Things to cheer us up on bleak days...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is just beautiful. I think wet roots and those white soft scale bugs are my issue. They had all been doing so well and then we started to traveling back in Oct/Nov and I noticed a decline. It was a tough period on many of my plants, they just don't get the same care. I tossed a few last month and repotted several others into terracotta orchid pots and cleaned them well with alcohol wipes. I usually take mine to the sink and give them a shower but I got a bit lazy and just started to water them and I know some sat in water longer than they should have. When I found those new baby leaves yesterday they had that scale on them so they got wiped immediately HOLLY.

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

I have been using the Adams dog flea spray for the scales using a q-tip that I dip in the spray let them sit for a while then rince the orchids with a water spray. Also I use the containers that I get my Wonton soup in they makes perfect orchid pots. I put holes on the sides about half an inch from the bottom put about an inch and half of foam peanuts this way they drain and the water sitting at the bottom of the pot give's them moisture without soaking the roots. The pots are light and easy to handle. You can keep track of the root system this way . As a matter of fact I noticed that at of the orchid shows dealers are selling semi clear plastic pots , I been doing this for years...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from orchidfancy :
I have been using the Adams dog flea spray for the scales using a q-tip that I dip in the spray let them sit for a while then rince the orchids with a water spray..

Brilliant!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's great info, Orchid. You are speaking Greek to me with these tropicals. But the techniques translate well to other plants.Don't Orchids require high humidity?

Some orchids require more heat and moisture than others. Due that I don't have greenhouse condition I have to settle for certain species that will do well in a home environment, such as some cattleyas, oncidiums, phaleanopsis and cymbidium because I am able to give it the cold environment that a cym require When you are dealing with phaleonopsis and oncidiums they are les picky. they require about the same thing as african violets. As a mater of fact I have quite a few with my violets. I usualy use a larger saucer for them so the water drain and form a pool around the pot . Remember that I have one inch or two of foam peanuts at the bottom of the pot too, so their roots do not stay wet. Those on the baker's rack are over a draining tray . The one in the room where we have the fireplace are with the african violets and the begonias. That room is extremely cool other than when the fireplace is on.The one orchid with the african violets is at least 15 years old and was taken care of by my husband which mean neglected for several years when I had a business out of town and it survived the neglect and bloom's faithfully once a year for three months at the time. That side of the house has morning sun only fully exposed from the fall to in about two weeks when the sun is going to be too hot for the violets and the orchids . At that point I will have sheers for the rest of the spring and the summer. Picture orchid on the baker's rack

Thumbnail by orchidfancy

Orchid with the african violets

Thumbnail by orchidfancy

Last night was such a treat , the big old possum was searching for food on my porch . I had Some cat food for him and one apple cut in small pieces , I also had made pizza earlier and he came all the way to the door and was sniffing . I guess the pizza smell attracted him, then he went and started to eat what was in the dish, sorry no pizza.... I had hot chocolate....

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Orchid, You are giving great information here. I never realized that some Orchids could grow without humidity. I never could grow those miniature gardenias either. They always dried up and lost all of their leaves.

I never keep many houseplants, but did this year. My Begonia collection has been a challenge, with it's humidity needs. I used to grow African violets all of the time. Some I had for more than 15 years. But my last residence had such brilliant sunlight that I had to give them away.

At Christmas, I lit the fireplace and ran it for 3 days. I couldn't believe how adversely it affected the plants. Many of them dropped a good bit of their leaves. I do have 3 humidifiers running at all times.

This little plant was a Christmas gift. It has no soil. It is growing on Volcanic Rock. The instructions said to keep it's saucer full of water. It didn't come with a tag, but seems to be similar to a small variegated Schefflera. Every couple of days it loses a few leaves. I don't think it should. What do you think?

Thumbnail by stormyla
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

stormy--

I looks like a regular variegated Shifflera. A very carer-free plant to grow!

One thing it does not like is wet feet. If it is too wet--it will drop leaves--as perhaps yours is doing....
The condition you describe that it came in seems like it was presented as a "novelty plant".....same as retail "Bonsai", which have been just put together to sell--they are NOT real Bonsai at all.
Same for those "Lucky Bamboo Plants" which are NOT bamboos at all--but a form of Dracena. Use only distilled, or bottled water on these. Dracenas abhor Chlorine....(like Spider plants) and it turns the tips of their leaves black.
There are 100's of forms of Dracena--that most of us take for granted....They are so common!

IF you want to keep this little guy--I would pot it up in a 6" or 8" pot and keep it just moist. I imagine you could pot it--rock and all--as trying to remove it from the rock may do it in--but maybe not!
It does like bright light--so near a window would be best. Allow soil to dry half way before watering it again.
These are one of the most common "tropicals" sold. Just go see HD! You can always buy another one for about $5-$6.

Hey! Knowledge is POWER!

