Bromeliads for novices and serious addicts #12, Aug 2010

Brisbane, Australia

I thought we might go for a new thread seeing as it's the start of the month. BTW we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1112519/
Please feel free to join in & post or just lurk. Pictures are appreciated - we all love to "sticky beak" don't we!!
This is Neo Treasure Chest.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2010 9:09 AM

Thumbnail by LeisaD
Brisbane, Australia

Charlene, we're 1/2 a world away from each other, but it's amazing how 2 people can be doing the same thing at the same time ;-)
Hope you see the switch!!

Merino, Australia

Took this photo yesterday of some of my broms. You can see that they are doing well in the cold except for poor little Chantinii , hidden in the middle. She needs an electric blanket. I don't know if she will recover or not. I was going to have her inside for the winter but I thought, they all have to get used to the cold. If they survive they are good if not they will be replaced with others.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Not a brom , but he stands guard over them all. This is my latest frog. He is about 18"long . I may have to get him a friend. There were some giant ants along with the frogs in the shop.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Clifton Springs, Australia

Leisa, N.Treasure Chest is beautiful....thanks for starting your thread with it.
Jean...that is definitely a Bull Frog...love it.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Leisa, thanks for opening a new shadehouse, oops, I mean thread for us. Your N. 'Treasure Chest' is gorgeous, I love the way the leaves are turning to pink!
The Tillandsia you posted in the previous thread, I think, could read Till occulta x mallemontii? Sometimes the labels are written badly, and the next buyer gets a letter wrong, then the next and so on, a bit like chinese whispers. I could be wrong, but just looked at letters that are commonly written badly. I can see a resemblance between the two FCBS pics and your plant though.
Jean, I think your A. chanitnii needs a trip north for the winter. he he. that looks like a nice dark form, it would be a shame to lose it. Maybe it would do better when its a larger plant. Inside would probably be a good place untill it grows.
Nice frog too, I'm partial to frog ornaments also, and also iron and metal things.
Hi Dianne, have you any boms yet?
I spent a gorgeous afternoon just taking dead leaves off my broms, inspecting them for problems and moving a couple around for better light. It was such a relaxed afternoon. I noticed a few more plants coming into flower, so will take pics as they do.
Sue

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Love the frog. I like frogs too. Could you stuff it with spagnum and plant those little airplants on it???

Brisbane, Australia

Ohhh I've had a win with my mystery tillandsia!!! Someone dmailed me & suggested: T. crocata x T. mallemontii, which I think is spot on. I've already written this name on the back of the tag & corrected the name in my picture inventory. I would never have deciphered the tag & come up with that as a possible name!! I guess those more familiar with Tillandsias, can see it straight away!!
It's a little whispy plant a bit like a few strands of thin string, but with tiny little bright flowers. I think that's the beauty of Tillandsias, they are unlike any other plant, ie not your normal green leafed plant, yet still delight with a flower!

To the person who dmailed me: thanks again if you're lurking out there, and no doubt you've got some Tillandsias, so we'd love to see some pics...

Ahh hubby's finally finished the mowing & my brom reorganization is pretty much done, so if I get a chance tomorrow I must get out & take some pics.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2010 5:21 PM

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Leisa, I'm glad the mystery person found another name. Hopefully they know what they're talking about, unlike me! *blush. blush*
I had an orchid that I couldn't find any ifo on, until i realised that the letters were just badly written, and once I worked out that the 'S' was a 'g' and the G was a C, it all became clear.
Glad you got some info, and I reckon that lurker should drop in and say hi.
Sue

Brisbane, Australia

Sue, don't blush too much - you were close with the 2nd part of the name!! And I thought Chinese whispers only happened verbally!!!
Jean that's a very gallant attitude to that chantinii. You hate to see them go downhill, but there's a limit to how much care you can give. And with so many broms out there, yes If one doesn't survive, there's probably heaps more that will. Cruel aren't I!!

tannum sands QLD, Australia

Hi all .love the frog Jean,that chantinii looks an interesting little fellow !! Leisa nice colour on your Neo treasure Chest, the small red plant that you were looking for an id on (post No 7985051 July 21) I came across a plant that is much the same (cryptbergia Red Burst) it's a bigeneric have a look on FCBS, Sue I couldn't agree more about the how confusing some tags can be just one letter can put you in to head spin I bought an interesting Aechmea, clearly written was Aec Tigre"no such thing was my plant " it turned out to be Aec Nigre I like the parallel you draw with Chinese whispers maybe it should be Brom whispers !!! cheers
pic is a yard shot mostly Neo fireballs

Thumbnail by bromalong
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Mike is that your broms?

