February Weather - Did the Groundhog see his shadow?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! I thought I'd get this started for us, but I don't have time to comment on anything. I'll be back this afternoon!
(photo from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Closeup_groundhog.jpg)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I sure got something started when I remarked about the directions in which rivers flow but we are all agreed, I believe, that they do run downhill. LOL
Marylyn: I sure hope the groundhog didn't see his shadow because I do not want 6 more weeks of winter!! LOL
Joey: thanks! :o)) It seems you are warmer today than yesterday morning!
Kiska's DH had surgery on his foot but he is home now. Jackie, I sure hope that Frank gets better every day! Give him our regards!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~waving to everyone.

Today: Partly cloudy. High of 52F
Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low 32F. Winds light and variable.
Tomorrow: Some clouds in the morning will give way to mainly sunny skies for the afternoon. High 52F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Happy Ground Hog day!!

I'm baaack! LOL! Here's what's been going on. You know I've been on facebook. I have reconnected with around 70 old friends that I went to school with from kindergaten up. Some I have not seen or spoken to in 30 years, others up to 36 years. It has been an amazing experience. We are planning a mini reunion sometime in June in Bellaire. That's what has been going on.

I plan on doing a lot of catching up here. I need to get back up to speed. Our temps have been anywhere from 25* to 80*. We're on our 3rd day of rain, nothing crazy, just a good soaker.

I'm at work now, don't tell anyone, but I wil check back in later today.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

As for the Ground Hog...
Stew at My place... 6:30 PM ... Casual Dress... BYOB... Hot Tub opens at 8 PM

Ric

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Don I spent the first 33 1/2 years of my 37 years in Modesto.

What a cutie Music!!

Currently At 8:52AM
Cloudy
38°F
RealFeel®
39°F
Winds: WSW
at 3mph
Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 34° F
Pressure: 30.15 in
Visibility: 6 Miles

Today
Cloudy in the morning...becoming partly sunny. Highs in the lower 50s. North winds 5 mph.

Tonight
Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 20s. Northeast winds 5 mph.

(Zone 7a)

I, too, am waving at everyone!!!

Good to see you again, Sharon. We missed you! So fun to find and catch up with old friends.

Ric, I'm on my way! LOL I don't know if I want any "Groundhog Day stew."

34.4 °F with 43º for the high. It got to 46º yesterday and I got some of the dead stuff cleared out of the front bed. The cats enjoyed the sun, too.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 34 °F
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 15 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.07 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Spring needs to make an appearance soon!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

Hi all and thanks for the new threads I've followed to catch up.
Welcome, Don. Great place to be is right here seeing the weather/photos and friends worldwide.
20*F
Sunrise: 9:16
Sunset: 5:05
Gain of daylight today: 5m 30 sec.
Hope the bad luck run is ending and that those that have been sick are feeling better.
We've been getting ready for DH foot surgery w/getting the house safer for him as he'll be on crutches for about 2 months, if not longer. After the right foot heals, the left foot will have the same surgery. Excuse the copy/paste, but sure is convenient:))
" Yesterday my DH had surgery we'd scheduled. It's for bone/spur/Achellies tendon problem. We went to Anchorage for it and it went well. He'll be on crutches for a couple of months, and then, the left foot will have the same surgery. We've been busy w/Dr. appts and getting the house and van ready for this, so have been away ahile.
Our daughter came w/us to Anchorage, and our son came to the house to help get DH settled. Long recovery ahead, but at the end, we plan to be hiking on nearby Hatcher Pass by summer's end".
Note how small the left foot, (white sock), looks compared the "trophy bandage".
Thanks so much marsue-I was not sure just when I could post again. He's now been awake, had breakfast, and is again resting.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

love that bright pic, kwanjin.
As a side-note, today is the first offical day of Alaska's answer to "ground-hog" day. It's our "Marmot Day" today.
A pic I took last summer of a Marmot up at Hatcher Pass.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 7a)

Kiska, I know waaaay more than I want to about foot surgeries, having had 5 myself. My sympathies to him!

