CLOSED: 2010 UNUSUAL SEED SWAP ANNOUNCEMENT

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Forgot, I also have seed of dierama, again its hybrid and I have quite a few. I have a minature called dierama igneum, which is a minature, very productive and pretty flowers, this one comes true from seed and will bloom in 2 years. Let me know.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 8:35 AM

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

i would be interested in lucifer crocosmia seeds, any crocosmia seeds, and also the dierama and mini, sounds cute. :)

Pretoria, South Africa

I agree, Teresa. Crocosmias aren't readily available here in SA, and the same goes for Dierama. I would love some seed, rebeccanne.

Karen - I will harvest some seeds from the S. reginae an mail then to you, when they are ready.

Elsa

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey, somewhere in my seed collection I have a couple of packs of crocosmia 'Lucifer' and one of crocosmia 'Ember Glow' Anyone interested?

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

hey Marti001! If you are planning on participating in the swap we would love to have the crocosmia seeds included, along with the jewel weed you offered before, and anything else you might find :)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I just need to clear out a few packs of seeds. I have about 180 packs of seeds that I've received or collected myself and do not have the time or energy to plant them. I still have to get most of this 1/2 acre plowed or tilled. Which ever I can get someone to do for me. The soil is hard packed red clay and needs lots of amendments. Most of the yard I will not be able to plant for another year or two, so am finding homes for alot of these seeds. I will put together whatever I can and send to theresa for her so share with everyone else. Maybe next fall when I have better areas to plant, I can get someone to send me a few seeds.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Marti! Thats quite a generous offer. I, for one will be happy to send you seeds next fall!

Munden, KS

Deebie - I've got them marked for you.
Elsa - Thank you so much ! ! I'll send a couple of Surprise seeds for you in you packet from me.
Rebeccanne - I would love to recieve some of your Crocosmia seeds.Some of each Please !And could I get a packet of your Dierama Igneum ? Thank You ! !
Marti001 - I would be interested in what ever seeds you have to offer. And when the time comes I will gladly send you seeds or plants for your flower beds.

I Love how everyone is so generious (sp) .I wish I had more to offer. This is my first owned home. So I'm basically just getting started.On the way home from the post Office.I stopped by the bank(Which is no longer open) And picked some Zinnia seed heads. Large pink ones and small white ones. I know they are not unusual,but maybe somebody would want some.

Lazlo- I'm supposed to be recieving some Chocolate Daisy seeds soon. If I don't get them soon,I'll send them to you privatly.

Thanks everyone,Karen

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I can post a list of all the seeds I have, all 180+ packs, if you want me to. The are all in small brown paper envies, some in store bought packs and some in plastic bags. I will be keeping some of the seeds for my own garden, but can let some of the others go.

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Marti, I would love some Crocosmia too; especially if you have some collected from orange cultivars.
Thanks, Alana

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

please list them marti....would love to see everything you have.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Theresa,

Question for you.... Is this year's swap working differently than in the past?
When I participated before, you listed everyone's seed and then we sent you a wish list based on the available seeds. Then you chose who got which seed based on those wish lists. It looks like this year, people are marking seed packets for individuals by request (more like the "piggy swap") before they send them in to you. I'm happy with either way, but I'm just confused on what I should be doing.

Thanks for your help!
Danita

P.S. I'm not sure what I'm sending in yet but I do know I'll have Penstemon smallii 'Violet Dusk' if there is interest.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

This is the list of the flower seeds I have. I did take out the ones that I don't want to share.