WOW...I am so jealous!

barmera, Australia

Looking good Mike. Lovely Colleen

DID someone say frogs
thanks Colleen/Marlene

This message was edited Aug 2, 2010 6:55 AM

Thumbnail by bromalong

then there's leap frog

Thumbnail by bromalong
barmera, Australia

Look at the expressions on their faces. lol heaven. Colleen

Brisbane, Australia

Ribbit... ribbit. That wasn't me it was the frogs honest!! Aren't they great both live & fake ;-)

Thanks Mike, that's a good lead with Cryptbergia Red Burst! There's actually a DG plant profile page on it, but it doesn't indicate what the flower looks like. And it's hard to tell what the flower looks like on fcbs. I googled the plant & some links suggested the flowers were white. But then I found these 2 links, which suggest you're on the money: http://www.bromeliad.org.au/pictures/Cryptbergia/RedBurst.htm
and http://www.flickr.com/photos/artemgon/4296758431/

Regardless of Red Burst, you've got some nice clumps there!!. Is that Alley Cat in the stump at the front? And what is that growing in the tall red urn with the handle?

This message was edited Aug 3, 2010 6:54 AM

north coast nsw, Australia

neo lila.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Really nice Mike, the garden picture is gorgeous. It must have taken awhile to fill those pots. speaking of frogs, I found a huge green tree frog yesterday, but it was a dark brown colour. I think it had been hibernating in the soil, and Imust have disturbed it. It was very sleepy, and slow to move. I put him back where I found him. I love frogs.
Leisa, I think xCryptabergia 'Red Burst' is a very good place to start, if not end, with your plant. A better pic of the flower would help on FCBS, but the pic in your secomd link is awesome.
Hello Colleen, Charleen, Marlene, and any other 'eens' how are you all?
Breeindy, your Neo. Lila is looking good. You must show us another pic when its in its full glory. Hows your garden planning going?
I just had a couple of visitors come to look at bromeliads. Its always nice to show them off. Unfortunately a big storm came over and chased them away, only to blow itself out about 5 minutes after they left! Theres lots of plants laying over, but I'll leave them down untill the wind has died down a bit. No sense and having to pick them up more than once.
Here is Neo. 'Midnight' next to Neo. 'Little Prince'. Nice contrasting colours.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

OWWWWWWWW!!!!!! That is Drop-dead Gorgeous. I love the intense colors
Look at that!!!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks Charleen, I thought the same thing!
Here is my Aechmea nudicaulis tree. Its a tree fern with different types of Aechmea nudicaulis on it, as they seem to cling/climb really well. This lone one is the only one flowering though. I must put a few more on there, as there are some pots of different ones floating about.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

On the saem tree, at the bottom,are a couple of Vriesea seedlings. I can't remeber what colour the flower spike was though, and it was bought as an unnamed variety. Anyway, this photo shows them (a little blurry) and the grey bits are threads of Spanish moss (tillandsia usenoides) so if you are familiar with Spanish Moss, that gives you an indication of how small they are! Don't ask me why they are pointing down? they are much bigger than any I've been growing in chinese food containers.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Clifton Springs, Australia

Hi Sue, in answer to your query...NO...I haven't weakened yet.....though I have bought T. usenoides and every time, the birds stole it and made nests out of it....it was all over the trees where they dropped it.
I am waiting for Jean to post her rescue Broms.
Have to post this frog pic, though technically not a frog...
Imagine this one in the Broms...the Toad I mean...lol

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 5:46 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger
barmera, Australia

Bl------y heck Dianne that's one huge toad. Colleen

Hi all, Leisa that clump of mini's is probably Ally Cat when I purchased said plant, the tag said Neo Blushing Tiger" the tag hit the bin shortly there after" So now it's NOID, Ally Cat has blue pink flowers and this bloke tends to be more on the white side ! as for the till in the urn it's also a Noid "I don't collect them " so don't know much about them I have a few but that's about it ,It's quite common up here and as tough as nails has a long flower spike for its size and blue to lavender blooms.Sue nice midnight; be interresting to see how your seedling Vriesea go on the tree fern, I'v started to put some of my Aec Nudicaulis in hanging baskets to try and keep them compact ,thats one big toad he he
the pic is a three toed Viresea ospine gurber.
cheers all

Thumbnail by bromalong
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, those two Neos make such a contrast - such strong colours! Nice nudicaulis tree. I've got about 6 different ones sitting around in pots - that's a good idea putting them together vertically. Boy those seedlings are tiny. Why would they grow upside down though??. It'll be interesting to maybe see them "turn" in the future??
Dianne OMG that toad is a MONSTER!!! that is the biggest toad I have ever seen!
I found a clump of Till usenoides on a pine cone (which was hanging down on the fence) on the top of my fence. I think the neighbour picked it up while he was mowing, as the birds had picked at it so much, they'd snatched it off the fence & into the neighbours yard. the birds do love it & those coconut basket liners also. They shredded one all over my side yard one day.
ha ha Mike re the 3-toed Vriesea - just be careful someone doesn't come hunting for it with a golf club - that would hurt.
Here's a pic of my Neo "Alley Cat" and you guessed it: with it's white flowers! Yes the FCBS pic shows purple tinged flowers. Another little brom mystery.

