ROBIN STORING UP FACTS & INFO FORUM " JOIN US "

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

dane I'm trying to collect seeds off my BFB but not sure if it is working yet will let you know . I have about 6-8 colors of them .
well off to the great out of doors :) you all have a great day .
susie

Belton, TX

No one should be interested in orange trumpet vines...they are listed as HIGHLY invasive in most states in the US and the fine is heavy for mailing trumpet vine seeds into multiple states, including most of the southern states....think twice before saving, trading, or panting seeds for the native orange trumpet vine...Please!

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

It's not on the noxious weed list here.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

I was unable regarding restrictions for ORANGE TRUMPET VINE.

If you can post a web link, it would be greatly appreciated ... I am fairly new at all of this.

In my search regarding the above I did find this for the Orange Trumpet Vine

Seed Collection: Gather ripe capsules when they turn brown but before they dry and split open (between 2-3 months after flowering). Remove seeds from pod, air dry, and store in sealed, refrigerated containers.

Seed Treatment: Stratify 30-60 days at 41-50 degrees.

I was not aware that the seeds require stratification.

MARY

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

This could be a case of one common name that diffrent plants share.

I did a google for "invasive plants pa" got this:

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/unitedstates/pa.shtml

as well as other sites with this info.

Looked at Texas and it wasn't listed there. The local nursery has it on a fence but that doesn't mean much here.

hope it helps

dane

I'm not the expert on stratification, maybe someone else will chime in. Most of the annuals or perennials that readily self sow in the colder climates require ( or tolerate) a stratification period. The seeds from annuals may not require it but can survive through the freezing temperatures.

It has something to do with the embryo of the seed needing cold and moist periods to break through the outside layers of the coat looking for food and or light????

I did it in my freezer and fridge with daylily seeds. I think the freezzing period is generally two months.

Maryann is right this trumpet vine can get to be very invassive in many places I Have one spot where i have to keep cutting it off to the ground I can dig & Still leave root & It grows back for i cannot get all the root .

Not sure if it is orange or red or yellow but Anita if you want I will send it to you .
as for the seeds lets leave it this way If someone wants to try them & We have the seeds we can mail in the mail & Not in the robin . will that be ok ????

these vine root very fast & easy I Have many rooted of the yellow . well i have some boxes to pack so you all have a great evening .
susie

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Susie, when you send me my plants, could you please include a yellow and a red trumpet vine? I have a piece of the orange with a root. I intended to plant them in my HOPELESS area.

I just learned of a great souce for Elephant Ear bulbs .... and it is less than 1/4 mile from my house.

Mary

MARY I CAN SEND YOU A ROOTED YELLOW BUT AS FOR THE RED TRUMPET I WILL PUT A CUTTING IN THE BOX FOR YOU TO TRY .

Oops sorry for caps

Mary,

Does this EE source have a website? I have tried the dark purple (Black Knight???) EE and all three died. I'm not sure what I did wrong. LoL they're not usually temperamental.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry Anita .... no website for this source of EE as it is a local Garden Farm store.

What success have you had with other varities of EE?

Mary

I'm working on one and I cannot remember the name. The most common variety of EE I have had for a few years. This year it seems to be happier and bigger than ever. Here's a picture:

Thumbnail by diamond9192002

Here's the smaller EE, I'm sorry, I cannot remember the name.

Is anyone else having problems posting? I've tried at least 3 times to post this picture since yesterday. I am getting booted off the site.

Thumbnail by diamond9192002

some of my post have been sent out to space then i have to reboot thought it was my putor but guess it is in the website maybe .
well off to the great out doors back later today .

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

I've noticed my browser timming out lately here. Could be an increase in traffic at DG.

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

My house was built in 1875 and I believe the trumpet vine on my property was planted then. The diameter at the bottom exceeds a foot at least,it is wrapped around a power pole on the corner of my property and goes higher than that .It is an orange one, anyway I live in a very small town with 10 houses on the block, blacktop on all the roads around the block, the trumpet vine is all over, climbing everyones trees, growing along everyones foundation and sprouting up wherever it wants all over my bock, haven't asked neighbors off my block if it's crawled under the roads. Impossible to pull up, am thinking about using spectracide. I know its slow but it does work with repeated applications to chameleon plant. I'm in zone 6a. Annette

It is not that bad here In mich Z5 but i do have spots where i do not want it there & I Just keep digging as much as i can . when i find it strouting . well have a few Plants to tend to then hit the shower then it is off to BINGO TONIGHT With the girls :)))
maybe back in before i have to leave if i have time if not back in the morning :)
susie

Wow, thanks for the heads up on the Trumpet vine. Maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to plant. I really want something that not too much trouble to care for that attracts humminbirds and butterflies.