We lived in WY for a year and had a marmot living under the house. He was hard to remove!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Early spring here, as per Mr. Groundhog. That would bejust awesome since we really got ripped off last spring.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

In Bellaire, Sharon?? Cool! We need to get together! :-)

I think I'll pass on the stew, Ric, but the hot tub sounds good. LOL

Poor Frank... My mom had that surgery a long time ago, and the recovery is NOT fun. It was worth it in the end, though. :-)

Ok, gotta run again... I hate days when I don't know if I'm coming or going!!!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

All of the things that go on, we could start our own reality show. We'd call it "The Peeps", of course.

Kiska, I hope your DH gets to feeling better soon. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't walk (besides get even fatter).

Someone a few days ago - I think it was E_B - asked if I use a neti pot. I have something along those lines and I use it when my nose feels dry, but maybe I should use it every day. It can't hurt. Anyway, I think my cold is pretty much done. Since last Friday, I have been very itchy. I get that way from dry air, but this isn't going away with lotion and humidifier. Then I thought maybe it was soy milk or walnuts, both of which I got at the store on Thursday and both of which I don't use very often. However, it's been 24 hours now since I last ate either and I am still somewhat itchy. I think that maybe it is an excessive buildup of either termite spray or window sealant. I have opened a bunch of windows to air out the house and the swelling of my lips and tongue has gone down. (Nothing dangerous there, just abnormal). I feel like soaking my whole self in a vat of warm oil.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 11:51 AM PST on February 02, 2010
62 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 43 °F
Wind: 5 mph from the South

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

30s and sunny today. Probably low 30s since it felt cold.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark, 36° yesterdays snow gave way to last nights rain, at least it is not cold enough to freeze.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good morning! We got another 2" of snow yesterday & the temp hung aroung 30° for the most part of the day. It gradually rose & by 9:00pm is was up to 35°. Right now...
Cloudy: 37°F
Feels like: 28°F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 30°
Humidity: 75%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 13 mph W
Sunrise: 7:25 AM
Sunset: 5:50 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Marylyn, Thanks for the new thread! :D
Mau, It it has warmed up considerably! ;) But I think that we are in for a doozy come Friday. Sleet & snow on Friday, changing to all snow on Saturday. It's odd how all the snow (or most of it) is hitting on the week ends. :)
Dyson? Did the 'dancing' help? :)
Ric, How was the stew? Sorry I didn't make it! ;)
Sharon! There you are! It's great that you are reconnecting w/ old 'buds'. :D How are Jeff & the boys? and your precious 'poochies'?
Kelli! That sounds like a Major reaction to something! :-O Please take care & I hope you figure out what has caused it.
Kiska, I hope Frank recovers quickly. It will be great to go hiking again w/ no pain! ;) Thinking of you all as Frank heals....
Celia! ~~~waving~~~

The local groundhog (Concord Charlie) did not see his shadow! So you all know what that means! ;)

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Way to go Concord Charlie!

Looks like THAT GH is seeing his shadow! lol!

Ric

Kiska my goodness that's some bandage! Wishing him a quick recovery.

I wonder if we have a local groundhog, but it wouldn't matter because it was pretty sunny here yesterday.

Currently At 8:43AM
Intermittent Clouds
30°F
RealFeel®
36°F
Winds: CLM
at 0mph
Clouds And Sun
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 28° F
Pressure: 30.32 in
Visibility: 4 Miles

Today
Mostly sunny. Areas of freezing fog in the morning. Highs in the mid 40s. Northeast winds 5 mph in the morning... becoming east in the afternoon.

