Things to cheer us up on bleak days...

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

I am surprised that this year the Botanical garden did not advertise their orchid show. I go there every year with my friend . It is such a great place. Last year the show theme was the alphabet (orchids from A to Z ) great show as always. one of last year's picture

Thumbnail by orchidfancy
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Cardinal singing his head off!! "What cheer cheer cheer!" One year I had a special one that always did his last cheer funny.
Titmouse too- "peter, peter, peter!"
And you know Chicka dee dee dee dee

Having the light last longer every evening. Let's start counting down to spring equinox. Looks like 28 days, give or take! Only four weeks. When does forsythia usually bloom? I cut a few stems for forcing, since I could walk right over the mound and reach the nice long graceful tips.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2010 9:50 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have been going through old pictures, I want to scan some of them and put them into the computer. What a fun thing to do brings up the best memories. Holly

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Chatting with you all livens up my days!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Storrmy--did you call me "Barb?" I think that is DaylilyDiva's name. Ditto on the DG chats--love to parley-voo w/ya'll!!

Orchid--that's gorgeous!! Actually, I just saw an article in the Washington Post Express edition last Thursday regarding the USBG orchid exhibit. It will be my first time to see the orchids in prime time. I've seen their azalea exhibits a couple of times. Last Christmas, they incorporated orchids into the Christmas theme displays. And that was the first time I've seen orchids with dwarf firs, hollies and poinsettias. It was kind of surprising and very pleasing!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Foxy, Sorry, Had just been speaking to Barb, when I posted. Yes, I also love that you showed us the picture of your mom.

In the Fall the Washington Area Orchids Society has their show at the National arboretum, it is a show worth seeing. Their display are magnificent and their sales areas is one of the best. I never miss it , and never come back empty handed LOL. They also have an auction in the spring.

Spring peepers--always make me happy. On those early warm nights that are not so far off. I seem to be writing poetically, out of laziness, I delete some words! I really should learn to type properly.

I dug around my main daylily area (it is pretty small and in full sun with a wall behind it) and am happy to see nubbins from every one that I have labeled out there. I was worried about those that doggie threw dirt over. Why oh why do all critters love your best dirt? Found a vole hole there too. (Ignore those last three sentences; they are not in the spirit of cheer!)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL It cheers me to know that I'm not alone in the vole problem. It cheers me that maybe in a few days, I'll be able to see some dirt and check on my nubbies!

The snow has receeded far enought so that I can see the snow drops in buds and some have actually opened yesterday ....Some of my daffodils are budding in the front bed against the house , the cardinal is courting his lady , spring is not far, now that is a cheering thought...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I thought of this thread first thing this morning but just got my pics down loaded. I was up very early this morning so I watched the sun rise. I'm sad to say that by the time I thought to get the camera the best of it was over but here are the last dregs of a beautiful sunrise. Holly

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

beautiful sunrise.....

Its nice when a dreary day begins and/ or ends with a few minutes of sun rise or sunset, the sun reaching out from the far away edge or the clouds. Though cloudy here today, I prefer this to cold rain.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yesterday I was at the bank drive through and noticed their Willow was full of Catkins. That brought a real smile to my face!

I can now see a bit of green under the really big trees. The rest of the place is still covered in at least a foot of snow, but this rain is doing a great job to diminish it.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

MY Orange Clivia is blooming!! That's more than enough to cheer me up!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My divisions from last year are all still in my cold semi-dark basement "settling in".....
They ARE growing new leaves out of the centers--but I don't expect them to do much of anything until they get outside in the nice, fresh, humid air.
IF they were to bloom--I would be ecstatic--as I had intentions of advertising and selling most of them.
Perhaps next year?

Sad accommodations--but this is all the room I could find for them.....There is a regular shop light above them I keep on all day (unless I forget) and turn it off at night.

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

!!!!!Seed Swap!!!!!!
Do I need to say more? LOL

The sun is out!!

wait, no it's not.

...Oh yes it is!

oh, wait it's gone again...

Quick, there it is, go look!....

Well-- I was happy to have sun coming in when I opened my eyes this morning, and intermittently thru the day...including right now.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yay, I can see lots of green! Well, at least out front and on the one side of the house!

Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

The snow piles blocking the garden boxes have melted. We're expecting rain and an inch or two of snow today. So, I filled all the feeders, opened the garden boxes, gave them all a good, long, drink of water, then took pictures.! It looks as if I'll have a few early spring vegetables, after all! Here is the pac choi and napa chinese cabbage.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2010 11:44 AM

Thumbnail by jfleming
Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

The brocolli is hanging in there!

Thumbnail by jfleming
Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

I'll soon have a salad!

Thumbnail by jfleming

Julie- I think they look great!!!!! They will pop like crazy with a little more warmth. My dad gave me a couple bundles of scrap wood-- I am really keeping your boxes in mind for next fall.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Julie, They really are doing great! I think you'll see some great eating within a couple of weeks. I'd say this was definitely worth the effort. You go girl!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally ;+} LOL
Julie, That looks great. Yummy
Well, I spent yesterday down in Baltimore with a couple of friends. I took them to Rawlings Conservatory. It was a secret girls date day. One of my friends has recently lost her husband of 40+ years and the other is heading for serious back surgery in the next week or so. So I called them both up and said we are having a girls day out. They had never been to Rawlings before and had no idea where I was taking them, it was a secret. After a nice couple of hours at the conservatory we had late lunch at Olive Garden before coming home. We all had such a great day. Don't they look like they are having a great day.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Holly, how nice. On the left, is that the gal who was at your swap, with all the hostas?

Holly, how nice. On the left, is that the gal who was at your swap, with all the hostas?

Thing to cheer us up==friends

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, That is Vickie, she will be having the back surgery soon. She is also going to join DG in the future.
My other friend Norma couldn't stay at the swap but she sent all those red sedums.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I thought I recognized the hosta lady. Looks like you had a great day.

Oh, I have the red sedums too! You can tell her I am enjoying them. So sorry for her loss.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly,

If that picture woild have been taken a bit more to the left--i would have seen my Ric Rac.
How is it doing? Did you notice it?

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, Holly pointed out your ric-rac and said it looked great, and that Vicki remembered you from our swap. Ric

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I have some of that Sedum too. Holly, please tell your friend that we are enjoying them as well as the Hosta. I enjoyed being able to get back to the compost pile without trudging through snow or mud!!

Looks like we've been making good use of the nicer weather, judging by the lack of chatter. I decided to get rid of a failing twenty yr old rosemary and put a healthy two yr old in its place. That old one was getting messy, sticking in the path and lopsided. Its easier to be cheered when you can dig in real dirt and feel the sun and hear the robins. Today I may prune raspberries.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Yesterday was wonderful, took house dog for a walk. It was kind of like one of those pictures where you try to figure whats wrong--people in t-shirts shoveling snow.
There is a shrub in the backyard of the townhouse that the snow has broken up, I think I may prune it back to revive it. I don't know what it is.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.