Flower Seed List

Latin Name # of packs Common Name

Althaea officinal 1 Marsh Mallum
Adonis aestivalis 1
Amaranthus caudatus 4 Love Lies Bleeding
Amaranthus caudatus 1 Elephant Head
Amaranthus caudatus 1 Celosia Plumosa/fuscia
Amaranthus cruentus 1 Tri-color
Amaranthus cruentus 2 deep red/7ft
Amaranthus cruentus 1 Hope Red Dye
Amaranto 1 OIS Carmine/Gomphrena
Amopha Fruiticosa 3+ False Indigo Bush
Amsonia Hubruchtii 1 Blue Star
Angelonia 1 ?
Aquiliega/Columbine 5 Mixed colors
Aquiliega/Columbine 1 Raspberry/white
Aquiliega/Columbine 1 Mckana Giant/purple
Aristolchia elegans 1 Dutchmans Pipe vine
Armeria 1 Pink Sea
Asclepias curassavica 1 Scarlet milkweed
Asclepias tuberosa 1 Butterfly weed
Atlhea 1 color unk
Balsam 3 Pink
Buddleja davidii 1 Black Knight
Calalaria retusa 1 False Yellow Lupine
Calendula 1 Pot of Gold
Cardiopermum 1
Centaurea Cyanus 1 mixed colors
Centaurea jacea 1
Cleome 2 Rose Queen
Cleome 1 Purple
Cleome 1 Color Fountains
Cleome 2 Mixed colors
Confederate rose 1 Double
Coreopsis 1 Gold fink
Coreopsis 2 Lancelot tickseed
Coreopsis 1 Yellow
Corydalis Lutea 1 yellow
Corydalis orhroleuca 1 White
Cosmos 1 Single Sensation/mixed
Cosmos 2 mixed colors
Cosmos 1 Pink Dazzler
Cosmos 1 Picotee
Cretona Mezcla Arco iris 1 Coleus/rainbow mix
Crocosmia 1 Ember Glow
Crocosmia 2 Lucifer
Cypress Vine 1 White
Daylily 1 Stella D'Oro
Dorichos Lablab 2 Purple Hyacinth Bean
Eryngium planum 1 Sea Holly
False Yucca 1 Red Flower
Gaillardia 3 Indian Blanket
Gaillardia 1 Montana
Gloriosa Lily 1 ukn
Gypsophila muralis 1 Baby's Breath
Helianthus annuus 1 Sunflower/topolino
Helianthus annuus 1 sunflower 'Moonwalker'
Helichrysun B. 1 Strawflower
Heuchera 1 Coral Bells
Hibiscus 4 Mary Poppins
Hibiscus 1 Texas Red Star
Hibiscus 2 Texas White Star
Hibiscus 2 Moy Grande
Hibiscus 1 Sweet Hibs
Hibiscus 5 mixed colors
Hibiscus 1 Hardy Yellow
Hibiscus 1 Magenta
Hibiscus coccineus 1 Texas Star
Hibiscus coccineus 1 Cranberry Pink
Hibiscus coccineus 1 Hardy Pink
Hibiscus coccineus 1 Hardy White
Hibiscus coccineus 1 Hardy Red
Hosta 1 Blue Angel
Hosta 1 UNK
Impatiens 1 Dwarf Scarlet Baby
Iris 2 Japanese/Purple
Lavatera 1 Pink
Lazlo's mystery mix 2 UNK
Leonurus cardiaca 2
Liatris 3 Blazing Star
Lupinus polyphyllus 2 Mixed colors
Lupinus polyphyllus 1 Alaska/Shemya
Malva 1 Zebrina
Marigold 9 Mixed colors
Mimulus 1 Magic Blotch
Morning Glory 2 Star of Yelta
Morning Glory 2 Heavenly Blue/Blue Star
Morning Glory 1 Lite Blue
Morning Glory 2 Sunrise Serenade
Morning Glory 1 Pale blue/johns house
Morning Glory 1 White/prple stripe
Morning Glory 1 mixed colors
Myrrhis odorata 1
Nigella 2 Persian Jewels/mixed
Ochroleuca 1 Yellow Scaiosa
Ocnothera iindheimeri 1 Appleblossom grass
Papaver rhoeas 2 Poppy/red
Papaver somniferum 2 Poppy/special mix
Papaver somniferum 1 Lauren's Grape
Papaver somniferum 1 Pizzicato
Polemonium caeruleum 2
Portaluca 1
Rudbeckia hirta 4 Gloriosa Daisy
Salvia 1 Blue Chiquita
Salvia 1 Coral Nymph
Sedum telephium 1 ?
Sunflower 1 Grey Stripe/mammoth
Thunergia Alata 1 Blackeyed Susan Vine
Tithonia 1 Mexican Sunflower
Tricyrhs hirta 1 Myrazaki selection
Tropaeolum majus 1 Nasturtium/mixed
Tropaeolum majus 1 Peach Melba
Tropaeolum majus 1 Alaska
Tropaeolum majus 1 Tall Single Blend
Tropaeolum pererinum 1 Canary Climber
UNK flower 1 UnK
UNK Vine 1 lavender
Vitex 1 Chaste Tree
Zephyranthes candida 1 Rain lily, Fairy Lily
Zinna elegans 1 Purity
Zinnia elegans 3 Calif giant/mixed
Zinnia elegans 1 Peppermint stick
Zinnia elegans 1 Fruit Smoothie
Zinnia elegans 1 Exacisicel
Zinnia elegans 1 State Fair mixed
Zinnia elegans 1 Profusion Fire
Zinnia elegans 1 Profusion White
Zinnia elegans 1 Cactus mix
Zinnia elegans 1 Double Red
Zinnia elegans 1 Orange King
Zinnia elegans 1 Purple Prince
Zinnia elegans 1 Red Spider