Gita

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, it is. But I like the fact that it is growing on the rock. Maybe I'll move it to a brighter area and water it less.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I bought one of those for my DM when I was living in HI. The lava rock was 1/2 submerged in potting soil. Had that plant for over 15 years. Also had to fertilize it - I use African Violet fertilizer for everything.

And the Orchids were so easy to grow in HI!!!! Just kept them on the lanai year round and some were always flowering. The ones I brought back with me never bloomed here in MD & eventually died off.

Now I have mainly oncidiums and have pretty good luck with them re-blooming. I do try to give them a good soaking at least 1X/month. And I use a spray on orchid fertilizer on the leaves & roots periodically during the winter.

I'm so looking forward to the H&G Orchid Show in March. Then I know Spring is coming!!!!

The maryland orchid society has a show every year in Timonium it is real good with a lots of orchids and plants and what have you. The only time that my orchids get a good soak other than every weeks or weeks is during the summer when they are outside in the shade. They either get watered with everything else or they get rained upon. I give them fertiliser once a months that is it I fertilise everything else at the same time for a good measure. As a matter of fact today is fertilise the plants on the calendar..

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Orchid, When you find the date of that show, you should post it on the events thread.

Quilter, the gal who runs the soil forum lives in Hawaii. She was telling me all about how little soil there really is on top of the old lava and how what's there was ruined by the sugar cane growing. It was very interesting. Hawaii has so many beautiful flowers, I never thought about some of the soil conditions.

I have been putting liquid fertilizer drops in the water, but you've given me a good idea there. I may plant the rock halfway in soil. Drats, I just gave away the perfect pot!! Don't you just hate that?? No wonder we're all such pack rats.

Quote from stormyla :
. Drats, I just gave away the perfect pot!! Don't you just hate that?? No wonder we're all such pack rats.

YES!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I would love to know when the Orchid show in Timonium is that is just down the rd from me maybe an hours drive if that.
Stormy how bit of a pot do you need I may have just the thing.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

H&G Show is the 1st 2 weekends in Mar. The Orchid display is the 2nd weekend.
http://www.mdhomeandgarden.com/0_HG/01_HG_features.html - scroll to the bottom of the page.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Qwilter, If you post that on the events thread, Critter will add it to the list. Thanks for posting it.

I have a narrow bed against a south facing wall with a ground level window looking out. Its all melting very well. I feel sure I'll have Hawera daffodils there right on schedule, even if others are delayed. At least its a piece of garden exposed!! I can see a rosemary bush, some sweet william foliage and some shreds of daylily crowns. I should plant something extra early there so in the future I'll have early blooms even if we (shudder) ever get this much snow again.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lucky you, Sally. Nothing even close to a bare spot here.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The visit to my Dad today. He was looking so much better than yesterday.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's great, Holly!

yesterday I walked along the brick path that goes into my backyard and I notived the snowdrops are budding, The flower bed in the front of the house is almost cleared from snow and the daffodils are peeking their heads, the Witch hazel is ready to explode and I can't wait, I am so ready for spring....

This message was edited Feb 17, 2010 7:42 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't have any areas that are bare enough to see spring bulbs but I was thinking how good of a soaking my front beds will get from all this snow. I have very wide eaves and usually those beds are pretty dry after a long winter with minimal watering. This snow might be just the thing to give a good start to a few new azaleas and other perennials in those beds.

I don't even want to think about my azaleas. They are somewhere in the back yard burried in the snow . By the time that they come out they will be toast. I was able to dig my Mountain Laurel but it is all that I was able to dig the rest was too deep under this winter wonder...This is the time to rethink landscaping and making it as easy as possible. time is starting to take a toll on me that I like it or not. I must start thinking simple.... and easy care without giving up too much . Is that possible ? lol

Thumbnail by orchidfancy

Holly--thats greats. Some time by a sunny window watching the birds and getting the daylight might fix him up well. Can I join him?? I agree, some beds here that run dry for the same reason may be benefitting.

orchid--I just hope things fare better than we expect. It'll be a learning experience. Hmm, how do these things , in places like Buffalo or "near Lake Erie PA" handle the extra snow? I notice my Gold Mop juniper has been 'wrung out'. Its mighty squashed, and will not take drastic cutting back.. I would not mind reducing the size but I believe thats one that won't resprout from old wood.
The first next concern here is to make a path for the heating oil delivery we may need within a few weeks.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The neighbor way back in the woods behind us just had the delivery guy in. They only have him deliver once a year. Maybe next year they might think about having that tank filled in the summer. LOL
The delivery guy slid his truck into my Juniper hedge and had to be dug out. That didn't do the hedge any good either. Last year it was the other neighbors trying to back up a motorhome that took out a very big chunk. Ric has been telling me for years that it needs to be trimmed big time and I didn't want to listen. I'd just go out and cut back a little here and there and say that's good enough.
Talked to Mom, Dad slept better last night seems like some of these new meds are helping. I have a surprise for her. While we were at the Hosp for Dads tests they kept bringing out heated blankets for him and Mom said that heated towels were such a luxury. I found spa towel warmers at Bed, Bath and Beyond for about $70.00 going to pick one up later to give to her. Boy that will brighten my day. LOL

In summer--yeah for sure! No excuse for making it in the dead of winter!!!

