ROBIN STORING UP FACTS & INFO FORUM " JOIN US "

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Corey

In cooler climates people pull tomatoe plants and hang them in the shed till they ripen. I use to collect herbs from the forest and hung the whole plant to dry, in some of the plants the seeds would appear to ripen (never tested them). I've seen seeds that weren't fully "ripe" when dried, sprout.

You could try, then test them using the paper towel and baggie method. Since there might be a germination temperture involved you might have to wait til spring when the plant starts appearing outside.

You might try LazLo's tip with the cinnamon.

Maybe someone else knows more. Just a thought.

Dane

This message was edited Oct 1, 2010 7:40 PM

This message was edited Oct 1, 2010 7:41 PM

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Dane,

I had not thought of pulling whole plants and hanging them or heeling them out of the rain. I could turn my carport into a seed factory / compost heap - which it is depends on whether the seeds ripen!

I've forgotten or missed LazLo's cinnamon tip. For speeding seed ripening, or preventing mold?

Corey

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Sorry I thought he posted it here. He mentions is in most of his seed trades. He suggest dusting the seeds. Here's one.

" When germinated using ground cinnamon as a natural anti-fungal agent, I have experience an 85% germination rate in comparison with 2009 when their germination rate was just 65% without using cinnamon."

Dane

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

just popping is to say good nite just got home & I'm very sleepy tonight & Have to get up early & Take my brother to the airpost but will get back in here after i get him off the ground :)
you all have a great weekend .
susie

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Sleep well. First you get your brother into the air, and then the Robin? You are busy!

Corey

thank you corey guess i better get my winter coat out this morning BURRRRRRRRRRRRRR it sure feels cool out there but therm says it is 52* .

so i hope you all can do without me I Have a yearly FISH FRY to go to this evening also at my sisters house
I'm very bad I forgot about it till see called last night . been so wrapped up with my gardens .

so will try to get back when i can :)

susie

WE HAVE ROOM FOR ONE MORE PLAYER ONLY .

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

I have some seeds of the variegated Marigold that was requested. I think it was Mary?
Will check and see if I can get seeds separate from the others that were blooming, but think we had frost last night.
Plants have been maturing very late this yr., so hard to get mature seeds for sharing.

Maxine

GM Everyone We have our QUOTA as to players for this Robin I Like maxine Have many many Plants not ready to collect seeds from yet . SO I'm sure I won't have them ready for the robin by Nov 1st ,

So I may have another robin later in FEB , WE WILL SEE :))) I'm Collecting all I Can at this time .
well fish fry went well Did not stay long it was so WET COLD & WINDY .

I Got to go check on daddy so will be back later today . Maxine if you have a few extra I Would love them
thank you .

susie
I need addresses for
AYRICA
SHERMAN
MAXINE
DIRTYGIRL

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

I was starting to say to myself "there's always next year". Haven't been able to walk much but the wild poinsettia had green seed last I saw. Got a small fruit on my wild passion flower and found out a freind was into flowers. Need to see what he has.

dane

NOID

Thumbnail by dmtom
Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi peeps!

Another pleasant day and I will spend some time focused on seed collecting. It is suppose to rain tomorrow so I will place the hanging planters inside the garage this evening and harvest their seeds tomorrow.

This evening I will post today's harvest.

MARY

when i take down my MG I put them into a Lg Brown Paper Bad & Let them POP OPEN :)
Same with other types of seed. Gues i just use what i have on hand :))) .

its going to be cool for a few days so ones we get just a bit warmer I will get back out to collect what i can .
well off to go warm up the house for daddy :) he is cold so will bake him some cookies :)
Ya all have a great day .

OH I HAVE A OCTOBER FEST SWAP GOING ON IF ANYONE WANTS TO GO JOIN US IT WILL BE FUN
CHECK IT OUT

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1131102/#new

you have till 1 pm to sign up names go out later today .

susie

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Susie, I am in the address exchange.

Maxine

ok thank you

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm back!

I collected more annual salvia seeds, more straw flower (yellow and white) wax begoinia (red, pink, and white) and a few new guinea impatien.

Here is a picture of one

Mary

Thumbnail by merrymath
Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

This is a different one. I am hoping to harvest more seeds from both.

Thumbnail by merrymath
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Mary,

I'd like some seeds from the second Impatient

Athens, PA

Mary - if you have more, I would like some impatien seeds too.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Anita and Carolyn, I shall place a few new guinea seeds aside for you.

Carolyn please reserve some Veronica 'FairyTale Pink' seeds for me.

I will be d-mailing peeps regarding my wants ..... because I have to really think about it.

I plan to winter sow (1st timer) and share my extras with younger daughter (older daughter lives too far away), neighbors and schools.

I will also add my photobucket site on the other thread.

MARY

Athens, PA

Mary - they are yours.