2 Bachelor Buttons
2 Balloon Flower
1 Basket Flower
1 Begonia/Pink
5 Black Cohash
1 Buffalo Rose
1 Canna/Indian Shot
1 China Aster
2 Coneflower
2 Cypress Vine
1 Dbl Confederate Rose
1 Edelweiss
1 Formosa Lily
1 Hollyhock/pink
2 Lamb's Ears
1 Larkspur
1 Meadow Foam
2 Moon Flower Bush
1 Northern Sea Oats
1 Shasta Daisy
1 Siberian Iris
2 Silver Lace Vine
1 Spurred Butterfly Pea
1 Sweet Pea/pink/white
1 Twisted Leaf Yucca
1 Yarrow/red
1 Castor Bean
1 Pandorea
1 Shasta Daisy ' Becky'
1 Easter Egg Plant
1 Mexican Feather Grass
1 Red Clover
1 Moss Rose
2 Texas Stork Bill
1 Catnip

1 Unk
1 Scarle Cocks Comb
1 Sweet William/mixed
1 Mexican Hat
1 Evening Primrose/yellow

Plus I am collecting wildflower seeds and wild Morning Glory seeds of Morning Glories I find growing all over the place. I don't think all of the MG are wild ones some may just be MG that have been dumped and are now reseeding and growing wild. So far I have 4 different colors of MG.

Theresa,
I got confused too. The rules of the swap seem to have changed from your original posting. I'm okay either way, but can you clarify?
Thanks, Alana

Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Theresa - I can send several different MG seeds....

(I really have lots of seed here, so if there is something particular that you'd like sent in, just say. You can dmail me "I love suchnsuch *hint*hint*". Doesn't need to be a special arrangement or anything, and I didn't mean to contribute to any shifting of the process of this swap. It's just that I can pick what I send randomly, or a little less randomly. For example, obviously the Black Magic dianthus seems quite popular, so I'll send in more of that one instead of just 1 or 2 packs.)

I think many folks just were first trying to figure out if they had anything that might be worth sending, and then people said "yes I'd love that" and it started sliding from there.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 8:39 PM

Orangeburg, SC

Thanks, Kwolflady.
Rebeccanne, I would love to have some crocosmia seeds--Lucifer and hybrids are fine, although I really want some orange.
Marti, your seedlist is awesome. I'll wait for Teresa to request wish lists.

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I really, really want this one. If possible.
Amsonia Hubruchtii 1 Blue Star

I have lots and lots of the crocosmia lucifer, will send a bunch. However the problem with the others is they are still blooming so the seed will be for the next swap, I guess. I have yellows and oranges and some bicolor as well. But the seeds should give a good variety and will be fun. Most likely the Lucifer will be true from seed as it blooms and seeds before the other ones do.

Can send lots of dierma as well and found a few more cool seeds today. Will pack them up soon and get them in the mail.

I think I have seed on a plant a friend gave me, its a cuphea, I think its this one. Blooms almost all the time. If it is this, anyone want seed? If so I can go and check, it looked like seed but was white, which through me off, I am used to darker seeds.

http://www.almostedenplants.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=361