Tonight
Cloudy. A slight chance of rain after midnight. Lows in the lower 30s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. The chance of precipitation 20 percent after midnight. Average rainfall less than 1/10 inch.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Feb 3, 8:53 am CST

Fog/Mist

28 °F
(-2 °C)
Humidity: 92 %
Wind Speed: E 5 MPH
Barometer: 30.29" (1026.5 mb)
Dewpoint: 26 °F (-3 °C)
Wind Chill: 23 °F (-5 °C)
Visibility: 4.00 mi.

Rusty and JuJu playing in my room... While I'm on computer! lol...
JuJu's today 3 months old...Growing too fast!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
(Zone 7a)

Juju is certainly getting big. I think she's twice the size than when you got her.

Joey, JW is just the cutest little guy!

Sharon, ditto to what Kiska said, plus, Gary. How is he these days?

33.4 °F with 40º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 33 °F
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 23 °F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the NW
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 29.95 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Rusty, that's so cute! Happy 3 months, Juju!
Jackie, give my well wishes to Frank and tell him I'm praying for a quick healing. Sending you both hugs!
Sharon, that's so cool to meet your ex-colleagues on Facebook! I found one of my ex-colleagues through a DG friend!
Joey, JW is such a beautiful kid! Glad you could take a picture of your doggie too!

Still very cold here, but the sun comes out during the day and it's warmer. Beautiful sunset yesterday.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Aweee, what a pretty little bird!

(Zone 7a)

He's a downy woodpecker, Adina. He comes by every once in awhile.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Aweee, Celia...like he says : OK, you found me down here too!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

Ooooooo! I love that pic!!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Today DSL kicks in, so I won't have a computer till the new ones come and are hooked up. So, I need to do my business and get off the computer. I'll crawl into a cocoon and emerge as a butterfly in a week or so :o) See you all then!!!

17º and sunny. Nice with no breeze. We have an inch of snow on the ground again.

Cat TV.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 7a)

Oh, good luck, Sally!

Cat TV...(snort!)

Oh how cute! I just love the ki ki pics!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!

Love to watch the cats after they've been holed up for a few weeks.

We had snow spitting all day.

Worked outside cutting lumber for the new SR Project.

36° and the Pond is about thawed out.

Ric

(Zone 3b)

18*F freezing fog/looks beautiful on the trees and snow.
Thanks for the well wishes-today is going well and he is a good patient. Tuesday we go get the "trophy bandage" off and it's to be replaced w/one less impressive:))
JuJu had a birthday~cute and growing up; just like "our" JW, love seeing the photos.
Joey, so sorry that there were so many fish lost. How are things by now?
Adina~your sunrise/set photos are awesome. Hopefully the pipes are thawed and remain that way.
ric~I've missed a project:)) what's next for the SRoom?
bp~see you soon. Last week we changed internet/email, telephone and tv providers and it reasonably well.
loving the kitty pics, too.
Sharon~to have found so many friends through facebook is great; enjoy the reunion.
chrissyr~no ground hogs here, either. No matter the outcome, there's still plenty of winter in the forecast.
Moose on the deck looking for leftovers/dried plants. (Not taken today, but could have been).

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

thanks for the new thread, Marylyn.
Hey, Sharon! Welcome back. You've been away far too long.
Yeah, Ric: was the GH stew any good? Sorry I missed it--NOT! LOL Are you all supposed to get that major snow event this week-end?
Crissy: you should post that accuweather report over here about the major weather event expecxted this week-end.
Celia: daffodils! Mine haven't bloomed yet--they are trying but the latest round of snow has delayed them. I should have some muscari blooming soon. I need to go out and check on my hellebore, too. LOL at Monty. Does he realize that he is our entertainment here on the weather thread? Love the woodpecker! I had one downy to visit my bird feeder last season but only saw him a few times.
Kelli: Sorry about the swelling of the tongue and lips--hope you are over that now. Have you figured out what caused it? You could always have Ric drain his hot tub and fill it with oil if you want a good soak! LOL
Joey: JW! :o)) precious, as usual!
Adina: gorgeous sunset!
BP: CAT tv--roflol! Were they "Birdwatching"? good luck with the computers. See you when you get back!