Will the juniper resprout from drastic pruning? Have you seen it do so?

Ahh heated towels. That'll be great.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes it will, takes time but it will come back. I've lost big branches before just not this much at one time and several years ago the road side had a terrible die back. I used roundup under that side to kill grass and even though I thought I was very careful I had a lot of dead looking branches on that side. I still am not sure if it was that or a very nasty neighbor that lived back there years ago. So glad he is gone.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a picture taken last summer from the road side.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

My holly has so much damage, and my corksrew willow is laying on its side so my yard will require a lot of TLC after tthe snow melts if ever.... The pond is fine the fish are swimming around I checked on them yesterday. No casualties at least something good in the yard the rest is going to be the surprise of the moment.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lots of damage every where. I found that from the ice dripping off of the roof, my Camellias are now ice encrusted. Don't know how bad that's going to be on the plants.

Speaking of oil, Hart wrote and told me because of how bad the park has been with the plowing, she hasn't been able to get around much and what road she can get too are treacherous. She was stuck for a week indoors. She's now running low on wood pellets and hopes when she gets out, there will be some available.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I will be surprised if my fish aren't all toast. The energy efficient pond heater hasn't been doing a great job and the other day when Ric snow blowed a path out to the bird feeders he cut the power cord to the pond heater so I guess it will be a wait and see for the fish and frogs. Bright note my Hibiscus is blooming.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

OH no, I hope the fish haven't become casualties to the bird's needs. Let's hope for the best. People keep telling me that they don't heat their ponds or run their pumps in the winter. They say if it's deep enough, the fish don't freeze. I guess that there are microclimates effecting fish too.

My bright spot for today is that more than 3/4's of the plants that I brought in last fall are doing well and yesterday I discovered that my Orange Clivia is growing a bloomstalk.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2010 11:06 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well it is deep enough but the gasses build up and you don't have enough oxygen in the water sometimes with small ponds. We have always had a heater in it but two years ago the old one died and we replaced it with this new energy efficient one that I thought would be really nice. Just hasn't worked out for us this season. Too much freezing rain and snow.

I have had a pond for the past 20 years. Until last year I had a large one and a small one I always kept the water running and never had any casualties. Other than the time the pump died in the smaller pond and I was not there to take care of it. Even that the pond was 48" I lost all my fish and all the frogs and you talk about a smelly mess to clean up when the pond thawed... Also heart breaking. Last year I rebuilt the large pond made it deeper all around ranging from 48" on one end to 12 on the other it is 8x14 feet, I also cleared the small pond out and replaced with a small patio made of concrete and recycled granite. The pump runs all winter long and all my fishs are doing fine. So long as the water is oxygenated eveything is fine.

Thumbnail by orchidfancy

I'm cheered up by every drip of MELTED snow and ice! and every rivulet down the side of the road. and every additional inch of un-icy roof gutter I can see. And that I too am having a fairly good year with the indoor plants, even while skirmishing with mites and mealy bugs.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric dug the heated bird bath out of the snow and the pond heater and got everything all plugged back in. JR is here for a sleep over, Dad is feeling better and all is right in the world (well in my world).

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ponds are a whole world unto themselves. I wonder if those folks will be saying the same thing this year. Your pond is really beautiful Orchid. Lady & Hart have very large ones too. I suspect that a certain secret garden may be planning a secret one too, Oops or would that be a topiary garden??

Sally, now that's really appreciating the small stuff, although no one could really call THAT small. No clear ground here at all yet.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Our pond has been frozen since before Christmas, I think. It is DH's "baby" so he's the one who has to worry and clean it up and out and he's been breaking ice periodically while the pump is going. We only have 3 koi (we had 10 previously) and they were still alive after the last blizzard that we could tell. I love the pond in summer--we have water lilies with pads in there that are so pretty. My son also wanted his own pond and dug one last summer. It is not finished. It should be this summer, though. He has to plant the landscape plants and hook up his Chinese lantern. He is following his dad in the Japanese garden theme idea.

I hope your fishies survive, Holly & Ric. I know there's worry there.

Meanwhile, I've enjoyed the orchid chatter!! I'm hopiing mine will bloom again, and I got another one last week--a white moth orchid. It is blooming now on the dining room table!!

BTW--the U.S. Botanic Gardens in D.C. currently has an orchid exhibit going on right now!! I suppose I should put this on the events forum? It's free. I am planning to go see it next week. I took my mother there for Christmas and we saw a lot of orchids in bloom in December!! I was delighted!! Here's a pic of my mother standing under one.

Thumbnail by Foxnfirefly
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's lovely Barb. It's so nice that your husband & son enjoy gardening too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.