ROBIN STORING UP FACTS & INFO FORUM " JOIN US "

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

The thread was slow so I just tried to stir things up a bit.

It was in general, don't need big bags of seeds if not many will be used.

dane

Thumbnail by dmtom
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

I like the big bag idea because it's easier and less expensive than making up a bunch of individual bags. (I work alot, so limited time) Everyone can take out what they can use.

I love most plants that will not survive our (5a) winters. Lantana is a new favorite. I had one seedling survive from last winter and now it's one of the most beautiful plants in my garden.

Even tropicals are fun to try to grow inside in minigreenhouses. LoL

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Diamond,

I just keep my seeds in shade, or in an out building while I try to get them started. I just repotted some big mango seeds I started using a paper towel and baggie method til a root appeared. I took a pot of soil and made a hole for the root and layed the seed on top and covered with the paper towel and set it in the shade. Keep the towel moist. I like this because you can keep an eye on them.

You also need to pay attention to temperatures. If it is seed that sprout in the spring, they may need cooler temps to sprout, some need warmer temps.

Just my opion.

dane

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

i've attached a photo of a forsythe pot i made up a couple of days ago for cuttings from my Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Brilliant' . . .

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

another with a few cuttings each of white althea, turk's cap and Hamelia patens
(thank you, txaggiegal) . . .

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

and another, in a hanging basket, with cuttings courtesy of joeswife . . .

Thumbnail by LazLo
(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow I Hope I Can try that Now are you using A seedling mix or a Mix of your own ???
can anyone do a red Butterfly bush for me ??? I Have all the other colors but if anyone has any cuttings i can try will
or seed's even . well off to town sppn .
have a great day

I have a butterfly bush that I think is "Black Knight". I can try it. I sure don't have any blooms, yet to get seeds. I moved it earlier this summer and it went through a serious transpant shock. I was hoping for blooms. Last year it had a tiny bloom while there was snow on the ground. LoL

This message was edited Sep 23, 2010 12:42 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

its just regular ol' horticultural vermaculite

Any suggestions for uses of the old vermiculite? I had old Forsythe pots in the garage. Any reason why the old vermiculite can't be used in your compost bin?

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Anyone want Buddleia lindleyana seeds?
If there is interest I will harvest some.
Alana

I would like to try some

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

vermiculite is expanded mineral using heat in most cases. You could sterilize it in the oven. I've never tried it but as a boy my father used it for the bottom of the bar-b-q and it didn't seem to mind the heat.

dane

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I'll try to keep my longer "Have" list of partial commercial pkts on the other thread up-to-date.

**** My self-collected Have List ****

self-collected
Morning Glory Star of Yelta (vine needs trellis or fence)
Convolulus ("Morning Glory", blue and yellow, more bush than vine)
random polinated white-stem Bok Choy
very random-pollinated 2009 petunia mix, that came out well this year mostly blue-purple

Also have fair amounts of commercial (Kitazawa) Bok Choy, green or white, mini-or standard - 4 varieties.

also HAVE lots of, but too heavy for the RR if no one wants any:
- Fall Rye cover crop (I have enough to send a pound!)
- "Soil Builder Mix Cover Crop" (I have enough to send 8 ounces!)
- and two kinds of innoculent

HAVE many partial pkts of commercial flowers Botanical Interests 2010:

**** My WANT List ****

Salvia (blue or purple) especially :
S. Sylvestris Blue Queen (Superba sage) or
S. Sylvestris May Night ('Mainacht' ) or
S. farinacea Victoria (Victoria Mealy Cup Sage) or
any perennial salvia

Mother of Thyme (perennial thyme)
blue Catmint (Nepeta nervosa or any Nepeta)
any perennial or self-seeding blue flowering ground cover tolerant of heavy soil & partial shade (Zone 8a)

perennial Delphinium
blue Bachelor Button
Bok Choy OP
Swiss Chard
Daikon Radish OP

This message was edited Sep 25, 2010 11:19 PM

This message was edited Sep 25, 2010 11:33 PM

DM, I thought vermiculite and perlite was already sterile? Did I misunderstand?

Rick, Susie started an different thread for "haves" and "wants".

Here's the link:
DJ9'S " WINTER SEED ROBIN " WISH LIST

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 5:29 AM

Rick you was fine to post your list on the other thread this thread is just for chat stick around this fun group & you will enjoy right now we are learning how to root some of our plants .
here is zone 5 I 'm not sure if it is a good time for me to root a few of my plants i want or not .

Winter will be upon me soon . well my printer crashed so now i have to scramble to find another to print out my lables RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

it is 76 * this Morning but very very Windy they say there are power lines down in our county hope we do not loose ours .
well off get my critters fed & watered then will be back to play :)

Happy Gardening & Again welcome RICK

Ok I am asking for anyone who has experience rooting Rose of Sharon, Begonia, Tropical Hibiscus, Brugmansia and Lantana. Been chatting a bit about the Lantana and the Brugs. When taking cuttings from these do you need to root in a humid environment?

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

New potting soil, vermiculite and other planting mediums are sterile. After they have been used they have mold, bug eggs, foreign seeds, and other things including good things. Many people will reuse growing mediums and risk contamination unless they sterilize it. It is also suggested by some to sterilize their planting pots, usually bleach.

I've also read where some people reuse their starting medium with better results because of the growth hormones left over from the last plant.