Thumbnail by LeisaD

Mike ...I like the toed Vriesea too. (Cute toes!)
Colleen...YUCK!
Sue...Broms are a bit like orchids...they don't always do what the book says.

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. Love all the broms but I draw the line at that toad. ugh. I love my froggies, both ornamental and live but am glad we don't have those toads. . My son in Darwin has those horrible creatures in his yard. . Finally found a time when the rain had stopped so I could photograph the new broms. Only small s as yet and maybe a bit tatty , but at only a couple of dollars each, who am I to complain.
This first one is a spiky one with a dark purple flower, sort of cone shaped flower. Any clues ?
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

this was marked as Vriesia Tiffany

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

This is A. Lucky Stripes. I already have about 4 larger ones of these. Very pretty even without a flower.

Merino, Australia

Noid, marked as having red spots and red centre.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

A Mary Brett pup. .
I have also bought myself 3 new Tillandsias . magnusiana,, butzii & tricolor.
I haven't received them as yet but I have one noid doing well and thought more would look well among the big broms.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

This one is best in a basket as the flowers hang down.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

One of my very first broms Viresea ospine is about to flower

Thumbnail by Marleneann
Coffs Harbour, Australia

oooh, look at all this chit chat and pictures. Yummy!
Dianne, that is one very big, and very ugly toad! Where was that pic taken! I am very glad we don't see them here.....yet!
Mike, I have the same coloured three toed Vriesea as you. I have seen a purplish one, in pictures, that I wouldn't mind trying to get.
Leisa, we must have the same birds! They steal the Spanish Moss and peck at the coconut fibre basket liners too. I Move the Spanish moss around all over the place, and have a big clump growing in behind some shrubs, which the birds haven't found in all the years I've had it. I continually take bits off it for various projects. I think birds occasionally take labels too, as I've had a couple go missing, with no sign!
Jean, I guess we'll all have to wait to see your new babies in their glory! Your new brom house will look spectacular with all the plants you've collected.
Marlene, how exciting! I have the baby of your Vriesea ospinae, and its awhile from flowering yet, but yours is nearly there! Your Billbergia looks great in the hanging basket.
Well done everyone! keep up the good work with all these photos and such. I guess I'd better find something to put up too?
This is Aechmea 'Nivea', flowering now.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
north coast nsw, Australia

pimmento

Thumbnail by breeindy
gladstone qld, Australia

Hi everyone,
Bromalong(Mike) has invited me to join your group(i'am being nice when i say invited).I'am Max & the owner of the garden that Mike posted some photo's of on this site back on 22/07.Thank you all for your gracious comments.I'am not very good at anything involved around computers but I try & don't have a lot of spare time,what time I do have usually goes into up keeping of my home & of course garden.I am very passionate about my broms.Although I have a lot you never seem to stop collecting & unfortunately i have been bitten my the ebay bug over the last 18 months & have increased my tribe rapidly over that time.I have been collecting mini neos mainly lately & have over 250 different ones gathered in the last 12 months.I as yet don't have any photos stored or even know how to do that or put any on this site-but Mike has assured me that he will show me how its done.If anyone has any questions i will try to help/answer or whatever.

Hi everyone.,We had 10mm of rain last night all most as good as getting a new brom ! had the most amazing start to the year! started to rain on 14 Dec and went through to 16 March almost 100 day of rain and cloud over 1.2 meters of rain but since then very little so 10mm is worth crowing about "crow crow crow "Breeindy that a very nice pimmento it's one of the Neo's that keeps me intrested in neos, Jean I think that first one is Aec Blue Cone you will have fun with the others,Marlene my Viresea ospine is also comming into flower, they can become a very large plant over time, they are one of the few broms that keeps on growing after they have flowered I thought mine was large at almost 1 meter with around 10 heads till i seen one that has 25 heads and 1.5 meters from start to end, Sue I have a couple of different clones of V ospine gurber (or more correctly three toes) but never have seen one with purple in it must be a funtastic thing to see (another plant to keep a look out for)
pic is Guzmaina Moonlight cheers

This message was edited Aug 6, 2010 6:39 AM

Thumbnail by bromalong

welcome Max

Brisbane, Australia

Great to meet you Max. Your photos are very inspiring especially as your space is limited like a lot of us. Have you been collecting for a long time? What are some of your favourite broms? Marlene, I love your gruberi. I didn't know the flower was such a pretty colour.Love all the pretty pics, everyone. Feels like spring is in the air. Mike, I have a Vr. ospinae gruberi like your 3 toed one. What sort of flower does it have? Love your G.'Moonlight'. This is Guzmania Bahai.
Jen

Thumbnail by brombirdie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.