ROBIN STORING UP FACTS & INFO FORUM " JOIN US "

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

You would probably like a break. Didn't you just finish a swap and now getting ready for winter?

People in the cooler zones will be done collecting seeds and need their fall planting earlier.

Jack comes around here every 3 years. He did some damage last year.

dane

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

I will Put up a sign up page for anyone who would like to be in on the ROBIN This will give time to get the Robin in flight by 1st of NOV .

Have to help daddy to bed then come back & Get it up . do you want it on the group trades or seed trade ??

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Seed trade

OK WILL DO ANITA ON THE WAY TO DO IT NOW .

IN MEAN WHILE HERE IS A SWAP YOU ALL MIGHT LIKE TO CHECK OUT :)))

""""OCTOBER FEST SWAP """""

COME JOIN US

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1131102/

SUSIE

HERE IS THE ROBINS SIGN UP THREAD No Chat PLEASE On That Thread .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1131133/

DANE Me TAKE A BREAK ?????? Whats that

lazlo :I would like some of your candy lilies love them I Have a few but want more Mine didn't set allot of seeds.

well time to lay back in case i have to get up with daddy later he's been confused all day 97 yrs old he dose pretty well I'm confused 24/7 he's only confused 12/7 :)))
Good nite all back for coffee .

susie

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

The common name is Evening Star Rain Lily. This is one of those plants that are politically challenged, got a name change and put with others.

Zephyranthes drummondii has 2-3" flowers and mine pictured below has about 1" flowers. The ones in a bed are a little larger. I have a big bag of seeds and wouldn't want anyone thinking the were getting the giants.

Thanks

Dane

Thumbnail by dmtom

DANE I Have the pink Zephyranthes, The Magic Rain Lily & I just love them & plan to put them in bigger pots to bring them in they just bloom &^ bloom for me still in bloom here is one i just took .

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2624/

also have Peacock Orchid: Gladiolus acidanthera BULBLETS & Bulb's

http://www.americanmeadows.com/SpringFlowerBulbs/Gladiolus/PeacockOrchidAcidanthera.aspx

Love to share for others i don't have :))))

Thumbnail by deejay9
Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

That Peacock Orchid is beautiful.

The little lady planted chives in the herb bed. Then I noticed they looked like the flowers that popped up in the yard when it rained. HAHAHA. Glad she did use them.

I think they would look good in front of the canna beds.

Dane

Thumbnail by dmtom

I love the garlic chives I think i have a few seeds of them . woud you like a few of the peacock orchid ? will trde
for the white Zephyranthes drummondii Bulb let me know :)

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

can you post your sept. 11th post in the rules at the beginning of this thread?. thanks Maybe we can get abbreviations like my garden could be My G local garden could be Lo. G etc.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 10:06 AM

Check it out anette I posted it up top as guidline # 21 & If anyone else has any Good Ideas Please share with us .

well off to the post office back soon

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

Another really good source for seeds is GardensNorth.com they are in Canada so it may take a week or 2 to get the seeds but the selection is endless.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

We've had rain for two straight days, not complaining since we're at a deficit, just anxious to get back out there and collect seeds.

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Today first day no rain. Went out and found some new stuff. Trying to ID some now.

Dane

Here also just got rain last night till noon today but going to clear off so i hope to have a great weekend to collect a few more .

I have a feeling we might need to use a flate rate box :) HEHE To help the flight out
well i have to go get my chores done then back for more coffee . :)

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

People in the northeastern and north-central North America might find this helpful for ID'ing their flowers.

http://www.realtimerendering.com/flowers/flowers.html

Dane

This message was edited Sep 30, 2010 11:48 AM

Thumbnail by dmtom

Sorry for being MIA But I Have so many plantsto get into the ground & Some to pot up & Bring in so please forgive me I will have this done in a few days . then i can get back in here & Share the news with you all .

Happy gardening to all frost is in the air .
susie

I'm collecting Marigold seeds and Rudbeckia seeds like crazy! Does anyone have an easy way of collecting Salvia seeds? I don't have many blooms left, so now I wouldn't mind upseting the entire plant. LoL

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Anita,

I have a bunch of drawstring organza bags on order, several sizes. Need a few for collecting salvia seeds?

Corey

Wow, it's awfully nice of you to offer but i will try to find some around here first. Where did you find them, Micheals or Hobby Lobby?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thnaks, Anita, but I'm looking forward to some Delphimium seeds from you in the RR, and I ran low on Penstemon Firecrackers and feel bad. Who knows what other seeds you might send around if you have plenty of organza bags? :-)

You would be very welcome to some, if I recieve them while you still need them. The order is "being processed" and then will be shipped for 4-7 days.

I found expensive small ones in "Jo-Annes", a fabric-and-crafts store, like 3x4". That about the right size to hold chunks of dessicant, or maybe bag one bloom.

Many tell me that Wal-mart crafts sections carry organza bags, but I couldn't find any.

Here are some links, not that I reccomend them very storngly:

I bought here, shipping was only $3 but they add $3 handling:
http://www.giftsintl.com/organzabag.php
3x4" 30 for $3
4x6" 30 for $4.50
5x8" 30 for $6.50
6.5x15" 10 for $4 (bottle-size)

FetPak ($7 handling fee under $100, also mentioned in their paper catalog)
http://www.fetpak.com (4x5", 29 cents each, 36 for $10.44) Item BX1294
(Fetpak also had a special on 5/8x5/8: ziplocks: 1,000 for $3.95)

ebay:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=3x4 White Organza Wedding F...

