a few pictures back later

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

I would love to be in on 2 also, if you decide to do another.
Dee

it will be on this same robin just making up two robins to send out one will start on the east side other will start on the west side & anyone on the east can also ask to receive the west & anyone on the west side can ask to go through the one from the east "Have I CONFUSED You all ??? I Hope not .

Just tell me if you want to go through both robins or just the one but i have to know by time the robins fly so just take your time to think about it .

I will let you all know what type of seeds that I will be starting the robins with before i mail them out
all addresses & INFORMATION will be in the robins .

Winnetka, CA

deejay9.... two is good for me.... Nancy

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I would love to do both as well. I think it would be good if everyone made a post when they rcvd and sent out. It would be fun to make some kind of game of it. I have a couple of ideas if you hadn't already planned something.

mechelle or others if you have ideas as to a game just dmail me your ideas & then we will choose one :))))

I will post the GAME when time gets close to sending the robins out well i'll be back in the morning .
susie

Mine is THE ONE WHO GUESSES THE CLOSEST DATE AS TO WHEN THE ROBINS WILL LAND BACK HOME TO ME .

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

I hope there are some sunflower lovers out there.Here's a pic my eight year old grandson, with a "sunzilla" head, that we cut this morning, to hang in the garage,to dry.
Dee

Thumbnail by DeeS
Nieuwegein, Netherlands(Zone 8a)

Hi Susie,

I would love to participate, please add me to your list.

Ana

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm not going to list seeds I am including at this time. A person I sent in seeds specifically for last year told me they did not receive them and I hate it when folks are disappointed.
I like surprises better anyway. I found some great seeds in the box last year that I was not expecting to see. I will look at everyone's "want" list closer to time for the Robin to start to see if I have anything that matches and if I do I will flag it with your name. Make sure you have your list updated in the next month or so.
Alana

Concord, NH

me too ,me too it was so fun last year! can i join please,susan

Concord, NH

on both of them?

ANA I'm so sorry but But we cannot send Our robin Outside of the USA so sorry .

Alana I agree really I was disappointed when it arrived home to see the disaray it was in & I hope that
this will not happen this time if so I will not waste my time to share my seeds with others .

So please update a wish list as to what you would like if you want to list what you have for trade that is good also . & you can send private dmail if you like . rather then listing here .

well i will be outside most the day so you all have a great day I will be back this evening .

susie

Oh susan good to have you :))) welcome Just let me know if both :)

Concord, NH

oh yes both thank you!

Nieuwegein, Netherlands(Zone 8a)

Hi Susie,

Good luck with your Robin! :-)

Ana

TY ana & I'm so sorry would love to have .
well if i can get these kittens off me Long enough I want to share a few Games that amanda has sent me & would like for you all to maybe choose one that we can play during this Robin .

This it will be best to post them up in the 2nd Post for you to choose from there is no hurry to choose for
we have till NOV 1st.or 15th .

so back in a bit with them Have a great day .

Sorry but daddy is not giving me time here this morning so I will have to do it later this evening
sorry have a great day . or maybe Mechelle can or will explain them then I will post them up-top later .
susie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.