CLEMATIS VINE

Thumbnail by deejay9

ORANGE TRUMPET

Thumbnail by deejay9

RED TRUMPET

Thumbnail by deejay9

YELLOW TRUMPET
I HAVE MY TRUMPETS GOING UP A POLE

OFF TO BINGO BACK LATER

Thumbnail by deejay9

Susie, you must live on many acres.

we have 17 acres here we mow 10 of it so this is why i try to build many gardens :) Just wanted to show you that most of my trumpet vines are being invassive if you start them on a pole they will just grow straight up .
but they need to be trained to the POLE .

well Been a long busy day Just got home from BINGO so going to go lay back & watch the nightly news .
good night all

susie

this is the flowerbed I've been working on

Thumbnail by deejay9
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Lemme share two interesting links with you . . . about very easy ways of getting cuttings to root . . . also can be made to sprout some seeds . . . Presenting "The Forsythe Pot":

(1)                 http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/components/DG4419.pdf

(2)                 http://www.plantswap.net/forum/f25/propagating-cuttings-using-forsythe-pots-1264/

This message was edited Sep 14, 2010 3:07 PM

Thumbnail by LazLo

Great info LAZLO I'm Going to try that will a few Plants I Want more of :))) thank you for sharing .
Anita call me as soon as you can if you see this .

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks LazLo,

My problem is how to get the plants out without them looking like bareroot plants.

dane

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Gee Lazlo ...totally awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I am saving those 2 sites!

Mary

I've tried the Forstyhe method before. It works well and fast! I always have problems transplanting afterwards. LazLo, you start seeds the same way? I want to take cutting from Mandavilla, Tropical Hibiscus and Lantana. This winter I would like to get them started and ready to be transplanted by the spring/summer. Hopefully, I can use the Forsythe method to share some starts with friends and family. Has anyone tried to root cuttings indoors? Any experience with rooting Mandavilla, Tropical Hibiscus or Lantana?

This message was edited Sep 18, 2010 9:43 PM

GM everyone ,

BEFORE MY EXCUSES FOR BEING MISSING I WANT TO SAY

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DIAMOND9192002/ANITA & WISH HER A VERY SPECIAL DAY .
LOVE YOUR CALL'S YOU ARE A VERY SPECIAL LADY & DESERVE A VERY SPECIAL DAY .
PLEASE HAVE A SAFE ONE :)

MY GIFT TO YOU : FRIENDSHIP FOR OUR LIFETIME :) HUGS TO YOU MY FRIEND.

AND NOW
Sorry about Beeing MIA A few days Had Boxes to get out & Farm Market to do Parade to do
& I'm whipped today so just going to lay back for the day .
once i feel rested i will try to walk the garden for more seeds . wishing you all a great day .

susie

Thank you Susie! Its been a great day!

your welcome anita glad you had a nice day :))) mines been a lazy rainy day :) on & Off . well off to lay back here a few thunder clouds.
good night all .

susie

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Don't you dare go to bed, Diamond, before I have a chance to wish you a Very Happy Birthday...and many more.
May all your blooms come true. I know that sounds corny but you know what I mean :)

Thoughts of you grow in my garden.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

QUESTION ??? I Planted a few types of Gourds When or how do you tell they are ready to remove from the Vine ??? my apple gourds are huge like a pumpkin.

well i have to go to the gardens so back later .

Thanks Susan! That was not corny at all! LoL that's definitely a gardeners wish. LoL

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Gotcha diamond!

Susie, gourds are ready to harvest when the stems turn brown.

OK I THOUGHT THAT WAS IT BUT WAS NOT SURE Thank you .
these are very big gourds & I Hope to make birdhouses out of them . they are the apple gourds.

well company so got to go have a great eve

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

No sense in sending seeds for everyone if everyone can't grow them.

Ayrica
South Dakota
(zone 4)

bethw336/Beth
Winston Salem, NC
(zone 7)

deejay9/Susie
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

diamond9192002
Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 5a)

dmtom/Dane
Harlingen, TX
(zone 9b)

kobwebz
Wallkill, NY
(Zone 6a)

LazLo/Don
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

merrymath/Mary
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

txaggiegal
Belton, TX
(zone 8)

Hope I didn't step on any toes.

Dane

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 1:31 PM

Thumbnail by dmtom

Whew! I'm so glad to see a posting on this forum! I was starting to go through withdrawals. LoL

Lazlo wrote: "Lemme share two interesting links with you . . . about very easy ways of getting cuttings to root . . . also can be made to sprout some seeds . . . Presenting "The Forsythe Pot": I didn't find any directions for starting seeds. Do you just cover with plastic?

I'm sorry I Haven't Been posting But I have been very busy with packing boxes for shipping . & I Have to leave here soon for the post office .
dane what type of seeds guess i missed it or forgot what you had . as long as it will grow in zone 5 I would love to try them :)

well off & Running back soon .
susie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.