GM all Fall Is here Very frosty out side this morning . Not going out to early :)))

Just want to appoligise to the ones who have ask to join our robin . Sorry But there will be another robin going arround later in Jan- Feb So Please just Keep watch & Sign up Early for I will only be taken 15 PLAYERS at a time .

well coffee is gone so time to get my day off to the start :) better go throught some of the seeds & get them packed
up will make my list as i go :)
happy collecting :)))
susie

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

The following is a list of seeds I am interested in and who has them on their have list. I will d-mail each person regarding the seeds they have that I would like to try.

I do not want a lot of each type of seed .... 20 seeds max is plenty.

DeeJay9 AKA Susie
White butterfly bush
Fennel
White hardy mum
Dogwood

Kobwebz AKA Annette
polemonium breshingham purple
lauren's grape poppy
feverfew virgo
lobelia siphilitica
st johns camomile
Gold Alyssum,
opium poppy maximum
dames rocker hesperis matronalis
green apple columbine

Poisondartfrog AKA ALANA
Celosia argentea var Cristata
Tagetes erecta collected from Marigold Double Mr. Majestic
Tagetes erecta collected from Snowman

txaggiegal
Chocolate daisy

DIAMOND AKA ANITA
Baby's Breath
Delphinium Imperial Mix
Echinacea Sundown
Foxglove pink
Lambs Ear
Nicotianan mix
Cockscomb hot pink
Gaillardia Dakota Reveille

Rickcorey
Butterfly Flower Asclepias tuberose stratify
Delphinium Blue Mirror
Forget-Me-Not Spring & Summer mix
Lavender Gurneys angustifolia (sweet)
FruitOfthe Vine
Cosmos "Bright Lights"

CAROYLN
Heuchera 'Brownies'
Pulsatilla Rubra
Salvia 'Sensation Rose'
Stokesia 'Mary Gregory'
Veronica 'FairyTale Pink'

MARY

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm Making Special Marked Envelops for the following players

MAXINE
Easy Wave Mystic Pink
Blue Wave Petunia

DeeJay 9 AKA SUSIE
Easy Wave Mystic Pink

CAROLYN
White Salvia
New Guinea Impatien

Rickcorey
Blue Wave Petunias
White Salvia
Strawflower

DIAMOND AKA ANITA
Nieko Blue Hydrangea
Blue wave petunia
Orange trumpet vine
New Guinea Impatien

Poisondartfrog AKA ALANA
Celosia-Plumosa yellow

Please let me know if there are additions for the above.

MARY

This message was edited Oct 6, 2010 8:40 AM

This message was edited Oct 6, 2010 8:46 AM

This message was edited Oct 6, 2010 4:18 PM

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Susie, may I have some of your "Easy Wave Mystic pink" petunias?

Rickcorey, May I have a few of your "Blue Wave" petunia seeds?

Thanks, Maxine

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

MAXINE ...... the post stating I'm making envelops are for seeds that I have

The envelops will contain the players' names and be inserted into the robin.

I added your name for the pink wave petunia and blue wave seeds

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

MARY

This message was edited Oct 6, 2010 8:47 AM

Thanks mary for catching that :))) I didn;t want to break maxines heart & Say I didn't have any :)
I still have so much to collect yet & some of them are not ready so i may have to wait till the next robin .
but I can tell you all this I will be going through the last robin & Lightening the load from that I Found a gal who is teaching gardening for the high school so i'm going to let them take out what they can use .
hope this is ok with the rest of you .

there will be so much more to share this time around ,Before i can work on the robin I Trully need to get my outside work finished up befor it gets to cold , so please forgive me if I only check back in here early morning & Late evening if i have the time.
thank you all for listing your wants & Haves I can hardly wait till i can get my list up just have to get my outside work done .

thank you all
susie

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

Susie, the sent seeds today. Got a break and made it to the P.O. Annette

ok annette will look for them

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Maxine, I guess you know now that MerryMath (Mary) has the Blue Wave Petunias. But I have 2009-self-collected VERY-random-pollinated petunias that came out around 1/2 - 2/3 dark blue or purple in 2010, if you're feeling experimental.

DJ, I personally think you should put garden first and Round Robin second! We can wait but plants can't. I appreciate all the work you put into this.

Merrymath: I figured it out. "FruitOfTheVine" is a person (Post #8130751).

Corey

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Sure Corey, I am always up for trying something experimental!
Have lots of seeds like that in my own stash.
Still trying to collect more of the orange variegated, yellow and red variegated marigolds. Dang brain isn't working too good tonight.
Our weather here has been fantastic. Temp. today was 76 and a lt. breeze. We got one of the gardens cleaned up today and hopefully tomorrow I can plant some plants and bulbs that I recd. today from a friend. Also want to attack the weeds that just have to grow in my one lily bed. Want to spread compost on it when I get done planting bulbs.