There's back yard gardenders and professional Growers. I reuse, as is, unless I see something wrong or it is going to a freind or shipped elsewhere. I also use new for starting seeds so I know what is sprouting.

Dane

Thumbnail by dmtom

Good to know dane thanks I have a couple questions also but have to do it later to wind & I have to go bring in a few plants

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

i have an article on ways to sterilize used potting media on my DG garden blog:

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/LazLo/13232/

This link may not work for non-subscribers.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 5:06 PM

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

LazLo
your link is a "Access denied.".

dane

QUESTION 1

SO i can go to the store buy a bag of " vermiculite " pour into a Large Flower pot Place a Clay pot in center filled with water & Put My cuttings into the vermiculite & It will root Right ?????

do i need other type of medium under the "vermiculite " in the pot ????

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Wish it was that simple. You have it right on the Forsyth pot, just vermiculite, and don't forget the cork. I also use a rooting hormone.

The idea is to keep the medium moist but not wet. Perilite floats, organics hold water and sand would be too heavy for the little roots too hold on when transplanting.

dane

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 9:55 AM

ok thank you for the cork tip :))) ok i have company on the way so chat more later today

few of my fall MUMS

Thumbnail by deejay9
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

do not forget to line the forsythe pot with paper towels or newspaper before adding the medium, else it will dribble out the bottom.

And if you have the clay pots with no holes, those work the best.

SO YOU CORK BOTH POTS ????

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

No, you want the inside pot to hold water and the outside pot drains, else the medium gets wet.

dane

You want the medium to stay moist. Thats the purpose of the water inside the inner clay pot is to keep the medium moist for rooting.

Let's say you are using a 6" plastic pot with the drainage holes. In the past I used a couple of paper towels and folded them to cover the holes in the bottom of the plastic pot.

Your clay pot ideally could be a small pot with no drainage hole. Mine were hard to find around here. I even had a hard time finding a cork the correct size but duct tapes works on both the inside an outside of the hole.

Cover the drainage holes in the plastic pot, fill 3/4 with vermiculite then add enough water to moisten. Kind of screw your clay pot into the vermiculite. Top off the vermiculite, then moisten again. Add water to your clay pot, then your cuttings into the moistened vermiculite.

Lazlo mentioned rooting compound. I dipped my cuttings in rooting compound but I didn't add any to the vermiculite.

I would try to keep the water in my clay pot topped off, in case I go through my "Nita" moments and forget to water.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 6:57 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hobby Lobby and Michael's craft stores sell packages of corks in various sizes, most of them are perfect for small terracotta pots!

I believe Hooby Lobby was the only place I could find the cork. Luckily, I found maybe 4 clay pots with no drainage holes. I am sooooo looking forward to making more Forsythe pots this winter. That will require alot less room than trying to store my humugous plants over the winter.

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Quote from LazLo :
i have an article on ways to sterilize used potting media on my DG garden blog:

http://davesgarden.com/tools/blog/index.php?tabid=13232

This link may not work for non-subscribers.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 9:15 AM

I'm a subscriber and got acccess denied.

Has anyone else tried?

dane

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

my bad, folks . . . that is the URL for only me to use for creating and editing Garden Diary entries . . . here is the public URL

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/LazLo/13232/

Thumbnail by LazLo
Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks I need that.

Tell Father Oats "keep on trucking" for me.

dane

Nice info keep it up . i Do use BLEACH When I Reuse my pots . as for reusing soil I Have also but
have a 15x 20 " Pan like a cake pan & cooked in the oven of the electric stove out in the garage but i don't have that any more so now i guess i will try the boiling water .

they are calling for that 5 letter word we always dread to hear F_ _ _ T So I Have to Hall in Plants If our county
is included Oh I Hope not .

well off to check on daddy it is just he & I this weekend so you all have a safe & Fun weekend .

OH Would Like to KNOW when you all think We Should PUT The robin in FLIGHT .

REMEMBER IT MIGHT TAKE LONGER THIS TIME OF YEAR FOR ALL THE XMAS BOXES BEING SENT OUT . THERE WILL BE ABOUT 15-20 PLAYERS , SO SHOULD I START A NEW THREAD JUST
FOR SIGN UP TO SEE JUST HOW MANY WILL WANT TO PLAY ???

THEN THE FLIGHT PATTERN IS ALWAYS THE HARDEST FOR ME TO DECIDE ON BUT WE CAN HAVE THE BOX GO BACK TO THE FIRST ONES ON THE LIST IF THEY WOULD LIKE .

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT .
SUSIE

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

to determine frost dates by zip code go to

http://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-frost-dates/

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Any body hear of Hollar & Co.? Ran across a free sample offer from them. Three samples of cucurbits, with lots of choices.

I'll wait to see if anyone knows them first.

http://hollarseeds.com/sample-request

Didn't wait. Looks good to me.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2010 3:25 PM

Thumbnail by dmtom

NEVER HAVE BUT WORTH A TRY MAYBE I Will check it out after super I Have 400 dl's to go tend to :))

back later
susie

Susie, I'm fine with the flight pattern you decide. I don't mind mailing saved envies out indidually.
I'm still collecting seeds, maybe late October will give us a jump start.

Susie, you mentioned the purple Blackberry Lilies above. I thought I only had orange but I just got a bloom and its purple. I love it! I think I like purple better than the orange.

Thumbnail by diamond9192002

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.