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone. Im sitting here chuckling, because I was wondering when someone was gonna say something about the posts. Its exactly what kilngod said: I think many folks just were first trying to figure out if they had anything that might be worth sending, and then people said "yes I'd love that" and it started sliding from there.
I personally like all the talk about what everyone would like, makes my job alot easier!
This is my thinking:
I think its a great idea to chat about what kinds of things we would like. That way participants can send in according to our conversations.
Also writing names on the packets of who asked for what just makes my job easier too!
Of course on Oct. 15 everyone is encouraged to submit their wishlists to me.
As in past years I request that wishlists be made according to the #.
Example:
from #1:
ipomopsis rubra
#3:
Ipomoea obscura
#6:
tommy toe tomato
As of this time I am planning on hosting 2010 unusual seed swap round 2 from oct. 15-Nov.15. any seed packs arriving after oct. 14 will be for round 2.
Any questions, just ask :)
It looks like everyone is having alot of fun :)
Marti....In the next post from me I will give you my wishlist, and encourage others that want any of your seeds to post what you want. Marti can then send them all to me and I will distribute to participants.
I will be sending Marti something special next year for her generosity. I have a couple of the plants on her wishlist.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Marti....these are the seeds I would be interested in:
all of the zinnias LOL
all of the poppies
all of the sunflowers
tricolor amaranthus
Cleome 1 Color Fountains
all of the morning glories
Crocosmia 1 Ember Glow
Crocosmia 2 Lucifer
Tithonia 1 Mexican Sunflower
2 Silver Lace Vine
mexican hats

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I will dig out your list and get it off to you asap.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I am glad that you mentioned that you wanted maple seeds, I never bothered saving any because they are everywhere here. The darn things even sprout in gutters, shrubs, window boxes. I am in the later swap (and the maples haven't started losing leaves/seeds yet). Do you have a preference for the regular green leaved or the more unusual dark leaved tall maple. Both are growing within gathering distance.

They grow very quickly, but are relatively short lived trees (

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Maple seeds? I've got a yard full of seedlings!!!! My 5 maple trees and the neighbors trees have kept me pulling seedlings since April and I still have seedlings. The tree trimmer said he wanted 5 or 6 maple trees seedlings about 3 feet tall. I left some grow for him and now he says he doesn't want them.

Marti,
I am interested in Amorpha fruticosa and Zinnia Fruit Smoothie if they have not been claimed.
Thanks, Alana

Orangeburg, SC

Marti, I'd like the following if not spoken for already:
Angelonia
Coreopsis Gold fink
Gloriosa Lily ukn
Hibiscus Mary Poppins
Hibiscus Magenta
Hibiscus coccineus Cranberry Pink
Iris Japanese/Purple
Rudbeckia hirta Gloriosa Daisy
Salvia Blue Chiquita
Zinnia elegans Red Spider
Siberian Iris
Shasta Daisy ' Becky'

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

Marti001 is it possible for you to tag these seed for me please.
Thank a million
cindy

Adonis aestivalis 2 deep red/7ft
Amopha Fruiticosa
Aquiliega/Columbine
Armeria Pink Sea
Centaurea Cyanus
Centaurea jacea
Corydalis orhroleuca White
Cosmos Single Sensation/mixed
Cosmos Pink Dazzler
Cosmos Picotee
Hibiscus Hardy Yellow
Hibiscus coccineus Cranberry Pink
Hibiscus coccineus Hardy White
Impatiens Dwarf Scarlet Baby
Lupinus polyphyllus Alaska/Shemya
Myrrhis odorata Nigella Persian Jewels/mixed
Papaver somniferum Lauren's Grape
Papaver somniferum Pizzicato
Polemonium caeruleum
Portaluca Thunergia Alata Blackeyed Susan Vine
Tropaeolum majus 1 Nasturtium/mixed
Tropaeolum majus 1 Peach Melba
Tropaeolum majus 1 Alaska
Tropaeolum majus 1 Tall Single Blend
Zinnia elegans 1 Peppermint stick
Zinnia elegans 1 Fruit Smoothie
Zinnia elegans 1 Profusion Fire
Zinnia elegans 1 Profusion White
Zinnia elegans 1 Double Red
Zinnia elegans 1 Orange King
Zinnia elegans 1 Purple Prince
Zinnia elegans 1 Red Spider
Canna/Indian Shot
China Aster
Spurred Butterfly Pea
Sweet Pea/pink/white
Easter Egg Plant
Red Clover
Moss Rose
Texas Stork Bill
Mexican Hat

cindy

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the clarification Theresa! :)

Marti001,

If you have an Amorpha fruticosa/False Indigo Bush left, would you please tag it for me. Thanks much!

This message was edited Sep 25, 2010 4:00 PM

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I have a million seeds from the false indigo bush. They grow wild down by the lake and are covered with seeds right now. I'll go get some more and send to Theresa.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

if anyone has mina lobata vine seeds, please include them. I love this vine. Also looking for other annual vines I can grow in zone 5.

