Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Things to cheer us up on bleak days... , 1 by orchidfancy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright orchidfancy

In reply to: Things to cheer us up on bleak days...

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Things to cheer us up on  bleak days...
orchidfancy wrote:
Some orchids require more heat and moisture than others. Due that I don't have greenhouse condition I have to settle for certain species that will do well in a home environment, such as some cattleyas, oncidiums, phaleanopsis and cymbidium because I am able to give it the cold environment that a cym require When you are dealing with phaleonopsis and oncidiums they are les picky. they require about the same thing as african violets. As a mater of fact I have quite a few with my violets. I usualy use a larger saucer for them so the water drain and form a pool around the pot . Remember that I have one inch or two of foam peanuts at the bottom of the pot too, so their roots do not stay wet. Those on the baker's rack are over a draining tray . The one in the room where we have the fireplace are with the african violets and the begonias. That room is extremely cool other than when the fireplace is on.The one orchid with the african violets is at least 15 years old and was taken care of by my husband which mean neglected for several years when I had a business out of town and it survived the neglect and bloom's faithfully once a year for three months at the time. That side of the house has morning sun only fully exposed from the fall to in about two weeks when the sun is going to be too hot for the violets and the orchids . At that point I will have sheers for the rest of the spring and the summer. Picture orchid on the baker's rack