HEHEHE Senior MOMENT :) I Had No Idea as to what you all was talking about organza bags?????
till you sent this link then I Woke up & realized I Have these all over my home but i use them for my potpourii HEHE
Someone share a few with me in robin one time but i also bought some in a $1.00 store somewhere over the Holidays last year . I trully did not KNOW they were used for collecting seeds >

Guess this old lady Learns something New every Now & Then :) Thank you for sharing the info . i think they were like 4/$1.00 .
well it has been a very very busy day you all have a great evening.

susie

Oh Also I Think I'm going to only sign up 15 player for the ROBIN Once we have 15 signed up i will close it .

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Senior MOMENT

Me too, all the time. I had been looking for YEARS for a free source of flat white plastic to make plant markers out of, I had small weird curved shapes from all kinds of bottle in my yard (looking exactly like litter).

Then someone on some DG forum mentioned :"mini-Venetian blind slats". Problem more than solved!

I have most of my seeds ready to go for the RR. I'm nowhere near collecting more yet this year - I got a late start. I've been leaving some zinnias un-dead-headed for ages, hoping they would go to seed. Not yet! Bright colors!

Hey, can anyone tell me why playing the Greatfull Dead to plants prolongs their bloom period? I like it, but neighbors complain.

Corey

Corey,
You are too funny! I have your Delph seeds set aside for you. I updated my "have" list in the other forum. Please, check it out in case there is other seeds you might be interested in. I finally went through my stash, wheew! LoL

I ordered some bags from the first site. Thanks for the links. The city I live in has maybe 200,000 people but sometimes we have a difficult time finding certain things.

I love these forums !!!! today i have learned about venetian blind slats for markers, coffee filters for little seeds, where to get organza bags. so much information !
downside-i am spending more and more time here looking at things !! i guess garden addict now applies to me. LOL

LoL Sherman, I check this site all day long!!!!!! When there aren't any posts I'm disappointed. ;-( LoL I'm trying to imagine what my garden is going to look like with organza bags tied all over the blooms of my flowers.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Anita,

I found more African Marigold Crackerjack, so there'll be plenty, but couldn't find more Penstemon firecracker seed. No interest in "French Marigold Mix"?

If any of these reach me, I'll definitely sample them eagerly:
red Canna
purple Poppy
Poppy mix

My mailbox used to have only bills and junk mail, but now I sniff around it like a squirrel watching me plant bulbs!

Corey

I have gone from checking it once or twice a week when i first joined (a few months ago), to several times a day. everyone is just so nice, so helpful, and best of all have the same gardening addiction i have. also i am very grateful to members that are so willing to share their seeds with me.

I will be here in the morning for coffee but then it is off to get my plants in the ground for tomorrow is our last nice day , for awhile . there will be many packs of seeds from the last robin in this one , but many of them will be new seed's that i have collected ,

heres my bird house gourds they are huge . well i got to put critters to bed so you have sleep tight back for coffee is the am .
sherman we all learn & Get HOOKED :)

Thumbnail by deejay9

APPLE GOURD
serman would you like to join the ROBIN ??? If So Please go over to the sign up forum I have room for just 5 more
ok

Thumbnail by deejay9

Corey,

It's no big deal about the Penstemon. It was just something I wanted to try. I have many Canna seeds and I am still collecting, so I'm including the entire bounty in the RR. I will set an envie aside with your name on it along with the delph, purple and mixed poppy seeds.

LoL Have you all had any experience with planting Castor Bean or Allium Giganteum? It's my understanding that the smell keeps the moles away??? I found a slug in my garden yesterday. Where there's slugs, it will probably be moles! Argh!!!!

Nice gourds Susie!

thank you for the invite. i think i went to the right place and signed up.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Anita, I started a Mole Plant in April from a seed that must have been in one of last Winter's Robins. Look at it now, it's easily 7' tall. Knock on wood I don't have moles, just think it's a cool plant. Hubby hates it...lol I've been collecting seedpods if any of you would like to try them. The few pods I've opened have been really tough on my arthritic fingers, so I hope in this case seedpods will be acceptable?

Edited to add: If you have critters or curious children in your gardens, beware all parts of this plant, including seeds, are poisonous and can cause severe allergic reactions. Wear gloves, don't put your fingers in your mouth or eyes after handling the plant or seeds, and wash your hands immediately.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2010 9:39 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

I always heard caster bean kept mosquitos away.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Anita,

The P. eatonii "Firecracker" and African Marigold "Crackerjack" already have your name on them. It's just that I have very few of the Penstemon seeds. By splitting with you, I increase the odds that one of us will have them to re-offer some year!

I think I'll put in some of the Marigold "French Favorite Blend" in case I can tempt someone (yellow, gold, red and bi-color, butterfly-friendly single bloom, 10-12" tall Tagetes patula).

Corey

Corey, I'm sold. I'd be happy with two seeds. If you are nice enough to share your seeds with me, then I'm grateful for whatever the amount. Of course, I will be happy to share the seeds with the RR next year. That's part of the fun...to know you have fostered gardens all across the US. LoL

sorry can't stay but back later after i get my chores done so have a great afternoon love the chat :)))
susie

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I agree, Anita. It's a joy to know that one successful season with one flower type could enable dozens of people accross the world to try a new variety.

My DSO will occasionally ask me: "Are you propagating with those Flower Ladies again?!?"

Corey

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

BTW -

Dopes anyone have a tip for collecting seed where it rains most of the time in the Fall? In 2009, I almost had to wring water out of seed pods before bringing them indoors, then pat them with towels and paper cloths and coffee fitlers.

Especially with Morning Glories and Convolulus, I had to keep picking out moldy squishy pods and seeds.

This year I bought some ogranza bags, but my problem is usually not that they blow away or pop away - I risk them rotting on the stem if I wait for them to turn brown.

I was thinking about building plastic film tents or hoop-igloos over them, but aside from the neigbors looking at me funny, I think they would tend to blow away.

Corey

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.