I think i am in over my head with this swap. I do not have the volume of seeds others have (my first year gardening) and i am not even sure i am collecting the natives properly,
so i am going to bow out and maybe be better prepared for next year.
I had such visions of sitting and going through the box, but i really am not ready. will stick to trades or seeds for postage for now.
thank you for letting me join.
if anyone should want any of the seeds on my trade list please let me know and i would be happy to send to you.
to the people with the sweet peas and marigolds, would be glad to send you postage for them

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I think I sent to many of each kind and probably few will like some of them as they are zone 9 type things. I would be most happy if Theresa sent you some of the seeds left over from what I sent. I personally don't want a lot of seeds, just a few but when I collect, I over collect. Its so easy to harvest.... My seeds would work for your zone.

that would be wonderful !!! thank you so very much
karen

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

sherman99, why not send what you have and we can go from there? I would love for you to be included, especially since its your first year! I have lots of extras too that I can share with you. What do ya say? Did I convince you? You can still sit and go thru your new seeds we all share with you!

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

I forgot to mention sherman99....you dont need a big quantity of seed packets...the amount you send will be the amount you get back, no matter how many or how few, but in your case you will get back lots more than you are sending....how can you turn down such a great offer as this!!!

believe me i do not want to turn it down !!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just feel overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of seeds people are sending and thought i would not be sending enough. if what i have is ok i will keep packing and send it on to you. just dont want to mess up my very first trade like this. everyone here is so kind.

Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Shoot, Karen....We're just freaks. The sooner you realize that, the saner you'll stay!

I, personally, am looking forward to seeing these on the Theresa's "Picking List":

Plain Mariposa, Calochortus invenustus
Self-Heal, Prunella vulgaris (I grow a couple varieties of prunella heal-alls, and am always looking to try to find new ones, which yours could be.)
Catmint, Nepeta latifolia "Super Cat" (if you have seeds of it...)

Do stay in the mix. I may send extras in for you too, just too many seeds hereabouts.
--Tina

This message was edited Sep 26, 2010 2:00 PM

i just cannot get over how nice everyone is. something i am not used to (retired from law enforcement which sort of warped me forever)
I just cannot loose this vision of me sitting on the floor with the box of seeds, going over and over what is in it, pics of flowers everywhere, (oh, and a laptop to figure out what they are)
hopefully it will cool off in the next few days and i can go gathering some more seeds.

are commercial seed packs allowed?

i am quickly becoming a gardening freak, seems to be all i think of, and now the first thing i check on the computer is DG, not my personal emails. i am so hooked !

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

If I sent in too many and you have extras, please feel free to trade them away. I don't do any trading but hate to throw the seed away, sometimes you start to collect and its hard to stop. I know the embothrium seed is very expensive if you go and try to buy it but my tree is so full of it. And it needs to be used fresh. It could make someone some nice trades!

Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

:) My dad was in law enforcement too, and I know what you're talking about. Seeing way too much of the dirty underbelly, evil side of the world there.

Welcome to GardenJoyLand!!!

lol!! :^)

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Sherman99,
I hope you will please stay in the swap because your offerings of Nicotiana glauca(tree tobacco) and fresh Chilopsis linearis (desert willow) seeds were what really tempted me to join in. I've been wanting to try those for the hummingbirds and would LOVE to get them. I remember others expressed interest in your seed too. Not everyone will be sending in the huge amounts of seed so I wouldn't worry about that. My offerings will be more modest as well. Also, if you are having any problems collecting seed, I'm sure we would all do our best to help you out so just ask. On some plants it is hard to tell what is seed and what is chaff if you don't know what to look for already. Anyway, I hope you will stay in the swap, not stress about perfection, and just have fun both giving and receiving those wonderful seeds! :)

This message was edited Sep 26, 2010 1:43 PM

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Sherman99

You'd better stay. You will find that this crowd is crazy, but they believe in sharing seeds and plants. Have you contacted the seeds for newbies forum yet? They'll send you alot of seeds also. Thats were most of mine came from. Plus other trades. Last year was my first year and I have more seeds than I can plant. This new proptery is not ready for gardening. Its packed hard over the years due to red clay and nothings been done for 20 years except to mow the weed/grass. I am fixing raised beds because the ground is so hard to dig in. This is a picture of one of my raised beds under a Maple tree. It gets full sun to partial sun all day. This is for irises, speedwell and some daylilies. I just received 2 lilac bushes so have to make a home for them.

Thumbnail by marti001

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.