tonight's and tomorrow's weather forecast:
# Tonight: Cloudy with occasional showers overnight. Low 34F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
# Tomorrow: Periods of rain. Temps nearly steady in the mid to upper 30s. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We crossed, Kiska. Glad Frank is doing well and that he is a good patient! That makes things easier for you.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I am a big bundle if itch today. I don't know what is causing it. We went to the beach for a while to see if it felt any better to get out of the house, but it didn't. I am going to the doctor tomorrow. I have these huge welts like silver dollars and cortisone cream and antihistamine don't seem to be doing anything. :-(

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PST on February 03, 2010
68 °F
Clear
Humidity: 24%
Dew Point: 30 °F
Wind: 6 mph from the NW

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

35* and feels like 30. Major winter storm arriving sometime tomorrow and will dump up to 5 inche around here. Our high today was in the middle 40s. Didn't even need my coat. lol

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! ~~~waving~~~ We had 3" of new snow yesterday. I've got to tell ya, I don't know if you all have the brine solution sprayed on your roads or if it's just VA, but that stuff really works! WV doesn't have it & you can surely tell it! It's like night & day crossing over from one state(WV) into the other(VA). Well, all the talk at work says that we're gonna get 30+" of snow this week end. What do you all think? The guys on the local weather only says 'significant' amounts. I reacon they can't commit, yet. ;)

Kiska, Glad to hear that Frank is behaving himself. ;) I hope he continues to improve in 'leaps & bounds'. The fish that we lost are going to be replaced. What had happened is that when the power went off & then came back on, it tripped a braker & only a few of the tanks (6 counting the Koi in the pond) were affected. They were all 55 gallon tanks & the Koi pond is 180 g's. But we only lost the largest fish..because they required more O2 & weren't getting it. Luckily the Koi pond didn't have a cover. btw, Love the moose! Looks like they got caught off guard! ;)
Kelli, I hope that you get better soon...
Rusty! JuJu is really growing! :D You have 2 pretty pups. :) JuJu really loves Rusty! :D
Sally! LOL! Cat TV!! HAHAHAHA
Adina! Wow! What a Gorgeous Pic! :D
Celia, Thanks...How do you do it?! You pic is Perfect! And Monty! LOL! You've caught him in the act! :D He looks so guilty!
Ric, Yep This little GH Did see his shadow! ;) We will be making a snowman this week end! Last week ends snow was so podwery that it wouldn't even stick, but I have a feeling that this week ends will be just right!;)

See ya'll tomorrow...
Joey

(sorry, I cut Jack's nose off...won't be still for a second!)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Poor Jack!
He looks like a giant Pug...lol!

kiska glad he's doing so well!
That is ONE BIG BANDAGE!

Pepper's Storm, hey we have to blame someone, will be moving into here Friday.
Looks like 4" of snow after an ice bath.

We worked outside today cutting lumber for the new Sewing Room Surprise...
Nice out there 40 ° but it did spit a little snow.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh Kelli, I hope it isn't hives.

Don

Temperature: 46.4 °F
Dew Point: 45.3 °F
Humidity: 96%
Wind Speed: 4.6mph
Wind Gust: 4.6mph 20.0mph - -
Wind: ESE
Pressure: 29.99in
Precipitation: 0.41in

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm glad you're going to the doctor tomorrow, Kelli!! I'm worried about you...

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin'! :D Well for right now, and keep in mind that things are subject to change, the weather service if calling for 5" or more of snow & sleet for Friday. Saturday it will all turn to snow & we will get way more than 5" of just snow. My guess is that Garrett will be working at the farm all week end tending the Holsteins & I will be parking my car at the bottom of the hill (along w/ everybody else!)
Dyson Dark!: 28°F
Feels like: 28°F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 19°
Humidity: 69%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:24 AM
Sunset: 5:51 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Ric! LOL! I won't tell him that I made him look like a pug! ;) OK, I give up...what's the surprise going to be? A door, a shelf? You'll have to tell me, because sometimes I just don't get things. :) And we are blaming Pepper? We could blame Marylyn too! ;)
Kelli, Keep taking the Benydryl! When the hives start to connect & make larger ones....Please take care!
Mau, will all of your weather be as rain?
Dyon, just when you thought that you had gotten your car free of snow....