I am interested in seeds that I can start in the greenhouse for my 8 hanging baskets. Takes a lot of plants to get them full and gorgeous after they start growing and filling in.

Maxine

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Last year we bought an orange shrimp plant. It doesn't look like the ones at PF. Anyway I took a dried pod off and rubbed in in my fingers, and alot of chaff came off but I think the seed is in the center, like mexican hats.

Anyone harvest shrimp seeds or have any idea?

Thanks

Dane

Thumbnail by dmtom

TY COREY Well i did get my Dahlia Bulb dug up today & My room is a mess with Bulbs but i have to dry them before i can store them :) tomorrow i hope to get my other Fall Bulbs put into the ground trully did not realize how many i had . I Also collected some nicotinia ?? spelling not the greatest tonight . Wow are they tiny seeds :)

can anyone tell me how many variety of castor bean there is ??? about 3 yrs ago I had a bean plant that got up to about 15ft tall & It was beautifull now all i have are just some small red ones anyone have any of the taller green ones ???

anyone here need any dwarf canna's I have lots would be happy to share for postage i think might be about $6-$7.
I will have the box weighed & Let you know for sure .
well got to lay back will be back for coffee in the morning .
susie

Susie, did you have a frost yet? I'm still collecting seeds from my canna and would like to get more seeds from the Gaillardia and rudbeckia. I'm waiting to get seeds from the Cockscomb. Am I rushing them? I would love to get my Dahlia and Cannas dug. I was thinking I had to wait for the first frost. Does anyone compost old plants and flowers in a pile or compost bin? What about old houseplant soil? Do you compost or discard?

Athens, PA

Susie - what kind of nicotiana do you have? the seeds are very tiny - almost like foxglove seed. If you have the nicotiana sylvestris seed - meet me on the thread for wish lists, as I would be interested.

Also, Susie - have you had your frost yet? I used to pull my dahlias early and didn't have a lot of problems, but have found that they are better if you wait for the green to go out of the stalks, which is typically about 6 weeks or so after a hard frost. The foliage needs to go black (not criticizing, just helping). Do you know what the name of your dahlia is? When it is time to divide the tubers, I might be interested in swapping tuber divisions....

Anita - I have been harvesting cockscomb seed for the last couple of weeks. Some varieties seem to have more in the way of seed than others. When your blooms start to go limp, you should be able to see the seed in the bloom. The way that they say is ideal is to cut the stalks and put them upside down in a paperbag, but I have found that I didn't need to do this - they just fall out of the bloom spikes.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Anita, what plants of the rudbeckia and gaillardia do you have?

Will see if any seeds of Goldilocks rudbeckia is ready to be harvested. One of my favorites as it lasts and lasts like the little pink bunny!! LOL

Maxine

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

MAXINE .....if you have success in harvesting Goldilocks rudbeckia, I would appreciate some.

MARY

i need pinks > reds < blues ,oranges . LOVE SURPRISES

YES WE HAD 3 FROSTY MORNING : SUN < MON < TUES so everything turned to mush & I cut them all down & Dug up the Bulbs , I Have dwarf Yellow cannas coming out the walls anyone need any ??

sure wouldn't mind trading for some oranges, or red, pinks, JLMK.
I Have to Put My Glads Deeper in the Ground today & take down some vines .

Anita : Yes I throw all my Plants Weeds, old dirt in the pile Not sure if your suppose to
but i have been . also throw Kitchen left overs into the pile .

Waiting for it to dry out some so i can go out & Get started .

carol as for the nicotinia I trully do not know the given name for it the Plant was given to me at the Spring swap I Had this spring. all I can tell you is that it is a white one & Is very tall. well it was not sure after the frost .

but i will be happy to share with you. I hope to find time to up-date my seed list here soon .
well got to answer some of my mail yet so you all have a great day .

back later this evening or maybe even about noon if i take a lunch break :)))

susie

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

has any one every attempted to save or find seeds in "Millone Bells" petunia? I really like the plants, but can't find seed to purchase in order to start my own. With the cost of $3.50 for each plant color, I don't buy too many.

Maxine

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Maxine, The seeds are very small and are in seed capsules similar to Petunias, but where Petunias tend to produce a lot of seeds their Callibrachoa cousins produce many fewer.
T&M offered seeds for a short time but the results were not fantastic and they stopped a few years ago.
I sometimes collect a half dozen or so by being diligent, but cuttings are the easiest way to go if you have a sunny window or greenhouse to put them in. You will not get the variations you will get from saved seeds not developed under controlled conditions. With or without the aid of rooting hormones, they are easily rooted in vermiculite, perlite or really any good soilless mix.
If you can pot up and overwinter one plant you can take multiple cuttings in February and have nice specimens as soon as you can plant them out.
Alana

Maxine,

I have been harvesting the Gaillardia Dakota Revielle and mixed seeds from Rudbeckia Cappaccino and Autumn Colors.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2010 3:45 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.