Take care today! and have a good one! :D
Joey

This message was edited Feb 4, 2010 6:12 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper: I guess your truck will be muddy again after your expected round of snow arrives?
Ric: you are keeping us in suspense with all these surprises! Don't suppose you will be doing much work outside today, huh?
Kelli: please do get that rash taken care of. It sounds like an extremely bad case of hives, to me. You may never know what caused it, though. Years ago I ate some blackberry cobbler one night--woke up in the wee hours itching with big whelps all over my body--didn't eat blackberries again for years but I tried them again and haven't had any more trouble. Yum--I love blackberry cobbler!
Joey: Poor Jake--a pug! LOL Be careful in all the new snow you are supposed to be getting! I have a granddaughter who lives at the bottom of a hill in Branson, MO. Only thing is the bottom of the hill is at the edge of a "cliff" overlooking Table Rock Lake. A couple of years ago she tried to drive down the hill to her driveway when it was snowed/iced in. Bad mistake! She literally had to jump out of her car to save herself when it slid off the road and went over the side! She was banged up but, thank God, no broken bones, etc. It was very scary! Needless to say, she hasn't done that again! Now she parks her car on a level spot at the top of the hill and walks up to the car if she needs to get "out".

100% chance of rain right now--I woke up to the sound of rain dripping off the eaves of the house. No snow predicted for our area--just the liquid form of precip.
# Today: Cloudy with periods of rain. Temps nearly steady in the mid to upper 30s. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall around a half an inch.
# Tonight: Rain showers early becoming more intermittent overnight. Low 37F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

The ground hog did not see his shadow here.

Crissy – LOL! I left Bellaire/Houston back in ’84. It’s been a real treat getting to know all of them again.
Celia – {{waving}} I am waiting for Spring, but not anticipating the steamy heat of Summer.
Kiska – Glad to hear your DH is doing well after his surgery. I know he is not looking forward to going through it again, but he will be much happier and more comfortable when it’s all finished. Cute pic of the marmot!
Marylyn – Absolutely I will let you know when I’ll be in town! I’ll be staying with a friend while there. I was planning on this month, but with the tendonitis still not healed in my knees I decided against it. I’m still having difficulties getting around :P
Kelli – I hope you feel better soon and figure out what is causing the problem. Sending healing thoughts your way.
Joey – Look at that sweet little man! He is precious! Jeff and the boys are doing good. Gary is still in remission (yay)!! Justin is almost 18 (he still thinks he’s 35), and Prissy, Pea, Callie, Boo and Sylvester are good too! Peanut is a joy to have!
Rusty – Love the pic of Rusty and Juju! So glad they are getting along so well!
Adina – Thanks! Pretty sunset! Hope your pipes stayed thawed :/
Celia – What is Monty getting into? LOL!
Sally – Cat TV LOL! Cute! We’ll see you in a week!
Kiska – I’ve missed the moose pics. Love it!
Mau – Hi! Yes I know I was gone too long. I just got caught up in the memories!
Joey – I hate to hear you lost some fish, but glad they are going to be replaced. Give Jack some love from me!
Ric – You are still busy! I know you guys are glad to get the sewing rooming going.

I’ll have to catch up more later. Have to go to work!

54.0 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 48 °F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the South
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph
Pressure: 30.24 in (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 11 am this morning to 7 PM EST this evening...

Today
Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. A slight chance of showers in the morning...then chance of showers in the afternoon. High 58. Northeast winds increasing to 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Peanut in her valentines dress :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.